• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mistake? Just purchased the points program

CTF2006

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I have visited HWOR several times since they opened. This last weekend we listened to the new program and it seemed like a good idea to purchase 1100 points $20 per point and negotiated 150,000 WOH points. I thought since we typically spend more than $200 nt when we vacation it seemed to make sense. Seemed like a lot more flexibility with II and WOH and Oasis etc.

I have since read some bad things on FB about it but I’m confused if it’s bad just for current owners or also new purchasers like ourselves.
Please help. I’d like to cancel before it’s too late if we should! Thanks so much in advance!

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
My husband and I have visited HWOR several times since they opened. This last weekend we listened to the new program and it seemed like a good idea to purchase 1100 points $20 per point and negotiated 150,000 WOH points. I thought since we typically spend more than $200 nt when we vacation it seemed to make sense. Seemed like a lot more flexibility with II and WOH and Oasis etc.

I have since read some bad things on FB about it but I’m confused if it’s bad just for current owners or also new purchasers like ourselves.
Please help. I’d like to cancel before it’s too late if we should! Thanks so much in advance!
Definitely cancel. First that is not enough points to do much with. Learn more on here about resale. We don't buy less than 2000 points. You can buy a resale week there for more points and less money. I'm sure more folks will respond as well. Descend and take your time

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Rescind immediately before your rescission period expires. Follow the rescission directions explicitly, as stated in your contract. As Tucson has stated, 1100 points is not enough to get a week in peak season at any of the Hyatt resorts. Rescind first, and then consider buying an actual deeded fixed week on the resale market. much better value at a fraction of the price.

Last edited:

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resend ASAP! Go do it now.

After you have done that, come back, read the info on this board. You will see that you can have the same thing for pennies on the dollar. You should also look at the other systems in order to make sure Hyatt fits for you, your family, and future plans. There are tons of very helpful folks on these boards who will go out of their way to help you get what you want, and for significantly less than what the developer is trying to get you to pay.

CTF2006

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the replies! I’m happy we didn’t lose out on the $. I thought the new program sounded like a great deal.
I appreciate your quick responses! Thanks so much for saving us from a big mistake!

CTF2006

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh one last question! The sales guy said we didn’t need many points bc we can use “Getaways”. For example staying in Mexico at Hyatt Zilara (he showed us on the computer it was $45 per night) and then just use our points for more expensive places like Breckinridge.

So I’m guessing Getaways aren’t really as good as he made them out to be? Do we still get use of Getaways with resale’s?

After researching I realize we clearly we don’t have enough trading power for Breckinridge!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Oh one last question! The sales guy said we didn’t need many points bc we can use “Getaways”. For example staying in Mexico at Hyatt Zilara (he showed us on the computer it was $45 per night) and then just use our points for more expensive places like Breckinridge.

So I’m guessing Getaways aren’t really as good as he made them out to be? Do we still get use of Getaways with resale’s?

After researching I realize we clearly we don’t have enough trading power for Breckinridge!
Welcome to Tug, so glad you found us in time.

Owning a Hyatt week allows you membership in Interval International which gives you the ability to buy getaways. The low price getaways are for off season places. This getaway feature is available to all interval members not only Hyatt owners. They used it to hype up the sale, not a good reason to buy a timeshare.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Did he mention that Hyatt Zilara is all inclusive and you add 100 per person per night to the cost of the getaway? Always take what sales says with a grain of salt or ask to see it in writing.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
You get the idea: RESCIND now.....

Even if you do find that buying from the developer is exactly what you need to do.....you need to educate yourselves first and then make a thoughtful decision on your own timeline!!!
Actually, I'm sure you'll find that a deeded resale week will give you much better value for your vacation dollars.

Cheers!

Funny: Two auto-correct errors on the same word (3 including the one I stopped on my post) Don't Descend or Resend....Rescind!!! (my choice was even worse--Resin)

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ha, ha , I noticed that too late to rescind my message. We were all in such a rush to get the message out. I do wonder how sales can sleep at night. Good for you CTF in finding TUG in time!

