• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Worldmark exchange in II (Marriott Custom House)

NewbieMom

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone with this experience could help me decide whether or not it's worth it to join Interval. I have a Worldmark account, but have never exchanged before. I am not currently enrolled in RCI or II. I'm thinking about joining II solely for exchanging into Marriott's Custom House. We have relatives in Boston and are looking to visit every few years. If I join Interval and setup an OGS for the months of June, July, and August (only times I could go), how likely would I get a match? It doesn't matter if we go this year, next, or 2020. I can setup the search for as far out as allowed (is that 2 years? 3 years?) But if I'm not likely to ever get a match, there's no point in signing up for Interval.

Anyone with experience exchanging to the custom house? Any other properties in Boston that I could try for? I'm only aware of this one, and we don't want to rent a car while there. TIA!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is extremely unlikely that you will get a match using WM for the months of June, July and August regardless of which year to Custom House. Firstly, those weeks are hardly ever deposited into II. Secondly, Marriott has Marriott priority in exchanging, which means that any Marriott weeks that get deposited will be matched to other Marriott OGS for about 24 days so it is safe to assume that close to zero will make it out of the 24 days for non-Marriott weeks to exchange into. There may be a last minute deposit, like within a week of travel, which to most people it will not be useful.

NewbieMom

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I suspected this would be a difficult exchange.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know for an OGS but I can answer for the left over inventory (manual search).

If you can travel at the last minute (< 30 days), it's possible with a non-Marriott's to get Marriott's Pulse Boston.
I saw at last minute last year, all check-in weeks of July and August 2017.

If you can't travel at the last minute, it will be difficult but not impossible.
Last month I saw 2 times June 15, 2018 check-in. I saw it April 3, 2018 (73 days in advance) and I saw it April 18, 2018 (58 days in advance).
Nov 24, 2017, I saw June 1st, 2018 check-in (189 days in advance).
April 9, 2017, I saw July 21, 2017 check-in (103 days in advance).

I saw all those check-in dates using my DRI points.

NewbieMom

Reaction score
I don't know for an OGS but I can answer for the left over inventory (manual search).

If you can travel at the last minute (< 30 days), it's possible with a non-Marriott's to get Marriott's Pulse Boston.
I saw at last minute last year, all check-in weeks of July and August 2017.

If you can't travel at the last minute, it will be difficult but not impossible.
Last month I saw 2 times June 15, 2018 check-in. I saw it April 3, 2018 (73 days in advance) and I saw it April 18, 2018 (58 days in advance).
Nov 24, 2017, I saw June 1st, 2018 check-in (189 days in advance).
April 9, 2017, I saw July 21, 2017 check-in (103 days in advance).

I saw all those check-in dates using my DRI points.

Wow, thank you for the details. Over the months of June-August, I can usually travel <30 days. The only potential problem would be the price of last minute airfare. I don't want to save on lodging, but pay through the roof for airfare.

But it sounds like there's a good chance of finding something. Maybe I'll sign up for Interval for a year, and see what I can get. If nothing, I'll just cancel after the year's up.

Thank you.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, thank you for the details. Over the months of June-August, I can usually travel <30 days. The only potential problem would be the price of last minute airfare. I don't want to save on lodging, but pay through the roof for airfare.

But it sounds like there's a good chance of finding something. Maybe I'll sign up for Interval for a year, and see what I can get. If nothing, I'll just cancel after the year's up.

Thank you.
A very recent example of last minute: yesterday there was June 1 and June 15 2018 available for everybody. June 1 was available on and off for almost 12 hrs but June 15 was there for less than 15 min. So, an OGS is recommended with a regular manual search to maximize your success (II OGS is not perfect)

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The June 1st yesterday was also available with an AC.

headoflife

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is annoying. I have an OGS for Custom House for any date from now until June 28th, and never matched. I saw the June 1 sighting posted, but didn't say anything because Any suggestions on why my OGS picked up neither of these? my mom has been ill, but the 15th I would have grabbed. Any thoughs on why my OGS picked up neither week, and what I can do about that?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

NewbieMom

Reaction score
Accomodation Certificate. You may have one in your Interval account under the "my units" tab.

