• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Molokai and Lanai Tours

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Looking for some recommendations for Tours of these two islands.

I just booked my flights tonight and we had our resort reservations for months already. We’re staying at Maui Schooner from 1-19-19 to 1-26-19 then we go to the Pono Kai for a week. We got good deals on our flights, $850 round trip out of Madison Wisconsin. That’s pretty good for Madison and the times were good too.

We are taking friends with us to Maui and they are already doing a tour for the road to Hana. The day they do that we were thinking of flying to Molokai for a day tour. Then on another day we were thinking of a day tour of Lanai with our friends. For that one we were thinking of taking the ferry and then doing a tour.

Any recommendations on companies you have used in the past and enjoyed. It looks like they have half day and full day tours. I was thinking full day but open to suggestions. We wouldn’t snorkel on these. We will do that at local spots on Maui and one friend will not snorkel but will enjoy some time on the beach. On these tours some walking would be fine but long hikes would be out.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We really enjoyed the Trilogy tour of Lanai. We saw plenty of whales and dolphins while sailing over, and had a local van drive give us a tour of Lanai City.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We really enjoyed the Trilogy tour of Lanai. We saw plenty of whales and dolphins while sailing over, and had a local van drive give us a tour of Lanai City.

Did they leave out of Lahaina?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I don't have a personal recommendation, but for Molokai I would suggest finding a tour that allows you to visit Kaulapapa. We stayed on Molokai and took a "fly in" tour.

Check out this one, they do fly from Maui.

http://www.fatherdamientours.com/

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yes. I took this tour years and years ago before the big hotels were on Lanai. I can't say enough good things about Trilogy. We started off with homemade sweet rolls, snorkeled in the morning, had a bar be que lunch, then in the afternoon we could either tour the island or more snorkeling. We opted for the tour, which was given by people who lived there.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Yes. I should mention that Lanai isn't always good for snorkeling. It was pretty choppy when we went. Not many of the group went in. I did, but choppy water usually means cloudy water, too. Their lunch included BBQ chicken and delicious gecko egg salad (macaroni and peas). Here's some pictures from our 2009 trip:

https://artringwald.smugmug.com/Travel/2009-Lanai/

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you both for your replies. I don’t think we will snorkel on either of these trips. We wants to focus on seeing the islands. These look like good candidates.

Art, your pictures are great!!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thank you both for your replies. I don’t think we will snorkel on either of these trips. We wants to focus on seeing the islands. These look like good candidates.

Art, your pictures are great!!
As I said, I went on the Trilogy trip years ago. I wonder since the big hotels are there now if there might be an option, instead of snorkeling in the morning, to spend some time at one of them.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I also recommend Trilogy for the trip to Lanai. It's slightly more than half a day. Catamaran from Lahaina to Lanai starting with homemade cinnamon rolls and juices. Once on the island you have your choice of an island tour or going directly to the beach. The island tour lasts maybe 30 minutes and after the tour you are taken to the beach. There you can swim, snorkel (equipment provided by Trilogy), play beach volleyball, relax and enjoy chips and homemade salsa. After the beach you go back to the marina where you will enjoy a wok-cooked meal of chicken, noodles and vegetables. Adult beverages will be served on the sail back to Lahaina. www.sailtrilogy.com

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I also recommend Trilogy for the trip to Lanai. It's slightly more than half a day. Catamaran from Lahaina to Lanai starting with homemade cinnamon rolls and juices. Once on the island you have your choice of an island tour or going directly to the beach. The island tour lasts maybe 30 minutes and after the tour you are taken to the beach. There you can swim, snorkel (equipment provided by Trilogy), play beach volleyball, relax and enjoy chips and homemade salsa. After the beach you go back to the marina where you will enjoy a wok-cooked meal of chicken, noodles and vegetables. Adult beverages will be served on the sail back to Lahaina. www.sailtrilogy.com
Sounds like the tours have changed a bit since I took it. Back then I think was just one per day, the one that left at 6:30 a.m. It did start with homemade cinnamon rolls, fruit and juice. Once you got to the island everyone went to snorkel. They had instruction if you wanted/needed it. After snorkeling we went back to the marina for the bar be que lunch. Then after lunch we had the choice of more snorkeling or the island tour. I remember the tour as being more than 30 minutes (but again this was years ago). After returning to the boat we sailed back. We didn't get back until around 4:00 p.m. Now it sounds like you get back much sooner. I also do not remember any adult beverages being served.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We also had the delicious BBQ chickens. Adult beverage was served on the boat from what I remember. The highlight for me was the trip to and from Lanai. We saw so many dolphins and whales. Snorkeling was decent but not great when we went in Feb. Lanai as an island probably is my least favorite among all the Hawaiian islands I have been to, but it was just a 30 min bus tour which only provided a glimpse of the island.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It looks like there are half day tours and full day tours. I’m still looking but all this information is great. Thanks everyone!!

burg1121

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have take the Trilogy to Lanai lots of fun. We just spent a week om Molokai in April. Going to Kaulapapa is a must. It's beautiful and quite moving. Ask for the tour guide with the great singing voice he is amazing.

taffy19

Reaction score
Yes. I should mention that Lanai isn't always good for snorkeling. It was pretty choppy when we went. Not many of the group went in. I did, but choppy water usually means cloudy water, too. Their lunch included BBQ chicken and delicious gecko egg salad (macaroni and peas). Here's some pictures from our 2009 trip:

https://artringwald.smugmug.com/Travel/2009-Lanai/
We enjoyed the Trilogy boat trip very much but were disappointed that we didn’t sail that day but there wasn’t enough wind. You were lucky to experience that. :)

It was difficult to get past the big swell or surge but they helped us getting over that and then snorkeling was easy but not as good as on the Big Island near Captain Cook’s Monument.

