• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Marriott Rewards (SPG) Property Categories and Travel Package Requirements effective Aug '18

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Yesterday Marriott released information relevant to members of both the Marriott Rewards and (former) Starwood Preferred Guest loyalty programs, which now come under the same Marriott, Int'l / Marriott Rewards umbrella. Marriott people have begun receiving related emails; probably SPG members should be expecting the same thing.

The combined property list showing the numerical property designations and redemption requirements is here: EXPLORE ALL 6,500 PARTICIPATING HOTELS.

Information about air/hotel packages is here: TRAVEL PACKAGES.

We Marriott people are talking about it here: New Marriott Rewards ... effective Aug '18. We're happy to help if you want to join us but no doubt some of the discussion belongs on this board as you all learn what you need to know.

Good luck! :)

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Thanks!

I was reviewing a few options last night, but this is more info than I had seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thank you, Sue, for the update!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
It might be helpful to know that the Marriott Rewards phone lines have been difficult lately with long waits and some reps apparently still in training. Also, marriott.com is advising that service might be interrupted because of maintenance. Whether all of this is related is anyone's guess, but in this case patience is definitely a virtue. :)

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Only 7-night travel packages? I really preferred the SPG 5-nights. Seven is often too much in a hotel at once for me.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Only 7-night travel packages? I really preferred the SPG 5-nights. Seven is often too much in a hotel at once for me.

The seven night packages are the official ones available from Marriott Rewards to all members. The five night packages are only available to Marriott Vacation Club owners. No word from them yet if they will live on.

I am concerned they may go away since so many people are now using DC points and the uproar over the devaluation may be a lot less this time around than when they actually created the five night packages back in 2010.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The seven night packages are the official ones available from Marriott Rewards to all members. The five night packages are only available to Marriott Vacation Club owners. No word from them yet if they will live on.

I am concerned they may go away since so many people are now using DC points and the uproar over the devaluation may be a lot less this time around than when they actually created the five night packages back in 2010.

Ok, tho this thread isn’t about MVC. SPG had only five night night+flight packages, and I’m annoyed Marriott is extending that to seven nights. I think a week in the same hotel is too much.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Ok, tho this thread isn’t about MVC. SPG had only five night night+flight packages, and I’m annoyed Marriott is extending that to seven nights. I think a week in the same hotel is too much.

Got it. I never realized that SPG offered the five night night+flights. It looks like they are doing away with that for the general MR population.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Got it. I never realized that SPG offered the five night night+flights. It looks like they are doing away with that for the general MR population.

I found it convenient and used it several times, if not more.

The new 7-night package with 100,000 miles is also good, but not as great a deal (tho better than the 50,000). Combined with the 33% reduction on earning points via the AMEX credit card and this is a big increase. I’m still not sure if I’m going to rationalize spending money on my AMEX cards past July since they will be earning so much less. This makes me want to stretch the SPG/Marriott points I have even more. I booked London last night at SPG for a five night stay next year just to hold it at the current rate with the fifth night free offer (the hotel is going from 35,000 to 50,000 points per night in August, and is currently just 9,600 SPs per night for five nights (equivalent to 144,000 Marriott points now or 200,000 in Aug). I’m sure there are other similar good deals out there.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/pref...ptions.html#travelNightsAndFlights?terms=true

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If Vistana Owners could get the MVC 5 night package it would be a lot more useful.

Last year, we got a 7 night package to get the SWA companion pass (expired offer). I agree that 7 nights is way too long to spend in a hotel. We had a hard time using it and MVC was generally not available for reward stays. We finally used it on a 5 day trip (let the last two nights lapse) to Park City in a hotel room where we could use the lounge with our Gold status figuring this would give us more space. I got antsy after about 3 nights and we weren't in the room much. I have traveled a lot on business and a standard hotel room with a desk and bed feels more like work than relaxation. Hotels also have thinner walls. It did have a coin op washer and the staff was nice.

The only time we need 7 nights is in Hawaii, but then we need a 2 bedroom for my family.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
attached are the Marriott reward points required for the Vistana resorts, i have ranked them by number of points and by the change in number of points. Interesting to note, Orlando resorts got very nice increases while Ka'anapali and Lagunamar need less points.
The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas has the largest increase, 24k points

Attachments

• Vistana resorts Marriott reward points.pdf
    37.2 KB · Views: 159

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
It's interesting to see that The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas is a Cat 6 while The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas is a Cat 7. That relationship seems a little off.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
For those also interested in the travel packages, I’ve found references on other sites that explain the current five night package is available to every Marriott Rewards account, not just timeshare customers. It’s not on the Marriott website but if you call they will apparently offer it to you. I hope this continues past Aug, as seven nights is just too much.

I’m considering a five night at a Marriott property in Berlin for next year and thinking about moving SPs now to get the five night travel package. At the same time I’m not sure I want to do so, since I have enough airline miles for the next couple of years already and I suspect keeping the points for hotel stays will ultimately be more valuable, even though the bonus with the package is nice.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland

We are doing our 7 nights in a residence inn which helps it not be too much but even with that I know what you mesn

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Strange that they don't differentiate between the Westin Ka'anapali South and North Properties. If you are in the south property you could have a high chance of a parking lot view for a reward stay.

re: 5 nights for all, I read somewhere they closed that loophole. I HUCAed several times and was not offered it.

Hope they extend it to Vistana owners with the ILG merger.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
attached are the Marriott reward points required for the Vistana resorts, i have ranked them by number of points and by the change in number of points. Interesting to note, Orlando resorts got very nice increases while Ka'anapali and Lagunamar need less points.
Surprised that the Orlando properties are increasing so much. Of course, at SVV there is no true studio like you would get if booking one of the Marriott timeshare properties.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Strange that they don't differentiate between the Westin Ka'anapali South and North Properties.

For the hotel side, Starwood has never differentiated.

If you are in the south property you could have a high chance of a parking lot view for a reward stay.

And from what I understand, that occurs frequently!

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Surprised that the Orlando properties are increasing so much. Of course, at SVV there is no true studio like you would get if booking one of the Marriott timeshare properties.

Yes that's surprising to me as well, and new cat 6 as well
Well good to see that SDO is 35K pts and cat 5. Maybe I'll use my Marriott CC free night on that one.

blondietink

Reaction score
Is there any indication if they have moved the redemption levels for the one free night per year from the Marriott rewards card? I think it is currently categories 1-4.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any indication if they have moved the redemption levels for the one free night per year from the Marriott rewards card? I think it is currently categories 1-4.
It is going to be 35K certificate per year, for the new Marriott Visa Premier card. If you keep the old one, it remains at 25K.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It is going to be 35K certificate per year, for the new Marriott Visa Premier card. If you keep the old one, it remains at 25K.

SPG (Marriott) AMEX is also 35k.

blondietink

Reaction score

We just upgraded to the new Premier card.

robkell

TUG Member
Reaction score

HRA is no longer listed on the MArriott website & I do not see it listed in the new participating hotel list.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
HRA is no longer listed on the MArriott website & I do not see it listed in the new participating hotel list.

Was it ever listed at SPG? I don’t think so... it’s marketed at the Atlantis site.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the new updates and chart information.

Last edited: