• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

U.S. Births Dip to 30-Year Low; Fertility Rate Sinks Further Below Replacement Level

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
U.S. Births Dip to 30-Year Low; Fertility Rate Sinks Further Below Replacement Level
By Bill Chappell/ America/ The Two-Way: Breaking News from NPR/ National Public Radio/ npr.org

"The birth rate fell for nearly every group of women of reproductive age in the U.S. in 2017, reflecting a sharp drop that saw the fewest newborns since 1978, according to a new report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

There were 3,853,472 births in the U.S. in 2017 – "down 2 percent from 2016 and the lowest number in 30 years," the CDC said.

The general fertility rate sank to a record low of 60.2 births per 1,000 women between the ages of 15 and 44 – a 3 percent drop from 2016, the CDC said in its tally of provisional data for the year.

The results put the U.S. further away from a viable replacement rate – the standard for a generation being able to replicate its numbers.

ap_18135550346598_wide-5dff1e3fe0c34ebe12e92acdd304a50c512327dc-s800-c85.jpg

In 2017, birth rates fell by 4 percent both for women from 20-24 years old and for women of ages 25-29, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Seth Wenig/AP

Richard

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Good. Fewer humans is a good thing. Less competition for dwindling resources like water. Maybe the planet will have a chance to mend.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
What is the point of this thread?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
What is the point of this thread?
This is the TUG Lounge forum, where non-timeshare topics can be posted and discussed. Richard is a long-time member who posts articles he finds interesting and most of us appreciate it. If you're not interested, feel free to not read this thread.

Kurt

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
This is the TUG Lounge forum, where non-timeshare topics can be posted and discussed. Richard is a long-time member who posts articles he finds interesting and most of us appreciate it. If you're not interested, feel free to not read this thread.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt.

Best regards,

Richard

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I was just asking what is the purpose of this post. The OP did not comment. He just posted it with no comment so it was not clear why he posted it or what kind of discussion he wants to have about it. This article is interesting. It is a problem in many developed countries, not just the USA.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Richard posts articles of general interest that he finds; sometimes they start a discussion, sometimes not. There was a discussion on these posts a couple years back; you may want to search for it and give it a review if you are interested.

Kurt

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Richard posts articles of general interest that he finds; sometimes they start a discussion, sometimes not. There was a discussion on these posts a couple years back; you may want to search for it and give it a review if you are interested.

Kurt

Thank you for helping me understand. This topic interests me but I was confused as to why he posted it and what kind of discussion he wanted to generate. I have many opinions on this topic but did not want to generate an irrelevant discussion.

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I, personally, love Richard's posts. Usually I just read them and add whatever it was to my already overcrowded brain. This article, however, is a chill wind. Were the whole world doing this, it might not be worrisome. But that the US is no longer able to replace its population doesn't bode well for the future. More older folks, less young workers. Japan has been wrestling with this for a long time and it causes real economic and social problems. Given that I will not be around long enough to feel the impact, it doesn't affect me personally. But my grandchildren...this is really bad news for them.

Thanks, Richard, for your sometimes quirky but always interesting posts.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Thank you for helping me understand. This topic interests me but I was confused as to why he posted it and what kind of discussion he wanted to generate. I have many opinions on this topic but did not want to generate an irrelevant discussion.
Tug is frequently a place for tangential irrelevant discussions!:D

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I, personally, love Richard's posts. Usually I just read them and add whatever it was to my already overcrowded brain. This article, however, is a chill wind. Were the whole world doing this, it might not be worrisome. But that the US is no longer able to replace its population doesn't bode well for the future. More older folks, less young workers. Japan has been wrestling with this for a long time and it causes real economic and social problems. Given that I will not be around long enough to feel the impact, it doesn't affect me personally. But my grandchildren...this is really bad news for them.

Thanks, Richard, for your sometimes quirky but always interesting posts.

I have two opinions about this. On the one hand, I agree the ability to not replace our population does not bode well for the USA on a financial basis. There will not be enough young people to support the old people and that will affect SS, Medicare and social services. On the other hand, global population is increasing so quickly that we are destroying the environment and waging wars over natural resources.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
The worldwide population is still growing. Japan has had the biggest issue because they have very little immigration.

Allowing more young immigrants to come could offset this for a very long time.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
The worldwide population is still growing. Japan has had the biggest issue because they have very little immigration.

That is one solution but creates other things. Maybe incentives for married couples who are already financially stable to have kids could work.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I agree. There is no shortage of people wanting to come to the US to work and pay taxes. If needed, an immigration policy biased towards young, educated applicants would eliminate most of the negative issues associated (right or wrong) with immigration.

Kurt

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. There is no shortage of people wanting to come to the US to work and pay taxes. If needed, an immigration policy biased towards young, educated applicants would eliminate most of the negative issues associated (right or wrong) with immigration.

Kurt

I'm curious - how does immigration to the US work now?

In Canada there are two primary ways to immigrate - a "points" system and family reunification. The points system gives points for speaking English or French, education, age, skills needed in Canada, etc.

There are other routes (NAFTA, refugee status, temporary foreign worker, etc) but those are the main two.

Is there something similar in the US? I've never looked in to it because I live in Canada and have a NAFTA approved profession, so I could get a work visa if I got a job in the US easily.

geekette

Reaction score
That is one solution but creates other things. Maybe incentives for married couples who are already financially stable to have kids could work.
Count me as a big no vote on this. If they wanted kids, they would have kids. We don't need unwanted kids. We have enough of those. I have no kids, by choice, and do my duty in paying taxes that support schools (I do want everyone to be educated). I am part of the village.

Further, who decides which families are "financially stable"? And if they are "financially stable" why would we give them an incentive to do something they clearly don't want to do? Taxpayers should not be footing bonuses for births. Kids are a responsibility for life. Incentives are temporary. I don't see kids winning in this since they will be around long after the incentive is gone. I definitely don't want to encourage people to be parents that are not already wanting the lifelong responsibility for children.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Count me as a big no vote on this. If they wanted kids, they would have kids. We don't need unwanted kids. We have enough of those. I have no kids, by choice, and do my duty in paying taxes that support schools (I do want everyone to be educated). I am part of the village.

Further, who decides which families are "financially stable"? And if they are "financially stable" why would we give them an incentive to do something they clearly don't want to do? Taxpayers should not be footing bonuses for births. Kids are a responsibility for life. Incentives are temporary. I don't see kids winning in this since they will be around long after the incentive is gone. I definitely don't want to encourage people to be parents that are not already wanting the lifelong responsibility for children.

A higher tax deduction would solve most of your issues. And I am against most deductions along with higher taxes. Some countries need higher birth rates, especially from educated, financially stable people.

geekette

Reaction score
A higher tax deduction would solve most of your issues. And I am against most deductions along with higher taxes. Some countries need higher birth rates, especially from educated, financially stable people.
Higher deduction for all, yes, I could see my way clear to that. I do understand that raising kids is expensive. A tax deduction does little to change that.

But I don't personally think we "need" a higher birth rate. We aren't taking care of the kids we have. Further, it's generally the women raising the kids, certainly bearing the months of medical condition and related inconveniences and expenses, and the hopefully happy result. Pregnancy puts women further behind on the economic scale (can lead to firing or not being hired or promoted; "mommy tracking" is a real thing), "incentives" or not. There also seems to be some question as to whether there will be enough jobs for adults in the not too distant future.

Count me as not alarmed by birth rate decrease. We're already depleting our natural resources and people are living longer.

I think the "especially from educated, financially stable people" is a little gross. My folks came from nothing. The idea that we need rich people to breed more than those on lower rungs is offensive. If you love your kids and raise them to be happy well-adjusted productive citizens, I don't care what your education or money. We don't need more pampered assholes. We need more people that understand what hard work is vs silver spoon served on gilded platter.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Higher deduction for all, yes, I could see my way clear to that. I do understand that raising kids is expensive. A tax deduction does little to change that.

But I don't personally think we "need" a higher birth rate. We aren't taking care of the kids we have. Further, it's generally the women raising the kids, certainly bearing the months of medical condition and related inconveniences and expenses, and the hopefully happy result. Pregnancy puts women further behind on the economic scale (can lead to firing or not being hired or promoted; "mommy tracking" is a real thing), "incentives" or not. There also seems to be some question as to whether there will be enough jobs for adults in the not too distant future.

Count me as not alarmed by birth rate decrease. We're already depleting our natural resources and people are living longer.

I think the "especially from educated, financially stable people" is a little gross. My folks came from nothing. The idea that we need rich people to breed more than those on lower rungs is offensive. If you love your kids and raise them to be happy well-adjusted productive citizens, I don't care what your education or money. We don't need more pampered assholes. We need more people that understand what hard work is vs silver spoon served on gilded platter.

I guess you missed reading (especially) not all but that is the demographic that is having less children then the others, which is creating this situation.

I also think somethings are more important then economic scale and being fired or not hired even though things are wrong. We live in an imperfect world. If everyone chose the same way as you did where would we be? Not that there is anything wrong with your choice and I fully support people who do not want to have kids.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
To those who think less people isn't a problem - would you be willing to back that up with your current or future social security check?

If there aren't a sufficiently large number of people of working age, the social promises previous generations made to themselves won't be able to be met.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Good idea but unlikely to happen. This would so socially unacceptable among the extreme left in the US.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To those who think less people isn't a problem - would you be willing to back that up with your current or future social security check?

If there aren't a sufficiently large number of people of working age, the social promises previous generations made to themselves won't be able to be met.

Ironically, I agree. Older middle class to rich people should be willing to give up their social security check to solve this problem. It is sad to me that many of my well-off friends are locked into getting their SS check so they can finance vacation. I would happily give up my SS check to make the government solvent, assuming we can get a well run government.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I was just asking what is the purpose of this post. The OP did not comment. He just posted it with no comment so it was not clear why he posted it or what kind of discussion he wants to have about it. This article is interesting. It is a problem in many developed countries, not just the USA.
Your post reflects the new (current) normal. People all have to take a position on everything that happens. Are you for it or against it? Are you red or blue? Are you conservative or progressive? Did you update your facebook picture with the the newest cause? (because if you didn't, that means you're against it!)

Facts are no longer important, it's all about what side you are on or what your point is. Richard posts lots of articles to give (hopefully) facts and perspective on things happening in the world that you may not have seen in the finely screened regular news. I often have beefs with some slanted headlines, but I appreciate his posts that allow us to delve deeper into things we hadn't considered.