• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ok, I guess I am meant to go.....

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
My favorite island is the big island. I have been there 8 times, but have also been to Oahu, Maui and Kauai a few time too.

I have been fascinated by the volcano for years. I actually had a live feed from Civil Beat up on my computer for days, while they had that awesome live feed, before those families had to be evacuated. I have checking on what is going on nearly every day since this eruption cycle started.

So I finished my currently project. Having a bit of time off. Looking for work but I figure what the H. If, if, if.

If I can find a cheap enough flight, and/or work it into another flight I have to take.
If I can find a TS unit to stay in.
If I think there are some sort of tours I can take to see the active flows,
THEN I WILL GO.

Ok. So I am going.

So I have to be in Phoenix for a Convention Aug 3 to 7, so i was flying anyway.

I found a 1 way flight on AA in Main Cabin Fare, not that discounted where you can't even bring a carry on. So on July 26th I got IAH - DFW - KOA for $187. I even booked it through Chase UR portal so it really only cost me the cash equivalent of $125. I can't fly anywhere for $125, but I can fly to Hawaii apparently. Ironically, the other two legs KOA to PHX and PHX to IAH are both more expensive than this leg, but not by a lot. $620 for all 3 legs, which was only $413 Cash Back Value on my Chase Ultimate Rewards points.

Wyndham had space so I booked Sea Cliffs in Kailua-Kona, and I had 2017 HGVC Points that I rolled and were expiring so I used up some nights at Waikoloa Kings Land too. I like to do things in both south around Kona and I like Waikoloa, and I don't always like driving back and forth each day, so I thought I would try the split days.

I found both Helicopter and Boat tours are operating, even though the VNP is closed. So I am leaning towards another Heli tour, but the boat tour sounds interesting.

Has anyone done either since the currently eruption event has happened? i'd be interested

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Just want to mention that THIS ^^^ is what creative vacation planning looks like. :clap: Great job, Sandy!

Dave

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just want to mention that THIS ^^^ is what creative vacation planning looks like. :clap: Great job, Sandy!

Dave

Sometimes you are just meant to go, beside when have you EVER seen a flight to hawaii for that little money.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sometimes you are just meant to go, beside when have you EVER seen a flight to hawaii for that little money.

Not in recent memory, that's for sure. I hope you have an awesome time.

(Sidebar: In 2001 I got airfare from Seattle to Orlando a month after 9/11, for $125 roundtrip. I figured it was the safest time ever to fly, so we went. Got super-discounted tickets to Disneyworld, and stayed in a 4ish-star Kissimmee hotel six nights for about $70 a night. The entire trip for two, with meals, cost something like $1000. Heck of a reason things were so cheap, but it was a fine trip. Disneyworld was deserted.)

Dave

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was in Hawaii on a 3 week trip 2 weeks after (9/11). Trip was already planned so airfare was paid for but the place was empty and got upgraded and treated really well everywhere we went.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I was in Hawaii on a 3 week trip 2 weeks after (9/11). Trip was already planned so airfare was paid for but the place was empty and got upgraded and treated really well everywhere we went.

We did too. There were only maybe a dozen people on the flight. The hotel was also very empty. Disney was the real shocker. I've never seen it so empty. Almost creepy. But Epcot was excellent - no crowds!

Dave

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did the Ocean Lava Tours boat just last week, a 4P departure. It was fabulous. We saw molten lava dripping into the ocean, and several other visible spots of lava. You could feel the heat in the air, and the spray from the ocean was /hot/. A bucket-list opportunity for sure, and worth the $250pp we paid and then some.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We did the Ocean Lava Tours boat just last week, a 4P departure. It was fabulous. We saw molten lava dripping into the ocean, and several other visible spots of lava. You could feel the heat in the air, and the spray from the ocean was /hot/. A bucket-list opportunity for sure, and worth the $250pp we paid and then some.

I am trying to decide between Heli or boat. I do not know what air restrictions the pilots have for flying. I guess I would need to call. Did you see many helicopters when you were on the way to the lava?

There is so much lava coming out in a large area of oceanfront, I am temped to go that route. I continue to watch and see what the lava does over the next 3 weeks before I leave.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sounds great. I would also love to see lava flowing into ocean. Hopefully later this year...

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Great plan SandyVH !
Wow $187 OW from Houston to Kona? I think some mid-west airports have much better fares to Hawaii,
than what I can get shorter notice from Seattle. I too booked tickets about a month in advance to HNL for
more than what you paid for your tickets, :ponder: Gonna see the lava too, but farther away than the tour boats.