• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How's the Air Quality in Waikoloa?

PDXGolfer

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a trip booked for Kings' Land next month, and were wondering how the air quality has been recently with the volcanic activity? I called the resort and, first, the front desk pointed out that they are 100 miles from the volcano (I knew that). But, when I asked specifically if there has been any vog, they acknowledged that there has been and they recommended that I check airnow.com and hawaiicounty.gov. I will do so, of course, but I would also like to hear from those who are there, have been there recently, or have decided to change their plans to visit the Waikoloa area in the near future.

Thanks.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I have found this site, published by the School Of Ocean & Earth Sciences at the University of Hawaii, to be an excellent source of unbiased information about VOG patterns and which islands are affected. The map currently shows VOG over Waikoloa, but at the lowest concentration levels measured. The forecast does show some increase in concentrations over the next few days, however, although those levels remain at relatively low levels.

The other thing I like about this tool is that it's fully objective. I'm not sure statements made by local politicians, including the mayor of Hawaii County, are the most reliable sources of information these days. Hawaii (the Big Island, not the state) is really hurting from lost bookings right now because of the volcanic activity.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
This site shows SO2 concentrations and predicts them up to two days into the future. You can play with the layers to see other information, such as winds, temperatures, clouds, waves, etc.

rgong

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Kohala Suites in the Hilton Waikoloa complex June 5-10. There was a bit of haze when we landed in Kona but it seemed to dissipate as we drove north toward Waikoloa. While we there, it probably mostly impacted the southern portion of the Big Island (Captain Cook and south, and areas around Hawaii Volcanoes National Park).

For the most part, we were unaffected by the vog, but honestly the axiom "your mileage may vary" will apply, depending on the activities you plan. We spent most of our time around the Waikoloa area (Kailua-Kona, Hapuna Beach State Park, etc.) or nearer to Hilo (waterfalls, botanical gardens, markets). With the exception of myself, no one in our party was interested in getting near Hawaii Volcanoes NP. The biggest impact we likely saw? Lack of crowds. Local merchants mentioned more than once the noticeable drop-off in business, presumably due to cancelled trips or trips not booked.

Attaching a couple pics: One around sunset from our balcony at the Kohala Suites, one from Waialea beach, about 10 minutes north of the Waikoloa beach area. The point being, vog was hardly an issue on the ground.

IMG_6835.JPG IMG_6867.JPG

PDXGolfer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far, especially the on-the-ground report from rgong - very helpful!

mapsd

Reaction score
At Kings Land right now.
Beginning of week was clear skies. Overcast by midweek. Yesterday was the first day of cog north of Kona (was a 10000 ft plume of ash yesterday)
Looks relatively clear this AM

PDXGolfer

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Kings Land right now.
Beginning of week was clear skies. Overcast by midweek. Yesterday was the first day of cog north of Kona (was a 10000 ft plume of ash yesterday)
Looks relatively clear this AM
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We're here too. Its definitely hazier than I would have liked, but what can you do? We just got back from Pololu, Hawi, and Lapakahi. It was gorgeous. So if you don't like the way things look in Waikoloa, just head north.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I'll be there in a month, but on a "last minute" cruise. If Pele gets restless again, I assume the ship will just avoid the Big Island or go out to sea some more.
Trade winds keep blowing the VOG southward!

kwilson

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from 2 weeks in Kailua. We played at Waikoloa Village 4 times. No problem with the air. it was a little overcast at times and bright and sunny others. Hilo was perfectly clear, as the trade winds were blowing the VOG over the mountain and polluting the air in Kona down to South Point. We had no problem breathing, and I have lung problems. My biggest disappointment was the blah sunsets. If you could see the sun in was nothing more than an orange blob. BTW be sure to check the golf discount web sites. We got some unbelievable bargains.

jnsrusty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
We are at Bay Club now. The vog has been heavy in Kona, but here in Waikoloa, everyday but one has been clear and beautiful. The wind usually picks up in the evening and blows everything out. In Kona, the skies are gray and ugly. I would definitely not want to stay there. That being said, we did the manta ray tour out of Kona and the air did not bother my son or I even though we both have asthma. We even met a local from Kona that is trying to escape the vog by staying at Bay Club!

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
In Kona now on ship. Very hazy, can't see Mauna loa at all. Little no winds, the ocean is pretty flat. No problems breathing tho', even for my 90 yo mother on shore.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
We are headed to Kings' Land in 8 days. I appreciate the updates as well!

I will be on Island the 26 too, but am staying in Kona the first 4 days, will be checking in at KL on the 30th and will be there until the late on the 2nd.

Are you still there then? We can have a TUG get together.