• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pictures from our stay at the The District by Hilton Club

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Here are pictures from my recent stay at the The District by Hilton Club in Washington DC.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/albums/72157693467845802

Last year we had a cash stay at the Homewood Suites at Navy Yard. This year we decided to use our HGVC points to stay at the The District by Hilton Club.

The District is a few blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro Stop (see map below).
NOTE: We found the WMATA Trip Planner tool very helpful - https://www.wmata.com/schedules/trip-planner/

Foggy Bottom Metro Stop.jpg

The District by Hilton Club is located on the top 3 floors of the Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington DC Georgetown hotel. According to Wikipedia, the building opened in October 1987.

The Embassy Suites offers
  • Breakfast from 6:30am – 9:30am weekdays, 7am – 10:30am weekends.
  • The Evening Reception is offered from 5:30pm-7:30pm, daily. The Evening Reception was complimentary drinks, tortilla chips, melted cheese, salsa, veggie platter, and either (potato chips, pretezel nuggets or asian trail mix)
The District emailed the following PreArrival Letter one day prior to my stay (see below) as well as a Pre-Arrival offer (see attachments).

Good afternoon,
Thank you for choosing The District by Hilton Club for your upcoming stay. We would like to offer our assistance to ensure a flawless stay. In anticipation of your arrival, we would like to inform you of our amenities.

The District by Hilton Club occupies the top three floors of the Embassy Suites Georgetown, with check-in located on the 8th floor. Please visit http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/district-of-columbia/the-district-by-hilton-club-WASVCGV/index.html for more details about our location and offerings.

To better serve you:

• Check-in is located on the 8th floor, open from 6:30 a.m. – 11:15 p.m. Overnight Check-in is on the Lobby Level at the Embassy Suites front desk.
  • Contact us with red-eye arrivals and other early check-in needs. Requests subject to availability.
  • Self-parking is offered and subject to availability at $49.00 per night, per vehicle. Overflow parking is available 1 block away.
  • Our Kitchenettes, while not a full kitchen, come with a microwave, wine cooler (can serve as a fridge) and glassware.
  • Our partnership with Embassy Suites allows you to enjoy the complimentary Made-to-Order Breakfast as well as the complimentary Evening Reception, on the Lobby Level

If you have any specific requests or an estimated arrival time you have not previously shared with us, we would be happy to receive this information to ensure your satisfaction. Kindly address any requests by replying to this E-Mail or direct phone at 202-449-xxxx or you can simply text us at 202-830-xxxx.

To further clarify your accommodations, all 1-Bedroom Suites have one King bed in the bedroom and one queen sofa bed in the living area. All 2-bedroom suites are two adjoining 1-bedroom suites, with one King in each bedroom and one sofa bed in each living area; a total of 2 beds and 2 sofa beds.

We look forward to seeing you tomorrow. At The District by Hilton Club, as our valued owners and guests, our priority is to ensure that your stay is memorable.

Safe Travels!

Attachments

• FINAL Pre-Arrival Offers, 5.1.18.pdf
    354.8 KB · Views: 101
  • NEW HILTON CLUB - Elevated Rewards Partner Listing - RECOMMENDATIONS.pdf
    130.4 KB · Views: 539

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Really appreciate the time you take for the pictures and info. Your pics are fantastic!!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I forgot to include the documents we received upon checkin (see attachment).

It contains basic information about the hotel, nearby restaurants and food delivery options.
The first three pages were provided by the District checkin desk (with a reference to The District at the top).
The last two pages were provided by the Concierge desk in the Lobby.

Attachments

• TheDistrict-EmbassySuites-HiltonClub-Offerings-RestList.pdf
    606.2 KB · Views: 102

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, how are these suites different from just the regular Embassy Suites rooms? Seem about the same to me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I've never stayed at this hotel before.:shrug:
Since we didn't have any HGVC trips planned for next year, I simply canceled my cash reservation at the Homewood Suites Navy Pier and used my 2019 HGVC points.

Based on the photos on TripAdvisor and the Embassy Suite website, the rooms look pretty similar (see Embassy Suite room photos below).
- http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en...n-washington-dc-georgetown-WASDNES/index.html
- https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=1

From the Embassy Suites website

ES_livingroom001.jpg
ES_livingroom002_386x310_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpg

ES_livingroomkitchen01_4_386x310_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpg
ES_bathroom01_5_386x310_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpg

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, for taking the time and sharing your photos of The District by Hilton, Washington, DC.
They are all outstanding.:thumbup:

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, how are these suites different from just the regular Embassy Suites rooms? Seem about the same to me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The pictures to me look just like a cookie cutter embassy suites too. I happen to like embassy suites, when the price isn’t astronomical.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't even beef up the kitchenette area even a little bit. Put in range top burner or at least a toaster oven.

It looks exactly the same as every other Embassy Suites room. You just book it on points. Just a way for HGVC to say they're building new locations?

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to be honest, I'm not really enamored by the lack of differentiation between the "Embassy Suites" and the "by Hilton Club" rooms. I wonder if this is how the "by Hilton Club" intends to expand... just grab some existing rooms and charge points for them instead of ca$h.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@alwysonvac thank u for the detailed trip report. We have a 4 day stay coming up in June and will be staying one night at the hotel on Hhonors points so will be able to compare.

Glad to know that we have access to the Embassy Suites breakfast because I have a hungry teen. The evening reception looks sparse. Perhaps the private owners lounge has better fare because W57 lounge fare will often suffice as a meal.

