• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Arrived on Kauai!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Vacation Week 2 has begun, in good form. We finished our week on Maui this morning with a leisurely buffet breakfast at Kaanapali Beach Resort, (a great $15 breakfast. Lots of food choices!), headed to the airport, dropped off the rental car, boarded our interisland flight, and now we're on Kauai. Everything went without any bumps. I even managed to beat out about 50 people waiting in line at the car rental counter because I had previously signed up for their loyalty program. In and out in a matter of minutes. It's like we've done this a time or two before. :)

We arrived at about noon at Kauai Beach Villas on a last minute rental through Grand Pacific Exchange, the affiliated arm of Grand Pacific Resorts, who everyone probably knows is now the management company at the resort. I knew we were four hours early to check in, but figured it wouldn't hurt to drop by, establish contact and let them know we were here, in the off-chance our unit might be ready early. They knew we were coming, had the reservation and such ready to go, and while politely talking to the office staff about why we weren't going to take the timeshare sales pitch in Princeville, we were told our unit was ready, and we could check in early. Excellent!!

Knowing how things work at KBV from having been an owner here for so long, I had called ahead a few weeks ago and requested G or H buildings, if any units were available. Not knowing the view class this rental carried, only that the rental was two bedrooms, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I figured it never hurts to ask. And what do you know - we got H2, a main floor unit in H Building! Yeah! Early check-in, to an ocean front unit, on a rental? Wow! This week is starting out beautifully!

The unit is in excellent condition. Everything looks "right," and I'm looking forward to a nice stay here. I've only stayed in one bedroom units here, so I was a bit surprised at how much larger the two bedroom units are. As seems to always happen at times like this, I think to myself, "I could live here." I can see why so many units at KBV are privately owned.

These are some quick pictures I took of the unit, before we mess it all up:
H2 Living Room 1.JPG H2 Living Room 2.JPG H2 Dining Area.JPG
H2 Kitchen.JPG H2 Hall Bath.JPGH2 Master Bath.JPG
H2 Master BR.JPG This is both ends of the Living Room, (note the glass sliders on the one side of the Living Room), the Dining Area off the LR, the Kitchen, Hall Bath, Master Bath, and Master Bedroom. There is also a laundry closet with a stacked washer and dryer, and a second bedroom with two double beds.

The view is outstanding from this unit.

Dave

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent news, Dave. Have fun and enjoy your ocean front view. I just HATE those. The surf against the shore makes SO much noise that sleeping with the Lanai door open is just impossible. (Tongue firmly in cheek) :)

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Speaking of the view, this is what can be seen from inside the unit:

H2 View.JPG

And stepping out onto the lanai, this is the view to the left, straight out, and to the right. Not bad at all, I'd say. ;)

H2 View Left.JPG H2 View Direct Out.JPG H2 View Right.JPG

Ok, enough of this. We're going to go grab some lunch and groceries, and see what the rest of the day brings.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Excellent news, Dave. Have fun and enjoy your ocean front view. I just HATE those. The surf against the shore makes SO much noise that sleeping with the Lanai door open is just impossible. (Tongue firmly in cheek) :)

Jim

HAHAHA! You know me too well, Jim. ;)

Dave

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Excellent! Please let us know how North Shore is after the storms. Oh BTW, have you tried your new Fuji XP130 camera yet? How do you like it? Is the optical zooming good enough for you, especially underwater?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Excellent! Please let us know how North Shore is after the storms. Oh BTW, have you tried your new Fuji XP130 camera yet? How do you like it? Is the optical zooming good enough for you, especially underwater?

I'll have to let you know when we go up there. I asked at the front desk, and they said the road is still closed past Hanalei. When I head that direction, I'll let you know how far we get.

