• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DC Waitlist success?

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Called at 9am 13 months out to try to get into Marbella or Andaluzza--nothing.
Anyone successful on wait list?
Own FC and did the MVC for Spain--had hoped this would be a 70th birthday family reunion.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
From various TUGger postings, It seems that DC waitlist success is very high. That said, I would assume that July/Aug usage at the Spain resorts is very high with Euro holiday months running in July and Aug for various countries.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Assuming you are booking with DC Points. Generally it’s better to book tough-to-get reservations online right at 9:00:01 Eastern instead of calling on the phone. By the time you go through the voice-prompt menus and get a person to talk to, the online users have snapped up the limited inventory. Online gives you the best chance.

More points inventory will likely be released at the 12 month point, (they hold back about 50% for 12 months, I believe) so I would try online then - right at 9:00:01. Log on before 9am and hit refresh as the digital clock hits 9:00:00. Maybe even start a little before and keep hitting refresh until the availability opens up.

Inventory in Spain is probably limited since those weeks can’t be owned by the MVC Trust, so you are dependent on enrolled owners electing their weeks for points to seed the inventory into the points system.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Inventory in Spain is probably limited since those weeks can’t be owned by the MVC Trust, so you are dependent on enrolled owners electing their weeks for points to seed the inventory into the points system.
For the OP, in addition to enrolled weeks turned in for points, MVC can also access Interval International as another source to fill a waitlist request if you are unsuccessful in nabbing one at the 12 month mark.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
For the OP, in addition to enrolled weeks turned in for points, MVC can also access Interval International as another source to fill a waitlist request if you are unsuccessful in nabbing one at the 12 month mark.
How do we believe that works?
What would MVC reasonably trade with Interval to get the Spanish Week that an Owner wants to book with Points?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used a waitlist to get into Spain (Andaluza) this year. Last year, points showed 0 availability. Called to get on a waitlist, and, they gave me like a 95%+ chance it would be fulfilled. They gave an explanation for Andaluza (and it really sounded like it was probably true) and said inventory frees up later on those resorts. And it did, just as they predicted. So, I got my confirmation 5 months before the trip. I honestly suspect the chance was more like 99% (they didn't want to over promise), and, I checked a few months before the trip and it was available online even. I just don't recall why that is there. I know there's a lot of renting going on there, and, I suspect as people get close to their occupy date, they may give up, not sure. But that's just my guess.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Called at 9am 13 months out to try to get into Marbella or Andaluzza--nothing.
Anyone successful on wait list?
Own FC and did the MVC for Spain--had hoped this would be a 70th birthday family reunion.

I’ll start out by saying that I have very little experience with this- just did it once- so my situation may not be typical and some of you more experienced members may know why this is a bad idea.

Last year for Presidents’ Day week I pieced together a week at Crystal Shores using points by taking individual nights as they became available. I made sure they were always the same view and I reserved the whole week on Marriott.com so I had nights in case it didn’t work out. But it did! I didn’t start piecing until right around Christmas- I was on the wait list since August due to a last minute need to change plans. As I booked he nights they showed up on my Marriott account reservations and when I finished I chatted on Marriott.com and had them consolidated into 1 reservation.

I’m in the process of doing the same for this year- only 2 more nights to go so I’m very hopeful.
I was surprised to see the nights come available when I was on the waitlist but a rep told me the whole week needs to come up for it to match. And of course one of the advantages of points is you don’t have to book a full week so it seems to make sense to search single nights.

Good luck.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I used a waitlist to get into Spain (Andaluza) this year. Last year, points showed 0 availability. Called to get on a waitlist, and, they gave me like a 95%+ chance it would be fulfilled. They gave an explanation for Andaluza (and it really sounded like it was probably true) and said inventory frees up later on those resorts. And it did, just as they predicted. So, I got my confirmation 5 months before the trip. I honestly suspect the chance was more like 99% (they didn't want to over promise), and, I checked a few months before the trip and it was available online even. I just don't recall why that is there. I know there's a lot of renting going on there, and, I suspect as people get close to their occupy date, they may give up, not sure. But that's just my guess.
Assuming you are talking about your May Playa trip in your sig line, your confirmation 5 months out filling your wait list did not likely come from an enrolled week owner converting to points. The latest a person can convert a week is Oct 31 of the prior year, and it sounds like your week became available around Dec/Jan, so its more likely your week came from some other bucket, perhaps via an Interval swap or somebody turning their week in for MR points or something like that.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
How do we believe that works?
What would MVC reasonably trade with Interval to get the Spanish Week that an Owner wants to book with Points?
I believe they can likely swap for any similar TDI week to the one they are seeking to use to fill a DC waitlist need.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Assuming you are talking about your May Playa trip in your sig line, your confirmation 5 months out filling your wait list did not likely come from an enrolled week owner converting to points. The latest a person can convert a week is Oct 31 of the prior year, and it sounds like your week became available around Dec/Jan, so its more likely your week came from some other bucket, perhaps via an Interval swap or somebody turning their week in for MR points or something like that.

Yes, I was suggesting they gave up on renting as someone at the resort told me they is a huge number of renters there. The closer it comes to their rental occupy date, the more scared they will not rent. Which *could* be why there were so many weeks near the time of my stay when I looked. Juast a theory, as you say, they could swap (but doubt that many would), etc.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
thanks all--I wasn't aware it could be done online--I always do this with Vistana and 12:01am since their inventory comes on at midnight==by the morning units are usually gone

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waitlist, who knew there was a waitlist? Since when?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Waitlist, who knew there was a waitlist? Since when?