The crew was fabulous and had a good time too while they were busy spoiling us with food and drinks. We came back when the sun was setting so had a long enough day.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
On our last Trilogy cruise to Lanai, the crew set a line at the back of the ship. Apparently they do this most of the time. However, this time they caught an Ono. To say the crew was excited would be an understatement. Prior to serving us lunch they offered sashimi to all takers. It was great! Probably the freshest fish I'd ever eaten.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have take the Trilogy to Lanai lots of fun. We just spent a week om Molokai in April. Going to Kaulapapa is a must. It's beautiful and quite moving. Ask for the tour guide with the great singing voice he is amazing.

What was the name of the company for your Kaulapapa tour?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
What was the name of the company for your Kaulapapa tour?
I think there is just one company that does the tours as that is the only way you can gain access. I could be wrong. The one I linked you to before was the Father Damien tours.

taffy19

Reaction score
I think there is just one company that does the tours as that is the only way you can gain access. I could be wrong. The one I linked you to before was the Father Damien tours.
I believe that you are right, Luanne. They gave us the choice to take the van and visit Lanai City or stay on the beach and go snorkeling or swimming again or walk up to one of the resorts. We took the van and enjoyed the tour as the guide gave the history of the island, etc.

Again, I would highly recommend this tour but we will have to do it again to see if it is still as pleasant as it was before. :thumbup:

We booked this tour on the main street in Lahaina in combination with another tour that we also enjoyed. It had nothing to do with a timeshare presentation that we had to take and it was well worth the money to us.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I believe that you are right, Luanne. They gave us the choice to take the van and visit Lanai City or stay on the beach and go snorkeling or swimming again or walk up to one of the resorts. We took the van and enjoyed the tour as the guide gave the history of the island, etc.

Again, I would highly recommend this tour but we will have to do it again to see if it is still as pleasant as it was before. :thumbup:

We booked this tour on the main street in Lahaina in combination with another tour that we also enjoyed. It had nothing to do with a timeshare presentation that we had to take and it was well worth the money to us.
I think you were referring to the wrong post I made.

When I said there was just one tour company, that was for the Kaulapapa tours on Molokai.

Sounds like you were talking about the Trilogy tour from Lahaina.

taffy19

Reaction score
I think you were referring to the wrong post I made.

When I said there was just one tour company, that was for the Kaulapapa tours on Molokai.

Sounds like you were talking about the Trilogy tour from Lahaina.
OK, I see that now, Luanne. :oops:

Slip, have you considered a mule ride down? The scenery is spectacular but it is not for people who have fear of heights or are scared of horses or mules like me. I fell off a horse one time so didn't dare to do this but my mother did when she was in her 70's and she absolutely loved it.

I remember that we started to go down the trail but the moment I saw a small group of mules coming up, I didn't want to go any further so we had to go back. I am still mad at myself for not having done this tour.

I don't know if they would let people do this today when they are over a certain age and if it is even possible all in one day? You can read more about it here. :)

http://visitmolokai.com/wp/attractions-what-to-see-on-molokai/

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Slip, have you considered a mule ride down? The scenery is spectacular but it is not for people who have fear of heights or are scared of horses or mules like me. I fell off a horse one time so didn't dare to do this but my mother did when she was in her 70's and she absolutely loved it.

I remember that we started to go down the trail but the moment I saw a small group of mules coming up, I didn't want to go any further so we had to go back. I am still mad at myself for not having done this tour.

I don't know if they would let people do this today when they are over a certain age and if it is even possible all in one day? You can read more about it here. :)

http://visitmolokai.com/wp/attractions-what-to-see-on-molokai/
When my daughter and I (she was 16 at the time) did the tour we saw the options of hiking in, mule in, or fly in. She looked at me and we both said "fly in". The flight is very short and one of the advantages of doing that was that we got to view a short film on the history of Kaulapapa while we waited for everyone else to get there. There seemed to also be an option when yu could hike in and fly out. I don't know if the same option existed for the mule ride. It was not something that appealed to me at all.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have heard of the mule ride. I am scared of heights so that wouldn’t be for me. I was looking at the fly in option.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Curious if anyone has ever visited the Lanai Cat Sanctuary?

http://lanaicatsanctuary.org/

We are headed to Maui in September, and thinking of a day trip over to Lanai.

Thanks

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has ever visited the Lanai Cat Sanctuary?

http://lanaicatsanctuary.org/

We are headed to Maui in September, and thinking of a day trip over to Lanai.
That actually sounds quite interesting. Are you chartering a boat? Or is there an air taxi out of Kapalua Airport to Lanai City?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
That actually sounds quite interesting. Are you chartering a boat? Or is there an air taxi out of Kapalua Airport to Lanai City?

I found a tour that includes a boat trip from Maui, a visit to the Cat Sanctuary, then a tour of Lanai and back to Maui.

https://lostonlanai.com/product/lanai-cat-sanctuary-and-half-day-tour/

My wife really enjoys visiting the cat colonies in Waikaloa, but this place looks really big, so thought it might be fun. Plus we have never been to Lanai..