• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What timeshare brand(s) should I look to purchase if I want European travel options?

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want the option to travel to the Caribbean, Hawaii, and Europe and beyond with my timeshare. What brand(s) give the best option for this type of travel? I want to buy resale.

Should I be looking at points? Which points? How many?

Should I be looking for a good trader week?

What exchange company is better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The best 'fits all' would probably be RCI, if you just want one. But HGVC and Marriott have good presence in Hawaii. Marriott has some nice properties in Spain. You should know that timeshares in general, are not well located for Americans in Europe. Most are in small towns out in the countryside. Europeans LIVE in the major cities, so they want to vacation out in the country. Americans generally want to see European cities. Now, there are exceptions, but not a lot. We have exchanged RCI points into Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy, Germany, and Scotland, but use hotels in the cities.

Jim

Reactions: BD7

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best 'fits all' would probably be RCI, if you just want one. But HGVC and Marriott have good presence in Hawaii. Marriott has some nice properties in Spain. You should know that timeshares in general, are not well located for Americans in Europe. Most are in small towns out in the countryside. Europeans LIVE in the major cities, so they want to vacation out in the country. Americans generally want to see European cities. Now, there are exceptions, but not a lot. We have exchanged RCI points into Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy, Germany, and Scotland, but use hotels in the cities.

Jim

Good to know. I’ve been looking at RCI and II through Wyndham and knowing I would likely need a pretty significant amount of points, it could be my best bet.

I’ve looked at HGVC and not thrilled with their options stateside to be honest.

Marriott is appealing, but from what I’m reading is not great for resales purchases due to ROFR.

Is wyndham then RCI/II a good option?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott is appealing, but from what I’m reading is not great for resales purchases due to ROFR.

Is wyndham then RCI/II a good option?

Marriott's ROFR is not the main issue here. If you buy a week, you may only use II to trade and trading is like crapshoot. If you buy points, points can book into any Marriott resort through their internal system which you should have no issue booking when booking window opens. Points are expensive and if you are thinking of going to Hawaii, you need to look at something like 5,000 points. You can buy much fewer, like 1,500 points to keep the cost down, and rent one time use points from other owners to get up to the number of points that you need. A 1,500 points purchase in the retail market will cost about $11K, after paying junk fees to Marriott.

RCI and II are merely exchange companies. You need to purchase timeshare with affliliation to whichever exchange company that you want to use. Exchanging requires annual membership and escalating exchange fees. I used to exchange close to 100 percent of my stays and now I own timeshares which have internal points system to book instead.

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott's ROFR is not the main issue here. If you buy a week, you may only use II to trade and trading is like crapshoot. If you buy points, points can book into any Marriott resort through their internal system which you should have no issue booking when booking window opens. Points are expensive and if you are thinking of going to Hawaii, you need to look at something like 5,000 points. You can buy much fewer, like 1,500 points to keep the cost down, and rent one time use points from other owners to get up to the number of points that you need. A 1,500 points purchase in the retail market will cost about $11K, after paying junk fees to Marriott.

RCI and II are merely exchange companies. You need to purchase timeshare with affliliation to whichever exchange company that you want to use. Exchanging requires annual membership and escalating exchange fees. I used to exchange close to 100 percent of my stays and now I own timeshares which have internal points system to book instead.

It’s sounding more like exchanging is a huge pain and a definite added expense to consider. Thank you for the input

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s sounding more like exchanging is a huge pain and a definite added expense to consider. Thank you for the input

Exchanging is not an exact science, and in most cases were significantly to timeshare vacation costs. On the scale of cheapest to most costly, it might be fixed week. Every year you go to the same unit in the same resort the same week. It's like a second home. I have one of these and love it. Next would be owning at a resort or system with lots of internally available resorts. You just pick one from inventory and go. Higher cost is it you join an exchange - RCI or II. (About $100/yr) then deposit the week you own, and either put in for (called an ongoing search) where you really want to go, or choose from an online catalog. And pay that exchange co. $300ish more. And it gets worse. They tell you that you can exchange for flights of cruises. The deal here is that your $800-$1000 of MY will get you $300-$400 discount from full retail. Not a good deal at all.

Jim

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I want the option to travel to the Caribbean, Hawaii, and Europe and beyond with my timeshare. What brand(s) give the best option for this type of travel? I want to buy resale.

Should I be looking at points? Which points? How many?

Should I be looking for a good trader week?

What exchange company is better?

I think Marriott Destination Points program is the most flexible and has the most travel options. With the merger with Interval, they now own Westin, Sheraton, and Hyatt. It is speculation but it is possible Marriott Vacation Club might combine the programs, offering even more travel opportunities in the destinations you mention. The downside is Points are expensive and have higher maintenance fees. I think II is heads and shoulders better than RCI - I am a member of both. I do not trade using II or RCI but I have used their Getaways. You can get excellent prices on destinations to fill in where you own timeshares with Getaways. Sometimes the Getaways are available 6-8 months in advance, which is helpful for planning.