• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Purchases The Quin - 4th property in NYC

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Higher dues at The Residences that include daily housekeeping. Stays of 3 nights or less at W 57th St have $85 housekeeping fee.

If you want to avoid housekeeping fees at W 57th St stay in the penthouse. Daily housekeeping with no extra fees.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thank you Tuggers. I learn a new thing every day. That's an interesting perk for short stays.

Do non-owners get lounge access at Residences? I know they don't at The District from our recent stay.

Do you know if The District has free daily housekeeping? We had a housekeeper tidy up every day, but we were on a VIP so may be different policy.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the $85+tax cleaning fee, I understand that they charge that for any stay for 3 days or less. That is certainly a bummer and another plus for Honolulu over NYC. Do they charge the $85 cleaning fee for the Residences?

Except that the destinations are totally different. Yeah, I can see that the $85 is not a positive, but it still doesn't make any comparison between the two valid, IMO, as vacation destinations. I'd much rather spend the extra $85 in New York than to to Honolulu at all. Oahu is certainly the least desirable of the 4 main islands to us. Of course YMMV.

Cheers.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to avoid housekeeping fees at W 57th St stay in the penthouse. Daily housekeeping with no extra fees.

Well, except for the MFs on the hugely increased number of points :)

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Except that the destinations are totally different. Yeah, I can see that the $85 is not a positive, but it still doesn't make any comparison between the two valid, IMO, as vacation destinations. I'd much rather spend the extra $85 in New York than to to Honolulu at all. Oahu is certainly the least desirable of the 4 main islands to us. Of course YMMV.

Cheers.
It all depends on what you are looking for. We are looking for a vacation where we don't need a car and can do all the things we want to do ie. see shows, have dinner out without drinking and driving, shop all over, and walk all over or take inexpensive public transportation. Both Honolulu and NYC give one that. Except Manhattan has no beach; it is along way to get there. I assume you don't get a car in NYC but you do on the Hawaiian Islands other than perhaps Honolulu. If you do get a car in Honolulu, I would agree with you it is the least favorite island. I always say if you must have a car, go to another island than Oahu.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what you are looking for. We are looking for a vacation where we don't need a car and can do all the things we want to do ie. see shows, have dinner out without drinking and driving, shop all over, and walk all over or take inexpensive public transportation. Both Honolulu and NYC give one that. Except Manhattan has no beach; it is along way to get there. I assume you don't get a car in NYC but you do on the Hawaiian Islands other than perhaps Honolulu. If you do get a car in Honolulu, I would agree with you it is the least favorite island. I always say if you must have a car, go to another island than Oahu.

I’m no fan of nyc as a vacation spot (since I’m from here and live here and all), but the beach is accessible by public transportation from Manhattan. Just take the D, N, Q or F subway to the last stop in Coney Island. About a 35-45 minute ride from midtown. I really don’t want to ride back in my wet bathing suit to Manhattan, but the millions that do it all summer don’t seem to mind.

You can also take the Long Island Rail Road or NJ Transit to Long Island/Jersey Shore beaches, but not as covenant or close as the subway.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I’m no fan of nyc as a vacation spot (since I’m from here and live here and all), but the beach is accessible by public transportation from Manhattan. Just take the D, N, Q or F subway to the last stop in Coney Island. About a 35-45 minute ride from midtown. I really don’t want to ride back in my wet bathing suit to Manhattan, but the millions that do it all summer don’t seem to mind.

You can also take the Long Island Rail Road or NJ Transit to Long Island/Jersey Shore beaches, but not as covenant or close as the subway.

As I said in NYC the beach is a long way to get there. From the Lagoon Tower it takes about as long as it takes to get down the elevator. (Which sometimes can be a long time and you need to take the stairs!!!!) I question your 35-45 minutes from the HGVC timeshares in midtown to Coney Island. I have ridden the subway to Coney Island many years ago and it always seemed like more than an hour. I now live on Long Island and we always take a car to the beach. Since I have always lived in the center of the island it has always been about 45 minutes by car to get to Jones Beach, Robert Moses State Park, or Smith Point County Park for the Ocean since all roads don't always go straight there. You are correct that you can take the Long Island Rail Road to Long Beach, however, the walk from the railroad station is about the distance of the entire width of Waikiki from the Ala Wai to the Ocean.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

It very much does depend. We definitely don't get a car in NYC (although the last few trips have been via vacation packages that include airfare and a car since it is cheaper than the airfare alone...and we simply never pick up the car :))

We have done a car in Oahu, but that's because we have no interests in the beached anywhere near Honolulu/Waikiki. Too crowded and uninteresting. North shore, or hiking in the northwest part of the island needs a car. So, even Oahu requires a car for the kinds of things we like to do. For other islands we do get a car. Hawai'i Island requires it as Waikoloa is 19 miles away from Kona. Just did it in Maui and it was very much necessary to go to the more interesting places. We're generally very limited in the "hang out by the pool or lay on the beach" activities. A small amount of time snorkeling (and that needs to be done far from Honolulu) goes a long way, and then we need to be out going places.

But again, as you say - it's about what one is looking for in a vacation.