I have not yet had a chance to use the camera underwater. For all my best intentions, I did not get a chance to go snorkeling on Maui. My plan is to definitely do it here on Kauai this week. I'll let you know how it goes, and will post any decent images in this thread. :thumbup:

Dave

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Looks like you are starting off right in Kauai! Enjoy your time...

taffy19

Reaction score
Enjoy your week in Kauai. You have a great view and a nice condo. Life is good. :cool:

I hope that you will try your new snorkel and new camera too and see a lot of reef fish and colorful coral.

The last time we were on Kauai, we could not go over the bridge in Hanalei either. We tried twice but they had so much rain so we never made it to Princeville but we have stayed there several times and the weather was beautiful. You never know about the weather anywhere anymore today.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Looks like you are starting off right in Kauai! Enjoy your time...

Enjoy your week in Kauai. You have a great view and a nice condo. Life is good. :cool:

Thanks! Now that we've done the provisions shopping thing, (Costco and Foodland [FYI: Make sure you have a Foodland Maikai Card - it'll save you a fortune!]), and had a great easy late lunch/early dinner at Olympic Cafe in Kapa'a, (one of our favorite eateries), we can really get this party started! :)

The weather this week is supposed to be challenging, so we're going to have to be especially flexible. No major plans are being made, since it'll be an "on the day" sort of thing. Should be interesting!

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
You can sign up and get the Makai card at the service counter and get it right away. Even if you forget it when you shop all you have to do is give them your phone number on your account at the register.

Surprisingly, we only went to the Olympic once during our trip but it’s always good and large portions.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You can sign up and get the Makai card at the service counter and get it right away. Even if you forget it when you shop all you have to do is give them your phone number on your account at the register.

Surprisingly, we only went to the Olympic once during our trip but it’s always good and large portions.

The resort gave us the card at check-in. We didn't ask for it. I'm glad they did - it saved a substantial amount at the register. I mentioned we usually shop at Safeway, but the Desk Clerk said Foodland is generally less expensive. Note she did not say "cheaper." :)

Olympic Cafe is a place we like to visit a time or two when we want an easy, fast sandwich or whatever. The outdoor seating along the railing upstairs gives a great view for people watching down on the street. And the food is pretty darn good, too. :)

Olympic Longboard.JPG Olympic Lunch.JPG

Had the patty melt. It was good, but the bread got to be a bit messy. I had to finish it with a fork. And the obligatory mac salad is always good there. I think the Kona Brewery owes me for all the free advertising they're getting this trip. ;)

And speaking of Hawaiian things, while at Foodland I checked the Spam section. I knew Spam comes in many "flavors," and I was curious if they carried a certain one. I have great friends in Virginia who are originally from Hawaii. They eat a lot of Spam, but didn't know this one existed till I told them about it, as it isn't sold in stores there. I sent them this picture and said "If it makes it home with us, I'll send it to you." So now, the decision: Do we eat it, or save it? :D

Spam Can.JPG

Dave

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I always bring a couple of cans of that Spam home. It really good.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We always seem to end up at FoodLand. We go to Safeway once in a while when FoodLand is closed or we’re stopping in that mall for something else. We always keep our Makai. Add and bags in the car just in case we have to make a stop and of course those items stay in our tote on the island so we don’t forget them. :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You know you're back on Kauai when the neighbors come for a visit...

KBV Chicken.JPG

Dave

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I think the Kona Brewery owes me for all the free advertising they're getting this trip. ;)

They only pay if you advertise Lavaman ;)

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
I think we stayed in the same unit on an RCI exchange Oct 2016 (same view I remember). It was SO hot though, and we could only stand being in the living room during the early morning to enjoy the view. My family loved Olympic Cafe so much it was our final meal the night we left.

