• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Very little availability

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I decided to take a look at the on property studio availability in the 7 month window. Granted, I can't see duplicate availability (SSR most likely.) But I counted 202 rooms available throughout the seven month window with 2011 studios available.

So, 214 days with 202 studios out of 2011. Those are some really bad odds (or great ones for DVD.)

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I decided to take a look at the on property studio availability in the 7 month window. Granted, I can't see duplicate availability (SSR most likely.) But I counted 202 rooms available throughout the seven month window with 2011 studios available.

So, 214 days with 202 studios out of 2011. Those are some really bad odds (or great ones for DVD.)

Are you a DVC member? If so, there is availability at Cooper Creek right now as well as SSR and Old Key West. At the 7 month mark, you can also get AK and Aulani fairly easily. We just made a bunch of changes to our reservations and were quite pleased with the results as DVC members.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

DVC is like any other timeshare based on 100% occupancy year around. I acknowledge that most timeshares never or rarely reaches anything closely to 100%. This is however different with dvc as they almost always reach close to 100% occupancy. During “fall frenzy” the 100% or close to it is reached faster than during summer time. It’s not uncommon to find availability 6-5 months out for the summer months but during the fall you need to book 11 months out to secure the room and view type you want. Certain room types are gone 2sec past 8am 11 months out when the booking window opens other rooms last longer but not past 7 months or even close to it.

This is due to dvc being so popular, so members use their points on a yearly basis and points rarely go unused. In other timeshare systems weeks or points aren’t used every year and goes more frequently unused.

With that being said SSR is always the last resort to fill, which is why dvc only or always deposits SSR into RCI

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

That's as it should be. Anything after day one 7 months out is pure gravy and many options won't be available even then esp for studios. IMO understanding and using the wait list and 11 month window is key. This is one of the reasons that buying off property for WDW is a risky venture that would require significant savings to be reasonable.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Isn't 7 months out for the end of December... Christmas week? I'm surprised there's much of anything at all.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't 7 months out for the end of December... Christmas week? I'm surprised there's much of anything at all.

First two weeks of December is very busy for Dvc and the rest is also busy so don’t expect to find anything during that month if you do it’s luck.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am a DVC member and I see a lot of availability for early December.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a DVC member and I see a lot of availability for early December.
For the 1st week of dec I only see very limited availability for studios not even close to a whole week.

Are you looking at all resorts or only resorts at wdw?

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
This is why I bought my 2nd DVC where I want to be staying most of the time (Poly).
The renters want studios so they are what is going to get booked first.
Owners also want them to points stretch and since most are sleeping 5 now
well it's sardines to save money on the room so you can afford the parks.

This is surely now a place where you buy where you want to stay the most.
I own most of my points in SSR and rarely stay there but then I am an off
season traveler and actually prefer Kidani and have always gotten it when
I want it. Maybe cause it's off the beaten path and inconvenient to the parks
for people without a car. I just love the theming.

Use the waitlist if you aren't getting what you want.
I've had luck with it too in getting some really nice surprise ressies.
I've not set them up myself online, I always let the reps do it.
Not sure it makes a difference but so far so good.
I even got a BCV President's weekend WL once.
Anything is possible with a little pixie dust.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I booked 2 studios and 2 two bedrooms at Aulani at the seven month window over the last few days and was pleasantly surprised to get everything I wanted. Even booked a standard view studio and island garden view which surprised me. I did it right at 8 a.m. when the 7 month window opened up.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just upgraded a 1 bedroom at Aulani to a 2 bedroom for our trip later this year. It was not available when I first checked. Then I checked last week, and it was available for our travel dates. At first, we wanted to save the points so that is why we booked the 1 br. But then we changed our mind bc a 2 br is not that many more points. We are on a wait list right now to switch from the Poly lake view studio to a overwater bungalow (thinking we will splurge on this for 2 nights if we can get the dates we want, otherwise save it for another trip). One of the days is available but not the second day, unless I change dates by one day, but that would cut into our Animal Kingdom days. Overall, I have not found it hard at all to book what we want at DVC because we bought 5 home resorts. Last minute changes esp in popular times are harder, but we knew that so we are happy if we can get a change at 6 months or less.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is why I bought my 2nd DVC where I want to be staying most of the time (Poly).
The renters want studios so they are what is going to get booked first.
Owners also want them to points stretch and since most are sleeping 5 now
well it's sardines to save money on the room so you can afford the parks.

This is surely now a place where you buy where you want to stay the most.
I own most of my points in SSR and rarely stay there but then I am an off
season traveler and actually prefer Kidani and have always gotten it when
I want it. Maybe cause it's off the beaten path and inconvenient to the parks
for people without a car. I just love the theming.

Use the waitlist if you aren't getting what you want.
I've had luck with it too in getting some really nice surprise ressies.
I've not set them up myself online, I always let the reps do it.
Not sure it makes a difference but so far so good.
I even got a BCV President's weekend WL once.
Anything is possible with a little pixie dust.

We are going to WDW for 10 days before Thanksgiving (right before the points value goes up). There is still a lot of availability for Old Key West and Saratoga Springs but everything else appears to be mainly booked. We are staying at VGF, AK and Poly. However, when I called this week to see if we could upgrade from the Poly lake view studio to a bungalow, a Cooper Creek 2 bedroom was available at this late date. It is gone now , of course. We decided to go on the wait list for the bungalow but it we don't get it, we are perfectly happy with our Poly lake view studio.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For the 1st week of dec I only see very limited availability for studios not even close to a whole week.

