• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar Theft - Take 2

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
@Smithsingeneva reported a theft of two phones at Lagunamar a couple weeks ago (https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/lagunamar-theft.275490/).

We are staying at Lagunamar now in several rooms and have experienced some suspicious activity in multiple rooms as well as a theft.

One of our rooms has had wallets rifled through, cash lifted (they left two $20’s but there was $100+ in the wallet), and credit cards outright stolen. Fraudulent charges started showing up within 2 days. That same room has had a “mid-week tidy” performed 3 days in a row now. We interrupted the third “maid” standing next to the bedside table and had him stay in the room while we called security.

Meanwhile, in another room, “security” made an unannounced visit to “check the deadbolts and secure the slide latch.” Upon checking the latch, the three screws which secure it to the doorframe had been loosened so that it floats freely away from the doorframe.

We are owners here and love the resort, as well as the vast majority of people who work and live here. However, we wanted to post this as a heads-up that this seems to be beyond a single isolated incident. Even if you don’t have a mid-week tidy scheduled, you should secure all your valuables every time you leave the room.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Pack your nanny-cams until this gets resolved!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Why not just use the safe??? :shrug:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Why not just use the safe??? :shrug:

We do use the safe for extreme valuables (I.e. expensive jewelry, laptops, passports, etc.) but don’t always lock away petty cash, kids’ iPads, etc. unless a mid-week tidy is scheduled since access to these items is needed frequently.

Also, using the safe doesn’t address the safety issue related to the loosened slide latch.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Pack your nanny-cams until this gets resolved!

I agree with this — pack a nanny cam for peace of mind until Vistana catches the perpetrators and resolves the issue.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Why not just contact the GM and let them know that you're going to publish this on Facebook and youtube if they don't get their act together.

so sad.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Why not just contact the GM and let them know that you're going to publish this on Facebook and youtube if they don't get their act together.

so sad.
Yeah, it’s sad, but I’m not really one to threaten or issue ultimatums. They clearly have a bad egg or two on staff and need to figure it out. Vistana monitors this forum and by posting they are being made aware of the issue.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
You're right of course. It just burns me up. A really nice resort can be trashed with just a few complaints.
Certainly this seems quite concerning.

Hope it goes well from here.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for reporting this. I typically lock away my laptop, tablet and valuables in the safe. Sometimes we do leave cell phone in the room to charge when we leave for a short period of time. This is a good reminder to all to be vigilant. But often we cannot lock away a large laptop.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
But often we cannot lock away a large laptop.

I believe all of our resorts have large safes. I’ve had no issue with locking up my 15” laptop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I believe all of our resorts have large safes. I’ve had no issue with locking up my 15” laptop.

Same here. Insert in safe short side and then turn around once inside!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
My husband uses a humongous gaming machine... it does not fit...

Then he should get a lock for it and secure it that way. I travel with one and occasionally use it. A “humongous gaming machine” is atypical and no one would objectively fault a resort for not having a safe large enough for it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Then he should get a lock for it and secure it that way. I travel with one and occasionally use it. A “humongous gaming machine” is atypical and no one would objectively fault a resort for not having a safe large enough for it.

I often tell him to leave that thing at home as he should give himself a break from his habit, ahem... addiction, when he is travelling. :) He does not want to use a cable lock. He is one who is very trusting of housekeeping or maintenance people, and I have to take his tablet from him to lock up in the safe when we leave the room.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You could also lock items in your suitcase. We take a bicycle lock and lock the suitcase to something fixed. Not a surefire fix, but prevents the quick grab and go.

Rman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling with three mid week tidy's that some of the upper level housekeeping staff are in on it as well,
especially if they let the maid go etc...,

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is very disappointing.

I guess we are very nieave as we didn't lock up our cell phones, laptop or tablet last time we were there and we got a card left in our room stating security had been called during the cleaning to ensure everything was ok. (That's not 100% what it said but you get the drift).

We absolutely locked up money or other valuables.

I was thinking the other post may have been an exception but if this is twice in a short period of time with just tuggers, how many has it happened to that we don't know about?

Hopefully someone high enough up will address this or maybe someone will have to get caught red handed, or even on video to bring this to an end.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Yes disappointing to hear of multiple thefts. We liked Lagunamar a lot on our sole stay.

DH is pretty meticulous about putting everything of value in the safe if we're leaving unit, including documents with personal info. LOL we make it all fit.
We don't bring high end stuff, but still don't want to present temptations to housekeeping.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I wanted to post an update.

Security met with us and explained that we have received multiple cleanings on this particular room because it was part of an Explorer package. I didn’t realize that daily housekeeping was part of the package but apparently it’s treated like a hotel rather than ownership stay. That made us feel much better that the thefts are likely due to the actions of a single individual rather than representative of a more widespread issue. In any case, they are interviewing each of the staff who accessed the room and we are satisfied with their handling of the situation.

On the other room with the compromised slide latch, a maintenance team showed up to make a repair and it is now secure to the doorframe.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
This is very disappointing.

I guess we are very nieave as we didn't lock up our cell phones, laptop or tablet last time we were there and we got a card left in our room stating security had been called during the cleaning to ensure everything was ok. (That's not 100% what it said but you get the drift).

We absolutely locked up money or other valuables.

I was thinking the other post may have been an exception but if this is twice in a short period of time with just tuggers, how many has it happened to that we don't know about?

Hopefully someone high enough up will address this or maybe someone will have to get caught red handed, or even on video to bring this to an end.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk
Once someone gets a video, it can go viral on social media, and only then will the world care. :D

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I wanted to post an update.

Security met with us and explained that we have received multiple cleanings on this particular room because it was part of an Explorer package. I didn’t realize that daily housekeeping was part of the package but apparently it’s treated like a hotel rather than ownership stay. .

DAILY cleaning & housekeeping is standard at many Mexican Timeshares .
Vidanta has it at ALL brands - from Sea Garden to Grand Luxe .

When we exchanged into Raintree Club Regina in Cancun ( 2015) the suite was fully cleaned daily .

Daily complete towel replacement is included in housekeeping as well.

IMO - the housekeeping staff at Mexican Timeshares should be tipped - based on the
service . We generally do 800 pesos a week / about $ 6 USD per day .
( based on daily service )

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
DAILY cleaning & housekeeping is standard at many Mexican Timeshares .
Vidanta has it at ALL brands - from Sea Garden to Grand Luxe .

When we exchanged into Raintree Club Regina in Cancun ( 2015) the suite was fully cleaned daily .

Daily complete towel replacement is included in housekeeping as well.

IMO - the housekeeping staff at Mexican Timeshares should be tipped - based on the
service . We generally do 800 pesos a week / about $ 6 USD per day .
At Lagunamar they only offer mid week tidy for timeshare stays. Daily housekeeping is included if staying on a reservation booked through Westin or Starwood websites (cash or SPG points).

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
At Lagunamar they only offer mid week tidy for timeshare stays. Daily housekeeping is included if staying on a reservation booked through Westin or Starwood websites (cash or SPG points).

And Explorer packages, apparently!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
And Explorer packages, apparently!

I think I read about this some years ago and the thinking was that this was to improve the chances of a developer purchase. Every little bit helps when you’re selling lemons.