• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Accommodation Certificate Question

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is currently an offer to obtain an Accommodation Certificate with an exchange. We currently have several certificates that appeared in our Marriott Corporate account for no apparent reason. We find these to have little value.

Are the certificates offered for an exchange similar? I believe all certificates are either equal or about the same. Any experience that those offered for an exchange are any better?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The AC that I got for an exchange is even weaker than the freebies deposited by II, the only plus side is that you can put an ongoing search on it. I haven't been able to use any of the ACs todate except for one that I exchanged into Orlando during last year's hurricane.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
The AC that I got for an exchange is even weaker than the freebies deposited by II, the only plus side is that you can put an ongoing search on it. I haven't been able to use any of the ACs todate except for one that I exchanged into Orlando during last year's hurricane.

Thanks. I am probably going to extend a week using e-plus. The week expires the end December. I was considering trading for a week now rather than waiting until October (i.e. prior to 60 days out) in order to obtain the AC. If I exchange now to obtain the AC, I am giving up a right to place an ongoing search using the expiring week. However, it is a nice feature to be able to place an on-going search with the AC.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

We used one this year for Branson, it was cheaper than getaways at the time. They are not as good as they used to be, but, we've used probably a dozen over the years. We love Branson.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We used one this year for Branson, it was cheaper than getaways at the time. They are not as good as they used to be, but, we've used probably a dozen over the years. We love Branson.
When is the best time to go there? My husband has been talking about visiting there.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
When is the best time to go there? My husband has been talking about visiting there.

If you like shows, or with kids, it's a great place to go. Spring is typically not the best time unless you can go last minute (think tornado). Fall is our favorite time, temperate, no storms, and, less crowds. Summer is pretty busy and traffic is awful. It's only a 5 hour drive for us, so, very convenient. To us, having been to both, pretty much on par with Vegas shows. They don't always have all of them in early spring or late fall though. Lots of kids stuff too.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you like shows, or with kids, it's a great place to go. Spring is typically not the best time unless you can go last minute (think tornado). Fall is our favorite time, temperate, no storms, and, less crowds. Summer is pretty busy and traffic is awful. It's only a 5 hour drive for us, so, very convenient. To us, having been to both, pretty much on par with Vegas shows. They don't always have all of them in early spring or late fall though. Lots of kids stuff too.
Thanks. Sounds like Fall it will be. No kids but we will check out the schedule for shows.

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's SurfWatch Brewster Green Marriott's SurfWatch
I just won the jack pot with an AC last week. It has been a few years since I have found anything with an AC. Last week I was looking and there was Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes. Check in was less than a week. I took it and gave it to a friend, who is very kind and let's us use her Master's tickets for a day. (we only pay the face value) so I was happy to give her a little something. So I still believe in AC. I am going to deposit my Marriott before the end of June and II will give me an AC. Maybe I will get lucky again.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I just won the jack pot with an AC last week. It has been a few years since I have found anything with an AC. Last week I was looking and there was Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes. Check in was less than a week. I took it and gave it to a friend, who is very kind and let's us use her Master's tickets for a day. (we only pay the face value) so I was happy to give her a little something. So I still believe in AC. I am going to deposit my Marriott before the end of June and II will give me an AC. Maybe I will get lucky again.

ACs are nothing more than excess inventory. That's a nice way of saying nobody wanted them---
Too "off-season"? too remote?? too last-minute?? lots of reasons.

Occasionally (more often, rarely) things happen, whether a last minute cancelation or whatever, and a week will show up.
That week will be invariably noticed by the Interval stalkers and snapped up (I used to be one!).
If they last more than 24 hours now it's a miracle. I still have TUG friends who tell me about a fortunate "get" within the last 2 years.

I used to peruse Interval more than I do now, because as everyone knows very little is usable or even desirable.
In the old days, we got "off-season" weeks at Hilton Head on a regular and predictable basis, Myrtle Beach, Williamsburg, Ocean Pointe, and many others. If any weeks are ever available at Hilton Head now (whether possessed by Marriott or Interval), regardless of the month, they are blacked out, because the fringe time frames have become so popular and desirable that Marriott knows they will be able to rent them. Haven't seen a HH week via AC in several years, and looking back at my Interval history, we used AT LEAST one AC week annually. The cost used to be very cheap too, and sometimes I'd buy one or two and give them away to family or friends. Those days are certainly gone. Doing a search on Interval now for a decent AC week is an effort in futility, and borders on the insulting. I guess they are hoping somebody has a wild hair and bites---it's one less week's maintenance fee they have to pay.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Jme
I was very fortunate with my last AC from Interval. I got a 3Bed Surfwatch in Hilton Head for Sept. Very excited. I was able to put in an OGS. They seem to work the best for me.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Hi Jme
I was very fortunate with my last AC from Interval. I got a 3Bed Surfwatch in Hilton Head for Sept. Very excited. I was able to put in an OGS. They seem to work the best for me.

Chances are you won't ever see that one online, so the OGS was the right way to go.
When they become available suddenly it will invariably be a time you're not looking, so it goes away fast.
Congratulations, that was really a great one, considering the 3BR.....and definitely the exception.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I never knew you could put in an OGS with ACs. Hmmm.... Good to know! I learn a lot on TUG!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I never knew you could put in an OGS with ACs. Hmmm.... Good to know! I learn a lot on TUG!

Not all AC have the OGS feature. The ones for deposit can and are good for a year.

I remember the good old days when the ACs would pull DVC! Yeah...they are not like that anymore, but for some they can be excellent!

My most recent AC usage:
Nov 2016: Got 2 2BR units at Grand Vista
Aug 2017: Custom house (big score)
Feb 2018: 2 BR at Pollard Brook, Lincoln NH - ski week

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
What has happened to the inventory for the AC's? I have two ending in July, but the units are very slim. There was so much inventory two weeks ago. Well, ok, many folks take vacations with the children during this time.