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It very much does depend. We definitely don't get a car in NYC (although the last few trips have been via vacation packages that include airfare and a car since it is cheaper than the airfare alone...and we simply never pick up the car :))

We have done a car in Oahu, but that's because we have no interests in the beached anywhere near Honolulu/Waikiki. Too crowded and uninteresting. North shore, or hiking in the northwest part of the island needs a car. So, even Oahu requires a car for the kinds of things we like to do. For other islands we do get a car. Hawai'i Island requires it as Waikoloa is 19 miles away from Kona. Just did it in Maui and it was very much necessary to go to the more interesting places. We're generally very limited in the "hang out by the pool or lay on the beach" activities. A small amount of time snorkeling (and that needs to be done far from Honolulu) goes a long way, and then we need to be out going places.

But again, as you say - it's about what one is looking for in a vacation.

Cheers.

So with the things you like to do you need a car. I agree. So why go to Honolulu and pay for parking and fight the traffic. Again, if you must have a car, go to a different island. They are all beautiful. They are all interesting. If I wanted to have a car I would go to one of the other islands, and we have been to all 6 islands you can go to.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
So with the things you like to do you need a car. I agree. So why go to Honolulu and pay for parking and fight the traffic. Again, if you must have a car, go to a different island. They are all beautiful. They are all interesting. If I wanted to have a car I would go to one of the other islands, and we have been to all 6 islands you can go to.

Agreed. We rarely go to Oahu. However. mrs. brp got her Ph.D. there and has friends living there that we occasionally visit. But, yeah, Hawai'i Island is our go-to. Bay Club, specifically :)

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Agreed. We rarely go to Oahu. However. mrs. brp got her Ph.D. there and has friends living there that we occasionally visit. But, yeah, Hawai'i Island is our go-to. Bay Club, specifically :)

Cheers.

One disadvantage, or advantage depending on your point of view, we have without a car is it makes difficult to visit friends that we have that live in the outer areas of Oahu. While we certainly can get there by bus during the day time, but walking along country roads at night in areas that are not pedestrian friendly (no side walks) is not safe nor our idea of a good time. In addition, the bus stops at around 8:00 PM in some of those areas. Therefore, when they want to see us we meet up with them in Waikiki, Ala Moana, Kakaako, or Downtown. All those areas we can walk to easily or take the very good and frequent bus which usually runs up to 1:00 to and from those meet ups.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I said in NYC the beach is a long way to get there. From the Lagoon Tower it takes about as long as it takes to get down the elevator. (Which sometimes can be a long time and you need to take the stairs!!!!) I question your 35-45 minutes from the HGVC timeshares in midtown to Coney Island. I have ridden the subway to Coney Island many years ago and it always seemed like more than an hour. I now live on Long Island and we always take a car to the beach. Since I have always lived in the center of the island it has always been about 45 minutes by car to get to Jones Beach, Robert Moses State Park, or Smith Point County Park for the Ocean since all roads don't always go straight there. You are correct that you can take the Long Island Rail Road to Long Beach, however, the walk from the railroad station is about the distance of the entire width of Waikiki from the Ala Wai to the Ocean.

I just looked up D train express - you're right. According to timetable it's about a 50 minute ride from 34 (I did say midtown - I honestly have no idea where all the HGVC are other than the w57 location since it's built in to the name).

Either way, my point was, while nyc is not a beach destination per se, there is still the option of many beaches accessible to midtown without a car (jersey shore, Long Island, rockaways, Coney Island/brighten beach, orchard beach, etc). Granted, it's not Hawaii or Miami Beach, but there always is the option for the beach on a 100 degree plus day, like this week.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are right you can get to the beach from NYC without a car. I think you would agree that most people do not stay in midtown Manhattan to go to the beach. The HGVC locations are all in the mid 50's in the center of the island. Therefore, the trip would be a little longer to get to Coney Island than from 34th street. Also, I don't know if the D Train Express runs in the Coney Island direction during the hours that one would want to go to the beach. It may be have an afternoon rush hour timetable, with the morning rush hour period coming in the Manhattan direction from Brooklyn. If I recall the local trains to Coney Island were very slow and stopped so many times going thru Brooklyn.

Manhattan has its advantages and benefits that distinguish it from the other cities in the US. It is an expensive vacation spot that many people desire and are willing to pay for. We know many Hawaiians who visit or wish they could visit NYC. Both Arimaas and I come from NYC and have spent a great deal of time there. Perhaps that is why it doesn't have the attraction that it does for others. When I was young going driving into NYC just before midnight to get into clubs for free before the cover was a thing. Staying at after hours clubs until sun-up the next morning and then going to breakfast before driving home was a treat. At 68 years old that is no longer attractive or a treat. Honolulu with the earlier and less hectic party pace is. Also, no matter what anyone says and how fast the train or car is there is no comparison between going to the beach in January in Honolulu versus NYC!!!!

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I lived in NYC and the boroughs, still visit often. It worth taking the train for a day into Coney Island Brooklyn and/or beaches for the day. Train rides are easy. A few train lines go there. If you get off at west 8th street in Brooklyn, NY, you have a one block walk to the beach, boardwalk and aquarium. A few block walk to Coney Island amusement area with the original Nathan’s Hot dog place and a few block walk to Brighton Beach, with the Russian influences in all the food stores, yummy. If you are there in the summer you can go on the weekend and see the fireworks that are always great.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, no matter what anyone says and how fast the train or car is there is no comparison between going to the beach in January in Honolulu versus NYC!!!!

Haha I hear you. I can only imagine how cold it would be at a beach in January at NYC.
We visited in February 2015 and it was cold as f... it was around 2 in the evenings and not much warmer during the day.

jestme

Reaction score
I wish instead of focusing on building a fourth property in nyc they would spread the love around to other cities (although I guess the demand is there for nyc). Philadelphia, Boston, LA, etc. if they are going to be working on the By Hilton Club brand (which doesn’t really help me anyway because of the reservation requirements), I wish it wasn’t all saturated in one place (yes, yes I know Charleston and The District).

Also while I’m on my soap box, the club within a club is annoying.
A club within a club is really insulting to the HGVC members who get second priority access to any of the Hilton Club properties. To claim "HGVC buys" when it is really a "Hilton Club" property is very misleading and tries to make HGVC seem more valuable. I'm sure the HGVC sales reps have a field day with it as well.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It's not even a "club" within a club. It is priority access to a specific property with access to the entire HGVC system. 15 days early access to other "By Hilton Club" properties, with no reciprocal access to lounges at the other clubs, is not much of a "club."

IMO it appears they are moving away from the notion of points are points and the HGVC club system concept. On the other hand, they could have made this an entirely separate product with no HGVC club reservation access so it is better than nothing.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
On the other hand, they could have made this an entirely separate product with no HGVC club reservation access so it is better than nothing.
I think it is actually not better than nothing to an existing HGVC owner who doesn't own any of the "by Hilton Club" properties because it just creates more competition in trying to get reservations at the existing HGVC properties. A 44-day window to a location that requires flights is absolutely worthless to me...

Kurt

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it is actually not better than nothing to an existing HGVC owner who doesn't own any of the "by Hilton Club" properties because it just creates more competition in trying to get reservations at the existing HGVC properties. A 44-day window to a location that requires flights is absolutely worthless to me...

Kurt

I rather not have access to the “club”properties and keep the “club” properties out of our inventory. They can get prime weeks and we only get leftovers. Definitely diminishing the value of our hgvc ownership.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@PigsDad @Panina Good points. My thinking is that such owners would not want to use their expensive By Hilton Club points on regular HGVC reservations. I agree that a 44 day window with the cost of plane travel is not very useful.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@PigsDad @Panina Good points. My thinking is that such owners would not want to use their expensive By Hilton Club points on regular HGVC reservations. I agree that a 44 day window with the cost of plane travel is not very useful.
We have quite a few high demand resorts that I believe they would want ....Hawaii, winter prime weeks in the affiliates in Florida, Miami 2 bedroom winter prime weeks, Hilton Head, etc. More members going for the same amount of resorts but a one way street.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have quite a few high demand resorts that I believe they would want ....Hawaii, winter prime weeks in the affiliates in Florida, Miami 2 bedroom winter prime weeks, Hilton Head, etc. More members going for the same amount of resorts but a one way street.

While I agree with your point, in general, I also feel that @CalGalTraveler has a valid point. It's not that likely for someone that owns just ByHiltonClub points to use those for resorts outside the network, even though they could- just because of the cost associated with those points.

We own at W. 57th, so part of the "club" and we could use those points at the regular properties. But we also own Flamingo points to use elsewhere just because they're a crapload cheaper. So, our reservations made with our Flamingo points for a prime Hawai'i week are the same as yours, even though we own at W. 57th.

I do wonder (and will never know) just how many people:

A. Own only By Hilton Club points and no others
B. For those in the above, how many really use those for non Club properties with any regularity.

Cheers.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
While I agree with your point, in general, I also feel that @CalGalTraveler has a valid point. It's not that likely for someone that owns just ByHiltonClub points to use those for resorts outside the network, even though they could- just because of the cost associated with those points.

We own at W. 57th, so part of the "club" and we could use those points at the regular properties. But we also own Flamingo points to use elsewhere just because they're a crapload cheaper. So, our reservations made with our Flamingo points for a prime Hawai'i week are the same as yours, even though we own at W. 57th.

I do wonder (and will never know) just how many people:

A. Own only By Hilton Club points and no others
B. For those in the above, how many really use those for non Club properties with any regularity.

Cheers.
Great questions. It would be nice to know.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
We only have "by Hilton Club" points because we want to go to New York. We do not use them anywhere else, mostly because it would be stupid. We paid a lot for the points and I'm sure the MF are higher and we did that because we want to go to New York. We also own a lot of other timeshares that we can use for non NYC travel.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC just announced their 4th property in NYC. The Quin. 208 hotel rooms being converted into 212 timeshare unites...

From the outside looking in I think HGVC thinks they have found a new nitche;i.e. selling TimeShares in big cities. If they expand this to enough cities, I can see the Hilton Club being spun off into an entirely separate entity...

George