Since the day the DC was introduced. Related info from the TUG DC FAQ:

"~~ Reservation Windows ~~

12 months
  • All Members requesting Waitlist reservations of seven nights or more, subject to all other applicable Reservation Windows rules
10 months
  • All Members requesting Waitlist reservations of less than seven nights, subject to all other applicable Reservation Window rules"
and,

~~ MVCD Points Usage / Miscellaneous ~~

Waitlist Requests
- If a desired interval is not available Members may place Waitlist Request(s) providing that the Member has the required DC Points in his/her account for the interval(s) and providing that the applicable Reservation Window(s) are in effect.

• Marriott may cancel any pending Waitlist Request(s) if any dues or fees are more than ten days delinquent.
  • Marriott may limit the number of Waitlist Request(s) that will be accepted for any certain interval.
  • Confirmed Waitlist Request(s) may be cancelled within 48-hours of the Member being notified of the confirmation.
*Borrowed Points may be used for a Waitlist Request; in the event that the request is not confirmed, such Points will be returned to the Use Year from which they were borrowed. See this TUG thread: DC Waitlist and Borrowed Points [Marriott koolina points question]"

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sue,

Well today has not been a wasted day. I learned something new.

I always thought DVC was much better than MVCI in that regard. I thought that Marriott did not have any waitlisting options. I see I was wrong.

As a Chairman's Club owner do I get any Waitlist perks? I have a lot of points banked.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not aware of any. Just put in your request if there is something you want that you can't get into via your points. The further in advance, the better of course. I tried it (once), it worked.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Thanks Sue,

I always thought DVC was much better than MVCI in that regard. I thought that Marriott did not have any waitlisting options. I see I was wrong.

As a Chairman's Club owner do I get any Waitlist perks? I have a lot of points banked.

I don't think so, not anything more than the other "Reservation Windows" advantages that come with Chairman's Club status.

I haven't used the Waitlist since the new website but I think you still have to phone in to put in a request, because I just tried a couple different phantom searches and was unable to bring up a Waitlist field for dates that show as unavailable. If you put in a request, though, you'll be able to see all the details in your account: click on "Use Points" --> then "Points Transaction History" under "Manage" in the pop-up box --> then scroll all the way to the bottom to "Wait List Pending Transactions."

I think I remember using the Waitlist once during the first year of the DC and got what I wanted about seven months before check-in? Not sure I remember all the details correctly but I do remember meeting with success. Over the years there have been quite a few reports to TUG from others who've had the same experience.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can’t believe I overlooked this perk. Thanks for your helpful replies.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sue,

It's different than DVC, some advantages to each system. With DVC you can only have 2 and different views/booking types count individually but you don't use your points until you match and you have the home resort priority. With MVC you are competing against all other enrolled/trust members from the get go. They do limit the number of wait lists for each check in day but I don't know how much volume they allow or how they determine them. They do tie up your points at the time you place the wait list. You can have as many as you want otherwise but you'd need points to reserve each one which is obviously limiting. I've used it quite a bit. Got Grande Ocean OF this past 4th of July and totally worked the wait list to get into a 2 BR Maui OF in newer towers 6 years ago. Started out with a studio and separate 1 BR different views (one OS, one garden view) then got a 2 BR OS then a 2 BR OF. Then when done rearranged the points to make sure I was using the least valuable points first. I've used it for Aruba as well but did have one there that didn't match. If you get on the list then the chances of success are good for the first 3/4 of the year since enrolled members have time to elect points as late as the end of Oct depending on their level.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's different than DVC, some advantages to each system. With DVC you can only have 2 and different views/booking types count individually but you don't use your points until you match and you have the home resort priority. With MVC you are competing against all other enrolled/trust members from the get go. They do limit the number of wait lists for each check in day but I don't know how much volume they allow or how they determine them. They do tie up your points at the time you place the wait list. You can have as many as you want otherwise but you'd need points to reserve each one which is obviously limiting. I've used it quite a bit. Got Grande Ocean OF this past 4th of July and totally worked the wait list to get into a 2 BR Maui OF in newer towers 6 years ago. Started out with a studio and separate 1 BR different views (one OS, one garden view) then got a 2 BR OS then a 2 BR OF. Then when done rearranged the points to make sure I was using the least valuable points first. I've used it for Aruba as well but did have one there that didn't match. If you get on the list then the chances of success are good for the first 3/4 of the year since enrolled members have time to elect points as late as the end of Oct depending on their level.
Thanks for that great summation Dean. My question to you is why accept a studio and a one bedroom with different views. Did you do that just in case you didn’t get the two bedroom OF?
Did you have to have enough points in your account to cover all three reservations at one time. With DVC they will cancel the just in case reservation and replace it with your new waitlisted reservation. If member services didn’t do that you might not have enough points for the new waitlisted vacation.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that great summation Dean. My question to you is why accept a studio and a one bedroom with different views. Did you do that just in case you didn’t get the two bedroom OF?
Did you have to have enough points in your account to cover all three reservations at one time. With DVC they will cancel the just in case reservation and replace it with your new waitlisted reservation. If member services didn’t do that you might not have enough points for the new waitlisted vacation.
I needed the room to cover a group, it really wouldn’t have been horrible if I couldn’t have gotten anything else. Yes I did have sufficient point to cover both even if I could not have changed around but the substitution of points didn’t affect that since you have to have enough points for the reservation AND the wait list, which is how I think DVC should do as well.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Just received notification that our wait list request was granted for Easter week at Lakeshore Reserve (I had Sabal as a backup...). :banana:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Just received notification that our wait list request was granted for Easter week at Lakeshore Reserve (I had Sabal as a backup...). :banana:
Nice....Congrats!!!