• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good Retirement Community in or near Phoenix AZ

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I'm heading on a business trip on Sunday to Phoenix for a week, staying in Scottsdale. Can anyone give me some good 55+ community's that I can go visit while I'm there... I will be working 9 to 5 each day in class but after class I can look around and I'm staying through the weekend.

thanks so much...

vikingsholm

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Carefree is one just north of Phoenix.

Further afield and not as hot - Prescott, Sierra Vista (south of Tucson).

I don't know if these are 55+, but some retirees do congregate there.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We have friends who live in Surprise, AZ, which is a suburb of Phoenix. It is a Del Webb community and they absolutely love it. They describe it as a very tight-knit community with tons of activities for seniors and ways that people can build friendships and community.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are three Del Webb communities in surprise Arizona. The oldest is Sun City West, in between is Sun City Grand, and newest is Sun City Festival still being built slowly. Sun City grand is unusual as it used to be a 55 year plus community but with the residents approval of a vote lowered the admission age to 45 years of age. We reviewed over a years travel around the US about 15 different Del Webb communities and settled on Sun City Grand. We move there in 2004 and resided there for nine years and sold our place in 2013 to move into a continuing care community. Sun City Grand has approximately 17,000 residents and about 1000 units. In our opinioN it is the and most attractive retirement and best community we visited.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Pebble Creek is in Goodyear (Robson Community). It is within 30 minutes of Sky Harbor Airport. Just north of I-10 and just east of the 303 that is a great highway to connect with I-17 north to Sedona & Flagstaff with little traffic.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Spent two years looking around Arizona. My mother in law felt sun city west was uppity. I saw sierra vista listed, there is a community there, but I wouldn't even consider that town. I think the entire town of Green Valley is senior

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I would strongly recommend visiting some Del Webb-type communities while there and some smaller ones too. Sin-city represents a very standard type of community that has been replicated in multiple locations. Some folks really like it. Others find it way too 'up tight' for their style of living. Different strokes and all that. These communities might give you a 'compass' to navigate your search. For instance, 'less formal' or 'less restrictive' or 'smaller' or 'more variety' etc...

The traffic issue is one you will not be able to witness. While there are a ton of year-round flocks in Arizona these days, the true migratory fowl (snow birds) will have 'flown the coop' in search of milder summer climes. Honestly, the winter traffic in PHX can be quite startling to the uninitiated.

I'd love to hear your reviews after your visits......

cheers.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm heading on a business trip on Sunday to Phoenix for a week, staying in Scottsdale. Can anyone give me some good 55+ community's that I can go visit while I'm there... I will be working 9 to 5 each day in class but after class I can look around and I'm staying through the weekend...

Looking around as you travel has a lot of value. During the 5 years or so before I retired I visited some 5 to 10 CCRCs around the country during my business travels. By the time I was ready to retire I knew exactly where I wanted to buy in. My many visits were instrumental in my making the right decision.

George

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are three Del Webb communities in surprise Arizona. The oldest is Sun City West, in between is Sun City Grand, and newest is Sun City Festival still being built slowly. Sun City grand is unusual as it used to be a 55 year plus community but with the residents approval of a vote lowered the admission age to 45 years of age. We reviewed over a years travel around the US about 15 different Del Webb communities and settled on Sun City Grand. We move there in 2004 and resided there for nine years and sold our place in 2013 to move into a continuing care community. Sun City Grand has approximately 17,000 residents and about 1000 units. In our opinioN it is the and most attractive retirement and best community we visited.
Does Sun City Grand have a variety of housing options. The goal is to get a 2 or 3 bedroom unit. I want the kids to visit. I really want a place that has a feeling of community with lots of activity’s

Thanks for your input and help.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would strongly recommend visiting some Del Webb-type communities while there and some smaller ones too. Sin-city represents a very standard type of community that has been replicated in multiple locations. Some folks really like it. Others find it way too 'up tight' for their style of living. Different strokes and all that. These communities might give you a 'compass' to navigate your search. For instance, 'less formal' or 'less restrictive' or 'smaller' or 'more variety' etc...