Our all time favorite shave ice on 3 islands is Loco Coco on the way to Poipu. Real juice, real fruit, and honey from his own bee hives on top. We had to stop there every time we passed it!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
And speaking of Hawaiian things, while at Foodland I checked the Spam section. I knew Spam comes in many "flavors," and I was curious if they carried a certain one. I have great friends in Virginia who are originally from Hawaii. They eat a lot of Spam, but didn't know this one existed till I told them about it, as it isn't sold in stores there. I sent them this picture and said "If it makes it home with us, I'll send it to you." So now, the decision: Do we eat it, or save it? :D

I'm surprised that I can get single slice Spam in Minnesota and not in Hawaii. You tear open the foil package, slide it into the frying pan, and then onto the sandwich. It's terribly convenient, and you don't have to touch the gel.
91Apw%2B0i8HL._SY450_.jpg

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm surprised that I can get single slice Spam in Minnesota and not in Hawaii. You tear open the foil package, slide it into the frying pan, and then onto the sandwich. It's terribly convenient, and you don't have to touch the gel.
Sorry, still not seeing the appeal.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

I've never seen this. I may have a new pastime! ;)

Dave

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And speaking of Hawaiian things, while at Foodland I checked the Spam section. I knew Spam comes in many "flavors," and I was curious if they carried a certain one. I have great friends in Virginia who are originally from Hawaii. They eat a lot of Spam, but didn't know this one existed till I told them about it, as it isn't sold in stores there. I sent them this picture and said "If it makes it home with us, I'll send it to you." So now, the decision: Do we eat it, or save it?

View attachment 6891

Dave

The Portuguese sausage flavor is the only kind of Spam I like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Today was a fun, easy day. Waking up to the sunrise is always nice, but sunrises on Kauai are especially nice. I forgot to take a picture, so I'll try again tomorrow. You'll have to wait. ;)

I got all domestic, and cooked breakfast in the condo. Nothing fancy - bacon, eggs, and hash browns. Fresh sliced pineapple, melons and whatever else came on that fruit tray from Costco. We ate on the lanai, and were almost finished when the rain started. I said the weather was going to be challenging this week, and it seems like it's going to be. So we hung out in the condo for the morning, then took off about noon.

First stop was Wailua Falls. I really like the view from the parking area at the end of the road. But today, probably because it's Sunday on a long weekend, the place was PACKED! Cars parked all back down the road, people trying to turn around in a single lane, and whatever. It's a wonder nobody dented anybody - or their cars.

As we were viewing the Falls, I saw people swimming in the pond at the base of the Falls. Not sure how they got down there - I'm sure there's a trail. But I'm not fool enough to try it. Large waterfalls tend to occasionally bring boulders with them. It'd be my luck to get clocked in the head with a big rock. Not a fun thing. But the view of the Falls today was great. Very full!

Wailua Falls.JPG

When we got back to the main road, we stopped into The Koa Store, which is right there. The woman working the counter was the same one who referred us to the lumberyard in Kapa'a about 18 months ago, when I bought the Koa boards that became my Hawaiian clock. I showed her a picture of the finished clock, and she was very impressed. For those of you who may have missed the thread about it, this is the clock an artist friend made for me from Koa I got here on Kauai:

Koa Clock.JPG

We took a leisurely drive down to the South Shore, hoping to find a bit better weather. Things around Lihue were still pretty cloudy. We stopped at the Spouting Horn, to see if I could get a decent picture of what a blowhole can do. (The one on Maui was not cooperating when we were there.) It was much better here. This is the best of the images I took:

Spouting Horn.JPG

We dropped into Brennecke's for a little Happy Hour entertainment. We enjoyed the view from the window table we had. The beach was very busy. But the Kona Longboard was as cold as ever, and the Brennecke's MaiTai went down pretty easily. We shared a plate of nachos, (which for some reason tasted better than I remembered - I think it's the environment. ;)

Brennecke's View.JPG Brennecke's MaiTai 2JPG.JPG

We took a walk around the beach, watching the swimmers and snorkelers for awhile, then decided it was time to head for home. I tried to get all clever and photo-artsy by taking a Slo-Mo Video of the Tree Tunnel on the way back. It worked fine, but the Slow-Mo option made it r-e-a-l-l-y slowwwwwwww. Watching paint dry would be more fun. So I'll try it again on regular speed, and see if it's better. The Tree Tunnel is lush and green and full right now, and I'm hoping to get a great video of driving through it. Stay tuned.

