• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Upgrades

DeeDibble

TUG Member
Reaction score
i just got off the phone with owner care and feel like I was mis-informed. It has always been my experience that if I booked a 1 bedroom and there were no 2 bedroom units available it would upgrade to a 3 bedroom. The woman I talked to told me I can’t do that. Is she wrong or have I missed something?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
i just got off the phone with owner care and feel like I was mis-informed. It has always been my experience that if I booked a 1 bedroom and there were no 2 bedroom units available it would upgrade to a 3 bedroom. The woman I talked to told me I can’t do that. Is she wrong or have I missed something?
Who knows how they work since the new system.

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It has been reported that it happened and it has been reported that it hasn't happened. If it is offered as an instant exchange or if the auto grade does it, it does. There are a lot of reasons when an upgrade looks like it should be available and it isn't and there is no apparent reason why and owner care won't override it if the system doesn't give it as an option.

jumoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen a 1br go to a 3br. Both in the instant upgrades, and the auto upgrades.
I have also seen a 1br refuse to instant upgrade to the 2br that exists.
I have also seen a 1br sit in my account, and a 2br available in the system for days for the exact same dates, and I don't get an auto upgrade.

DeeDibble

TUG Member
Reaction score
With all said I simply only need one night to add to an already booked 2 nights - the night I need is on a Monday - I’m hoping I could just grab the one bedroom and get the instant upgrade to the 3 bedroom since there are no longer any 2 bedrooms in the system. Anyone know any tricks? You would think that these 1 nights that just have been sitting there aren’t going to be hard to “compete” for and I’m only hours away from grabbing it - I’m really thinking the odds are in my favor and it’s likely I can grab it - am I CRAZY?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
With all said I simply only need one night to add to an already booked 2 nights - the night I need is on a Monday - I’m hoping I could just grab the one bedroom and get the instant upgrade to the 3 bedroom since there are no longer any 2 bedrooms in the system. Anyone know any tricks? You would think that these 1 nights that just have been sitting there aren’t going to be hard to “compete” for and I’m only hours away from grabbing it - I’m really thinking the odds are in my favor and it’s likely I can grab it - am I CRAZY?

As OP have said with this crappy system the upgrades at the time of booking aren't always working correctly. If you are a VIP owner, yes when you booked it you should have been given the option either on the phone or online of being able to up grade your reservation to the next available larger unit at the time of booking. After the time of booking the auto upgrades aren't working correctly either and no one will help you. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones if you should happen to get one.

What I find infuriating is that the VC aren't allowed to do an override and fix it when the upgrades at the time of booking aren't working. I recently had a VC tell me there was something available with an upgrade but when she tried to do the booking it wouldn't upgrade. I didn't tell her the only reason I was calling is because I had already tried online with no success. As I expected it didn't work for her either and she asked me to hold while she asked a supervisor. She came back with some b.s. she had been told to give me. It was so lame and she clearly embarrassed. It wasn't her fault and I took pity on her so didn't give her a hard time over it.

I've wondered if we all took a screenshot showing what was available every time this happened and contacted owner care demanding recompense and a written explanation of why we were denied the upgrade if owner care would get bogged down enough that something would get done about it.

