• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kamaaina Rates

jcjohns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
I've read that it's possible to bring your Hawaii timeshare deed to the DMV in Kona and you can get a resdient card that will get you te local rates at the golf courses. Anyone try this? Technically you own property in HI.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Not sure where you heard that. When I did some checking you need a Hawaii state id. This is what is required to get one:

Before heading out to the Kona Driver Licensing Office, be sure to bring the following documents:

• Legal Name (birth certificate, US passport, marriage certificate)
  • Date of Birth (birth certificate, US passport, driver license)
  • Legal Presence that prove you are legally in the US (birth certificate, US passport)
  • Social Security Number (Social Security Card, W-2, 1099 Form)
  • Hawaii Principal Residence (2 documents required: voter registration card, pay statement, utility bill, bank statement)

https://www.hawaiilife.com/blog/what-are-kamaaina-discounts/

And in doing more checking it looks like there may be people who have gotten an id card with a deed, but they did need other info as well. You can read a discussion about that here (note this discussion was from 2005, things may have changed):

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...re_owners_inside_information-Maui_Hawaii.html

And this from 2013. Looks like what might trip you up is the requirement for two documents showing residence (this is from the official Department of Transportation website):

OBTAINING A HAWAII STATE IDENTIFICATION CARD
UNDER HAWAII’S DOCUMENTARY PROOF REQUIREMENTS

Beginning January 2, 2013, each individual applying for an initial Hawaii State Identification Card will be required to provide documentary proof of:

• Legal name and date of birth
  • Legal Presence
  • Social Security Number
  • Proof of Principal Residence (Two documents required)
Bottom line, I guess you could go to the DMV with all of the required documentation, but only one proof of principal residence, and see what happens.

Last edited:

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know people who have done it. I'm not going to list how here because it seems like skirting the intent of the rules, but frankly it is easy to get if you know someone who lives in Hawaii.

You should go to the list on the hawaii government website to see all of the qualifying documents to prove residence. The reference Luanne posted is not complete:

https://www.honolulu.gov/cms-csd-menu/site-csd-sitearticles/6439-state-id-info-and-requirements.html

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've read that it's possible to bring your Hawaii timeshare deed to the DMV in Kona and you can get a resdient card that will get you te local rates at the golf courses. Anyone try this? Technically you own property in HI.
To specifically answer your question, timeshare deed alone is not enough. See docs link I posted above.

jcjohns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
Not sure where you heard that. When I did some checking you need a Hawaii state id. This is what is required to get one:

Before heading out to the Kona Driver Licensing Office, be sure to bring the following documents:

• Legal Name (birth certificate, US passport, marriage certificate)
  • Date of Birth (birth certificate, US passport, driver license)
  • Legal Presence that prove you are legally in the US (birth certificate, US passport)
  • Social Security Number (Social Security Card, W-2, 1099 Form)
  • Hawaii Principal Residence (2 documents required: voter registration card, pay statement, utility bill, bank statement)

https://www.hawaiilife.com/blog/what-are-kamaaina-discounts/

And in doing more checking it looks like there may be people who have gotten an id card with a deed, but they did need other info as well. You can read a discussion about that here (note this discussion was from 2005, things may have changed):

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...re_owners_inside_information-Maui_Hawaii.html

And this from 2013. Looks like what might trip you up is the requirement for two documents showing residence (this is from the official Department of Transportation website):

OBTAINING A HAWAII STATE IDENTIFICATION CARD
UNDER HAWAII’S DOCUMENTARY PROOF REQUIREMENTS

Beginning January 2, 2013, each individual applying for an initial Hawaii State Identification Card will be required to provide documentary proof of:

• Legal name and date of birth
  • Legal Presence
  • Social Security Number
  • Proof of Principal Residence (Two documents required)
Bottom line, I guess you could go to the DMV with all of the required documentation, but only one proof of principal residence, and see what happens.
Thanks.

jcjohns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
I know people who have done it. I'm not going to list how here because it seems like skirting the intent of the rules, but frankly it is easy to get if you know someone who lives in Hawaii.

You should go to the list on the hawaii government website to see all of the qualifying documents to prove residence. The reference Luanne posted is not complete:

https://www.honolulu.gov/cms-csd-menu/site-csd-sitearticles/6439-state-id-info-and-requirements.html

Ryan

Thanks. I have a good friend who lives in HI. Maybe I'll use their address.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
After we purchased our initial home here in Hawaii in 2001, we were still living in NY and had to provide quite a bit of documentation before getting our Hawaii State ID. It took at least two hours and we had an appointment. We did have to 'prove' that we owned a home here and show utility bills as well as house deed/property tax info. After we finally moved here permanently in 2006, we applied for our Hawaii Drivers Licences.

You will need 'original' documents and not copies of birth, marriage certificate and SS Card. It does look as if you need to be a time-share owner for a period of 6 months in order to qualify based on the DOT requirements:

Current property tax assessment form
Receipt for personal property taxes paid
Residential rental or time-share agreement for six months or more

Last edited: