• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Harborside 1BR reserved with Staroptions

Sv1plat52

Reaction score
I was looking for avaliability for SVV in July and I clicked on Harborside by mistake while performing the search. A 1BRD and 2BR were showing availability for next week. I was able to get a good price on flights by going to FLL first and using some of my Amex points and I booked the 1BR for 44k points.

Very last minute... Not sure what to expect. It will be the first time for us: wife and 2 toddlers.

Could you help me with some pointers on what to do, what to see, which rooms to request: anything that you thing would help a newbie like me.

My priority is Beach, Beach, Beach. Well, my real priority is that the kids have fun!

One thing that is worrying me is that there are some recent negative reviews on the travel review sites, which seem to point to the fact that the property is not well maintained. Will this be an issue?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It isn't well maintained considering MF's for the small one bedroom is close to $1700 and that the average summer and winter renter pays over $2000 for the week. If it wasn't so expensive, I think people would be less picky about the mostly minor problems. Like everywhere, occasionally a unit has more major problems but the resort will work with you to fix those or move you if need be. The rental market is depressed this year and I think there are a fair number of last minute cancellations from owners who were looking to rent. This is probably a dumb question but you do have passports for everyone including the toddlers? The passport issue keeps away some of the last minute bargain hunters.

The resort should be pretty full and if they go by date stamp on the reservation then you should not get too much choice in terms of room but harbor and pool views are preferable to resort views.

Sv1plat52

Reaction score
It isn't well maintained considering MF's for the small one bedroom is close to $1700 and that the average summer and winter renter pays over $2000 for the week. If it wasn't so expensive, I think people would be less picky about the mostly minor problems. Like everywhere, occasionally a unit has more major problems but the resort will work with you to fix those or move you if need be. The rental market is depressed this year and I think there are a fair number of last minute cancellations from owners who were looking to rent. This is probably a dumb question but you do have passports for everyone including the toddlers? The passport issue keeps away some of the last minute bargain hunters.

The resort should be pretty full and if they go by date stamp on the reservation then you should not get too much choice in terms of room but harbor and pool views are preferable to resort views.

Thank you. This is why I like my SVV as the MF is not very expensive and I have been able to get great trades on Interval, and using staroptions. But maintenance seems to be a sore spot also for SVV. I was there in December and I was not too happy with the state of things.

All passports ok, and we also all have global entry.

Is there a kid's club etc with activities? Do you have to book it in advance?

I was also reading about the meal plans. I am not a fan of meal plans, but sometimes they are cheaper.

blondietink

Reaction score
The meal plans only cover 2 meals per day I believe and are really expensive. We, like others here, take groceries in our suitcases. Even the grocery stores in the Bahamas are expensive. WE freeze as much as we can, pack it in our suitcases in the freezer bags and it has arrived still frozen. As an example we froze bacon, chicken, meat, vegetables, etc. We also took things like peanut butter, snack foods, Koolaid, cereal,etc. Keep in mind though that there is no oven in Harborside units and there are no grills.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Very last minute... Not sure what to expect. It will be the first time for us: wife and 2 toddlers.

Could you help me with some pointers on what to do, what to see, which rooms to request: anything that you thing would help a newbie like me.

My priority is Beach, Beach, Beach. Well, my real priority is that the kids have fun!

The last time I was in Atlantis was in 2015.
Sorry, I don’t know what activities they have for toddlers so I can’t help you there.
But here’s the link to the Atlantis site - https://www.atlantisbahamas.com/kids?itt=Nav_Family

For the best beach you’ll want to take the internal shuttle bus to the Cove Tower and walk through the tower to get to Cove beach. Cove Beach is open to all Atlantis guests. The Cove Tower & Reef tower pool areas are restricted to Cove Tower guests only (see #59 and #60 in section B on the resort map - http://www.atlantis.com/content/pdf/map.pdf)

The Harborside shuttle bus will take you to a Full Size Supermarket.
Back in 2015, it was $7pp M-Sat 10 AM (Sun 8:30A). It's 1 hr to shop (not sure if the hour starts after you get there or when the shuttle leaves the resort).
It takes you across the bridge to Solomon's Fresh Market in the Harbour Bay Shopping Plaza (see map below). I suggest taking the shuttle bus instead of walking.
Additional info
Requesting tips and pointers for Harborside (2017) - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/requesting-tips-and-pointers-for-harborside.254410

RESORT POLICY
The food and beverage outlets at Atlantis, Paradise Island, operate cashless. The resort will authorize an initial credit card deposit equal to $100 per day at check-in. Additional authorizations will be obtained as required throughout the stay. As of January 2015, the Bahamian government has implemented the VAT, a new type of consumption tax charged at 7.5% on most goods and services that businesses provide in the Bahamas, including, but not limited to, credit card deposit, housekeeping services and internet charges. VAT is also charged on goods and certain services imported from outside the Bahamas.

The Harborside Resort at Atlantis courtesy shuttle service runs every 15 minutes from 8 a.m. to midnight daily, with continuous service between Harborside Resort at Atlantis, Coral Towers, Royal Towers and The Cove Atlantis. The Royal Towers shuttle service continues until 2 a.m. Owners and guests who require an accessible shuttle should advise the Concierge to contact the shuttle driver one hour prior to desired pick up time.