DeeDibble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always get nervous anytime I try to do anything on the site. Sometimes I feel like Wyndham is just “banking” on owners giving up and surrendering their Contracts. I’ve gotten so cynical that in my mind I would not put it past them to have a “broad business plan” that strategically pushes owners with 2 and 3 million points to just throw in the towel and walk from their ownership. Wyndham could turn around and sell the same amount of points that have been forfeited. Example: 20 owners give up 60 million points total between them - Wyndham can absorb the points. It makes sense because if no owner is using them the points are “effectively in the system”. So in this example Wyndham sells, let’s say: 288 contracts with average of 208,000 point packages for about $34,000 per package. That’s a cash influx of over 9.7 million dollars that Wyndham now has but would not have as long as owners are keeping them - I’ve read somewhere that Timeshare companies can’t take back deeds but I’m not so sure about that - we’ve been offered “foreclosure packages” from them. It’s possible the “evolution” of the fixed weeks/deeded weeks converted to UDI - the Wyndham Access packages ie: newer “products” can be worked around. My husband kept saying “there is a reason they want those fixed weeks,”. I think it’s because when owners “trade in” and “buy up” it makes it easier for Wyndham to “recycle” points. Am I sounding like a “conspiracy theorist “?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I always get nervous anytime I try to do anything on the site. Sometimes I feel like Wyndham is just “banking” on owners giving up and surrendering their Contracts. I’ve gotten so cynical that in my mind I would not put it past them to have a “broad business plan” that strategically pushes owners with 2 and 3 million points to just throw in the towel and walk from their ownership. Wyndham could turn around and sell the same amount of points that have been forfeited. Example: 20 owners give up 60 million points total between them - Wyndham can absorb the points. It makes sense because if no owner is using them the points are “effectively in the system”. So in this example Wyndham sells, let’s say: 288 contracts with average of 208,000 point packages for about $34,000 per package. That’s a cash influx of over 9.7 million dollars that Wyndham now has but would not have as long as owners are keeping them - I’ve read somewhere that Timeshare companies can’t take back deeds but I’m not so sure about that - we’ve been offered “foreclosure packages” from them. It’s possible the “evolution” of the fixed weeks/deeded weeks converted to UDI - the Wyndham Access packages ie: newer “products” can be worked around. My husband kept saying “there is a reason they want those fixed weeks,”. I think it’s because when owners “trade in” and “buy up” it makes it easier for Wyndham to “recycle” points. Am I sounding like a “conspiracy theorist “?

Not at all.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

We are all cynical conspiracy theorists here!

Well, maybe not all of us. There are a few posters that I can't figure out what they are saying.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
This morning I received an email notifying me that my July 2 reservation at Wyndham La Belle Maison was auto-upgraded from studio to 1 bdrm. My first upgrade since the downgraded website last May

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
This morning I received an email notifying me that my July 2 reservation at Wyndham La Belle Maison was auto-upgraded from studio to 1 bdrm. My first upgrade since the downgraded website last May

Praise the Lord!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Here's more conspiracy theory. Maybe Wyndham is following the posts and wants to shut me up because during the night I just got my first auto upgrade EVER since the new website! I'm saying this kiddingly but part of me does wonder if our complaints here on TUG actually do get heard.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
How frustrating.

I have a 2 Bedroom Deluxe at Bonnet Creek, booked for full points. It's eligible for an upgrade. There's a 3 Bedroom Deluxe there now. It did not auto upgrade. Nothing worse than that, WYN. Crappy system, inconsistent behavior, no accountability.

:crash::crash::crash:

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have the points, book the three bedroom and cancel the two bedroom if you get the points discount.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you have the points, book the three bedroom and cancel the two bedroom if you get the points discount.
Unless check in is within 14 days.

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's more conspiracy theory. Maybe Wyndham is following the posts and wants to shut me up because during the night I just got my first auto upgrade EVER since the new website! I'm saying this kiddingly but part of me does wonder if our complaints here on TUG actually do get heard.

I have not had an upgrade yet but relatives that have the same reservation and booked months after me did get the upgrade...

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have not had an upgrade yet but relatives that have the same reservation and booked months after me did get the upgrade...
Now that sucks. Unless they're a higher VIP level, then maybe that's how it's supposed to work

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought it was the first one to request the upgrade.. Yes, one of them are platinum and I am Gold...
If I remember correctly, there was speculation last year on how that would work in the new world of Wyndham. Did their upgrade come before your upgrade window started?

ilenekm

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, there was speculation last year on how that would work in the new world of Wyndham. Did their upgrade come before your upgrade window started?
No I got an upgrade at the 60 day mark.
I had a Studio Presidential upgraded to a 1br deluxe, same point value. I wasn't happy. I went to the website and there was a 1br deluxe and a 2br pres. I booked the 1br st 50% discount and got upgraded to the 2br pres. In the end, I spent half the points of my original studio for a two br.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score

It was well within the upgrade period. Three weeks before check in. They booked and 3 days later had the upgrade. I never got one..

