• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Sales Presentation (aka Owner Update)

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I haven’t done a HGVC presentation since 2010.

Honestly, I absolutely hate going to presentations because of the lies but my DH talked me into it after they offered both the $100 Visa gift card and $100 HGVC Elevated Reward (which we used for dinner at the onsite restaurant District Tap).

So for the presentation, I decided to take a different approach - act dumb to see how far they would go and use this as a learning experience to warning folks what they’re currently telling folks at these sales presentation.

Here’s what the sales person laid out (see photo).

1AF4654E-9778-4699-99AC-60A085115380.jpeg

He started his drawing from the bottom and worked his way up.
He starts by telling us that HGVC provides us with access to 70 resorts at 9 months, Silver Honors Status and 25:1 HGVC conversion rate. For the years that we don’t we use our HGVC POINTS, we can put them in our VAULT (or as he called it our 401V) where they never expire.

LOL, at that point DH asked the salesman what is the VAULT? Is that something new? and then DH looked at me. I said it was our HILTON HONORS account before the salesman had a chance to reply. Lol, I should have kept my mouth shut to see how the salesman would have replied. DH knew how bad that idea was and didn’t say a word. :rolleyes:

The salesman went on to tell us that most members are unaware that they can use their points for Airfare, Cruises, Car Rental and Hotels. He said with HGVC members can basically leave their credit cards at home when they travel and use their HGVC points for everything. :p

The salesman said they have this new program “By Hilton Club”. This is our one time opportunity to upgrade into this new program. If we don’t upgrade today then we need to sign that we decided to deny this one time upgrade offer. He said “By Hilton Club”will have locations in DC, Chicago, Charleston, Barbados, Boston, San Francisco and NYC.

He went on to say if we buy 5100 Points today, as a “By Hilton Club” owner, we’ll have access to these urban locations as well as the 70 HGVC resorts, Honors Gold Status, 50:1 Honors Conversion Rate, Inclusive Fee and Right of First Refusal.

He said some Elite members were mad about this new program since 14k Elite owners spend around $96k with HGVC. HOWEVER HGVC is offering 100% equity towards this new program. I asked him what season was the 5100 Points associated with and how much did it cost? He told us that 5,100 Points was for a one bedroom at the District during Gold Season and it was selling for $36k. I thought is was odd that they no longer provide a price sheet but I guess it’s how they get folks to buy the lowest option available without explaining how the program works then hit buyers with an upgrade later.

The salesman asked if we wanted to proceed so he could begin to work the numbers.
That’s when he looked into his folder and discovered we were resale owners. His records showed the last time we took a sales presentation was in 2010 as a result of a VIP Package.

At that point, he said you’re resale owners, you’re not going to buy. You probably bought your week for $2,000. I corrected the salesman saying that it wasn’t $2k since we bought resale years ago. Lol, then DH took the opportunity to also point out that HGVC has ROFR on HGVC resorts too and their decline allowed us to buy resale.

The salesman let us go and we got our free gifts for the presentation.

Update: Fixed typos

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I haven’t done a HGVC presentation since 2010.

Honestly, I absolutely hate going to presentations because of the lies but my DH talked me into it after they offered both the $100 Visa gift card and $100 HGVC Elevated Reward (which we used for dinner at the onsite restaurant District Tap).

So for the presentation I decided to take a different approach - act dumb to see how far they would go and use this as a learning experience to warning folks what they’re currently telling folks at these sales presentation.

Here’s what the sales person laid out (see photos).

View attachment 6717

He started his drawing from the bottom and worked his way up.
He starts by telling us that HGVC provides us with access to 70 resorts at 9 months, Silver Honors Status and 25:1 HGVC conversion rate. For the years that we don’t we use our HGVC POINTS, we can put them in our VAULT (or as he called it our 401V) where they never expire.

LOL, at that point DH asked the salesman what is the VAULT? Is that something new? and then DH looked at me. I said it was our HILTON HONORS account before the salesman had a chance to reply. Lol, I should have kept my mouth shut to see how the salesman would have replied. DH knew how bad that idea was and didn’t say a word. :rolleyes:

The salesman went on to tell us that most members are unaware that they can use their points for Airfare, Cruises, Car Rental and Hotels. He said with HGVC members can basically leave their credit cards at home when they travel and use their HGVC points for everything. :p

The salesman said they have this new program “By Hilton Club”. This is my one time opportunity to upgrade into this new program. If I don’t update today then I need to sign that I decided to deny this one time upgrade offer. He said “By Hilton Club”will have locations in DC, Chicago, Charleston, Barbados, Boston, San Francisco and NYC.

