• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2015 ] Just purchased Wyndham Timeshare - Need to Rescind

zman0728

Reaction score
I just purchased a timeshare through Wyndham Vacation Resorts on Sunday 2-22-2015. I woke up on Monday and decided to do research and realized I was out of my mind for doing this. There is a 5 day period per my contract that allows me to cancel. It says this:

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL THE CONTRACT WITHIN FIVE (5) DAYS AFTER THE DATE OF THE CONTRACT. CANCELLATION MUST BE IN WRITING AND IF SENT BY MAIL, ADDRESSED TO SELLER, ATTENTION: ACCOUNT CONTROLS AND ADMINISTRATION-RESCISSION DEPARTMENT AT 10750 WEST CHARLESTON BOULEVARD, SUITE 130, LAS VEGAS, NEVADA 89135; OR P.O. BOX 94443, LAS VEGAS, NEVADA 89193. CANCELLATION WILL BE ACCOMPLISHED AT THE MOMENT THE LETTER IS POSTMARKED. IF SENT BY MAIL, THE LETTER MAY BE CERTIFIED WITH A RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED. YOUR RIGHT TO CANCEL CANNOT BE WAIVED.

I sent my letter yesterday 2-23-2015 to the P.O. Box address via USPS Priority mail express with a return receipt requested. They said express is considered certified mail. I kept my receipt and a copy of the shipment (postmarked 2-23-2015).

My signed letter was as followed:

My Name
Address
Phone #
Email

Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc
Account Controls and Administration-Rescission Department
P.O. Box 94443
Las Vegas, Nevada 89193

February 23, 2015

Attention Customer Service,

The purpose of this letter is regarding the required cancellation of my timeshare contract. My name is (My Name) and I purchased a timeshare with Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc on February 22, 2015. Per the contract regarding this timeshare, I am contacting you within the rescission period in order to cancel this timeshare contract.

I wish to cancel this agreement immediately, Contract Number: xxxxx-xxxxxxx, dated February 22, 2015. Please provide me with a written response showing you have received this letter within the rescission period. Additionally, please inform me if any additional information is needed.

Timeshare: Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc
Owner: My Name
Contract Number: xxxxx-xxxxxxx
Member Number: xxxxxxxxxxx
Date of Purchase: February 22, 2015

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

**My Name

I met all of the requirements they said in the contract. I guess I just sit and wait now? Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks.

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!

It looks like you have followed the instructions well. I trust others will review your post as well, because the more eyes that review, the more secure you can be that any potential errors have been discovered.

I am glad that you realized that you made an error in time to correct it. It appears that you are very thorough, and disciplined. The impulse to purchase a timeshare was not at all insane, what was not in your best interests was contracting to buy the timeshare you did from the developer. You may want to continue looking at the myriad of no/low upfront cost options out there to enjoy the Wyndham system. I am also glad that you have discovered and/or reached out to this online community. There is great information available here for free!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
two in one day, congratulations on finding us in time! welcome to TUG!

zman0728

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I need to call the Wyndham Consumer Finance tomorrow and cancel automatic payments and the card as a whole. I'm not sure if they will cancel the card until the cancellation is in process??

I didn't pay any money out of pocket up front due to credit check. They charged my down payment directly to the new Wyndham Visa.

Any advice on this?

Thanks.

zman0728

Reaction score
I called Wyndham corporate and they have verified that the cancellation of my purchase is in process!!! I also called and effective today closed down the credit card!!

Thankfully I woke up Monday and decided to go with this decision. Thanks TUG for the very very helpful information and advice!

Regards.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now WHAT are you going to do?

Wyndham is a great product esp if you buy it resale ...

Researching?

Start by reading the TUG Wyndham Primer....

zman0728

Reaction score
Exactly. The research I have done in just the past few days has told me to go to the resale side of it.

I'm not saying it isn't a great product...it just all depends on the way you purchase it.

Thanks

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in the Northeastern US ... I can drive 10+ hours to many Wyndham resorts. I fly down to the South Florida resorts in the winter ... okay, I just have a bunch of winter weeks booked and I dream of where I could be.

What would you do if you brought 406,000 Wyndham vacation points? (about $220 MF monthly)....

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does it feel to have saved yourself tens of thousands of dollars? If you didn't already you should spend $15 and join TUG. Always buy resell, never buy from a timeshare developer sales weasel...

I'm just curious - what did you buy the Wyndham sales weasel? How many points and where were you when you bought it?

zman0728

Reaction score
I was in Chicago and I only purchased 84,000 pts, but did the research and realized that was way too much, along with all of the additional charges for what I could potentially get resale. The actual timeshare was located in Branson, MO because it was lower cost/1000 pts, and that fit in my budget according to them.