DeeDibble

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind they are watching and reading.

DRIless

Reaction score
I think WYN designed the inconsistencies to help thwart mega-renters like this one whose site states:

The industry leader in providing the finest resort rentals to the general public at deeply discounted pricing. Please take a moment to browse our site and find the location for your next dream vacation. Our featured properties in Florida, Hawaii, South Carolina, Tennessee, Las Vegas and California are all listed above in addition to our newly and ever expanding portfolio of properties listed as Other Destinations. If you are interested in one of these destinations, we will be happy to send you complete listing information on each of them. All of the resorts you see are discounted deeply, up to 60% off of the resort’s retail prices. If you can’t find what you are looking for, contact us. It is our goal to be your one stop shop for all of your travel needs. This site contains only a sampling of our most popular properties. We have access to over 20,000 vacation homes and villas across the world. Thanks for your continued patronage!

that recently sent out these notices:

We are writing to inform you of an important change in our payment options. We will no longer be able to accept PayPal payments using the "Friends & Family" option. If you plan to pay with PayPal, you must select the option that says "Pay for Goods or Services". "Friends & Family" does not incur a fee, which is why PayPal has sent us a warning informing us that they will shut down our ability to transmit money via their service if future funds are not received in the appropriate format ("Pay for Goods or Services"). Therefore, as our invoice states, there will be a 2% fee added to your total (the same as our credit card fee) if you choose to use Paypal as your form of payment. We will not be able to make any exceptions, in order to protect the standing of our PayPal account. However, as always, you may send a company check without incurring the additional fee, as long as the check-in date is 10 days or more from the date the reservation is being booked. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Due to some changes within the Wyndham online booking site, you may now expect to receive your final confirmations 15 days prior to the check-in date (rather than 30 days prior to check-in, which was our previous protocol). In most cases, you will still receive your final confirmations ahead of that time. However, there may be some instances that your reservation will be updated two weeks prior to check-in. Please do not be alarmed. The new website has made some drastic changes, causing us to make some adjustments, as well. Rest assured that your reservations are safe and secure, as always, and that we are working hard to find new ways to reduce prices and increase inventory selection. Thank you very much for your support in this matter, and please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

I think the loss of book/cancel/rebook and expected upgrades is killing them. Their entire inventory is Wyndham.

How frustrating.

I have a 2 Bedroom Deluxe at Bonnet Creek, booked for full points. It's eligible for an upgrade. There's a 3 Bedroom Deluxe there now. It did not auto upgrade. Nothing worse than that, WYN. Crappy system, inconsistent behavior, no accountability.

We are all cynical conspiracy theorists here! Well, maybe not all of us. There are a few posters that I can't figure out what they are saying.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think WYN designed the inconsistencies to help thwart mega-renters like this one whose site states:

that recently sent out these notices:

I think the loss of book/cancel/rebook and expected upgrades is killing them. Their entire inventory is Wyndham.

Are you new to this forum?

Wyndham has been actively trying to put the megarenters out of business since August 2016. And they have been largely successful with the mega owners. The guys that are left are the ones that “rent” points from owners that have more points than they are using personally

They took 25 million points from me and similar numbers from several other guys I know.

Yes they can resell this stuff. I figure they can make $4,000,000 off me alone. But as I’ve said in other posts I’ve done recently, I don’t think it’s that simple

Not only are they buying to put renters out of business I think they have a long range plan to convert their timeshare business to a rental business

Just like they transitioned from weeks to points some years ago, they can transition to a vacation rental business

We megarenters showed them that it’s possible to rent this stuff for more than it costs to maintain it

The biggest problem timeshare companies face today is that young people don’t want to obligate themselves to the same vacations for the rest of their lives. We baby boomers are aging out (a polite way of saying we are dying off) and our kids don’t want this stuff

One solution that the timeshare companies are considering is short term vacation plans. Ie buy 10 weeks to use o we the next 8 years for $xxx. Another solution is rentals. I haven’t done my research but it seems to me wyndhams rental websites have more inventory today than they once had