• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

distressed RCI weeks for HGVC owners

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a recent post (distressed section), 2 bedroom Smugglers' Notch Resort in July 2018, 11 exchange trading power.

It seems extremely cheap. How does it work for HGVC owners? I am still waiting for my transfer so I do not have an RCI corporate account yet.

Are we getting a discount for the cheaper exchanges or they follow the same grid regardless (like 4800 points for a 2 bedroom platinum)?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
There is a recent post (distressed section), 2 bedroom Smugglers' Notch Resort in July 2018, 11 exchange trading power.

It seems extremely cheap. How does it work for HGVC owners? I am still waiting for my transfer so I do not have an RCI corporate account yet.

Are we getting a discount for the cheaper exchanges or they follow the same grid regardless (like 4800 points for a 2 bedroom platinum)?
No discount for hgvc memberships for rci trades.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
No discount for hgvc memberships for rci trades.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I am curious how many HGVC points are burned for this one, i assume it is 4800. It does not seem very fair.

Smugglers' Notch Resort #0300

Smugglers' Notch, VT USA

4.5-32772-5.svg
1297 Reviews

Exchange Trading Power :11

OR Price
USD 999.99 USD 999.99

21-Jul-2018

2BR

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I am curious how many HGVC points are burned for this one, i assume it is 4800. It does not seem very fair.

Smugglers' Notch, VT USA

4.5-32772-5.svg
1297 Reviews

OR Price
USD 999.99 USD 999.99

21-Jul-2018

2BR
I agree with you, short term hgvc trades thru RCI have no discount and are not fair. On the flip side, you can get a Disney 1 br for 3400 hgvc points whereas RCI tpu members pay 60 tpu. Best to use your hgvc points in RCI for an ongoing search requesting higher demand places, weeks in the future.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Friendly reminder: The Sightings and Distressed forum is a "members only forum" and access is a benefit of membership.

Please do not post sightings or distressed posts in the open discussion forums.

Sightings = exchanges available from online websites like RCI and II
Distress posts = exchanges that Tuggers are offering to other Tuggers.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Not all RCI exchanges are of good value.

I have actually have 4 RCI accounts, 2 that Wyndham pays for, with my program fees (A straight up TPU weeks account, and an account accessed though the portal which I can use points or weeks with), an HGVC paid for portal account, and an HICV portal account.

Situationally it depends:

- Short term when points drop, the straight up weeks account it better.
- When there is a bulk space bank or sale sometimes the TPUs can be best priced deal.
- For very high point value exchanges, the fixed grids in either HGVC or Wyndham are better. Since I have more wyndham I often will use it first, but if I have points expiring then I might use HGVC, but it depends.
- For studio units often the fixed grid points system used by wyndham or HGVC are better choices as well.

You have to be cautious and look at extra fees now with exchanges. On my HGVC properties they are charging $25 per day resort fees. You do not have to pay that via a HGVC direct booking.

My used TPU when and if possible and price effective, Wyndham for High point situation. HGVC when they are expiring, and I get 1 more year in RCI. Seldom move HIVC out of the program, except if they are expiring. HICV does a weird points conversion 2:1 and it is hardly ever worth it for the amount of points I own.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Friendly reminder: The Sightings and Distressed forum is a "members only forum" and access is a benefit of membership.

Please do not post sightings or distressed posts in the open discussion forums.

Sightings = exchanges available from online websites like RCI and II
Distress posts = exchanges that Tuggers are offering to other Tuggers.
thank you

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not all RCI exchanges are of good value.

I have actually have 4 RCI accounts, 2 that Wyndham pays for, with my program fees (A straight up TPU weeks account, and an account accessed though the portal which I can use points or weeks with), an HGVC paid for portal account, and an HICV portal account.

Situationally it depends:

- Short term when points drop, the straight up weeks account it better.
- When there is a bulk space bank or sale sometimes the TPUs can be best priced deal.
- For very high point value exchanges, the fixed grids in either HGVC or Wyndham are better. Since I have more wyndham I often will use it first, but if I have points expiring then I might use HGVC, but it depends.
- For studio units often the fixed grid points system used by wyndham or HGVC are better choices as well.

You have to be cautious and look at extra fees now with exchanges. On my HGVC properties they are charging $25 per day resort fees. You do not have to pay that via a HGVC direct booking.

My used TPU when and if possible and price effective, Wyndham for High point situation. HGVC when they are expiring, and I get 1 more year in RCI. Seldom move HIVC out of the program, except if they are expiring. HICV does a weird points conversion 2:1 and it is hardly ever worth it for the amount of points I own.
do all resorts charge the $25/day resort fee? It sounds like a lot when you add it to the exchange fee etc

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
do all resorts charge the $25/day resort fee? It sounds like a lot when you add it to the exchange fee etc

No most do not, however there has been a trend with the more upscale resorts to start charging these fees.

Yes an extra $175 for a week suddenly makes a lot of them not such a good deal.

I think the Manhattan Club was the first to do this.
Disney flipped to RCI as II was not going to let them collect fees, and RCI does.
The Grand Mayans also charge.
HGVC some but not all resorts just started a few months back.

For now it is the exception NOT the norm. But who knows what the new norm will be in a few years.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

Smugglers' Notch, VT USA

4.5-32772-5.svg
1297 Reviews

OR Price
USD 999.99 USD 999.99

21-Jul-2018

2BR

I need some information to understand what this post and comments are all about. I can't grasp the issue. What does "distressed section" mean? What does Exchange Trading Power :11 or Price USD 999.99 USD 999.99 mean?
I have been to smuggler's Notch on an exchange of my RCI points and it was a very nice resort particularly for children and teenagers. It gets a very good rating both from RCI owners and TUG members. What is going on?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I need some information to understand what this post and comments are all about. I can't grasp the issue. What does "distressed section" mean? What does Exchange Trading Power :11 or Price USD 999.99 USD 999.99 mean?
I have been to smuggler's Notch on an exchange of my RCI points and it was a very nice resort particularly for children and teenagers. It gets a very good rating both from RCI owners and TUG members. What is going on?

There is a sightings and distressed section, sightings are good deals from exchange companies.

RCI discounts the number of TPUs required for last minute trades to prevent them from going empty.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
There is a sightings and distressed section, sightings are good deals from exchange companies.

RCI discounts the number of TPUs required for last minute trades to prevent them from going empty.

OK, so distressed here doesn't have a negative connotation about the resort?
I went on the RCI website and looked for Exchanges as well as Extra Vacations for Smugglers Notch, there is no availability until after Labor Day. I guess the comments about the 11 TPUs and 999.99 price is the discounted price that someone saw for the July 21th week. While that is a good deal, most people don't want to wait until early July to make vacation plans for July 21th.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
OK, so distressed here doesn't have a negative connotation about the resort?
I went on the RCI website and looked for Exchanges as well as Extra Vacations for Smugglers Notch, there is no availability until after Labor Day. I guess the comments about the 11 TPUs and 999.99 price is the discounted price that someone saw for the July 21th week. While that is a good deal, most people don't want to wait until early July to make vacation plans for July 21th.
In the context of this conversation and the Sightings Board, distressed means "last minute availability" (or "at risk of expiring unused"). RCI had a hot potato on its hands and discounted the exchange requirement (lowered the Trade Power Units required for the exchange) in order to "move the inventory."

Likely it was a cancellation ... and, if you didn't find it on a recent search, likely it was snagged by another RCI member who is now grinning over their good catch.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is not quite correct:
In the context of this conversation and the Sightings Board, distressed means "last minute availability"

Sightings post = Exchanges available from online websites like RCI and II that Tuggers want to notify other Tuggers about. They may be in any timeframe (in the near future or months away.) In other words, the poster is posting a good exchange that they can see on the exchange company's website that others may be interested it.

Distressed post = Confirmed exchanges that Tuggers are offering to other Tuggers. In other words, the poster has a confirmed exchange that they cannot use, and they are directly offering it to other Tuggers.

***For all of the details, please see the stickies at the top of the Sightings and Distressed forum.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Sightings post = Exchanges available from online websites like RCI and II that Tuggers want to notify other Tuggers about. They may be in any timeframe (in the near future or months away.) In other words, the poster is posting a good exchange that they can see on the exchange company's website that others may be interested it.