CTF2006

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did he mention that Hyatt Zilara is all inclusive and you add 100 per person per night to the cost of the getaway? Always take what sales says with a grain of salt or ask to see it in writing.

No of course he didn’t! (Eye roll) Good to know! That sure adds up fast!

You get the idea: RESCIND now.....

Funny: Two auto-correct errors on the same word (3 including the one I stopped on my post) Don't Descend or Resend....Rescind!!! (my choice was even worse--Resin)

That IS funny! LOL

Ok we did our rescind letter thanks to all of you! Husband is on his way to post office now to mail it. We triple checked our contact and used a template I found on the forum.
I can’t thank you all enough!

I would love to purchase soon since Hyatt seems to be preoccupied with the Marriott merger and not taking their ROFR. Seems like a good time to buy. I love the Hyatt locations & properties but this will give us time to make sure there isn’t something that fits us better. There are SO many options it’s overwhelming!

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
No of course he didn’t! (Eye roll) Good to know! That sure adds up fast!

That IS funny! LOL

Ok we did our rescind letter thanks to all of you! Husband is on his way to post office now to mail it. We triple checked our contact and used a template I found on the forum.
I can’t thank you all enough!

I would love to purchase soon since Hyatt seems to be preoccupied with the Marriott merger and not taking their ROFR. Seems like a good time to buy. I love the Hyatt locations & properties but this will give us time to make sure there isn’t something that fits us better. There are SO many options it’s overwhelming!
Great job. You just saved yourselves a lot of money and you’ll put yourselves in position to pick up a very nice property for pennies on the dollar. And you’re right about Hyatt right now: ROFR is not being exercised except in extreme cases, so there are some really good values out there.

Next steps:

1. Read the stickies thoroughly to learn how Hyatt works. Since you already seem sold on Hyatt as a system, you already know its advantages (very high and consistent quality) and limitations (it’s a smaller system, so has far fewer locations than Marriott, Vistana/Starwood, or Hilton).
  2. Find a good, reputable resale broker to help squire you through the process of your first purchase. I recommend Bill Gabrielli, who specializes in Hyatt, but there are many other very good and honest brokers. And because you’re the buyer, you do not pay a sales commission or closing costs, in most cases.
  3. Redweek will give you a reasonably good idea of resale values. Remember that the listings shown are asking prices only, so there’s still room to negotiate with the seller. Your broker, however, will earn his/her commission by finding what you’re looking for.
  4. As Tucson has pointed out, you’ll be automatically enrolled into Interval International when you become an owner. II is a very good exchange company (my personal favorite), but be sure to read thoroughly the “Exchanging” forum to learn how best to utilize and leverage your membership. Because the quality of Hyatt is so high, their exchange power is also quite high, so don’t exchange your Hyatt week for a lower-quality week with an average timeshare unit unless you have a really good reason to want the exchange (e.g. you want a very specific location and the off-brand unit is the only timeshare option available in that location).
  5. Have fun, and enjoy some great vacations within the Hyatt system!

Last edited:

CTF2006

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great job. You just saved yourselves a lot of money and you’ll put yourselves in position to pick up a very nice property for pennies on the dollar. And you’re right about Hyatt right now: ROFR is not being exercised except in extreme cases, so there are some really good values out there.

Next steps:

