• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2006] SVO Resale: Yes you can requalify/retro [MERGED]

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
"They also said the "cross property" deals had "business rules" and they were not sure if the specific offer would be approved."

Approval has to come from the other resort because inventory has to be traded. I've heard Orlando gets involved, too.

But, you should not sign anything until the approval is sought and granted.

And, you should not retro a resale week and purchase any developer week for $20K+ unless you want to get to 5 Star Elite and understand what that entails - lots and lots of timeshare-related expenditures and lots of travel planning to use up, convert or bank those 649,000+ StarOptions each year. Salty

Last edited:

Danjos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spinnaker and Sheraton oasis, Grandview
So if I get this right requalifing is not an option any longer it is just best to purchase a mandatory resale and call it a day?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
So if I get this right requalifing is not an option any longer it is just best to purchase a mandatory resale and call it a day?

Not quite correct - more complex than that.
You responded to a thread that hasn't had a response since 2012.
jarta - where are you?

Requalifications can still happen. The biggest problem (among others) is that you have to purchase from VSE to Requal and that most commonly involves >$20K in new money.

If going the Requal route - it is best to maximize the SOs of a V resort at a low cost and low MFs (resale M resorts already comes w/ SOs, but always best to maximize SO requal). As the SDO Plat (2Bd) mentioned in other post. Also, buy the resales(s) first.
The main goal should be too reach the 5* Elite /SPG Platinum level (w/ many caveats - 4* is not high enough) - it should be done by requalification unless money is unimportant. ;)

IMO <---- note

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends what your goal is. If it's to have 5* elite then requal of voluntary is still the best way. If you just want star options, then mandatory resales are better.

Danjos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess my goal is to have the ability to take advantage of going to different locations with the sco system. If I buy a mandatory unit that should allow me to travel to California,Hawaii, Arizona etc. Using options. I also own Sheraton Oasis 2L in platinum plus season. So since I am close to retirement I am looking to have a place fro 4 to 6 weeks in the winter to get away from the cold.
Thank you for the contributions so far I am educati. Myself as to how much I want to spend how much I need to spend.

Danjos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If your asking me I am in Niagara Falls canada

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not quite correct - more complex than that.
You responded to a thread that hasn't had a response since 2012.
jarta - where are you?

Requalifications can still happen. The biggest problem (among others) is that you have to purchase from VSE to Requal and that most commonly involves >$20K in new money.

If going the Requal route - it is best to maximize the SOs of a V resort at a low cost and low MFs (resale M resorts already comes w/ SOs, but always best to maximize SO requal). As the SDO Plat (2Bd) mentioned in other post. Also, buy the resales(s) first.
The main goal should be too reach the 5* Elite /SPG Platinum level (w/ many caveats - 4* is not high enough) - it should be done by requalification unless money is unimportant. ;)

IMO <---- note

Just to confirm, we just had a requalification close last week and this option is still available. We did a requalification of a 3 bedroom Nanea oceanfront unit - but first purchased a week for a few thousand but had trade in value of about 30+K, and bought an explorer package (for an extra bunch of Starpoints) - and wound up paying 27-28K (net) on the Westin Advenuras program (176,700 SO's). Now we are 4* Elite but our main goal was to get our Nanea requalified and we are looking forward to trying the new Cabo property. If done like this I feel it's still a great deal (of course it's a lot of $$) but you can absolutely still requalify or trade in weeks (even weeks purchased resale). Lots of valuable information here and I highly recommend reading the sticky notes in this forum. Good luck !

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to confirm, we just had a requalification close last week and this option is still available. We did a requalification of a 3 bedroom Nanea oceanfront unit - but first purchased a week for a few thousand but had trade in value of about 30+K, and bought an explorer package (for an extra bunch of Starpoints) - and wound up paying 27-28K (net) on the Westin Advenuras program (176,700 SO's). Now we are 4* Elite but our main goal was to get our Nanea requalified and we are looking forward to trying the new Cabo property. If done like this I feel it's still a great deal (of course it's a lot of $$) but you can absolutely still requalify or trade in weeks (even weeks purchased resale). Lots of valuable information here and I highly recommend reading the sticky notes in this forum. Good luck !

How much did you pay for the Nanea 3 bedroom resale?

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much did you pay for the Nanea 3 bedroom resale?

With closing costs, etc - $42K~. The good news is, that through a broker which has a booth in Whalers Village sold our WKORV-N OF for $30K in one day. After commissions to the selling broker, etc - it worked out to a ~17K "upgrade". Our family truly loves the 3 bedroom layout at Nanea and overall feel of the resort. Of course, now we have a voluntary resort which may not hold much value but sure beats paying $120K~ from the developer and we will use it for many, many years.

Palmtreelady1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a resale in Vistana courts in 2006 and in 2008 there was a program that i bought to get requalified so I could be gold status and starpoints ect. I can not for the life of me remember what the program was or how much I paid to get it. Does anyone remember?? I am looking to get another resale but want to make sure I don't loose that status that i currently have. I do not have any paperwork on it because i didn't know what i was doing then!
Thanks!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a resale in Vistana courts in 2006 and in 2008 there was a program that i bought to get requalified so I could be gold status and starpoints ect. I can not for the life of me remember what the program was or how much I paid to get it. Does anyone remember?? I am looking to get another resale but want to make sure I don't loose that status that i currently have. I do not have any paperwork on it because i didn't know what i was doing then!
Thanks!
You must be referring to a one-time offer for SVR resale owners, all phases except Cascades and Lakes, to enroll into SVN after the special assessment fees were paid. I think it was an additional $599. It was a one-off.

Palmtreelady1

TUG Member
Reaction score
You must be referring to a one-time offer for SVR resale owners, all phases except Cascades and Lakes, to enroll into SVN after the special assessment fees were paid. I think it was an additional $599. It was a one-off.
Yes!! That was it! Thanks It was an awesome deal!!! Wish I could do that again

bonsai27

Reaction score
This thread is great but is it still accurate in 2018? I haven’t seen anything recently on this. I believe the $20k minimum still applies. Please confirm the policies and concepts are accurate 7 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
I just traded in a week and only had to pay slightly over $10K. They also took and explorer package and retroed a week. I also got a bunch of SPG points. The product I bought was Westin Flex, and I traded Lagunamar Gold week. I think this type of transaction is very resort and salesperson specific. I don’t know whether they would have done this everywhere. Hope it helps.

Markus

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I, too, have traded and retroed with a $10K "new money" Flex purchase.

pbaby

Reaction score
I, too, have traded and retroed with a $10K "new money" Flex purchase.

Hi, can you share more details how this trade/retro worked? Were you able to trade and retro 2 different weeks with $10k new money, or are you referring to the same week? I currently own 2 weeks @148,100 StarOptions/week, bought directly from the developer. That’s before I knew about the possibility of retro. I am trying to make up the difference to get to 5 star elite via the most cost effective way.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
pbaby - With the Marriott merger looming, I certainly wouldn't do this now, because when the 2 programs merged, we don't know what is going to happen to Elite Status. Elite Status is not guaranteed - it can change radically, depending on what Marriott wants to do.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I wouldn’t put in any new money for the Flex product. Buy Mandatory resale that has value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Hi, can you share more details how this trade/retro worked? Were you able to trade and retro 2 different weeks with $10k new money, or are you referring to the same week? I currently own 2 weeks @148,100 StarOptions/week, bought directly from the developer. That’s before I knew about the possibility of retro. I am trying to make up the difference to get to 5 star elite via the most cost effective way.

I traded a single week and retroed a single week. I don't believe you can do two retros with a single purchase; I've only heard of it being 1:1. That's why people generally recommend retroing weeks worth 148K SOs or more. (I retroed a WSJ BV for 257K SOs).

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I wouldn’t put in any new money for the Flex product. Buy Mandatory resale that has value.

Different strokes for different folks. Flex isn't a great product but it does provide Home Reservation Priority for the east coast properties, including SBP, which is driving distance for us. It has also had the lowest "new money" threshold for upgrade/retro transactions. A mandatory resale doesn't have value if your goal is to get to 5*.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
pbaby - With the Marriott merger looming, I certainly wouldn't do this now, because when the 2 programs merged, we don't know what is going to happen to Elite Status. Elite Status is not guaranteed - it can change radically, depending on what Marriott wants to do.

I disagree. With or without a merger, none of the benefits of SVN or Elite status are guaranteed, and they never have been. Whether or not it makes sense to do this is subject to the same calculations as always, namely, can you afford the investment, can you make use of the Elite status benefit, are you comfortable with the risk that the benefits will go away, etc. I could even make the opposite argument, that historically existing owners have been grandfathered in whereas new owners are subjected to higher thresholds. It's entirely possible that after the Marriott merger is completed, that the thresholds for obtaining Elite status will go even higher. Standard disclaimers apply, e.g. caveat emptor, past performance is no guarantee of future results, etc.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I traded a single week and retroed a single week. I don't believe you can do two retros with a single purchase; I've only heard of it being 1:1. That's why people generally recommend retroing weeks worth 148K SOs or more. (I retroed a WSJ BV for 257K SOs).

Closest you can get in my experience is to retro each against a separate developer EOY. We "split" a WDW into odd/even once to do this. if you do this end of calendar year, you might be able to apply an Explorer against each transaction for the bonus points, one dated in late Dec and one dated in early Jan, as you could only hold one Explorer per calendar year.