I will definitely look into resale at some point.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Read the Primer ... I originally brought most of my contracts for ARP ... then I added a few contracts for real low MF costs YOU want to go.

Chicago is a new & a city resort ... might need a LOT of points to stay there.

Atlantic City is an older resort - would cost way fewer points to stay there.

NomadCS

Reaction score
Just purchased Wyndham

You were right to rescind, but not for the reason that you think. You were right to rescind because you did not fully understand what you were buying and its value to you.

I exercised my right to rescind my first Wyndham (formally Fairfield) purchase 20 years ago. I went on to purchase a substantial amount of points directly from Wyndham as well as some points through the secondary market. I also purchased Marriott directly from the developer.

I am satisfied with all of my purchases because I understood that what I was buying met my needs.

The issue boils down to whether there is a resort that you wish to visit year after year during peak season. If you own your time share at that particular resort you are likely to be able to book your reservation a few months earlier than others who purchased ownership from your developer but their ownership is not at that particular resort. Wyndham refers to this as ARP (Advance Reservation Priority). So if you buy Wyndham points in the secondary market, you may be able to make a reservation 10 months out, but by that time most of the most desireable weeks have already been booked by those holding a reservation priority.

Twenty years ago my family was visiting Myrtle Beach during the peak season year after year. I rented beachfront condos at a considerable yearly cost. Then Wyndham built a place near where I rented. It was cheaper for me to buy retail time shares then to rent. I could not have gotten the same time share property on the resale market. Buying points on the secondary market would not have gotten me into the oceanfront Myrtle Beach property because of the ARP rules.

I am retired now and my wife and I like to stay at Wyndham Royal Vista (Pompano Fl) in the winter. With rare exceptions only Royal Vista owners who make their reservations exactly 13 months in advance get to book an oceanfront unit. Wyndham owners holding points at other resorts are out of luck. Royal Vista rarely appears on the resale market. So my wife and I own there.

A few years ago some Royal Vista owners traded their Royal Vista ownership back to Wyndham to obtain points in a separate trust program that allowed them a limited 13 month priority in other resorts (limited by the amount of times shares held in the trust). These owners were no longer able to book Royal Vista 13 months in advance because there was so little Royal Vista intentory held by the trust.

To sum up, you must fully understand what your needs are (factoring in whether your needs may change). If time share purchased on the secondary market meets that need then go for it. But if the product that meets your needs is not available on the secondary market, buying retail from the developer is worth considering. In my case, it was far cheaper than renting oceanfront condos year after year.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Buying points on the secondary market would not have gotten me into the oceanfront Myrtle Beach property because of the ARP rules.

To clarify, somebody who buys a Myrtle Beach property on the secondary market, i.e. resale, has exactly the same ability to make an ARP 13-month priority booking in Myrtle Beach as somebody who paid Wyndham its developer price to own there.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few years ago some Royal Vista owners traded their Royal Vista ownership back to Wyndham to obtain points in a separate trust program that allowed them a limited 13 month priority in other resorts (limited by the amount of times shares held in the trust). These owners were no longer able to book Royal Vista 13 months in advance because there was so little Royal Vista inventory held by the trust.

There is NO Royal Vista inventory in the CWA trust. Most points in CWA for both Sea Gardens and Santa Barbara are converted FIXED WEEKS ... where the underlying unit and week in what is in CWA and limits the CWA Trust to THAT SPECFIC inventory.

You want ARP? Go hunting for Royal Vista or Fixed Weeks .... I have both.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
To clarify, somebody who buys a Myrtle Beach property on the secondary market, i.e. resale, has exactly the same ability to make an ARP 13-month priority booking in Myrtle Beach as somebody who paid Wyndham its developer price to own there.

AGREED .. except Myrtle Beach ARP for (non-fixed weeks -- UDI points) is regional. Seawatch is VERY hard to book as it takes the fewest points to book a unit during the summer. Most of Westwinds is fixed week or converted fixed weeks.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
great title and one many other may find when they wake up and figure out they got a bum deal from the developer.

Sad thing is during the time you got your week 2-4 others did the same thing and went on about there business only checking out the deal weeks later and realize they are are SCREWED for the next 5 plus years with a month payment on something that can be bought for less than 2K most places..

good job :cheer: Now read and learn how not to make the same mistake and let your friends know as well..

She'Nice

Reaction score
Congratulations!

It looks like you have followed the instructions well. I trust others will review your post as well, because the more eyes that review, the more secure you can be that any potential errors have been discovered.