Ah, I haven't joined Interval yet so I haven't learned all the terms. Rookie question: you mentioned "The June 1st yesterday was also available with an AC." Wouldn't a search show what's available (if it's available)? Or does the manual search sometimes show availability while an AC doesn't, or vice versa?

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
An Accommodation Certificate is a type of coupon. It allows you to purchase specific weeks at specific resorts for a certain "redemption fee". You do not exchange your week. The inventory which is made available for Accommodation Certificates is usually low-season, or excess inventory, or units with a very close check-in date.

In the above example, someone noticed that the June 1 check-in date at Marriott's Custom House was available not only as an exchange, but also for cash with an Accommodation Certificate. In most cases, one would choose to use the accommodation certificate, and save the home week to trade somewhere else.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
II gives people ACs for various things and each seem to have their own trade power.

The best ones are usually given for deposit of a desired , are good for a year and you can put in an OGS against them. This one cost me $299 to use. Not bad for a weeks vacation!

Sometimes the have specials: Purchase a getaway, make an exchange and get one. These are typically only good for flex time (60 days or less from time of travel).

Then sometimes they just give you one for free (otherwise knows as a freebie AC) you don't have to do anything to get one. These still cost money to exchange. I have two right now and one is $199 and the other is $249. They each "see" different things, but the $199 usually sees better last minute stuff. This is what I used to see the Custom House earlier this week. All I would have had to do is pay the $199 or $249 fee to use (can't remember which one) and the week would have been mine. Awesome deal - I was able to grab one last summer at CH with an AC. Sox were in town so we spend 3 nights there and the other 4 went unused.

To the person that didn't match one of these units with your OGS - my guess is maybe too close to check-in. I know RCI stops the search 2 weeks prior to check-in...I'm not sure what II does.

NewbieMom

Reaction score
Ah, got it. It sounds like there are other benefits to joining besides exchanging my WM points. These "bonuses" sound like an awesome deal! $199 or even $249 is a steal for a week, without actually having to use my points. I have plans for my WM points already for next year so if I could get one of these bonus weeks, that would be great.

I think I'll try to find a 2 for 1 code, and join to learn the ropes of exchanging. I saw another post with a code but it's only valid for existing members.

Thanks everyone for the explanations!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
That is annoying. I have an OGS for Custom House for any date from now until June 28th, and never matched. I saw the June 1 sighting posted, but didn't say anything because Any suggestions on why my OGS picked up neither of these? my mom has been ill, but the 15th I would have grabbed. Any thoughs on why my OGS picked up neither week, and what I can do about that?
What are you using for your ongoing search? It might not have had enough strength. Alternatively, this one was picked up with an ongoing search by someone ahead of you and then released. It doesn't necessarily get held for the overnight batch on the searches. Cancellations often get released into general inventory within an hour of being released and if it is taken before the next overnight batch checks for matches to OGS then it gets picked up without ever being checked against ongoing searches.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The issue is that II does not automatically match to OGS when it is within 30 days. This is the exact verbiage: "You may be confirmed without contact up to 30-days prior to the travel date requested for a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday check-in for any resorts included in your request."

headoflife

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought that meant that they could match without telling me, but not that they would simply not check for OGS. The whole issue of the unit being let go, and then picked up before the next overnight batch makes sense, even if it is frustrating, but I thought at least one of those units sat around for a few days.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought that meant that they could match without telling me, but not that they would simply not check for OGS. The whole issue of the unit being let go, and then picked up before the next overnight batch makes sense, even if it is frustrating, but I thought at least one of those units sat around for a few days.
I believe once inside 30 days, the auto matching is turned off. An agent may manually check but you know that agents get to them only if they have time.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
About five years ago I put in an ongoing search for Boston with my WM account and got a match in the fall for a July week. I was only searching for July and August so it is not impossible to get.

Joan