He went on to say if I buy 5100 Points today, as a “By Hilton Club” owner, I’ll have access to these urban locations as well as the 70 HGVC resorts, Honors Gold Status, 50:1 Honors Conversion Rate, Inclusive Fee and Right of First Refusal.

He said some Elite members were mad about this new program since they spent a 14k Elite owner spends around $96k with HGVC. HOWEVER HGVC is offering 100% equity towards this new program. I asked him what season was the 5100 Points associated with and how much did it cost? He told that 5,100 Points was a one bedroom at the District during Gold Season and it was selling for $36k. I thought is was odd that they no longer provide a price sheet but I guess it’s how they get folks to buy the lowest option available without explaining how the program work then hit buyers with an upgrade later.

The salesman asked if we wanted to proceed so he could begin to work the numbers.
That’s when he looked into his folder and discovered we were resale owners. His records showed the last time we took a sales presentation was in 2010 as a result of a VIP Package.

At that point, he said you’re resale owners, you’re not going to buy. You probably bought your week for $2,000. I corrected the salesman saying that it wasn’t $2k since we bought resale years ago. Lol, then DH took the opportunity to also point out that HGVC has ROFR on HGVC resorts too and their decline allowed us to buy resale.

The salesman let us go and we got our free gifts for the presentation.

Amazing he didn’t check up front if you were a resale owner.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
You turned down a "one time opportunity"? Are you crazy??? :D:D:D

Great post! The "vault" / "401V" is hilarious. Did you press them on the point devaluation that constantly happens with HHonors rewards? I wonder what their answer would be to that.

Kurt

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
From a different angle... HGVC reps appear to be thinking HGVC actual value is $2,000 per week. I am afraid their perception is worse than ours.

I thought I heard HGVC decided not to give out gifts to resale owners. I have not done the presentation for some years. If I see any good chance, I may give it a try.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Love the locations but he may be getting ahead of his skis.

Although 5100 will get you into W57 for a week gold or a 5 - 6 day platinum, I am not sure that would get you much in the Residences or these other locations when they come on-line except in dead of winter given the way they have been inflating the points charts on newer properties.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Interesting story, thanks for posting it. Love the new locations, will believe it when we see them. Thanks again!

Best,

Greg

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Love the locations but he may be getting ahead of his skis.

Although 5100 will get you into W57 for a week gold or a 5 - 6 day platinum, I am not sure that would get you much in the Residences or these other locations when they come on-line except in dead of winter given the way they have been inflating the points charts on newer properties.

5100 points will get you a studio premier (lowest priced unit) at The Residences for a week in Gold season. Studio PH is 14400 a week platinum and 1 bedroom PH is 16800 platinum at The Residences.

At W57th 5100 gets you a week in a studio premier (higher floors) in gold or a week in a studio plus during gold is 3750. Platinum rates are 7200/5250.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Regarding the locations...

HGVC might be working in partnership with Park Hotels & Resorts (one of the Hilton spin-offs).

Park Hotels & Resorts owns the following resorts that already have HGVC relationships:
  • Hilton Hawaiian Village
  • Hilton Waikoloa Village
  • New York Hilton Midtown
  • Embassy Suites Georgetown

My guess is that some of the additional “By Hilton Club” locations will come from the Park Hotels & Resorts properties. Here’s the full list of properties owned by Park Hotels & Resorts - http://www.pkhotelsandresorts.com/portfolio

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
You turned down a "one time opportunity"? Are you crazy??? :D:D:D

Great post! The "vault" / "401V" is hilarious. Did you press them on the point devaluation that constantly happens with HHonors rewards? I wonder what their answer would be to that.

Kurt

Yeah I couldn’t believe it when he said “401V”. :rolleyes:

Any other day I would have challenged that statement. But I had already decided that I wasn’t going to argue any points. I really wanted to observe the latest sales spin and understand what new owners are being told.

I was simply amazed that there was no price list, no discussion of room options or seasons. I guess their latest sales strategy is simply to get you to buy in (at the lowest level) then once you’re an owner, they’ll try to get you to upgrade for more points, another property and/or Elite status.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Regarding the locations...

HGVC might be working in partnership with Park Hotels & Resorts (one of the Hilton spin-offs).