The Atlantis courtesy shuttle service runs 24 hours a day, with continuous service between Atlantis Royal Tower, Beach Tower, Coral Tower, as well as Ocean Club Golf Course every 30 minutes.

Last edited:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I agree with comment above, take as much as you can (food wise) with you. I plan meals ahead of time, freeze and take a rolling cooler as a carry on. Coleman makes one that fits specifications. (Plus then you have a cooler to take with you to the beach or pool areas.) Freeze food with dry ice if you can with the hot summer temps. After leaving the airport, if you can, have the taxi stop on the way to a mid island grocery/liquor store for the items you can't pack. Items on Nassau will be slightly less expensive than on Paradise island. A very small grocery store is within walking distance of the resort. Across the street in the strip mall where the dunkin donuts is. Have fun. The pool areas for little kids look pretty entertaining.

stein97

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
I was there back in March 2018 all of the buildings are being re-done. Our unit was very clean, no issues outside of loud fridge.

For the best beach you’ll want to take the internal shuttle bus to the Cove Tower and walk through the tower to get to Cove beach. Cove Beach is open to all Atlantis guests. The Cove Tower & Reef tower pool areas are restricted to Cove Tower guests only (see #59 and #60 in section B on the resort map - http://www.atlantis.com/content/pdf/map.pdf)

Cove Beach is the spot you want to be, if you get tired of the beach short walk to "The Baths Pool".

My kids were 10 so I can't recall to much for toddlers, there is a kiddie pool called "Splashers Kids Pool" maps don't show it to well.

Don't bother with the Meal Plans, odds are you will only eat lunch in the Atlantis area and then go out for dinner.
All of the dining is cash-less you need to use your Room Card or Credit Card. Expect to wait in line for most of the food, average price for food and drink is $15 per person. Cafes have a pretty good fruit/ veggie pack my kids loved. They try to have a variety of food, for lunch we ate at Zero Entry Cart, Riverbend Café, and The Point Restaurant & Bar . This is all pool food which wasn't that bad.

My kids liked Anthony's Grill, MURRAY'S DELI and The Point. The Point does take out, its right next to the pool at Harborside. Pack dry goods in you luggage (cereal & crackers) , food is double the cost on Paradise Island. There is small grocery store near Anthony's Grill and Dunkin Donuts, its a 8 minute walk down the road. You can buy milk and juice there, it will be expensive but your other choice is to take a taxi over the bridge and go shopping.

Thing I think toddler can do there:
Ardastra Gardens & Zoo, the kids will like all the Flamingos walking around
The Dig lower level of the "Royal" <-- go during the day and at night, totally different experience each time
There are Activity Sheet from the towel hut will list when they feed the fish, I think it is daily and well worth the time.
Near the "River Pool" you can feed the Turtles and Stingrays, once again check the Activity Sheet.

I was looking at buying TS there but have not gotten the deal I want yet. Was really really close at buying a 2 bd lockout, almost 3 weeks of going back and forth then the seller became unresponsive and the broker was not helping. Oh well there are plenty of units coming on the market.

We are headed back there next year for spring break, kids are excited.

stein97

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
We love Harborside. My daughter and I have 4 3-bedroom units there. We have never had maintenance issues and it is mostly renovated by now though there are still some outstanding renovations going on. We were there last summer. My daughter had a renovated unit and I had an unrenovated one, but it was still fine. You can't beat Atlantis for great family activities, probably second only to Disney. A toddler will have a great time visiting the sea life and aquariums and the little kids water park is great. We love to come back to the quiet Harborside pool after a big day at the waterpark. The funny thing was my grandson and a number of age 7-10 year-old boys got totally hooked on shuffleboard at Harborside even with a world-class waterpark nearby. My teenage granddaughters refer to it as the best vacation of their lives! You will love it. My only complaint is I wish there were BBQ grills.

stein97

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
Yeah the Harborside pool is the best. We had an overcast day so we went into Nassau and then chilled at the Harborside pool ate dinner at the Point. There was almost no one there, few families with toddlers.

stein97

Sv1plat52

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. We are here and:

The room seem to be fully updated so no issues here. It may seem that the bad reviews were due to unfortunate situations.

Although the Villa is fully updated, I am not so happy about the location: views of the underpassage and street view. I was going to ask to change the room, but I just do not want to go through the hassle of waiting until 4:00pm with no room etc etc.

Expensive?: well no comment. It may be expensive for some, ok for others, and a no go for most.

Everybody seems to be against walking from Harborside to the pools. Having stayed at The Grand Luxxe in both NV and RM, I do not find it far. It is actually a nice walk.

Since I mentioned Grand Luxxe, if you stay there no tother vacation will be the same. You will always look back and compare...

blondietink

Reaction score
We walked sometime to the Atlantis pools and didn't find it a problem, either. Once you walk to the little shopping village it isn't much farther. If it was too hot or rainy, we just hopped on the bus. Glad you made it and have a great time. Hopefully you won't be in your villa too much.