• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

For anyone Lahaina bound...

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
That’s good news but I can’t tell if the bypass is complete yet? I hope someone visits soon and can report on the experience? Thanks for posting this!

Best,

Greg

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Yes, good news indeed. It sounds like it is open, but they still have some minor work to complete. As Greg mentioned, it is hard to tell for sure. It will be nice to have that route available to us trying to get up to Kaanapali and points beyond.

Best regards.

Mike

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'll be there Saturday. What exactly do you want to know?

Dave

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I was there on April 23 when part of the bypass traffic pattern was altered. (Was worried about it because we had to be somewhere early that morning, worked fine for us. Traffic into Lahaina from central Maui was backed up big time.) It was busy the first day or two, but they must have gotten the kinks worked out because the traffic flowed pretty well after that. (I freely admit I am not an expert on the area.) We ended up using the bypass to avoid the traffic in Lahaina, that was nice.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I'll be there Saturday. What exactly do you want to know?

Dave
First of all - I’m jealous you will be in Maui Saturday - enjoy it!!

Can you just report back if it functions as it appears - such as, you take the bypass road and pass all of Lahaina, rejoining Honoapiilani, or are redirected back down to Honoapiilani somewhere in Lahaina (ie, you only bypass part of Lahaina, not all of Lahaina).

Thanks!

Greg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Can you just report back if it functions as it appears - such as, you take the bypass road and pass all of Lahaina, rejoining Honoapiilani, or are redirected back down to Honoapiilani somewhere in Lahaina (ie, you only bypass part of Lahaina, not all of Lahaina).

Thanks!

Greg

Happy to do it. :thumbup:

Dave

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Thanks!

Greg

The way I read the article, and looking at the maps (and Google maps), it looks like you enter the bypass well south of Lahaina, and then it empties out back onto Honoapiilani Highway right at Lahaina Cannery Mall/Safeway/Longs Drug/Old Lahaina Luau area. That's my read, but it will be nice to get independent confirmation.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
According to the TA forums, the bypass has been open, and it's just the connectors that are still being opened (like this newest one). I'm interested to see how the drive is next month using the bypass (Google Maps route).

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Garmin users should be aware that Garmin is not aware of all this...at least our last update was not when we arrived a week ago. So scout this route out well on Google maps before you attempt to drive it.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Ok, I'll confirm this tomorrow, but I think we did what you're describing. We were on Highway 30 heading toward Lahaina, and then without turning, we were on a fairly stark road higher up the hill from what I remember driving last time. There were no signs saying it was putting us on a bypass road. The road I remembered from several years ago when I was here was winding along the coastline, and had a number of turnouts for businesses closer to the water. Today, I saw none of that, none of Lahaina, but then that stark road I was on kind of ended, and it took us down the hill and reconnected with Honoapiilani along the coast. There were no road markers along that stark road indicating what it was, but I'm thinking it had to be Highway 3000.

Traffic was stop-and-go slow clear back to the Aquarium. It was an hour's drive to get from there to Ka'anapali Beach Club. The navigation on my iPhone got it all wrong, but did mention Highway 3000, which was something.

I'll be driving the same route tomorrow, and I'll watch more closely for signs, now that I know what to look for.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Driving through Lahaina today I saw a sign pointing uphill that said "Highway 3000." I made the turn and followed it up, but it was Highway 30. Now I'm confused on what I should be seeing. ???

Dave

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We were there last Nov and I believe that the bypass road dumped you out by the Lahaina Gateway shopping center on Keawe St .(There is a Barnes & Noble there). You pick it up well south of Lahaina. It was helpful to use it.

hintok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis - 2
Westin Desert Willows
WorldMark 6k credits
Gandview RCI Points 122k
We used it last Friday, the 18th, when re returned to the airport.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Ok. Now I have information:

Westbound on Highway 30, it puts you right into the bypass (Highway 3000) without any slowdown. So that end of it is working fine. If you want to get down into Lahaina town from that (east) end, the first option to turn is at Kai Hele Ku Street. There is a stop light there, and a left turn lane. The bypass continues west, and ends four miles further west. It is now labeled as Highway 3000.

