• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Would You Do?

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I have a weeks account with RCI.
I have an account with Destination Xchange (DRI).

I have 7 TPU about to expire in RCI.
I have a 24 TPU invested in an exchange set for November in Orlando. That exchange has "Vacation Protection".

I have a reservation for August with my DRI week. In Destination Xchange it's "Tier 4" and it's SoCal on the beach.

Because my mother-in-law is bedridden and essentially in hospice (not officially yet) my husband doesn't want to travel. For the record, this occurs in other situations, too, and I've traveled without my husband a number of times. In fact, I'll be doing that the end of June.
So my options are:

- Go on the trips anyway, just me and my son or invite other family members (my sister or my mom).

- Cancel the trips and plan others for next year... kick the can down the road and try to find something that works for husband later.

- Take one trip and cancel the other.

- Rent out one and cancel the other; rent one and take the other.

I'm really just curious what you would do. I'm open to suggestions about what I should do, but I'm mostly interested in what you all would do if you were in this situation.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have a weeks account with RCI.
I have an account with Destination Xchange (DRI).

I have 7 TPU about to expire in RCI.
I have a 24 TPU invested in an exchange set for November in Orlando. That exchange has "Vacation Protection".

I have a reservation for August with my DRI week. In Destination Xchange it's "Tier 4" and it's SoCal on the beach.

Because my mother-in-law is bedridden and essentially in hospice (not officially yet) my husband doesn't want to travel. For the record, this occurs in other situations, too, and I've traveled without my husband a number of times. In fact, I'll be doing that the end of June.
So my options are:

- Go on the trips anyway, just me and my son or invite other family members (my sister or my mom).

- Cancel the trips and plan others for next year... kick the can down the road and try to find something that works for husband later.

- Take one trip and cancel the other.

- Rent out one and cancel the other; rent one and take the other.

I'm really just curious what you would do. I'm open to suggestions about what I should do, but I'm mostly interested in what you all would do if you were in this situation.

If you were told by the doctors, his mom doesn’t have much time then pushing it off is what I would do for your husbands well being if that is what he wants and needs from you. Being he canceled in other situations, only you can access if this is the time not to go.

Lots can change by November and being you have vacation protection for Florida you can wait but that doesn’t include traveling considerations.

To cancel now with RCI would give you the opportunity to pay to combine your 24 tpu’s with the 7.

As far as So. California, that is much sooner and closer to you. Maybe your husband would consider going for a few days and you staying longer.

Ultimate advice, ask your husband what he needs from you. Losing my dad was prolonged and was very stressful. I can understand if he wants to be close to mom.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I’d leave all in place till the last minute, but ask others if they’d like to join you if something happens. The variable is your husband being available to go with you. Things with his mother may or may not change by the time these trips come up.

Dave

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Would either of you do anything with the 7 TPU or just let it expire?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
If you cancel the 24 tpu vacation then I would pay to combine. 31 Tpu’s will give you more choices then 24. If the 7 are stand alone I would choose to loose them.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Everyone's situation is different but back in 2011 I had just put my mom in an assisted living place with Hospice services as she was terminally ill. That was in February. My brother and his wife were on a planned vacation in Florida for a few weeks at that time, so I had to handle it myself. We had plans to go to Vermont in May (Memorial week) and to attend an event that was on my bucket list on the way home. Also that year we had planned to use our regular summer fixed week in Vermont the end of July and also a big bucket list trip to Yellowstone National Park in Sept.

I left everything in place. Went to Vermont Memorial week (an exchange). My brother sat with mom each day and worked from his computer and kept me abreast of her status. Her time was very limited at this point. My brother suggested we might want to come back, but we did not and we were able to attend the event on the way home.

Then, once home I had to put down my elderly dog (I had already put down his elderly sibling back in January). And then, my mom died. This was in June of that year also.

A stressful year, but also a lot of good things. All during this time I might add we were having our master bathroom remodeled. We went on to our timeshare vacation in JULY as scheduled and also our trip to Yellowstone.

Did I mention that at that time I was also in the throws of planning a trip to Scotland for 2012 and working with a Tugger to rent her timeshare there and also scheduled airfare and car rental?

After that we had our master bedroom painted and carpeted by the end of the year. What a year it was! I don't know how I did it- and believe me- it was mainly me doing all this. Not hubby. And I was working full time throughout all this!

I think you should just live life and adjust as you have to. I learned prior to this from my dad's illness that although people are terminally ill, they can go on living for quite some time. You just don't know. But certainly take your husband's feelings into consideration- that is very important.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Yes, I agree, my MIL is in hospice care and BIL is caring for her mostly. We visited her last month and she is stable for now. I told my husband that if he needs to go visit we can do this except for the few days I cannot, he could visit alone. He talks to her 3 times a week and she knows him on the phone and recognizes us when we saw her.
Both my Father and Mother have passed. We had long stressful months with them also. We have always tried to be there when we are needed. We have taken vacations and luckily no one died while we were away.
My advice is plan for the worst and hope for the best keep the November vacation. Also book a vacation close to home for the 7 TPUs. I was able to do this today with 7 PTU. Better than letting them expire.
Silentg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

I agree with Mary Ann. If you can book something nearby for the 7 TPU, or book something as far out as possible with cancellation insurance (so you could cancel and combine with the 24, if you wanted to), I'd go that way.

It's a tough situation, no matter which way you go. Sending best good wishes for a peaceful, easy outcome to all of this.

Dave

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I think we are going to just let the 7 tpu expire and keep the planned trip in November. My sister says she will go with me, but she very often changes her plans last minute so I can't count on her. I will just do yet another trip without my husband. I think I will cancel the August trip.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Another update:
We have decided to cancel the November trip also.
So now I have 24 TPU that expire in June 2019. My RCI account expires in March 2019. The 7 TPU is gone forever :(
Husband doesn't want to do any more traveling beyond our current plans. But I can travel with my son on school breaks. I searched a bit and didn't find anything suitable. So now I'm considering either extending the RCI account and travel window for the 24 TPU or else just gifting it.
Sigh...

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want/need the 7 TPUs back - try to RCI and see if they will give them back if you combine them. I had 3 expire that I needed to book something and they let me do it.

It sounds like you may be moving towards not continuing with RCI in the future. If that is the case, then I would look around for something to do with your son prior to membership expiring. Thanksgiving and xmas/ny week will probably be hard to find something with 24 TPUs though. Does he get a winter/spring break that you could use them for? Also are you comfortable traveling solo with him to any place you want or would you stick to places a little closer to home or that you are familiar with?

Personally....if it were me. I would try to find something to do with him before March membership expiration. If I can't find anything then I would renew RCI for a year and then try to use them up before they expire in June. If that didn't work....then yep, I would pay for an extension on the 24.

I can easily get 3 vacations out of 24 TPUs via LM trades - so they would be valuable enough to me to extend.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
If you want/need the 7 TPUs back - try to RCI and see if they will give them back if you combine them. I had 3 expire that I needed to book something and they let me do it.

Thank you!
I tried and it worked! They gave them back to me and let me combine and extend my deposits. So now I have more time to make a decision about what to do. Thanks!

Another update: in the meantime husband found a timeshare on ebay he wants so he bought it! LOL