• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

drive ourselves to Hana or a tour?

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Thoughts? We had planned to drive ourselves but now DH is having second thoughts and thought a tour might be much better.

There will be 6 of us and we're not planning to stop and gaze (or even swim) in every waterfall.

taffy19

Reaction score
Thoughts? We had planned to drive ourselves but now DH is having second thoughts and thought a tour might be much better.

There will be 6 of us and we're not planning to stop and gaze (or even swim) in every waterfall.
My husband was the driver for many years to show the beautiful drive through the rain forest to Hana and the Seven Pools to our family and friends but the last two times we went with this tour company.

https://www.tourmaui.com/

He realized then how much he had missed of the scenery because he had to constantly concentrate on the driving. The road is very good but has many sharp bends and one-way bridges.

Both our guides were very good but different in how they presented their beautiful culture and history to us but they were born and raised locally and their family too so had first hand knowledge and that made it even more interesting.

The vans are really comfortable and for only 12 people and we liked everything about the tour and the link will explain the rest.

I know that there are other tours that TUGgers have done and can highly recommend to you too.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have done it both ways. We enjoyed both ways. If you like to control where you stop and how long you stay then drive it. If you want to relax and enjoy the scenery then take a tour.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I followed Emmi’s Advise and took the tour. I know I wouldn’t have seen near as much if I had been driving.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Full disclosure: I haven't taken the tour. We've done the drive a couple of times, both of them using the rental tape (or CD) guide. It was OK to have the narrative, and to be able to stop for as long as you want wherever you want.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We did the drive ourselves a few times. For some reason I personally cannot drive that road, so that puts the burden on dh to do the entire thing. We haven't done it in quite a few years, but would probably do a tour if we did it again.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Full disclosure: I haven't taken the tour. We've done the drive a couple of times, both of them using the rental tape (or CD) guide. It was OK to have the narrative, and to be able to stop for as long as you want wherever you want.

Thanks for sharing. Which CD guide did you get and where did you get it? We will be there this fall and I would like to look into that.

Thanks.

Mike

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We did the Hana Hwy a few times with the rental car and cd bought at the ABC store. If you start early in the morning, meaning passing Baldwin Beach at 6 am, it is a very cool and uncrowded drive. Many of the best attractions are easy to park at early in the morning.

Our last trip was the entire loop. The loop is not as bad as most people claim. It is a one lane road like the loop in West Maui but a bit more scenic, imo.

Bill

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
We used the "Shaka guide Maui" app. Worked great. A little creepy on the first few stops because the narrator gives a strange laugh, but that stops after a few miles.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for sharing. Which CD guide did you get and where did you get it? We will be there this fall and I would like to look into that.

Thanks.

Mike

Mike, we've used the GyPSy Guide (see the 'GPS' in that?) available for your phone, most recently just last month. Download the $6 app, connect your phone via bluetooth to the car, and it puts the tour guide right in the car with you. It's a brilliant app, since they speak content based on your GPS location. Very worthwhile. https://gypsyguide.com/tour/maui/

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mike, we've used the GyPSy Guide (see the 'GPS' in that?) available for your phone, most recently just last month. Download the $6 app, connect your phone via bluetooth to the car, and it puts the tour guide right in the car with you. It's a brilliant app, since they speak content based on your GPS location. Very worthwhile. https://gypsyguide.com/tour/maui/

Dave
TUG comes through EVERY TIME! I'm just soooo last century.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
TUG comes through EVERY TIME! I'm just soooo last century.

I don't know if it's better or worse than a CD or tape, but it's completely portable. The only thing is to be sure you bring a power cord for your phone so it doesn't run out of juice.

A cool feature of the app is that on the way toward Hana, it gives specific places to stop and such, based on location. so he says things like, "If it's before noon, around the next bend is a parking area on the right that is great. If the lot is full, skip it, because there's another scenic spot with a similar view just around the next turn."