Are you looking at all resorts or only resorts at wdw?

You are right. I just checked again and there is very little availability at this point for early December except at OKW and SS. I must have been looking at the Poly bungalows when I did the search.

Last edited:

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I was able to book at exactly 7 months a 2 bedroom VWL (Boulder Ridge) unit during Christmas week. I am thrilled I was able to switch the Saratoga reservation I made at 11 months to the lodge for our friends. Granted I booked right at 8 am when the window opened! Have I mentioned I LOVE my Disney SSR points? :D

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
I was able to book a 1 bedroom BLT Lake View at exactly 8 am 7 months out for the 3rd week of October. There was a lot to choose from besides BLT. We would have loved Poly but then they are all studios and we are 4 adults, so we try and avoid studios to save our sanity. If we had wanted a studio at Poly we could have reserved it.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had 17 points left for my 2018 usage year and wanted to add a studio for our arrival day in November since we figure that is a "wasted" day by the time we check in after a long flight from California. I have been looking a few times a day since yesterday and I just booked a Boulder Creek studio for 16 points for one night on arrival day, which happens to be a Saturday. After that, we move to a VGF 1 br for 5 nights, AK 1 br for 3 nights and then we will travel down to Vero Beach for 2 nights in a 2 BR and end in Miami for 3 nights at Ritz Carlton Coconut Grove (using Marriott Rewards Points). It will be a 2 week trip. I think both DVC and MVC are fabulous!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I had 17 points left for my 2018 usage year and wanted to add a studio for our arrival day in November since we figure that is a "wasted" day by the time we check in after a long flight from California. I have been looking a few times a day since yesterday and I just booked a Boulder Creek studio for 16 points for one night on arrival day, which happens to be a Saturday. After that, we move to a VGF 1 br for 5 nights, AK 1 br for 3 nights and then we will travel down to Vero Beach for 2 nights in a 2 BR and end in Miami for 3 nights at Ritz Carlton Coconut Grove (using Marriott Rewards Points). It will be a 2 week trip. I think both DVC and MVC are fabulous!

Were you able to book a savanna view unit at AK? We've really enjoyed them.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We're you able to book a savanna view unit at AK? We've really enjoyed them.

I booked a 1 br Value room at AK so I do not know what I will get. I am hoping we will see the savannah from the room.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Folks may be amazed by this but I had a Poly deluxe studio lake view. Poly is one of my home resorts. I just canceled it because I thought we were spending too many days at Disney and switched to a 2 br in Vero Beach. Someone got very lucky and snagged my Poly studio at less than 6 months out. So if you are constantly looking online on DVC, things do become available at later dates.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
The value rooms at AK Jambo House are mostly parking lot views.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I booked a 1 br Value room at AK so I do not know what I will get. I am hoping we will see the savannah from the room.

I believe that will be a standard view unit which means no savanna view. Do DVC owners ever get a free upgrade?

Your schedule makes for a lot of changing resorts and gap times between check out and checking back in. You will be packing and unpacking every few days. That can get old real quick and can waste/tie up a lot of your time. If you have the option at picking up more nights at one of the places you are staying, I would highly recommend doing that.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe that will be a standard view unit which means no savanna view. Do DVC owners ever get a free upgrade?

Your schedule makes for a lot of changing resorts and gap times between check out and checking back in. You will be packing and unpacking every few days. That can get old real quick and can waste/tie up a lot of your time. If you have the option at picking up more nights at one of the places you are staying, I would highly recommend doing that.

I am fine with that. I prefer to experience different resorts for now. DVC moves our luggage. I do not think there is gap time because we will be busy during the day. We just take the monorail or boat to our next hotel. We need to drive down to Miami so breaking up the drive into 2 hours trips seems better to us. We travel with just carry on luggage.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The value rooms at AK Jambo House are mostly parking lot views.

I have heard that many have savannah view but it's the luck of the draw. If we are not happy this year, we will book Savannah view next year.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This year and next year, we were trying to maximize number of days in the best accommodations possible since we have an annual pass. However, since we made our reservations, we care less about maximizing days than having space and comfort. Hence, we booked a 2 bedroom at Vero. It's too late now to upgrade all our other reservations for WDW. We just upgraded to a 2 br for Aulani. Next year, we will focus on views, space and comfort even if we get fewer days. I would love to use our points for the Poly Bungalows, maybe next year. The problem is if we get the Poly Bungalows, I would never leave the room.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
This year and next year, we were trying to maximize number of days in the best accommodations possible since we have an annual pass. However, since we made our reservations, we care less about maximizing days than having space and comfort. Hence, we booked a 2 bedroom at Vero. It's too late now to upgrade all our other reservations for WDW. We just upgraded to a 2 br for Aulani. Next year, we will focus on views, space and comfort even if we get fewer days. I would love to use our points for the Poly Bungalows, maybe next year. The problem is if we get the Poly Bungalows, I would never leave the room.

From what I've heard about Aulani you will love it.

Can you only get a limited number of upgrades or only get the upgrades at the time of booking? We aren't DVC owners do I'm curious about how it works with them.

Since they will transfer your stuff changing resorts shouldn't be the big inconvenience i was imagining.