IMO the bathroom at District looks upgraded however I am looking on a phone so perhaps my eyesight is off.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to be honest, I'm not really enamored by the lack of differentiation between the "Embassy Suites" and the "by Hilton Club" rooms. I wonder if this is how the "by Hilton Club" intends to expand... just grab some existing rooms and charge points for them instead of ca$h.

Dots on a map.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
FWIW...Building HGVC inside an existing Hilton hotel and leveraging the hotel amenities helps to ensure that that HGVC won't be easily taken over by a competing hotel/TS brand.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW...Building HGVC inside an existing Hilton hotel and leveraging the hotel amenities helps to ensure that that HGVC won't be easily taken over by a competing hotel/TS brand.

I like the idea of building out a couple of floors in existing hotels. However, if they are not going to redesign the rooms into one, two, three beds units with a living room, kitchen, etc... and the HGVC rooms are exactly the same as all of the other rooms in the hotel, and all we are doing is exchanging points for a room instead of cash, then I am less impressed with it.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Sapper I agree the value proposition at the District is weak. My sense is that the NYC Residences are differentiated from the Hilton NYC midtown hotel rooms in size and furnishings, but would defer to someone who has purchased there to elaborate.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The pictures to me look just like a cookie cutter embassy suites too. I happen to like embassy suites, when the price isn’t astronomical.

If I didn't know these were pix of The District by Hilton Club, I'd think for sure they were of the Embassy Suites. This is not a complaint, just an observation.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised to hear they give the ES breakfast and happy hour to HGVC guests, as they could easily decide otherwise (for however successful they'd be trying to control who got it and who didn't). ES breakfasts and happy hour are usually pretty solid, and it's a decent cost savings over what you'd pay for the same anywhere in DC.

ES happy hour was never intended to be much of a meal, but still a nice way to wind down at the end of the day.

Great post and great pix. Thanks very much!

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I think the furniture and finishes look nicer in the Club rooms vs. the basic ES rooms. But they do look very similar.

We don't visit DC very often, so personally would not buy there, but i am sure there are many that visit frequently enough.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
At least they're making it easy to determine whether to use cash or points. If renting thru the website is cheaper than paying the MF's on the points required for a stay, I'm paying cash and renting the room unless I have absolutely no other use for the points.

This trend of timeshares "converting" hotel rooms to "timeshare units" is actually annoying to me. I own timeshare so I don't have to stay in a hotel room. Only when they truly convert an area into a 1,2 or 3 bedroom timeshare unit will I have much interest. The only saving grace is, when we do stay in hotels, we tend to stay in hotels that offer 1 bedroom units such as Embassy Suites. Otherwise we prefer to avoid hotels all together unless is one night only on a long car trip.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed on W57 ..Do we have free drinks and snacks? I am not elite. I just own 8.5k. thanks

AFAIK, only folks who *own* at W57 can get the owners lounge with drinks/snacks. Since I don't own though, I cannot tell you what they have there--LOL.
With the $85 cleaning fee, it's almost always cheaper for me to just stay in a regular Hilton that'll give me free breakfast as well.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
At least they're making it easy to determine whether to use cash or points. If renting thru the website is cheaper than paying the MF's on the points required for a stay, I'm paying cash and renting the room unless I have absolutely no other use for the points.

This trend of timeshares "converting" hotel rooms to "timeshare units" is actually annoying to me. I own timeshare so I don't have to stay in a hotel room. Only when they truly convert an area into a 1,2 or 3 bedroom timeshare unit will I have much interest. The only saving grace is, when we do stay in hotels, we tend to stay in hotels that offer 1 bedroom units such as Embassy Suites. Otherwise we prefer to avoid hotels all together unless is one night only on a long car trip.

I agree.
For this trip, it made sense to use our points since it was cheaper than our cash reservation @ Homewood Suites.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We have stayed at the hotel portion of the properties in Midtown/Residences/HCNY and District and have access to hotel lounges/embassy breakfast bundled in the stay. Other than a more luxurious bathroom I am not sure how different?

FWIW an experienced NYC sales rep admitted to us that the more affluent buyers tend to prefer W57 because it is a separate property e.g. lobby is more like a private fractional and quieter vs. crowded Hilton midtown hotel lobby. The location is upscale with Carnegie Hall down the block, only 2 blocks from Central Park, and some of the most expensive condos in NYC and the Park Hyatt across the street. (When we tell a New Yorker that we are staying on West 57th, their eyebrows raise and they seem impressed.) Plus it has been reported by Tuggers that the lounge is nicer than HCNY (I have never stayed at HCNY so cannot compare).

He had been trying to sell us on the Residences and didn't have any W57 upgrade inventory to sell us at the time so he admitted that at the end when he walked us out.

Hilton Club offers a different value proposition:
  • Some small business owners buy into The Hilton Club to house themselves and their employees while conducting business in the city. I believe the District will fall into this category.
  • Another segment it attracts are suburbanites who want a nice place to stay after dinner and a show so they don't have to drive home.
  • West coast and Europeans like NYC as a stop off point for a few days or a week to acclimate to time zone changes before they connect to either west coast or European flights. (we have done this.)
  • I would imagine that San Francisco will have a similar proposition for Asian and east coast travelers incl. Hawaii. To this end, SF may be marketed heavily to Asian HGVC owners.

Last edited: