• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Marbrisa ownership

Vkothari916

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow Tuggers. I am deciding on whether to purchase a resale timeshare at the Marbrisa resort in Carlsbad. My primary goal is to get access to HGVC points and not necessarily interested in the resort. Had a few questions for any Marbrisa owners out there and would really appreciate your guidance:

1) The deed is fixed to week 22 but also comes with HGVC points. How easy is to convert to points instead of the fixed week? If I wanted to stay at Marbrisa on occassion, but on a different week is that even possible?

2) The agent claims there is no estoppel from HGVC since they don’t have ROFR on the property. Instead the resort is managed by “Advanced Financial.” Does this sound accurate?

3) Is there a realistic chance that Marbrisa may lose access to the HGVC network in the future?

4) Are there any additional annual fees or expenses that come with Marbrisa compared to other HGVC developer resorts?

5) Any general caveats I should look for in the purchase contract prior to signing so I don’t end up losing any HGVC resale benefits?

First time purchaser of timeshare so your collective experience is greatly appreciated!

coronacars

Reaction score
Hello fellow Tuggers. I am deciding on whether to purchase a resale timeshare at the Marbrisa resort in Carlsbad. My primary goal is to get access to HGVC points and not necessarily interested in the resort. Had a few questions for any Marbrisa owners out there and would really appreciate your guidance:

1) The deed is fixed to week 22 but also comes with HGVC points. How easy is to convert to points instead of the fixed week? If I wanted to stay at Marbrisa on occassion, but on a different week is that even possible?

2) The agent claims there is no estoppel from HGVC since they don’t have ROFR on the property. Instead the resort is managed by “Advanced Financial.” Does this sound accurate?

3) Is there a realistic chance that Marbrisa may lose access to the HGVC network in the future?

4) Are there any additional annual fees or expenses that come with Marbrisa compared to other HGVC developer resorts?

5) Any general caveats I should look for in the purchase contract prior to signing so I don’t end up losing any HGVC resale benefits?

First time purchaser of timeshare so your collective experience is greatly appreciated!

1. I had, used, and then sold my marbrisa resort last year. it is easy to convert to points you just have to call them. They are booked a lot so switching weeks can be hard, but not impossible.

2. Yes they are managed at least for the maint fees by Advanced Financial.

3. HGVC has spent the bank on Marbrisa so I doubt they would sever that relationship. As well as other close timeshares including Sea Point, and the one right next to Lego Land.

4. Not sure. I think just taxes, HGVC fee, and a small reserve.

5. If you just want points this is not the place to buy. I would suggest Las Vegas. The reason is with Marbrisa they handle the transfer in house in Advanced Financial. They are not so great and charge more than other resorts for the transfer.

Vkothari916

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great thanks! But you mention “the resort next to Legoland” - isn’t that Marbrisa?

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas, Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (DRI), Worldmark
I recently purchased a MarBrisa unit and it went smoothly and it is through Advanced Financial. The transfer seemed to go fairly quickly (much faster than a Bay Club purchase that Lttransfers is currently working on for me) and there was no ROFR. If this is a former Grand Pacific MarBrisa unit, you will also gain access to the Grand Pacific exchange network and also expect to pay a $995 fee to requalify it into HGVC. I got the unit cheap enough that even with this fee the purchase was around .50 per point. The maintenance fee is rather high, but due to the savings on the overall price, it will take a while before the high fee outweighs the lower price.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
The other GPX resort is Palisades, its on the other side of LL from Marbrisa.

I had a good experience selling with Advanced Financial, did not need to use LTT. I sold a Seapointe and Advanced handled everything for $400, very quick and efficient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

coronacars

Reaction score
yes the Palisades resort. It is also managed by Advanced Financial at least for the maint fees, and transfers. Look on Ebay and look particularly at the transfer fee for Marbrisa and you will see what I mean. It is too much. That is what Advanced Financial is charging.

Vkothari916

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a MarBrisa unit and it went smoothly and it is through Advanced Financial. The transfer seemed to go fairly quickly (much faster than a Bay Club purchase that Lttransfers is currently working on for me) and there was no ROFR. If this is a former Grand Pacific MarBrisa unit, you will also gain access to the Grand Pacific exchange network and also expect to pay a $995 fee to requalify it into HGVC. I got the unit cheap enough that even with this fee the purchase was around .50 per point. The maintenance fee is rather high, but due to the savings on the overall price, it will take a while before the high fee outweighs the lower price.
Great thanks for the info! How long did the transfer take?

Vkothari916

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. I had, used, and then sold my marbrisa resort last year. it is easy to convert to points you just have to call them. They are booked a lot so switching weeks can be hard, but not impossible.

2. Yes they are managed at least for the maint fees by Advanced Financial.

3. HGVC has spent the bank on Marbrisa so I doubt they would sever that relationship. As well as other close timeshares including Sea Point, and the one right next to Lego Land.

4. Not sure. I think just taxes, HGVC fee, and a small reserve.

5. If you just want points this is not the place to buy. I would suggest Las Vegas. The reason is with Marbrisa they handle the transfer in house in Advanced Financial. They are not so great and charge more than other resorts for the transfer.
Marbrisa has a $995 transfer fee. Is that all or do resale owners also have to pay the Hilton $399 transfer fee and $560 point activation?

Frasier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC-Mabrisa Carlsbad, CA, HGVC-Bay Club, HI
Red Wolf Lakeside, Lake Tahoe,
Marbrisa has a $995 transfer fee. Is that all or do resale owners also have to pay the Hilton $399 transfer fee and $560 point activation?

I purchased MarBrisa 8,400 point resale last year and the only fee I paid was the $995.00 transfer fee. I paid no other transfer/point activation fees. I assume you may have a club activation fee if not already a club member. From contract signing to closing and interval appearing in my account was about eight weeks. I have fixed week 23. The fixed week reservation is automatically reflected in my account a couple years out. I can simply cancel the fixed week reservation online and the points appear almost immediately.

Vkothari916

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Frasier. Are you able to bank and borrow points as usual like with other HGVC resorts? Are all other benefits the same as the developer properties? First time timeshare owner so want to cross my t’s.

Frasier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC-Mabrisa Carlsbad, CA, HGVC-Bay Club, HI
Red Wolf Lakeside, Lake Tahoe,
Thank you Frasier. Are you able to bank and borrow points as usual like with other HGVC resorts? Are all other benefits the same as the developer properties? First time timeshare owner so want to cross my t’s.

Yes it works the same and I do not find any differences as far as using the points and/or saving and borrowing. I have a fixed week so I have to decide to use it or cancel and book at another property which I normally do as it is too much fun to try other properties. I have stayed at the MarBrisa a couple times and enjoyed it as well. My MarBrisa interval is also part of Grand Pacific (sounds like some intervals may not be) which gives me access to their trading platform which has a number of other properties you can trade into as well as they offer some cash deals on weekly rentals at these other properties.

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We use our resale Marbrisa for points and they have worked well. Also we were told that for "trade in" purposes (if you desire to purchase another HGVC) Marbrisa qualifies unlike other affiliated resorts. Note this was from a sales person so who knows?

Harry

spdhanr

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do we trade-in? I have a EOY Platinum Bay Club and am looking to see if I should move to a lower MF resort. Does the Bayclub qualify for a trade-in

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
How do we trade-in? I have a EOY Platinum Bay Club and am looking to see if I should move to a lower MF resort.

One way is to trade-in with developer and purchase another more expensive unit. This, of course, would probably be pretty high cost.

Second way is to sell your unit via resales/tug/ebay/redweek etc. and purchase another resales unit.

Hopefully, some others might have ideas.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
One way is to trade-in with developer and purchase another more expensive unit. This, of course, would probably be pretty high cost.

I'm curious, if I purchased resale, and paid say $10k... but the original sales price was $80k, and decided to go this route... would the credit be $10k that I paid, or $80k for the original sales price?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I'm curious, if I purchased resale, and paid say $10k... but the original sales price was $80k, and decided to go this route... would the credit be $10k that I paid, or $80k for the original sales price?

HGVC will know that you bought resale but won't know (really they should because it will be on the estoppel, but the salesperson won't know. {ie. it won't be on their printout}). They will probably ask you, but you don't need to say. They will know what the original price is. If it were me, I would ask for a credit on the original price. Actually, I just did that but what they were trying to sell me (Ocean Tower) was way too much anyway (plus, I wasn't interested anyway). I was just seeing what HGVC would do.

Now, if you are talking Valdoro, then I would believe that is different. Many affiliates such as Valdoro will have their own in-house resales person. So, I wouldn't expect you to get full amount.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score

They would credit you the original purchase price, which in your hypothetical would be $80k. Some of us have been approached with this offer. They have a formula of how much "new" money you have to bring in to the trade and what properties would qualify.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC will know that you bought resale but won't know (really they should because it will be on the estoppel, but the salesperson won't know. {ie. it won't be on their printout}). They will probably ask you, but you don't need to say. They will know what the original price is. If it were me, I would ask for a credit on the original price. Actually, I just did that but what they were trying to sell me (Ocean Tower) was way too much anyway (plus, I wasn't interested anyway). I was just seeing what HGVC would do.

Now, if you are talking Valdoro, then I would believe that is different. Many affiliates such as Valdoro will have their own in-house resales person. So, I wouldn't expect you to get full amount.

They would credit you the original purchase price, which in your hypothetical would be $80k. Some of us have been approached with this offer. They have a formula of how much "new" money you have to bring in to the trade and what properties would qualify.

Thank you both for the info. It was a hypothetical, I don't intend to make any changes any time soon, just curious.

DLAU81

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
2X MarBrisa
Kingsland
We use our resale Marbrisa for points and they have worked well. Also we were told that for "trade in" purposes (if you desire to purchase another HGVC) Marbrisa qualifies unlike other affiliated resorts. Note this was from a sales person so who knows?

Harry

I’m thinking of doing a “trade in” for both our MarBrisa units and wanted to double check to make sure they are eligible - that way i can prepare for what the HGVC has in store for the trade in and “new” monies involved. I’m hoping to get 100% credit for what was pd to developer.