The traffic issue is one you will not be able to witness. While there are a ton of year-round flocks in Arizona these days, the true migratory fowl (snow birds) will have 'flown the coop' in search of milder summer climes. Honestly, the winter traffic in PHX can be quite startling to the uninitiated.

I'd love to hear your reviews after your visits......

cheers.
I’m going to try and visit as many places in the time I’m there. Thanks for all of the great info.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your figures are correct sun city grand has 17 residents per unit. I am guessing there is an extra or missing zero somewhere.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If your figures are correct sun city grand has 17 residents per unit. I am guessing there is an extra or missing zero somewhere.
I'm going to visit this complex while I'm in town and try and see one other area

zinger1457

Reaction score
I would suggest visiting places closer to Scottsdale during the week nights and visit Sun City during the weekend. It's a bit of a drive from Scottsdale to Sun City and you'll be dealing with heavy freeway traffic on week nights after 5pm limiting the amount of time you can check places out.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would suggest visiting places closer to Scottsdale during the week nights and visit Sun City during the weekend. It's a bit of a drive from Scottsdale to Sun City and you'll be dealing with heavy freeway traffic on week nights after 5pm limiting the amount of time you can check places out.
Thank you, that is good advice...

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does anyone have an suggestions of some good places to check out near Scottsdale? I'm trying to look for a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo (or home if all maintenance is done by the HOA) and around $220K and less

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Sun City Overview (ALL)
Sun City Arizona was not only the first 55+ active adult community in Arizona, but also the first in the country. Del Webb started Sun City Arizona in 1960 and it now has over 26,000 homes, 11 golf courses and countless amenities and social clubs. It is renowned for its incredible home values, low property taxes and minimal association fees.

On New Year’s Day 1960 Del Webb’s Sun City Arizona opened their doors to the public. Years of anticipation led to an astonishing 100,000 visitors who toured the property in the first weekend. Del Webb went on to sell 400 homes in the first month and 2,000 in the first year making it one of the most popular active adult communities in Arizona. Between 1960 and 1978, Del Webb continued to build a community that catered to the retirement dreams of thousands of Americans. This active adult community is now home to 40,000 full and part-time residents.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sun city grand has over 45,000 residents and 21000 plus homes. My in laws lived in sun city for twenty years. The golf was only a dollar to play then. Taxes were so low because they didn't support a school system. They paid only a few hundred dollars property tax.
But these sun city communities are actually the size of cities. If you are looking for a community feeling you need to find a community of a thousand homes or so.

zinger1457

Reaction score
Does anyone have an suggestions of some good places to check out near Scottsdale? I'm trying to look for a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo (or home if all maintenance is done by the HOA) and around $220K and less

Scottsdale is a nice area and has a lot to offer but is also one of the most upscale cities in the Phoenix area. I would think $220K would be at the low end of what you could find there in a 2BR/BA condo. You'll get more bang for $ in the outlying areas like Sun City, East Mesa, etc.

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was only off one zero. 10,000 units, 4 golf courses,two large gyms,several pools, and well over a hundred clubs

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I'm heading on a business trip on Sunday to Phoenix for a week, staying in Scottsdale. Can anyone give me some good 55+ community's that I can go visit while I'm there... I will be working 9 to 5 each day in class but after class I can look around and I'm staying through the weekend.

thanks so much...

FYI - Understanding , you can't do it on this trip / visit .

The nearest beach is Puerto Penasco / Rocky Point Mx . It is about 4 hours from the SW Phoenix suburbs .

There is a Mayan Palace & Grand Mayan TS about 20 miles from PP . Beautiful location & beach on the Sea of Cortez .

Puerto Penasco / Rocky Point also has a number of (in town), full ownership beach front condo buildings / where the management company also rents for owners
who wish to cover some of their overhead when they are not personally using their condo.

We have visited twice - in mid October . Flew to Phoenix & drove in a rental .
( must have Mexican Ins / Enterprise & some others offer it as an add on )