• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New II OGS search feature for larger units than deposit

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just happened to "review" an OGS search I have established in II and noticed they now offer the option to upgrade into larger units automatically. You tell them what you will accept and agree to pay the corresponding upgrade fee.

Love it - I am using a 1BR to search with right now and typically will take what I can get and then hopefully Eplus to a larger unit later. I just may not have to watch the instants to eplus if something ends up confirming from the get-go!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I just happened to "review" an OGS search I have established in II and noticed they now offer the option to upgrade into larger units automatically. You tell them what you will accept and agree to pay the corresponding upgrade fee.

Love it - I am using a 1BR to search with right now and typically will take what I can get and then hopefully Eplus to a larger unit later. I just may not have to watch the instants to eplus if something ends up confirming from the get-go!
That's really great! Yes, I just said that about II's website.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This certainly takes away my angst and makes II trades more valuable again. Because we live on the west coast, there is really no hope for me to catch bulk deposits that take place in my sleeping hours or so and I usually want to trade a smaller unit for a larger unit or locations with only larger units.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Looks like you can get around the like for like rule with this. Just set the smallest unit you will accept to be larger than your current unit size, though this does make the match harder.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Interval came thru for it’s members. Will get on later to check it out. Crossing my fingers it is working right.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
That’s the first “enhancement” they’ve made in a long time I actually like.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just when we thought we will rarely be using II anymore, with this enhancement we are now planning to use it more in the future.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know if a match is made, upgrade fee is paid per this automated process, and then you cancel within 24 hours, is the upgrade fee refunded?

I would assume so, but then again I don't like to assume. Does anyone know?

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know if a match is made, upgrade fee is paid per this automated process, and then you cancel within 24 hours, is the upgrade fee refunded?

I would assume so, but then again I don't like to assume. Does anyone know?

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I walked through the process and it said that the fee is only charged when a match is successful and you have to set up your credit card on file. I assume the upgrade fee is refunded if you cancel within 24 hours. In the past I have done ePlus and the upgrade fee that has been collected stays in "memory" and it does not charge me again when I book the same size that I had previously paid. I assume it will collect again for another room size if you ePlus to another size up.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I saw this new feature earlier today when I made a change to an OGS. I like the automatic upgrade and payment if a match is made. Before this change I was concerned that I wouldn’t be available when they would call to say they have a match with a larger unit, but they need payment to finalize it. This eliminates that concern.

Best regards.

Mike

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
From II FAQs:

Q. Will I get a chance to upgrade my unit size if I place an exchange request?

• Depending on availability, you may be offered the chance to request a Unit-Size Upgrade while placing an exchange request. When placing your request, you will be asked to provide your payment information in advance, and, if confirmed to a larger unit, you will be charged a Unit-Size Upgrade fee.

Q. What if my exchange request is confirmed, but the Unit-Size Upgrade I requested was not available?

• If your exchange request is confirmed, but there is no Unit-Size Upgrade available, you will not be charged the Unit-Size Upgrade fee.

Q. I cancelled my exchange. Do I receive a refund for my Unit-Size Upgrade fee?

• The refund of Unit-Size Upgrade fees operates the same way as the refund of exchange fees does. If your cancellation is within 24 hours of your exchange confirmation, your Unit-Size Upgrade fee will be refunded. If a cancellation is made after 24 hours, no fees will be refunded.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great news for all OGS users! I really can't recall a decent enhancement in recent times. Truly amazing!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
This certainly takes away my angst and makes II trades more valuable again. Because we live on the west coast, there is really no hope for me to catch bulk deposits that take place in my sleeping hours or so and I usually want to trade a smaller unit for a larger unit or locations with only larger units.

You speaking of me? :)

But is your math off? If I see a real time unit show up at 3AM central time, isn't that 1AM PST, i.e., easier for you? Other than you may not be a night owl like me and may work unlike me.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You speaking of me? :)

But is your math off? If I see a real time unit show up at 3AM central time, isn't that 1AM PST, i.e., easier for you? Other than you may not be a night owl like me and may work unlike me.
10pm in bed, sleeping by 11pm at the latest. :)

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
10pm in bed, sleeping by 11pm at the latest. :)

Wow, then you are right, this change is great for you! Heck, we went to see a movie last night which started at 11PM....

What is the world coming to though. First some good MVCI website changes, and now II changes. I don't know if I can stand it!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, then you are right, this change is great for you! Heck, we went to see a movie last night which started at 11PM....

