• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tourists on Honeymoon Collide While Zip-Lining, Leaving Husband Dead and Wife Injured

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Tourists on Honeymoon Collide While Zip-Lining, Leaving Husband Dead and Wife Injured
By Samantha Schmidt/ Morning Mix/ News/ The Washington Post/ washingtonpost.com

"A newlywed Israeli couple on their honeymoon collided while zip-lining in Honduras, leaving the husband dead and the wife seriously injured, Honduran authorities said.

The wife was zip-lining amid the treetops in Roatan, the largest of Honduras’s Bay Islands, when she got stuck shortly before 1:30 p.m. Thursday, Wilmer Guerrero, commander of the Roatan Fire Department, told The Washington Post.

As she remained halfway down the cable, her husband came gliding down the zip line from behind, slamming into her, Guerrero said. The Israeli Foreign Ministry declined to name the couple, but Honduran news outlets identified the husband as 24-year-old Egael Tishman and the wife as Shif Fanken, 27.

The newlyweds were visiting Roatan as part of a Royal Caribbean Cruises trip on the Allure of the Seas ship, Owen Torres, a spokesman for Royal Caribbean, confirmed to The Post.

Two ambulances rushed to the site of the zip line, located in the French Harbor neighborhood near a highway that stretches to the north side of the island, Guerrero said. Photos in Honduran news outlets show zip-line staff members wearing orange helmets carrying the tourists out of the forested area and into ambulances.

The couple suffered a number of serious injuries, including broken ribs, Guerrero said. Both were still conscious when they arrived at the hospital.

“The young man complained that he could not breathe,” Guerrero said. “He was evaluated in the ambulance and was given oxygen.”

Guerrero was informed Friday morning that Tishman had died hours earlier.

Guerrero said he had not yet learned the cause of death, but Honduras’s Radio America reported that it may have been a brain hemorrhage.

The wife was transported by air to a hospital in the United States on Friday morning, Guerrero said. She underwent surgery and was in stable condition, Guerrero said...."

MFXDA2A2WA5Y3LRYBW5TM4JHKM.jpg

A woman zip-lines in a rain forest in Honduras. (iStock)

Richard

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
very sad to hear this.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sad! Been zip lining, and you never know. I am sure he saw it coming, not sure how you could stop it though.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
'Extreme' adventure sports in remote areas are a recipe for tragedy. If it seems unsafe and such things as helmets, gloves and padding are required, it's probably not wholly safe. This was an unfortunate way to start a marriage. I'm saddened.

Jim

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I tried to zip line in Vermont. Only did practice, I couldn’t do it. My DD and SIL did zip line in Utah they loved it. But they are young and athletic.
So sad for those newlyweds.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So tragic. I personally do not like these kind of sports. Heck- I don't like any sports! No desire to do zip lining ever- don't like heights as it is. But I know a lot of people who love it.

Just a very sad story.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Yikes, that's scary! I forwarded that article to DS & DiL as they must have been on the same zipline when their RC Cruise had a stop in Roatan a couple of years ago. They love going on a zipline in various places. I will think twice now when our grandson wants to go on the one near us, although I'm sure there are some good safety precautions there.

~Diane

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have ziplined in Hawaii (Kaua'i and Mau'i [twice]), Mexico, Canada (Vancouver and Victoria), Fiji, and New Zealand over the past 6 years. We are now 64. Our last zip was in Victoria a few weeks ago. Patti is scared of heights but loves zip lining. Every time we have zipped the Launcher has always confirmed with the Catcher that the person in front of us is safe and off the line before the next person was allowed to start. Our longest zip was over 1/2 mile. Patti is now confident enough that on our last zip she turned herself upside down during the zip.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I personally do not like these kind of sports. Heck- I don't like any sports! No desire to do zip lining ever - don't like heights as it is...

I agree with these sentiments. There is one sport that's my speed: Golf. Pretty safe.

I'm not sure I understand the need that peep have to put their bodies thru all sorts of forces and contortions for the thrill of it. Confession: I did ride the Rock'n'Roll Coaster and Harry Potter rides at Universal... but had a good reason for doing so.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with these sentiments. There is one sport that's my speed: Golf. Pretty safe.

I'm not sure I understand the need that peep have to put their bodies thru all sorts of forces and contortions for the thrill of it. Confession: I did ride the Rock'n'Roll Coaster and Harry Potter rides at Universal... but had a good reason for doing so.

Yeah, golf is pretty much my speed. In fact I am trying to increase my club head speed. Still work in progress.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
So tragic. I personally do not like these kind of sports. Heck- I don't like any sports! No desire to do zip lining ever- don't like heights as it is. But I know a lot of people who love it.

Just a very sad story.

I am sure more people die not doing sports then by doing sports. It usually is safe. Maybe he went too soon. He might have been able to brake with his hand or maybe he was turned around and he could not see his wife there. Or quite possibly he was sent without confirmation his wife made it to the other side. In the end it really does not matter what led to it.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am just someone who cannot understand why would anyone risk their lives ziplining, bungee jumping, sky diving, parasailing... It is an adrenaline rush for those who enjoy. For me it is just plain torture to be fear stricken.

It's fun!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
That will teach you to zipline, probably caused by that. ;)

No, it was probably dozens of sports, esp. since it was my dominant shoulder. I played everything that involved fast movement of the shoulder. Used to be sooo strong, now sooooo (not) strong. But roaring back! Or, maybe whimpering back.

But I really do not understand how something like this could have happened. They (the company) clearly made mistakes.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Young forever. Says the guy with shoulder surgery!

Even when I was young I was not into these kinds of things. Ok- I rode a bike and liked my swing. That's about it.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am sure more people die not doing sports then by doing sports. It usually is safe. Maybe he went too soon. He might have been able to brake with his hand or maybe he was turned around and he could not see his wife there. Or quite possibly he was sent without confirmation his wife made it to the other side. In the end it really does not matter what led to it.

Well- you are right about that. It was an accident, Hundreds of people partake in zip lining every day with no issues.

We all get in cars every day- now THAT is a big killer.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Is "channel surfing" a sport? I'll prolly die doing that.
-----------------------------
These things are sad and tragic, but sad and tragic events happen all the time...
I'm thinking of that exploding tour boat in the Bahamas or any airplane crash.
Hopefully, peep will learn from it and take appropriate steps.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I would guess that more people are injuried or die from on the job incidents each year than from zipline incidents.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Very sad.

If you believe when it’s your time you go, like I do, you just have to live your life how you enjoy it.

Life can change in a moment and many times we have no control.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I agree with above, afraid of heights couldn't fathom ziplining. SCUBA more my speed. Very dangerous, but beautiful and tranquil.