Eastbound, you have to turn uphill at Keawe Street to get to the Bypass, or you'll continue on Highway 30 into Lahaina. I have not driven that far on Highway 30, so I don't know where the logical end of it is. I'd presume it also ends at Kai Hele Ku Street.

Construction continues at assorted places along the bypass, but nothing I've seen would impede traffic. Speeding is an issue, and today we saw a flatbed flooring truck with a full load that had tipped over on the corner westbound at the top of the hill, trying to make the turn to come down the hill from the bypass. Lost the load all over the highway, against the guard rail, and down the hillside. Couldn't see the condition of the cab, so hope the driver was okay. It was obvious he'd been speeding.

I hope this helps some. If you have specific questions, let me know and I'll try to get answers.

Dave

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I drove this route yesterday. I didn’t realize I was in the bypass until I saw one of the mile markers with 3000 on it. I know knew what it was because of this thread.

I didn’t see any construction at all and it was a nice pace with hardly any slow down. It dumps you right into the Cannery.

I also did my Garmin update as well and it’s not a listed road. It’s also not on Apple Maps but it is in Google Maps.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Thanks for all of this information. We saw signs for a bypass when we were on Maui in March, but never attempted to take the road. We'll try it next year when we're there.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for all of this information. We saw signs for a bypass when we were on Maui in March, but never attempted to take the road. We'll try it next year when we're there.

Thing is, now you'll have to try NOT to take it, if you're heading westbound. Eastbound, if you don't turn at the Cannery, you'll end up on a forced left turn up the hill to the east end of the Bypass road, where it merges into the eastbound Bypass traffic lane, and soon dumps back onto Highway 30. This end of things is done without notice - you'll go from Highway 3000 to Highway 30 without knowing it.

Dave

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I look forward to using the new bypass in two weeks. I was playing with changing our sunset cruise with Trilogy to Maalaea, but they suggested keeping the Ka’anapali tour because of how long it was taking to get there from Lahaina. I can’t recall when that email is from, but it was within the last three months.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thing is, now you'll have to try NOT to take it, if you're heading westbound. Eastbound, if you don't turn at the Cannery, you'll end up on a forced left turn up the hill to the east end of the Bypass road, where it merges into the eastbound Bypass traffic lane, and soon dumps back onto Highway 30. This end of things is done without notice - you'll go from Highway 3000 to Highway 30 without knowing it.

Dave
I'm trying to picture this in my mind. So, if we are traveling from Kihei to Lahaina, we will kind of automatically end up on the bypass, unless we opt not to? And does it dump you out by the Cannery, or can you get into Lahaina before that?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm trying to picture this in my mind. So, if we are traveling from Kihei to Lahaina, we will kind of automatically end up on the bypass, unless we opt not to? And does it dump you out by the Cannery, or can you get into Lahaina before that?

It's easy. As you come from Kihei, after Olowalu and the beach area, suddenly the road you're on is no longer Highway 30 - it's now Highway 3000. There are several places you can turn left from the Bypass, and head down the hill into Lahaina. The first option is at Kai Hele Ku street. There is a stoplight and a left turn lane there. At the west end of the Bypass, the road only turns left and goes down the hill, and ties back into Highway 30 at the stoplight by the Cannery. It is all very easy to do, and easy to figure out. You just need to decide which roads are which.

Google maps shows this about it for the eastern end:

Screen Shot 2018-06-03 at 3.52.17 PM.png

What it doesn't show, for the eastern end of things heading westbound, is the road goes directly onto Highway 3000 from Highway 30. The map would make you think you have a choice. You don't. As I said, you're on Highway 30, then it's suddenly Highway 3000. if you want to get back onto Highway 30, you have to make the left turn at Kai Hele Ku street.

And this at the west end of it:

Screen Shot 2018-06-03 at 3.53.56 PM.png

As you see, the Bypass directly routes down at Keawe Street. No choice about it.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks Dave. Now I just have to remember this for next year. :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It'll be easy once you've done it. Don't worry about it. :) The hardest part is deciding where (or if) to turn to head down into Lahaina from the Bypass.

Dave

mj2vacation

Reaction score
Apple maps has not been updated for this. It tells you to turn when there is no where to turn....

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TIL that people still use Apple Maps...