When we got back to Lihue, I cut down Nawiliwili Road to Kalapaki Beach area, for one main reason: I wanted to stop at The Right Slice. I've heard they have vending machines now, so you can buy their pies at anytime. The sign said they're open from 6:00AM to 10:00PM every day. And sure enough, even though it was late Sunday afternoon, the lobby area was open. And just as advertised, there were vending machines like the old automat kind, with a place to pay with a credit card or with cash. I selected a Lilikoi Cheesecake, one of our favorites they make, and out the door we went. It was very easy. Since we're trying to eat in this week as much as we can, this cheesecake will make dessert for a few meals. It's not a huge cheesecake - maybe eight inches or so diameter, but the stuff is so rich, it'll serve us for at least three meals.

When we got back to the KBV site, we raided the Owner's Closet behind the Front Office for beach chairs and mats. They're now in the trunk of the rental car, along with my snorkeling gear. If we see the right beach, and the weather is decent, I want to be ready to get wet. :thumbup:

Low key plans for this evening. We're making dinner - Hawaiian Style Chicken from the deli at Costco, and a nice spinach salad. And you already know what we're having for dessert. :)

Tomorrow we'll head north, unless the weather tuns us back.

Dave

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sounds like a great start. Wailua Falls is my wife’s favorite but we didn’t stop on our last trip. We heard it was flowing very heavy with all the rain. I have seen pictures of the path down and it doesn’t look fun so I know coming back up would be worse. :)

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
There is a trail down to the bottom of Wailua Falls but plan on staying all day. So take food and drinks. When we were there a few years ago some dumb haole jumped from the top of the falls. He did survive because some of the locals at the pool pulled him out. If you drive up Hwy 580 you can view Opaekaa Falls. Just pass the overlook for the Falls is a gravel road down to the Kamokila Hawaiian Village. You can rent Kayaks and see the Fern Grotto and Secret Falls. Remember the dock at Fern Grotto is only for the Smith Family Boat. We tied up next to the Dock and climbed out on the bank. The problem with Secret Falls is that it is a mile hike through occasionally rough terrain. We also kayaked as far up river as we could go. We always get 2 kayaks. We call a double kayak a "Divorce Boat."

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
There is a trail down to the bottom of Wailua Falls but plan on staying all day. So take food and drinks. When we were there a few years ago some dumb haole jumped from the top of the falls. He did survive because some of the locals at the pool pulled him out. If you drive up Hwy 580 you can view Opaekaa Falls. Just pass the overlook for the Falls is a gravel road down to the Kamokila Hawaiian Village. You can rent Kayaks and see the Fern Grotto and Secret Falls. Remember the dock at Fern Grotto is only for the Smith Family Boat. We tied up next to the Dock and climbed out on the bank. The problem with Secret Falls is that it is a mile hike through occasionally rough terrain. We also kayaked as far up river as we could go. We always get 2 kayaks. We call a double kayak a "Divorce Boat."

I've heard stories like this. And the term "dumb haole" often goes with it. When I was in high school on Oahu, one Winter there was a huge storm north of the islands, sending monstrous surf into the North Shore. 70 foot waves at Waimea were breaking outside, but the surge was rolling up the beach, across the parking lot, and up the hillside across the road. It was like nothing I'd ever seen here. A Marine from the base at Kaneohe fancied himself the best surfer ever, and he went out in that. They found half his surfboard, but never found him. I'll never understand the risks some people take like that.

"Divorce boat." I like that. The owner of Eddyline Kayaks is a good friend. I can't wait to tell him that one. He's probably heard it, but I think it's great. :)

Dave