1. Read the stickies thoroughly to learn how Hyatt works. Since you already seem sold on Hyatt as a system, you already know its advantages (very high and consistent quality) and limitations (it’s a smaller system, so has far fewer locations than Marriott, Vistana/Starwood, or Hilton).
  2. Find a good, reputable resale broker to help squire you through the process of your first purchase. I recommend Bill Gabrielli, who specializes in Hyatt, but there are many other very good and honest brokers. And because you’re the buyer, you do not pay a sales commission or closing costs, in most cases.
  3. Redweek will give you a reasonably good idea of resale values. Remember that the listings shown are asking prices only, so there’s still room to negotiate with the seller. Your broker, however, will earn his/her commission by finding what you’re looking for.
  4. As Tucson has pointed out, you’ll be automatically enrolled into Interval International when you become an owner. II is a very good exchange company (my personal favorite), but be sure to read thoroughly the “Exchanging” forum to learn how best to utilize and leverage your membership. Because the quality of Hyatt is so high, their exchange power is also quite high, so don’t exchange your Hyatt week for a lower-quality week with an average timeshare unit unless you have a really good reason to want the exchange (e.g. you want a very specific location and the off-brand unit is the only timeshare option available in that location).
  5. Have fun, and enjoy some great vacations within the Hyatt system!

Thank you walnut! I appreciate the tips! I don’t know if I’m sold on Hyatt or just that we are so familiar with them. We live in Houston so we’ve rented at HWOR in SA several times since they opened in 2006 and we do love their quality and locations.

But we’re definitely going to take this opportunity (thanks to Y’all!! Whew!) And take the time to research other companies and see what works best for us!

I can’t thank everyone enough for your help and taking the time to respond! It’s really appreciated!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If you're browsing Hyatt's, I've come to prefer the Myresortnetwork.com

It's like Redweek, but more compact. Here is the HWOR listings: http://www.myresortnetwork.com/Hyatt-Wild-Oak-Ranch/San-Antonio/Texas/

It's like any another site: if the price is too good....it probably is. If the price seems high...it probably is. But none of the crazy stuff you'll see on some websites.
you can search any Hyatt from the quick search menu. Gives you a snap-shot of the market if you take the mid-50% of the listing prices etc...

cheers.

brody24

Reaction score
Hi, I also just purchased the 880 point plan 2 days ago since my wife and I visit Hyatt resorts every year and I liked much of what I heard about the program. Also included 150,000 WOH points. I would never want a set week at a set place, and liked the idea of using points to visit various locations (we usually travel off season and have no problem avoiding Saturdays to maximize value of the points). Perhaps someone can explain why it was a mistake to purchase, because I would obviously want to rescind if it makes sense to do so.

Perhaps a better phrasing would be this: For whom would the points plan actually make sense?

Last edited:

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
Hi, I also just purchased the 880 point plan 2 days ago since my wife and I visit Hyatt resorts every year and I liked much of what I heard about the program. Also included 150,000 WOH points. I would never want a set week at a set place, and liked the idea of using points to visit various locations (we usually travel off season and have no problem avoiding Saturdays to maximize value of the points). Perhaps someone can explain why it was a mistake to purchase, because I would obviously want to rescind if it makes sense to do so.

Perhaps a better phrasing would be this: For whom would the points plan actually make sense?

I am not sure what you spent for 880 points but you probably could get 2200 points on the resell market a lot cheaper. 880 points doesn't give you much of anything! Yes, you may buy a fixed week, but you don't ever have to use your home resort (fixed week) if you desire not too, use the associated points to go other locations in the system,as you say.

brody24

Reaction score
I am not sure what you spent for 880 points but you probably could get 2200 points on the resell market a lot cheaper. 880 points doesn't give you much of anything! Yes, you may buy a fixed week, but you don't ever have to use your home resort (fixed week) if you desire not too, use the associated points to go other locations in the system,as you say.

If you buy the 2200 points (via purchasing a resale week at a home resort fixed week you never actually use), are those points different than the 880 I purchased? They referred to the 880 points as portfolio points, and the literature refers to them as such. Are the 2200 any more restricted in how/when they can be used? Or is it literally a matter of getting more of the exact same kind of points, but for less money?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I'm sure that one of the experienced Hyatt posters will reply... If you're concerned, suggest you start a new thread (in the Hyatt section?) and solicit advice.
Not sure if you've read them, but here are the Hyatt articles....

Hyatt TUG Guide
Discussion on HPP

Hope it helps....

brody24

Reaction score
I'm sure that one of the experienced Hyatt posters will reply... If you're concerned, suggest you start a new thread (in the Hyatt section?) and solicit advice.
Not sure if you've read them, but here are the Hyatt articles....