On the way back, since you've already heard the scenic stuff, he gives a very interesting narration about the history of the Hawaiian monarchy. Quite informative. :)

Dave

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks all. I will check these out.

Best regards.

Mike

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I don't know if it's better or worse than a CD or tape, but it's completely portable. The only thing is to be sure you bring a power cord for your phone so it doesn't run out of juice.

A cool feature of the app is that on the way toward Hana, it gives specific places to stop and such, based on location. so he says things like, "If it's before noon, around the next bend is a parking area on the right that is great. If the lot is full, skip it, because there's another scenic spot with a similar view just around the next turn."

On the way back, since you've already heard the scenic stuff, he gives a very interesting narration about the history of the Hawaiian monarchy. Quite informative. :)

Dave
Not to hijack this thread, but I've started traveling with a phone power cord, "just in case". I originally bought the adapter (or whatever you call it) to use with my power cord. But when I got a new phone Verizon was having a special on accessories, so I ended up getting a car charger and just put it in the backpack I use for travel. That way it will always be with me.

LUV2TRVL2HI

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have taken the road to Hana tour many times, both driven ourselves and by a tour company. We highly recommend using a tour company. We usually are accompanied by different friends on our visits. During our last time, one of our couples decided to drive the highway themselves, with tour book in hand, because they figured they would be able to stop whenever they wanted and see whatever they wanted; while the other 3 couples decided to take it with a tour company. When they all returned, the couple driving themselves were so disappointed when they heard all the stories and history that the tour guide had presented on the drive -- as well as all the things that were pointed out by the guide that they hadn't read about or seen during their own drive. We just think the local tour guides give it a little something extra.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I ended up getting a car charger and just put it in the backpack I use for travel. That way it will always be with me.

I carry one too. The basic coil-cord cigarette lighter socket kind. Works fine in most cars. I also carry a couple of USB cords so I can have one in the timeshare and one in the car, just in case.

Dave

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
BTW, most rental car companies don't allow you to go all the way to the 7 pools. Why? Our van guide said it is because there is no cell phone coverage at that point or beyond. The roads are not bad (generally) but if you had a problem with a rental car, you may be stranded until someone else drove by.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, most rental car companies don't allow you to go all the way to the 7 pools. Why? Our van guide said it is because there is no cell phone coverage at that point or beyond. The roads are not bad (generally) but if you had a problem with a rental car, you may be stranded until someone else drove by.
I don't think this is accurate, the 7 pools are on a normal road. Much past the 7 pools is a questionable road and it's often reported that it's a violation of the rental car contract but from what I have seen in the past, that's not necessarily so. The rental agreements I've seen in the past prohibited driving on unimproved roads but did not specifically prohibit that section. And since I've driven it personally (never again), it is an improved road just not paved all the way. Now there has been some road damage and repair since I drove it, I'm not sure how it is compared to before.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
The one time we stayed in Maui I drove by myself and had the CD audio guide. It was pleasant - but I was unable to really appreciate the sights as you need to focus 100% on the road. Plus, I was always concerned I would arrive too late/leave too late. So that drive is off my bucket list. I would recommend a tour.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
I think my biggest worry is my kids and needing pit stops? How do they handle bathroom breaks for 12 people?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think my biggest worry is my kids and needing pit stops? How do they handle bathroom breaks for 12 people?

Probably the same way you would handle it if you drive. We say it's THE FIRST RULE OF TRAVEL: Never walk past a bathroom.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

There is a public park with restrooms partway there, a quick side trip to Keanae has more bathrooms, the food trucks at Nahiku Marketplace have bathrooms around back, and the state park just before Hana. There are more. No problem. I'm sure they've had to deal with it before. :)

Dave

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We used the same company Taffy19 linked to and really enjoyed the tour. I would use them again if we decide to do the road to Hana. It was great having someone else drive, so we could both see the sights.

Its been a few years, but i recall they made numerous bathroom stops.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We took the tour, did not want to drive,we had a rental car,so We toured around in it except for Road to Hana.
Loved Maui!

Silentg