I am glad that you realized that you made an error in time to correct it. It appears that you are very thorough, and disciplined. The impulse to purchase a timeshare was not at all insane, what was not in your best interests was contracting to buy the timeshare you did from the developer. You may want to continue looking at the myriad of no/low upfront cost options out there to enjoy the Wyndham system. I am also glad that you have discovered and/or reached out to this online community. There is great information available here for free!

I purchased a Wyndham timeshare on june 13th 2018 and we was okey doked to believe this and that till we tried to book a trip for next year we got so many stop signs we wasnt equipped with our information (membership number, contract number) so we had to make a couple of calls set up countless of username and passwords because you are not just dealing with Wyndham but anyways we see the trip we made clear we would like to go is nowhere on the website so we had to call and talk n get hung up on be put on hold and transferred just to say you got to wait 5 more days to receive another member number to take trips wit rci okay we had enough now we never received paper copies and everything was downloaded to this kindle so when we go to the kindle we realize everything is on there but our contract no contract emailed to us or anything so we decided on june 20th we would like to cancel we reside in texas and because we have no contract or any information about anything they say it came a day to late but I questioned does it mean 5 calendar days or 5 weekdays. The representative from owner care have no clue and needs the contract and so do we so we gt a case number today if anybody know of a way to get out of this 54,000 dollar contract that isn't doing nothing but frustrating us because like I said we got okey doked we was on vacation hadn't had one in years we went on a outing got signed up for a 2 hour presentation that started at 2p.m. and we didn't leave till 8 p.m. smh. We see the error of our ways we need help...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
First- WHERE did you buy? That's what determines how long you have to rescind. Usually it's calendar days- starting the day AFTER you sign the contract.

Second- if you purchased on the 13th, and today is the 25th, it's probably too late anyway. I'd still send a rescission letter, stating that you weren't informed of the contract number OR the ability to cancel the contract and that it was buried in the Kindle in such a way that you couldn't retrieve it.

Maybe it isn't to you, but $54,000 is a lot of money to me, and I would have been damn sure I REALLY WANTED this purchase while I had the opportunity to cancel it. I assume you are over 21 and there is no reason you are not legally able to sign a contract. If true, you very well MAY be a brand new timeshare owner with hefty monthly payments.

You might just not pay, but then they will turn you over to collection and you'll get all kinds of ugly letters and calls threatening legal action an ruination of credit. It's up to you.

Good Luck. If it's any consolation, most TUGgers did exactly what you did. Bought from the developer, then found out about rescission after it was too late to cancel. You're in good company.

Jim

She'Nice

Reaction score
First- WHERE did you buy? That's what determines how long you have to rescind. Usually it's calendar days- starting the day AFTER you sign the contract.

Second- if you purchased on the 13th, and today is the 25th, it's probably too late anyway. I'd still send a rescission letter, stating that you weren't informed of the contract number OR the ability to cancel the contract and that it was buried in the Kindle in such a way that you couldn't retrieve it.

Maybe it isn't to you, but $54,000 is a lot of money to me, and I would have been damn sure I REALLY WANTED this purchase while I had the opportunity to cancel it. I assume you are over 21 and there is no reason you are not legally able to sign a contract. If true, you very well MAY be a brand new timeshare owner with hefty monthly payments.

You might just not pay, but then they will turn you over to collection and you'll get all kinds of ugly letters and calls threatening legal action an ruination of credit. It's up to you.

Good Luck. If it's any consolation, most TUGgers did exactly what you did. Bought from the developer, then found out about rescission after it was too late to cancel. You're in good company.

Jim

Thanks Jim I purchased in texas but they recieved my recission letter on the 20th. I read that talking to HOA and reselling the deed could help i just dont know just in over my head.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim I purchased in texas but they recieved my recission letter on the 20th. I read that talking to HOA and reselling the deed could help i just dont know just in over my head.
When did you MAIL your rescission letter? That's the important date. Not when they receive it. Do you have a postal receipt showing when it was mailed? So if you bought on the 13th, the 5th day- by which you had to send the rescission letter was Monday the 18th. If you have proof it was mailed by then, you're golden. I don't know where you read about re-selling the deed. It wasn't on TUG. No sane person would buy a deed that is not owned free and clear by the seller.

Yes, you're in a little deep, but if you can show that the rescission letter was mailed by the 18th, you have no worries. It will be cancelled, and you will get back everything you paid.

Jim

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
fingers crossed they process your rescission!

id keep pushing them to do so...dont let up if they say no at first! you are talking about 54,000 dollars!!!