Distressed post = Confirmed exchanges that Tuggers are offering to other Tuggers. In other words, the poster has a confirmed exchange that they cannot use, and they are directly offering it to other Tuggers.

Thanks. I never understood these definitions either.

So if you have a confirmed TS coming up in 45 days that you cannot use and would be willing to offer for $100/night then it goes into Last Minute Rentals.

If you have a confirmed TS for anytime in the future, that you cannot use and you want more than $100/night (think HI or NYC to cover high MF), you would place it under Distressed.

Is the above understanding correct?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No: You cannot post exchanges on the LMR Forum, and you cannot request reimbursement in a Distress post.

Please see the sticky at the top of that forum for all the details.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I'm going to stand by what I said in my post #13 ... based on how the word distressed is being used in this conversation. It is referring to a specific post on the sighting board of 'last minute (exchange) availability'. It is not using distressed per your definition.

***For all of the details, please see the stickies at the top of the Sightings and Distressed forum.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
The confusion stems from the fact that the OP used the word "distressed" which has an official tug meaning.

RCI discounts last minute weeks, and someone posted one at Smuggs in the "sightings and distressed forum." It was a sighting, not a distressed week based on the tug definitions.

It was also a discounted RCI week, which makes it less Tpu than a normal RCI week at smuggs. That makes it a good deal, and if the OP had used the words "discounted" I think there would be less confusion.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The confusion stems from the fact that the OP used the word "distressed" which has an official tug meaning.

RCI discounts last minute weeks, and someone posted one at Smuggs in the "sightings and distressed forum." It was a sighting, not a distressed week based on the tug definitions.

It was also a discounted RCI week, which makes it less Tpu than a normal RCI week at smuggs. That makes it a good deal, and if the OP had used the words "discounted" I think there would be less confusion.

Now that I understand the meanings and context I understand why others were saying that the reduce TPU was a good deal for RCI members, HGVC members still had to use the full number of points, therefore, for them it wasn't a good deal.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My apologies for the confusion - it appears that the OP's original post was not referring to a Distressed Post on TUG and I was confused by the wording:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My apologies for the confusion - it appears that the OP's original post was not referring to a Distressed Post on TUG and I was confused by the wording:

I am a TUG member but I am not familiar with "Sighting and Distressed Forum" or even how to get there on the website. Maybe someone can explain it. Now for some humor:

When I saw the term (Distressed Section) 2 Bedroom Smugglers Notch Resort with a reduced cost I actually thought there was a "Distressed Section" of Smugglers Notch, which is a huge resort, and that was being discounted since it was in such poor shape! I have that resort booked for August of this year and was concerned that I didn't get the "Distressed Section"

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I saw the term (Distressed Section) 2 Bedroom Smugglers Notch Resort with a reduced cost I actually thought there was a "Distressed Section" of Smugglers Notch, which is a huge resort, and that was being discounted since it was in such poor shape! I have that resort booked for August of this year and was concerned that I didn't get the "Distressed Section"
LOL, but rest assured, that was not the intended use of the word ... again, in this context.

But you may certainly wear your distressed jeans for fashion! :)
Enjoy your stay at Smuggs!

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So getting back to the intent of the original post, we've learned that HGVC does not offer the "discounted" RCI exchange to its members. I know this is the Hilton board ... but may we expand this thread to explore which programs do pass along discounted RCI exchanges to their members and which do not? Makes for an interesting comparison between point systems ... ?

If y'all are open to exploring it ... I can start with these:

Offers discounted exchanges:
  • Worldmark, in both RCI and Interval. All last minute exchanges in either system run 4000 WM Credits (equivalent to a blue-season studio) regardless of the destination unit size or season. "Last Minute" is defined as w/in 45-days of travel for RCI and w/in 59-days of travel for II even if the exchange company does not publish a discount!

Does NOT offer discounted exchanges:
  • Disney Vacation Club (DVC). All DVC > RCI exchanges are at "full points" even at the last minute or discounted by RCI. (That said, DVC has recently offered access to RCI rental weeks to its members. Yeah!)
  • Hilton Grand Vacation Club (HGVC, per this conversation?)
What about ...
Wyndham, Shell, Holiday Inn Vacation Club, Raintree (does this still exist?), Diamond, Welk ... ???