• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II: Limit on number of Guest Certificates in a year?

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about II limiting Guest Certificates that you're allowed in a year?

During my last call with them, they mentioned something at the end of the call and it didn't fully process until I got off the phone. I can't find anything in their Terms & Conditions but the agent had said something about only allowing 3 certificates a year.

I sometimes use my exchanges as gifts for family members so I don't want to gift something and find out after they get there, it won't be honored.

Thanks,
-Nico

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is definitely not 3. There is no official limit. They will flag your account for review to determine if you are renting out exchanges but that is the extent of it. It is pretty normal for me to have around 10 a year.

The "3" limitation has to do with purchasing getaways for the same resort and week. You cannot purchase more than 3, but you can have an unlimited number of regular exchanges and guest certificates for the same resort and week.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is definitely not 3. There is no official limit. They will flag your account for review to determine if you are renting out exchanges but that is the extent of it. It is pretty normal for me to have around 10 a year.

The "3" limitation has to do with purchasing getaways for the same resort and week. You cannot purchase more than 3, but you can have an unlimited number of regular exchanges and guest certificates for the same resort and week.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I’m definitely not renting. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The three limit is for the number of getaways at the same resort during the same time period. I think a lot of Marriott getaways have this restriction. If you book a fourth, they will cancel it.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not doing getaways so no worries there. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Although, would it surprise anyone if I.I. did decided to limit the guest certificates to three? I could see them doing this as a way to curtail those abusers that use the timeshare exchange process as a cottage industry to rent for profit, despite the rule against it. I'm not saying it would make sense for I.I. to do something like this. I am saying it wouldn't surprise me.

What REALLY wouldn't surprise me is if they did this as an "enhancement" to the premium levels of membership. Say, only 3 guest certificates for a standard membership, 5 for gold and unlimited for platinum.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although, would it surprise anyone if I.I. did decided to limit the guest certificates to three? I could see them doing this as a way to curtail those abusers that use the timeshare exchange process as a cottage industry to rent for profit, despite the rule against it. I'm not saying it would make sense for I.I. to do something like this. I am saying it wouldn't surprise me.

What REALLY wouldn't surprise me is if they did this as an "enhancement" to the premium levels of membership. Say, only 3 guest certificates for a standard membership, 5 for gold and unlimited for platinum.

II is active in shutting down mass renters so I do not see them restricting guest certificates for that purpose. The more deposits and exchanges a member makes, the more profit II makes. They are not going to engage in something that decreases the revenue from members that are high volume for personal use.

Your last paragraph is covered by the existing guest certificate fee for standard memberships. Anyone that is going to have 3 or more per year is going to upgrade to platinum.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
II is active in shutting down mass renters so I do not see them restricting guest certificates for that purpose. The more deposits and exchanges a member makes, the more profit II makes. They are not going to engage in something that decreases the revenue from members that are high volume for personal use.

Your last paragraph is covered by the existing guest certificate fee for standard memberships. Anyone that is going to have 3 or more per year is going to upgrade to platinum.

Obviously I don't pay a lot of attention to I.I. anymore. They've sort of "enhanced" me right out of being a member. ;) My personal membership will be dropped when it comes due again. I only hold a corporate membership to RCI thru HGVC and it will be the same with I.I. through MVC in another year or so.

It doesn't have to make sense from an owners perspective. It only has to make sense from I.I.'s corporate perspective, so, like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if they restricted the guest certificates even if it makes little to no sense. There isn't anything the two major exchange companies do that surprises me anymore. Disappoints me yes, surprise no.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Obviously I don't pay a lot of attention to I.I. anymore. They've sort of "enhanced" me right out of being a member. ;) My personal membership will be dropped when it comes due again. I only hold a corporate membership to RCI thru HGVC and it will be the same with I.I. through MVC in another year or so.

It doesn't have to make sense from an owners perspective. It only has to make sense from I.I.'s corporate perspective, so, like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if they restricted the guest certificates even if it makes little to no sense. There isn't anything the two major exchange companies do that surprises me anymore. Disappoints me yes, surprise no.

True. I just see the trend in everything they have done geared towards increasing revenue. The upgrade fees and the recent fantastic OGS auto-upgrade option is a huge boost to revenue. I could be wrong and they could always restrict AC's, deposits, guest certificates. Marriott could come in and have an "agenda" and turn the apple cart upside down.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
True. I just see the trend in everything they have done geared towards increasing revenue. The upgrade fees and the recent fantastic OGS auto-upgrade option is a huge boost to revenue. I could be wrong and they could always restrict AC's, deposits, guest certificates. Marriott could come in and have an "agenda" and turn the apple cart upside down.

It’s the Marriott effect I’m concerned about.
I’ve stopped trying to make sense of what the big 2 do and just try and enjoy the ownerships we still hold.
It’s funny in that we use to make between 2 and 4 paid exchanges per year plus the occasional use of an AC. As the revenue enhancements have continued, we’ve dropped our RCI account and have made maybe 1 exchange EOY with II and plan on non-renewing our II account when it comes due. So as far as II is concerned, they’ve enhanced their way out of a minimum of $400/year and possibly $700/year when every vacation was an exchange vacation. Some enhancement in revenue huh? ;)

Ricci

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Why don't you just cancel your personal membership now? You will get a prorated refund.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Why don't you just cancel your personal membership now? You will get a prorated refund.

Thought about it. But there’s not that much time remaining