She'Nice

Reaction score
When did you MAIL your rescission letter? That's the important date. Not when they receive it. Do you have a postal receipt showing when it was mailed? So if you bought on the 13th, the 5th day- by which you had to send the rescission letter was Monday the 18th. If you have proof it was mailed by then, you're golden. I don't know where you read about re-selling the deed. It wasn't on TUG. No sane person would buy a deed that is not owned free and clear by the seller.

Yes, you're in a little deep, but if you can show that the rescission letter was mailed by the 18th, you have no worries. It will be cancelled, and you will get back everything you paid.

Jim
No it was the beginning of our vacation when we got made a fool of smh. But we sent the letter on the 20th when we made it home. We called and talk to a couple of people letting them know we weren't informed about a recission time or date which is true n we never received a copy of the contract. N it states that as long as we send a recission letter before the 6th day after the purchaser signs and receives a copy of the purchase agreement or receives the required timeshare public offering statement whichever is later, so doesn't that mean since we did not receive a copy of the agreement that it hasn't officially start yet?

Hairgirl

Reaction score
I just purchased a timeshare through Wyndham Vacation Resorts on Sunday 2-22-2015. I woke up on Monday and decided to do research and realized I was out of my mind for doing this. There is a 5 day period per my contract that allows me to cancel. It says this:

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL THE CONTRACT WITHIN FIVE (5) DAYS AFTER THE DATE OF THE CONTRACT. CANCELLATION MUST BE IN WRITING AND IF SENT BY MAIL, ADDRESSED TO SELLER, ATTENTION: ACCOUNT CONTROLS AND ADMINISTRATION-RESCISSION DEPARTMENT AT 10750 WEST CHARLESTON BOULEVARD, SUITE 130, LAS VEGAS, NEVADA 89135; OR P.O. BOX 94443, LAS VEGAS, NEVADA 89193. CANCELLATION WILL BE ACCOMPLISHED AT THE MOMENT THE LETTER IS POSTMARKED. IF SENT BY MAIL, THE LETTER MAY BE CERTIFIED WITH A RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED. YOUR RIGHT TO CANCEL CANNOT BE WAIVED.

I sent my letter yesterday 2-23-2015 to the P.O. Box address via USPS Priority mail express with a return receipt requested. They said express is considered certified mail. I kept my receipt and a copy of the shipment (postmarked 2-23-2015).

My signed letter was as followed:

My Name
Address
Phone #
Email

Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc
Account Controls and Administration-Rescission Department
P.O. Box 94443
Las Vegas, Nevada 89193

February 23, 2015

Attention Customer Service,

The purpose of this letter is regarding the required cancellation of my timeshare contract. My name is (My Name) and I purchased a timeshare with Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc on February 22, 2015. Per the contract regarding this timeshare, I am contacting you within the rescission period in order to cancel this timeshare contract.

I wish to cancel this agreement immediately, Contract Number: xxxxx-xxxxxxx, dated February 22, 2015. Please provide me with a written response showing you have received this letter within the rescission period. Additionally, please inform me if any additional information is needed.

Timeshare: Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc
Owner: My Name
Contract Number: xxxxx-xxxxxxx
Member Number: xxxxxxxxxxx
Date of Purchase: February 22, 2015

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

**My Name

I met all of the requirements they said in the contract. I guess I just sit and wait now? Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks.

Thank you for posting this, my husband and I are on our 10 yr anniversary and got asked to do a presentation. And was offered a larger gift card then the other people that said no. We should have kept walking. That’s right we are suckers ! We had a private talk about saying no and they kept throwing extras in for extra certificates and what not in. We said we had to go and talk about it come back tom and they brought in a second person and threw more extras at us . That’s when my husband said ok let’s do it. Once we left I had a bad feeling almost sick to my stomach that we should have just kept walking bc besides the monthly payment you also have other fees and we would never pay it off it seems like. We do 1 -3 nights maybe a yr, have kids and dogs at home, self employed and like quick get always. We don’t travel much and that’s when it hit me we are paying for something we most likely won’t use. So I got on google to see reviews and saw this. And a lot more! Pretty much got pressured into doing it. So I went through all paperwork and saw we have 5 days! I got that paper out and letter wrote and in mail tom first thing in am!! Your post is a life saver!! Thank you!! Knowing we are not alone and there were others in same boat!! Now with the kindle fire as a gift do we send it back or keep it??

Hairgirl

Reaction score
Im not giving up i cant afford to give up...
Same here but we are still in our 5 day window we just signed today. I’m def getting post mark receipt when I send it off! Gl to you! Hopefully you find a way out. It’s like they push it on you and can’t say no!