• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Walk me through making a RCI reservation

mapsd

Reaction score
Can someone give me the timeline of how & when to make a RCI reservation using my HGVC points?

Example:
I have 7000 Platinum points & October, 2019 want to book a week in California wine country.

1. Do I need to convert points to RCI prior to booking? or can I wait to see how many points are required, & then convert?
2. What's the earliest I could book? When will the most options be available?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I’m not sure the process, but I am curious to what you wound up purchasing?

mapsd

Reaction score
I’m not sure the process, but I am curious to what you wound up purchasing?
We haven't purchased yet. Leaning towards a high point, EOY.

I figure the time to get my questions answered is before the purchase, so I won't be disappointed after.
It seems like many of the unhappy timeshare owners either overextended financially & made an impulse purchase, or didn't understand what they were buying.
I think I'll be a happy HGVC owner, but am naturally cautious.

Sorry if some of my questions seem overly simple.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
RCI Issues and thus satisfaction all stem from Supply and Demand.

Since you are wanting an RCI exchange I would look at RCI as source of inventory first, before concerning yourself about what an HGVC exchange will get you, since there is NO HGVC controlled inventory in these areas.

There are multiple wine areas, are you happy with any? or do you want a specific area?
October aligns with harvest and is one of the peak times in the area?
What resort(s) are there in the area(s) in Wine Country you want to go? This is not Orlando where there are thousands of resorts.
Are these Weeks resorts or Points Resorts?
If Weeks resort, How much inventory gets deposited into RCI?
If Points resort, How hard it is to find inventory when the points window opens up?

All dissatisfaction stems from the fact that people are lead to believe that there is inventory everywhere for them to have? Inventory at some resorts is hard to come by especially at peak seasons. While some locations have lots of timeshares, California wine country has some, but they are small and hard to get into due to supply and demand.

You are pegging your HGVC happiness on something that is outside the control of HGVC.

Last edited:

mapsd

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Sandy!
I use wine country as a hypothetical. Sonoma or Napa would be fine.
A weeks or points resort is fine as long as I can exchange my HGVC points for it

My real question is: If I know well in advance where I want to go, and know that HGVC doesn't have properties there, am I likely to find something I could use my points towards (even if it won't be as nice as a HGVC spot)?
Will I be relegated to traveling off-season if I want to do this?

mapsd

Reaction score
A lot of my questions are about how flexible my HGVC ownership will be?
(important now while I'm still working, maybe not so much after retirement)

I'm OK with giving up some flexibility if it means I'm assured of a nice/updated condo and at a good value.
Right now I'm used to getting exactly what I want, exactly when I want (even if it means paying a premium for it).
We've rented units at a lot of HGVC resorts (Myrtle Beach, Waikiki, Carlsbad,Sanibel) and liked them all, so owning appeals to us. We just want to know how much we'll have to compromise before pulling the trigger.

Who better to ask then those who are already doing it!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
A lot of my questions are about how flexible my HGVC ownership will be?
(important now while I'm still working, maybe not so much after retirement)

I'm OK with giving up some flexibility if it means I'm assured of a nice/updated condo and at a good value.
Right now I'm used to getting exactly what I want, exactly when I want (even if it means paying a premium for it).
We've rented units at a lot of HGVC resorts (Myrtle Beach, Waikiki, Carlsbad,Sanibel) and liked them all, so owning appeals to us. We just want to know how much we'll have to compromise before pulling the trigger.

Who better to ask then those who are already doing it!

I'm NOT HGVC, and NOT an expert.

However, I did buy, rescind and strongly consider HGVC. I might still after retirement.

Here's my suggestion: HGVC is great for staying at HGVC resorts. HGVC is in RCI. Most RCI moves are going to be downhill. Pretty fast. But what about affiliate resorts?? Consider researching affiliate resorts before buying. There may be some advantages in price, some ability to 'own where you use' and you might even have access to II with some affiliate resorts--a much better exchange system IMO. I'm not smart enough to discuss affiliates and II and exchanging etc... but I know I would give it a hard look before buying straight HGVC points.

Much info on HGVC, affiliates and more on the TUG Faqs above and in the forums.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Problem is Napa and CA Wine in general. There are only a handful of small resorts. So Supply is extremely small and in general, demand is high.

Napa - No availability in RCI at all for the entire year in both weeks and points (as of today)
Shell VC has Vino Bello
Napa Riverpoint is the place with the trailers.

Santa Rosa
Hyatt - No availability in RCI at all for the entire year in both weeks and points (as of today).

Worldmark has Nice and Windsor.
Has inventory available from Jan to Mar 2019.
I haven't studied WM deposits in the west, but I have in TX. They follow a pattern like Wyndham. Some inventory 9 months in advance. Some short term inventory when they find themselves with excess inventory. They know their own traditional supply and demand levels, they also have an obligation to RCI to a certain base level of deposits. Remember Shell, WM, Wyndham are all controlled by the same company that controls RCI. So they play nice together. But this is generally NOT the high demand weeks within WM or shell that you will find gets into RCI.

