• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Information from our Kings' Land "Owner's Update"

jnsrusty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
Well, we finally went to our first Owner's Update while staying here on the Big Island. We weren't sure if we wanted to waste our vacation time by sitting through a presentation, but we decided to accept the invitation and take the $100 gift certificate plus the 20% off activity card. After all, we are here for 12 days!

The most surprising thing I learned from the presentation is that Hilton does not know if you purchased your timeshare through a developer or on the resale market. Their paperwork showed only the original deed price of our timeshare at MarBrisa which is much, much more than we paid resale. The funniest part of the presentation was when the sales person said you can only purchase a Hawaiian timeshare in Hawaii and that if we were interested, we should buy a timeshare today because for some reason, Hilton "underpriced" the Ocean Tower timeshares! I almost laughed in his face! The most informative thing I learned from the presentation is that HGVC has acquired another timeshare in NYC, which I assume is the Quin, and that they have also purchased the Turtle Bay Resort on the north side of Oahu. The sales person said that Turtle Bay will be converted into 50% hotel rooms and 50% timeshare units. I am really interested to hear if anyone else knows something about this.

The final thing I learned about going to our first presentation is that all you have to do is mention that you bought your timeshare on the resale market and you are not interested in purchasing a timeshare any other way. As soon as we mentioned this, the sales manager said, 'Okay, I think we are done here. Let me get you signed out and we'll get your gift." Our "free" dinner at Sansei was delicious!! Thanks to all who have shared their experiences and given advice!

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
...The most informative thing I learned from the presentation is that HGVC has acquired another timeshare in NYC, which I assume is the Quin, and that they have also purchased the Turtle Bay Resort on the north side of Oahu. The sales person said that Turtle Bay will be converted into 50% hotel rooms and 50% timeshare units. I am really interested to hear if anyone else knows something about this.

Blackstone purchased Grand Wailea and Turtle Bay this year.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific...one-paid-287m-for-turtle-bay-resort-real.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific...e-to-buy-mauis-grand-wailea-resort-for-1.html

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
<The most surprising thing I learned from the presentation is that Hilton does not know if you purchased your timeshare through a developer or on the resale market.>

That's not [always] true. The last update I did, the sales lady knew I bought one of my deeds as resale.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
<The most surprising thing I learned from the presentation is that Hilton does not know if you purchased your timeshare through a developer or on the resale market.>

That's not [always] true. The last update I did, the sales lady knew I bought one of my deeds as resale.

Seems odd that they would know about resale purchases some of the time and not others. In the today's environment of big data, you would expect they would make an effort to know, and alter the sales pitch accordingly.

I had missed the purchase of the Grand Wailea, but do recall a lot of speculation about Turtle Bay adding about HGVC units. I think its possible, but until they announce it, won't really believe it.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
They always knew that my deeds were purchased resale. One time they did not until I got to the presentation then it was mentioned that I bought resale and did not qualify for presentation. This was at hhv and a couple weeks ago at parc soleil I had to stop by the "parking" pass desk. They saw my account and just said here is your parking pass. Sad to see hgvc stoop to the hard sales tactics of Wyndham.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
If they actually convert some of the Turtle Bay units to timeshare units, it might give us reason to consider Oahu again.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... Sad to see hgvc stoop to the hard sales tactics of Wyndham.

IME, they use the same playbook as every other TS sales division.
But once in awhile, you run into a salesman with a lighter touch...
It's what I call the "I'm burned out, so I don't care" approach.

Knowing that you're resale may depend on how your account is coded.
Maybe there's 'sposed to be a checkmark that's missing or overlooked.
If they don't see it, they refer back to the original contract.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
IME, they use the same playbook as every other TS sales division.
But once in awhile, you run into a salesman with a lighter touch...
It's what I call the "I'm burned out, so I don't care" approach.

Knowing that you're resale may depend on how your account is coded.
Maybe there's 'sposed to be a checkmark that's missing or overlooked.
If they don't see it, they refer back to the original contract.

This is a good point. We have three contracts from them, all resale. However we did, in the past, purchase from them. Then we sold it back and bought something else resale. Maybe the code that we were "direct" buyers is sticky and that's why we keep getting invited. When they have us there and actually look, the do know about the resales, because they comment on it without my saying anything. So, on one level they do know.

Cheers.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, we finally went to our first Owner's Update while staying here on the Big Island. We weren't sure if we wanted to wanted to waste our vacation time by sitting through a presentation, but we decided to accept the invitation and take the $100 gift certificate plus the 20% off activity card. After all, we are here for 12 days!

Our trips are max 5 days (usually fewer) so it's definitely not worth our time.

The only times we go now are when we get a great deal that is contingent upon a presentation.

Just went to a Westin in Maui this way
Later this year have a stay in NYC @$150 per night and a stay at Hyatt Carmel Highlands.

Al have tours. All had/will have me wearing by TUG "end the presentation early" t-shirt :)

Cheers.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have a Bay Club purchase, which I then transferred to HGVC. I also purchased a Seaworld resale but from an HGVC certified resale agent. At the time that was considered a direct purchase from HGVC. That is how I got my Elite status. So both of mine look like developer purchase, but they are not.

They no longer allow resales purchased from HGVC resale to count as HGVC purchases.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Our "free" dinner at Sansei was delicious!!
Just as an aside, I've had some of the best, and freshest, sushi ever at Sansei. One of my favorite places to go. There is one in Kihei as well and that's where we've gone on our last two visits to Maui.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Wow. Great additions if true. If they turn these into timeshares, I take back what I said about them doubling down on the "By Hilton Club" city properties. This would add desireable Maui and a Ko Olina alternative on Oahu.

HGVC must aggressively grow their portfolio to compete with the new Marriott/ILG portfolio and avoid being acquired by Diamond, Wyndham etc. This would be a very good move for them (albeit I would expect nosebleed point values). They probably strategized that transitioning all or a portion of existing hotel properties would be faster, more cost effective and provide more high margin aspirational timeshare developer sales than acquiring BlueGreen etc.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just as an aside, I've had some of the best, and freshest, sushi ever at Sansei. One of my favorite places to go. There is one in Kihei as well and that's where we've gone on our last two visits to Maui.

And, if you go Sunday or Monday evenings (I think it's both nights at both locations) at 5 and get in line (actually have to get there closer to 4:15), it's 50% of on just about everything on the menu. Worth the time hanging out. Did this in Kihei in May with friends.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This is a good point. We have three contracts from them, all resale. However we did, in the past, purchase from them. Then we sold it back and bought something else resale. Maybe the code that we were "direct" buyers is sticky and that's why we keep getting invited. When they have us there and actually look, the do know about the resales, because they comment on it without my saying anything. So, on one level they do know.

Cheers.

Our experience has been similar to @brp. We purchased our first via developer and second via resale. However we still own our original developer purchase. They also thought we had bought our resale from the developer years ago. However I am pretty sure the rep this time marked our file as resale because he made a big point of saying he will "update our file" as he was somewhat perturbed that we were in there with no intention to buy. We'll see. :)

We also attend when the benefits are worthwhile. We went on two this year (1 HGVC; 1 Marriott). I view these as payback for the large amount of money we overpaid for our original developer purchase so absolutely no guilt when we say, "No, thank you." Plus, when they try to shame you with "Why are you attending this presentation when you have no interest in buying?" we tell them, "We were told this was an Owner's update." (which is true)

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Plus, when they try to shame you with "Why are you attending this presentation when you have no interest in buying?" we tell them, "We were told this was an Owner's update." (which is true)

I like an answer to this that I'd seen here previously.

"I'm here for the same reason that you are. {HGVC/Marriott/Hyatt/etc.} are paying me to be here ." :D

Cheers.

jnsrusty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
Plus, when they try to shame you with "Why are you attending this presentation when you have no interest in buying?" we tell them, "We were told this was an Owner's update." (which is true)

That's exactly what we told them! I thought that was funny as well. They ask why you are there if you have no intention of buying, but they try to lure people in by saying it's an owner's update. I told the sales guy, "We thought you were going to update us on what's going on inside HGVC. Isn't that what an owner's update is?" ;)

Last edited:

jnsrusty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
And, if you go Sunday or Monday evenings (I think it's both nights at both locations) at 5 and get in line (actually have to get there closer to 4:15), it's 50% of on just about everything on the menu. Worth the time hanging out. Did this in Kihei in May with friends.

Cheers.

That's true! Unfortunately, we didn't discover this until after we ate dinner, but at least it was Hilton who was picking up the tab and not us.

jnsrusty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa

The sushi was indeed very fresh and the seafood pasta was just as good if not better! I would not hesitate to eat there again. Thanks for the tip that Sansei is on the island of Maui, too!

jnsrusty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
Wow. Great additions if true. If they turn these into timeshares, I take back what I said about them doubling down on the "By Hilton Club" city properties. These would add desireable Maui and a Ko Olina alternative on Oahu.

I agree! Adding timeshare units on Maui and the north side of Oahu would be huge. We'll see if it actually happens, but I would be very happy to visit either of these locations.

As a side note...the sales person also told us that Hilton is looking to add another HGVC location in Italy. He said that Hilton realizes that owners are interested in HGVC having a bigger footprint in Europe. I realize that timeshare sales people can often (or always) stretch the truth, but I wanted to put that information out there.[/QUOTE]

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The sushi was indeed very fresh and the seafood pasta was just as good if not better! I would not hesitate to eat there again. Thanks for the tip that Sansei is on the island of Maui, too!
I just looked up their website. They have several other locations in Hawaii (and also Seattle) as well:

https://sanseihawaii.com/

Another hidden gem, although maybe it's more well known now, is Pueo's Osteria in Waikoloa Village. Wonderful Italian food!

http://www.pueososteria.com/#welcome

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I was under the impression that Wailea doesnt permit timeshare units (20 more years?) so even though Blackstone bought Grand Wailea, I don’t think we will see these become timeshare units. Maybe one day...

Best,

Greg

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Can someone who is at Kings Land now take a picture and post the KL activities calandar for July? We will be there the end of July Early Aug and want to get an idea what the events are. Trying on things to do.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I was under the impression that Wailea doesnt permit timeshare units (20 more years?) so even though Blackstone bought Grand Wailea, I don’t think we will see these become timeshare units. Maybe one day...

Best,

Greg

Is that a rule specific to Grand Wailea, or a city regulation?

To be honest i am uncertain that adding Timeshare units really fit within the brand profile for Waldorf Astoria / The Grand Wailea. Seems like they are very much focused on the luxury market.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Blackstone is not the same as Hilton or HGVC. They buy and sell many hotel properties. Even when they owned Hilton outright, they still had other properties managed by other brand such as Hyatt, Marriott, Motel 6, etc. Since Blackstone buys and sells properties, they may not be that anxious to tie part of the property up with Vacation Ownership Units as that would hamper their ability to sell or change management of the property..

I believe all the hotels that have that converted a portion of their rooms to HGVC have been owned by Hilton corp or now Park Hotels and Resorts, the REIT that was spun out of Hilton at the same time as HGVC.

Park Hotels owns the Midtown in New York with the Hilton Club and Residences, the HHV and HWV in Hawaii, as well as the Embassy Suites in DC.