Park Hotels & Resorts owns the following resorts that already have HGVC relationships:
  • Hilton Hawaiian Village
  • Hilton Waikoloa Village
  • New York Hilton Midtown
  • Embassy Suites Georgetown

My guess is that some of the additional “By Hilton Club” locations will come from the Park Hotels & Resorts properties. Here’s the full list of properties owned by Park Hotels & Resorts - http://www.pkhotelsandresorts.com/portfolio

Well, they have the Hilton SF and the Parc 55 in San Francisco which is one of the cities they keep mentioning. They also have the Hilton Chicago which is another location that keeps coming up.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
At W57th 5100 gets you a week in a studio premier (higher floors) in gold or a week in a studio plus during gold is 3750. Platinum rates are 7200/5250.

I just bought 5100 studio premier points at w57 and even though it’s in gold season the MF is the same as the 5250 platinum unit. The sales price is however much lower and even though is “loose” 150 points annually compared to the 5250 I can definitely live with that now that I got the unit that much cheaper.

When we go the next time we will do the update as it has been “fun” in the past and those 60min are okey spend for the gifts.

I remember last time we went to an update in nyc in 2016 we weren’t given the option to choose a season either they had one preselected for us iirc it was platinum 7200 points at approx $56-57k at the residence they would then take back our vegas for full price so the total would be $28k plus a load of bonus points.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, they have the Hilton SF and the Parc 55 in San Francisco which is one of the cities they keep mentioning. They also have the Hilton Chicago which is another location that keeps coming up.

I would like to see something comparable to W57 in SFO. My wife would like something similar in Chicago. If they do build this out, we would probably buy in.

Let's see, how long until resale units hit eBay? Haha.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
That was fun to read and the drawing is hilarious. I can hear salesmen from the past saying “the ratio is 25:1 but what we’re going to do for you is give you 50:1.” Salesman walking by says “get outta here.” (As in you’ve got to be kidding). My salesman: No, I’m going to do it. I’m going to get in trouble but I’m going to do it. Other salesman: well all right then. And they high five.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
@alwysonvac, I am trying to read one of places which the salesperson wrote at the top of drawing. What does it say between Boston and Charleston? Is that Barbados?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
@alwysonvac, I am trying to read one of places which the salesperson wrote at the top of drawing. What does it say between Boston and Charleston? Is that Barbados?

Not alwaysonvac, but I believe so. My students come up with better flow charts than that mess.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I just spent two weeks in Hawaii, one week Bay Club, one week Kingsland.

The BC week was RCI exchange, when I got to the concierge desk for parking pass she started to ask me about an update. I told her I was an owner, a couple clicks later she handed over the pass and my welcome gift (the fabric beach bag).

When I checked in to KL I didn’t even get offered, just the pass and she was out of bags so I got the key ring.

Apparently I’m on the naughty list - resale owner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Well, if it is Barbados, that doesn't seem like a very urban place to me.

No, it doesn’t seem very urban to me either. Makes me wonder if that’s the route they are headed with new properties, trying to force members to purchase By Hilton Club points at jacked up prices. Hopefully, they will get some different properties in the Caribbean.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Makes me wonder if that’s the route they are headed with new properties, trying to force members to purchase By Hilton Club points at jacked up prices.

I am wondering the exact same thing. So far, I have no interest in these new properties. I just don't see the benefit at all to me anyway. As others have stated, I can book a hotel room for the couple of nights in the last 40 years that I have spend in either NYC or DC. Actually, it would be much better for me to use HH points anyway that I have been building up in my account. I do need to use them somewhere. They have added The Bay Forest Odawara and if they also add Barbados to by Hilton Club, then I may need to evaluate how that plays out.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

The sales person wrote DC, Chicago, Charleston, Barbados, Boston, San Francisco and NYC.
But we have to take some locations with a grain of salt since it came from sales ;)

For those that don't know, so far there are four "By Hilton Club" properties in the US
  1. New York - West 57th Street by Hilton Club - link
  2. The District by Hilton Club - link
  3. New York - The Residences by Hilton Club scheduled to open in June 2018 - link
  4. Charleston - Liberty Place Charleston by Hilton Club) anticipated to open in the second quarter of 2020 - link

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
But we have to take some locations with a grain of salt since it came from sales ;)

I know but always interesting entertainment.

or those that don't know, so far there are four "By Hilton Club" properties in the US

Correct and also The Bay Forest Odawara by Hilton Club in Japan.