What is the world coming to though. First some good MVCI website changes, and now II changes. I don't know if I can stand it!
In summer I wake up at 6am, sometimes at 5am. When the sun is up, I am up! :) Also, we book our golf rounds between 6am to 7am, so it means we need to be up at 5am on those days. Later means it gets too hot to be out golfing.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
And just like that the upgrade fees are worth it...
Nah, just another nickle and dime fee. They could have done this without the upgrade fee. Especially for people who paid to become enrolled with the promise that all Marriott to Marriott trades would be fee free. Not true since the upgrade fee was added.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just did my first request using the new feature. Terms & condition that you agree to during the process.
“Terms & Conditions
You agree to pay a Unit-Size Upgrade fee based on your Interval membership tier. If confirmed, you will be charged the Unit-Size Upgrade fee corresponding to the size of the upgraded unit. If your membership tier changes prior to the confirmation date, you will be charged based on your membership tier’s Unit-Size Upgrade fee structure at the time of confirmation.

If the Unit-Size Upgrade fee changes before your request is confirmed and you have not made modifications to your request, you will be charged based on the Unit-Size Upgrade fee that was in effect when the request was made. If the Unit-Size Upgrade fee increases before your request is confirmed and you have modified your request, you will be charged the increased fee which displayed when you modified your request.”

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just did my first request using the new feature. Terms & condition that you agree to during the process.
“Terms & Conditions
You agree to pay a Unit-Size Upgrade fee based on your Interval membership tier. If confirmed, you will be charged the Unit-Size Upgrade fee corresponding to the size of the upgraded unit. If your membership tier changes prior to the confirmation date, you will be charged based on your membership tier’s Unit-Size Upgrade fee structure at the time of confirmation.

If the Unit-Size Upgrade fee changes before your request is confirmed and you have not made modifications to your request, you will be charged based on the Unit-Size Upgrade fee that was in effect when the request was made. If the Unit-Size Upgrade fee increases before your request is confirmed and you have modified your request, you will be charged the increased fee which displayed when you modified your request.”
I take it to mean 2 things like how it is listed, it will be based on your membership level and that II intends increase unit-size upgrade fees periodically.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have been talking about this for a long time. That is a great upgrade to the system and will save those annoying II telephone calls. Now I will go ahead and lock-off my Marriott weeks again and make double the deposits.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nah, just another nickle and dime fee. They could have done this without the upgrade fee. Especially for people who paid to become enrolled with the promise that all Marriott to Marriott trades would be fee free. Not true since the upgrade fee was added.

I am not saying that adding the fees was the best way to do it, it wasn't, but how do you allow everyone to size upgrade? For every member that wants to upgrade a studio to a 2BR there needs to be a member willing to downgrade a 2BR to a studio. Everyone thinks they paid for the right to size upgrade and nobody wants to downgrade. Where are all these larger units coming from?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not saying that adding the fees was the best way to do it, it wasn't, but how do you allow everyone to size upgrade? For every member that wants to upgrade a studio to a 2BR there needs to be a member willing to downgrade a 2BR to a studio. Everyone thinks they paid for the right to size upgrade and nobody wants to downgrade. Where are all these larger units coming from?
If Marriott sold it saying trades would always be free in II, being upset should be with Marriott sales lies not II.

Timesharing has envolved and with all the systems out there things has to change. In order for members who own prime weeks in desirable places to deposit and for those deposits to continue, you need to set up a system to compete and get these members equivalent trades.

Whereas first I was upset with the upgrade fee I now actually now am ok with it. Yes, they are making more money but that aside, II gives me a better chance of getting trades I want using my best trading weeks. I am not competing with others who own less desirable weeks.

RCI allows other members to combine, extend and pay. I stopped giving RCI my prime weeks as I never get matched with prime weeks. I am sure many have combine tpus and extended expiration’s and there is a long list waiting to be matched. My winter week in Marco Island has no value in RCI, I give them to II.

As I see it II has a two tier system, first the quality of resort with the demand of the week and second, size. People before were grabbing the largest units available even if not needed because it was free, including me.

If I trade my one bedroom Marco Island Prime week for a two bedroom Sanibel week, I smile, I got it and am ok paying the fee.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do think their is one caveat here that we do need to think about.

Just because you have the option to set up the OGS for larger units, doesn't necessarily mean that you will get one if available if II sticks with their typical trade power.

Example: I have a 1BR non rated resort that I can only ever "see" Marriott Studios with during prime weeks at prime resorts. Even though I could put in a request for a larger unit...if my original deposit only has enough to pull smaller units, then I'm thinking the larger units will still not match.

Make sense?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I do agree that the past system was unsustainable, though it never really had to be that way. Should my studio have always been able to gran 2BR and 3BR units. No. They should have allocated their trade power accordingly. It has long been a broken system. The new system allows II to monetize it where had they restricted access to larger units under the old system, they may have had people flee instead.