In my opinion, if you want CA Wine in October. Rent from a Shell, WM or Hyatt member and use the HGVC points somewhere where there is better odds of getting your exchange.

CA Wine country in prime season via RCI is a crap shot.

mapsd

Reaction score
Thanks. Exactly what I wanted to know.
Since we haven't bought yet, it may impact what we seek out.

If booking away from HGVC is always difficult, I'm leaning towards buying an EOY Platinum resale with fewer points, and then just seek out my non-HGVC stays on the open market instead.
Sound reasonable?

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. Exactly what I wanted to know.
Since we haven't bought yet, it may impact what we seek out.

If booking away from HGVC is always difficult, I'm leaning towards buying an EOY Platinum resale with fewer points, and then just seek out my non-HGVC stays on the open market instead.
Sound reasonable?

Booking away from HGVC is not always difficult, but it is DEPENDING on where you want to go and more often when.

I was just trying to highlight that it is a supply and demand issue. Not I want to go there at this time issue. CA Wine Country is one of those very hard to get locations, because supply is small and demand is high and much of the inventory NEVER makes it to RCI. Other locations you may want to go might be perhaps easier to obtain via RCI. Without knowing where you want to go, that is hard to say.

You don't have a profile, so I do not know where you are located. But perhaps a Worldmark purchase might work for you if you are west coast based, as there a lot of WMs West, and it is a very flexible program, cheaper to buy than say HGVC.

Where do you want to go with HGVC, or what is drawing you to HGVC? If you want Vegas, Hawaii and Orlando you got it. Other locations even with HGVC are harder and require planning. Most of SW FL, as I have previously mentioned. If you want skiing you are best served buying a ski location, not any location. HGVC is slowly expanding but they do like to double up on the same locations, much to my and others here annoyance.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I can second the thought of having a WM account--especially if you're a west-coaster. They have great resorts and several that are 'convenient' to wine country. Availability is obviously difficult during certain times of year, but other times--it's very good. Plus, they have waitlist, exchange with Interval or RCI (go with II) and it's easy to buy, easy to use, easy to sell. Plus it's not a lot of cash. A 7k account is enough to get you tons of vacation (if fully load) especially when using the many sources of 'paid' reservations vs points.

give it a look.

Here's what popped up on Interval on instant exchange using Worldmark: (I won't post further 'sightings' on this thread--those are normally reserved for the sightings thread, a members-only section of TUG. Consider joining, best $15 you'll ever spend!!!!)

Keep in mind, this was just a quick glance--on the fly. OGS or regular online-searching would produce much better results.

upload_2018-7-9_12-11-8.png

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mapsd

HGVC trades only with RCI. WM you have a choice. If your long term goal is EOY HGVC EOY something else, then WM does make it worth considering, and it give you the II to potentially access some Marriott and Hyatts.

mapsd

Reaction score
I'm torn enough trying to decide whether to buy 1 timeshare!
Don't know if I can comprehend multiple ones!

I'm in the Midwest, so almost everything requires flying or a long roadtrip.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm torn enough trying to decide whether to buy 1 timeshare!
Don't know if I can comprehend multiple ones!

I'm in the Midwest, so almost everything requires flying or a long roadtrip.

Iowa is not the big tourist draw that is for sure. LOL.

OK, so if you are midwest, why HGVC then?

I am in TX, I own Hilton, Wyndham and Holiday Inn. Wyndham and Holiday Inn are drive-able for me. Wyndham is everywhere, and I can access Worldmark as I have that type of account (one you can't get resale) that allows me to book worldmark properties. HGVC I used for Hawaii in the past but now more so for Southern CA or Vegas. SW FL is too much of a crap shoot. I hate that you have to call and check inventory and can't check online with HGVC.

I am going to Hawaii in a few weeks, so I am using some HGVC points in HI this year. That was a last minute decision to see the current volcano eruption, not a planned HI trip.

Timeshares are like potato chips, you just can't have one. But resale is the way to go. So you are learning first, and buying resale. You are way ahead of the game.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm going to try to answer the OP's original question...
----------------------------------------------------------
Wherever you go, booking RCI thru HGVC is rather simple:
-- Log onto HGVC's members website and click the link to RCI.
-- Pass thru the portal and land on a page dedicated to HGVC.
-- Use RCI's search engine to find available points & weeks TS's.
-- The more flexible you are with dates and/or places, the easier it is.
-- For each unit, it shows you how many HGVC points are needed.
-- You have current-year and the next 2 years' points available.
-- If you confirm a booking, HGVC points are deducted from your account.
IOW, there is no conversion or depositing. You just book and pay w-points.

HGVC deducts points in this order:
(1) Saved (banked) points for stays in the current year (they expire 12/31).
(2) Current year points (for stays in the current year and next 2 years).
(3) The next 2 Years' points (in order, for the current year and next 2 years).

I used HGVC to book Wyndham's Angels Camp, CA, well located for...
Wine tasting in Murphys, Yosemite NP, Caverns, Big Trees & Columbia SP.