Hyatt TUG Guide
Discussion on HPP

Hope it helps....

I did read through most of the "Discussion on HPP" thread, but almost all discussion there is why existing HRC members didn't like HPP and didn't want to upgrade into it. It was hard for me to gauge why, objectively, a non-owner should or should not purchase into HPP and for what type of buyer HPP makes sense. As for the guide, I am currently reviewing since my familiarity is only with the HPP at the moment.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If you buy the 2200 points (via purchasing a resale week at a home resort fixed week you never actually use), are those points different than the 880 I purchased? They referred to the 880 points as portfolio points, and the literature refers to them as such. Are the 2200 any more restricted in how/when they can be used? Or is it literally a matter of getting more of the exact same kind of points, but for less money?

How about we agree on this?

• I know so little about the Hyatt program that I wouldn't begin to discuss it with you. I wouldn't want to 'guess' with your money.
  • Sounds like you have 'doubts.' No, strike that, you 'have doubts.'
  • You should rescind now. Why? Because you have doubts and a 1-time shot to rescind.
Keep in mind: Anything you bought last week can likely be purchased next week......for the same price or less. So, if you decide that a developer purchase is the right course for you.....they'll still sell it to you next week, month, year.

Cheers.

I hope some more experts will assist with your decision.

brody24

Reaction score
How about we agree on this?

• I know so little about the Hyatt program that I wouldn't begin to discuss it with you. I wouldn't want to 'guess' with your money.
  • Sounds like you have 'doubts.' No, strike that, you 'have doubts.'
  • You should rescind now. Why? Because you have doubts and a 1-time shot to rescind.
Keep in mind: Anything you bought last week can likely be purchased next week......for the same price or less. So, if you decide that a developer purchase is the right course for you.....they'll still sell it to you next week, month, year.

Cheers.

I hope some more experts will assist with your decision.

Thank you for the input. Looks like I have 10 days to rescind under Florida law, and I just purchased Monday, so I am within the rescission period if needed. I do indeed have some doubts the more I read on here about how resale weeks may make more sense. The advice of any of the experts on here is of course appreciated regardless.

CTF2006

TUG Member
Reaction score

Brody, I’m by far no expert but I’ve been looking at resale’s as suggested here and if you could purchase double the points for 1/4 of the price wouldn’t you want to?

I’ve found several significantly better deals than what we purchased. Significantly!

And if I understand correctly, the amount of points you and I purchased doesn’t give us much trading power so to speak. For instance my family wanted to stay in Breckinridge in December. There’s not a snowballs chance in h_ll, that will happen with 1100 points from what I’ve now been told.

Good luck with whatever you decide! Knowledge is power!

brody24

Reaction score
Brody, I’m by far no expert but I’ve been looking at resale’s as suggested here and if you could purchase double the points for 1/4 of the price wouldn’t you want to?

I’ve found several significantly better deals than what we purchased. Significantly!

And if I understand correctly, the amount of points you and I purchased doesn’t give us much trading power so to speak. For instance my family wanted to stay in Breckinridge in December. There’s not a snowballs chance in h_ll, that will happen with 1100 points from what I’ve now been told.

Good luck with whatever you decide! Knowledge is power!

I am more interested in off-season visits generally, though obviously would like to have more points at a lower cost all things equal (since that way I at least have some flexibility to possibly do a more in-season trip or to upgrade to larger apartment). Though I need to research more about the Club Use Points and what T&C govern their usage (currently reading the stickies and guides). You and I both purchased into the new portfolio points, and I don't think we are talking apples to apples in saying 880 pts vs. 2,200 pts.

CTF2006

TUG Member
Reaction score
You and I both purchased into the new portfolio points, and I don't think we are talking apples to apples in saying 880 pts vs. 2,200 pts.

I haven’t figured it out how Portfolio Points stack up to the original pts. If you find somewhere that explains it, please send me a link. Thanks!