• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fax or Mail cancellation notice - which is best

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
My friend went to a TS meeting and is doing a package deal.
I told her she should cancel and learn more about the Resort before buying from developer.
Her paperwork states cancellation is to be sent by facsimile or by mail.
I have always sent it by mail.
Has everyone sent it by facsimile?.

TIA.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fax doesn't give a proof of delivery. Send it USPS Certified w/return receipt.

Ckhawaii

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Tower HGVC
Westin Lagunamar plat 2bd 3x
Westin Aventuras
What state/resort did she buy at? Some states have shorter time periods for canceling so time is of the essence

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
What state/resort did she buy at? Some states have shorter time periods for canceling so time is of the essence
All the more reason to use USPS. The only 'date/time' stamp that matters is the postmark. Fax doesn't provide that.

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure what state(I think FL).
I'm letting her use my vistana resort unit.
She could have bought there, not sure . She didn't say. Just worried she made a big mistake and wants out.
I'll let her know to rescind and to put it in the mail today.
I also told her about tug2 and read up. And if see has any questions, join tug2 and to post them .
Thanks guys, your always helpful.

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just talk to her, she bought(paid in full) an Explorer package(about $2000) at a Vistana meeting.
She's completed the cancellation request and is going to the post office today. I made sure she is to send it registered with return receipt .

drmirage

Reaction score
It depends what type of Fax you use. I just cancelled the Explorer Package also. Used FaxZero.com to send a free fax.

It gives you a confirmation.
------------------
Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Your fax to Helene at 4079034862 has been sent successfully!
Successful delivery of your fax was confirmed at 1:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time on July 5th, 2018
Your fax included 1 page of coversheet with your text and 1 page of attached documents.

Thank you,
FaxZero.com

-----------------

After sending the fax, I verified if the fax was received over the phone. (Saved a trip to the post office and postage)

Fax doesn't give a proof of delivery. Send it USPS Certified w/return receipt.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Not registered mail - certified mail.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Just to be perfectly clear:
  • If the contract documents specify a specific method of cancellation, then that method/address/instructions should be followed
  • In addition to the above instructions, USPS, certified mail with return receipt is almost always an acceptable legal method of notification. Other methods may NOT be legally sufficient.
  • The postmark date is the determination for rescission period in most cases.
  • Sending a 'Fax' as well as the certified letter is ok. It's not necessary, but it's ok. All document should be identical copies--don't send multiple different documents. A fax should NOT be used in lieu of following contract instructions or the certified letter as specified above.
  • Note that timeshare sales are covered (AFAIK) in all 50 states. The sale of vacation clubs, packages and samplers are not necessarily covered. This varies by state. If the contract contains rescission/cancellation instructions, then those instructions are valid--so long as they do not countermand state/federal/local laws (etc.) They can be more lenient...but they can't void state laws.
I'm not a lawyer....good luck. Free advice, not worth a penny, but can save you thousands of $$$$$$$$$$

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Do EXACTLY what it says in the instructions.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If an Explorer package is some kind of 'trial, or sampler' package, it may not be considered a TS and not be eligible for rescission.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
If an Explorer package is some kind of 'trial, or sampler' package, it may not be considered a TS and not be eligible for rescission.

Per actual experience, Explorer packages do have a rescission period.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My friend went to a TS meeting and is doing a package deal.
I told her she should cancel and learn more about the Resort before buying from developer.
Her paperwork states cancellation is to be sent by facsimile or by mail.
I have always sent it by mail.
Has everyone sent it by facsimile?.

TIA.
You can always do both.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
If the contract says you can rescind, you can rescind. If state law says you can rescind then you can rescind.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
She sent me a picture of cancellation, but I don't know how to attach it here.:crash:
So here it is:(Very long)

Cancelations and refunds
You may cancel this agreement without any penalty or obligation, except for any credit transferred from another package, within 10 calendar days after the date you sign this agreement. If you decide to cancel this agreement, you must notify the seller in writing of your intent to cancel. Your notice of cancellation shall be effective upon the date sent and can be sent via facsimile to: 407-903-4718 or by mail to 9002 San Marco Court,Orlando, FL 32819, Attn: Document Administration. The refund shall be with in 20 business days after receipt of notice of, Any attempt to obtain a waiver of your cancelation rights is unlawful. Other than is provided in this paragraph, you will not be entitled to a refund of any payments made hereunder.
If you execute a purchase contract for a timeshare period, Section 721.08, Florida Statutes,(Escrow Accounts) will apply to any new funds or other property received from you or on your behalf. Section 721.10, Florida Statutes, (Cancellation) Will apply to the purchase and you will not be entitled to a cancelation refund or a short- term product. In this instance, "short-term product" me ans this Explorer Package.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Yup. So it says you can cancel....therefore you can.

As stated: I'd mail a cert/rtn receipt letter to the address listed and (if desired) fax same letter to fax listed.

Done deal.

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update
My friend received an email from the sales team asking why she canceled. I told her don't reply.
She said her refund could take up to15 days to process from the date on email.

She wondering when they(SPG) will remove the points from her SPG account. I told not to worry, if it's still there after the refund comes in call SPG.
Thanks guys for your help and support for my friends.