• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What should I buy - newbie survey!

colmenares3

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC at BoardWalk and OKW
Hi all,

I've heard about TUG for years, and am a little intimidated to post. Y'all have a very good rep, so I know I'll get some no-nonsense, frank advice. Thanks in advance.

We own a couple DVC contracts (both resales), but I've shied away from other timeshares. Now my husband is interested in more regular vacations in Colombia, where he spent time as a kid (his parents were Colombian). He wants to buy a small condo, but I think a time share is really more what we should do - less responsibility. So here goes with my survey.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?
Colombia - primarily Cartagena and Medellin

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
Home resort, if we can figure out the best one for us in Cartagena.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Well, Colombia, and probably apart from that, we'd favor US, Canada and Centra/South America destinations.

4) How many people do you usually travel with?
Right now it's just my husband and I. We have a 21 yo son, who at some point when he has a family might start traveling with us again, but a max of two rooms would suffice, I think.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
We're very flexible. Probably most interested in summer travel, though, to get away from the summer heat in Tennessee.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
Yes, I think so.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Probably.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
I would say 3-4. We like Old Key West at DVC -- is that 3-4?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
We would not finance. I'm not sure how to even answer that, as I only know DVC pricing.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
$600? We could definitely do $50 a month. Probably more.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
Yes!

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
Yes. I'm spoiled by owning DVC (we had three contracts and sold one in under 24 hr). I'm a little unsure about resale of other timeshare properties.

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never seen a timeshare request for exclusively another country, and I was stumped. I looked in the II online directory for Colombia. Same for RCI. You can access their resort directories online without having a membership. These are the two largest trading companies, so their inventory is reflective of what kinds of trades you could get to Colombia and Central American countries.

I would look at the properties in the online directories available for Colombia and check first if their locations and amenities would work for you before you begin to find something to purchase.

Not knowing how reliable trading for that area would be, I guess you could always stick with the old adage 'buy where you want to go'.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that if you are mostly concerned with going to Colombia, that's where you should buy. And if you get a fixed week, you don't even need to plan. You just know that on (date certain) you will be going to Colombia. Every year. Now, I found 16 resorts in Colombia on RCI, a couple in Cartagena, San Andres Island, Santa Marta, principally. ALL of them are MANDATORY ALL INCLUSIVE. You might contact them and see if any have resales, or just watch and wait on TUG, EBay, Redweek. It's might be a thin market. Good Luck, and Welcome to TUG. We're a friendly bunch, so stick around and make some new friends.

Jim

colmenares3

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC at BoardWalk and OKW
Thanks, Jim and Janice. I appreciate the input. I had been looking at RCI, but didn't realize the Colombian ones were all-inclusives. I don't think that would work for us. :ponder: We're more get-out-and-get-to-know-the-community types. Especially as we both speak Spanish fluently.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Jim and Janice. I appreciate the input. I had been looking at RCI, but didn't realize the Colombian ones were all-inclusives. I don't think that would work for us. :ponder: We're more get-out-and-get-to-know-the-community types. Especially as we both speak Spanish fluently.
Some AI TSs are only mandatory for exchangers while owners can decline. Admittedly, I was looking at exchanges on RCI. If you happen across a resale- or have your eye on a resort that interests you, I'd contact them directly to see if that's the case. An amazing thing about timeshare contracts- they can say vastly different things- depending on what the developer gives up to make the sale.

colmenares3

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC at BoardWalk and OKW
OK, that's good to know. Thanks. I need to do some more reading here, as it's a bit like you're talking in a foreign language. :) I'll get there!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, that's good to know. Thanks. I need to do some more reading here, as it's a bit like you're talking in a foreign language. :) I'll get there!
Yeah, sometimes the acronyms that we are used to are like a shorthand without a key. Like MF- maintenance fees, AI- All Inclusive, RCI or II, the 2 biggest exchange companies. I think we tried to set up a sticky, but the acronyms get away from you without a way to alphabetize them.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
If you scroll down the page....the prices are lower

wrobinson

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villas Del Palmar
Hi all,

I've heard about TUG for years, and am a little intimidated to post. Y'all have a very good rep, so I know I'll get some no-nonsense, frank advice. Thanks in advance.

We own a couple DVC contracts (both resales), but I've shied away from other timeshares. Now my husband is interested in more regular vacations in Colombia, where he spent time as a kid (his parents were Colombian). He wants to buy a small condo, but I think a time share is really more what we should do - less responsibility. So here goes with my survey.

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?
Colombia - primarily Cartagena and Medellin

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
Home resort, if we can figure out the best one for us in Cartagena.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Well, Colombia, and probably apart from that, we'd favor US, Canada and Centra/South America destinations.

4) How many people do you usually travel with?
Right now it's just my husband and I. We have a 21 yo son, who at some point when he has a family might start traveling with us again, but a max of two rooms would suffice, I think.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
We're very flexible. Probably most interested in summer travel, though, to get away from the summer heat in Tennessee.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
Yes, I think so.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Probably.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
I would say 3-4. We like Old Key West at DVC -- is that 3-4?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
We would not finance. I'm not sure how to even answer that, as I only know DVC pricing.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
$600? We could definitely do $50 a month. Probably more.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
Yes!

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
Yes. I'm spoiled by owning DVC (we had three contracts and sold one in under 24 hr). I'm a little unsure about resale of other timeshare properties.

wrobinson

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villas Del Palmar
I am a former timeshare sales and marketing executive and can guide you towards what to do.

I must say that the TUG folks know what they'r walking about and their advice is sound. The questions that they asked are great. However, as a former sales and marketing executive, I can give you an "inside scoop."

First, it all depends on how you want to use it. NEVER buy on a timeshare presentation if you can buy on the resale market. You got that! You will usually pay less and you have more time to review everything without being rushed. You can ALWAYS go back to the resort and buy at the same price, or less. They all have a bottom line.

Second, if you can buy a fixed week, that will guarantee your stay without any "availability" hassles.

I must agree with you to buy a timeshare rather than a condo. You want to ensure that the two of you are going to enjoy yourselves there regularly. Before, you even buy the timeshare, rent on VRBO or through Airbnb just to make sure that you're going to like the place.

I heard Columbia is beautiful and the negative image it had in the past is gone.

Buenas Suerte. (Good luck!)