• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John - Sunset Bay Phase Mandatory?

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see in the very thorough notes (thank you!) on the introduction forum that Westin St John Virgin Grand - Hillside is the only mandatory phase. The map of the resort lists Virgin Grand, but not Hillside. Is Hillside a location descriptor for Virgin Grand? Can anyone confirm is Sunset Bay is mandatory or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Hillside = Virgin Grand (Up on the hill above the main resort.)

No Sunset Bay is not mandatory.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It's a good question - no reason to delete it.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Is there a resale WSJ SB listed somewhere?

VGV = Hillside
It is a hold over from when VGV was the only Timeshare phase.

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a resale WSJ SB listed somewhere?

VGV = Hillside
It is a hold over from when VGV was the only Timeshare phase.

There is a WSJ SB on eBay. Happy shopping :). I’m still trying to figure this all out! Ha!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
There is a WSJ SB on eBay. Happy shopping :). I’m still trying to figure this all out! Ha!

I own 2 weeks in VGV - I would not own SB - we are happy Hill People.
Thanks for the info.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you! Is there a way to delete my original post?

If they deleted every thread where a person got their answer, there wouldn't be many threads. Also, when others come along with a similar question, it is already answered.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

I just saw this. Funny that they list this as located in St Thomas USVI. This is stated incorrectly twice - they don’t even get location correct! (Red flag)

$1100 MF for a 2Bd? Is this correct? Seems low... Our MFs for a 2Bd TH in VGV is more than twice this. ($2400)
I wonder is this is based on 2018 MFs that were discounted due to H.Irma.

These are 148.1K HomeResort Options - not StarOptions. SOs do not transfer upon resale. Can only use SB phase.

There is no resort transfer fee of $25.

Property taxes are paid separately for SB? I wasn’t aware of this - I thought they were part of MFs. not sure though

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just saw this. Funny that they list this as located in St Thomas USVI. This is stated incorrectly twice - they don’t even get location correct! (Red flag)

$1100 MF for a 2Bd? Is this correct? Seems low... Our MFs for a 2Bd TH in VGV is more than twice this. ($2400)

These are 148.1K HomeResort Options - not StarOptions. SOs do not transfer upon resale. Can only use SB phase.

Property taxes are paid separately for SB? I wasn’t aware of this - I thought they were part of MFs. not sure though

It’s interesting to have an insider’s perspective!! Thank you for pointing out red flags to watch for!

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they deleted every thread where a person got their answer, there wouldn't be many threads. Also, when others come along with a similar question, it is already answered.

I didn’t know if the answer to my question was obvious enough to delete. :)

noel

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hi,
New person here but I have been looking for a WSJ resale. This same seller had a week previously for sale on eBay and I double checked the maintenance fees and he said that the fees quoted were for this year which, as you said, were reduced because of the hurricane damage.

I do have some follow-up questions, if you don't mind, as this week look attractive to me since it appears that we can float the week and we love St John and plan to visit annually.

1) Home Resort Options - does that mean the points can only be used at WSJ?

2) Did I get the part right about it being a floating week at WSJ?

3) Is there anything about SB phase that would make this less attractive than other locations on the property?

Thank you so much!
Jeannine

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Hi,
New person here but I have been looking for a WSJ resale. This same seller had a week previously for sale on eBay and I double checked the maintenance fees and he said that the fees quoted were for this year which, as you said, were reduced because of the hurricane damage.

I do have some follow-up questions, if you don't mind, as this week look attractive to me since it appears that we can float the week and we love St John and plan to visit annually.

1) Home Resort Options - does that mean the points can only be used at WSJ? Since this is in SB section of WSJ and this is a resale, yes you can only use at WSJ.

2) Did I get the part right about it being a floating week at WSJ? Correct, not a fixed week.

3) Is there anything about SB phase that would make this less attractive than other locations on the property? Parking is further away from your unit than in the hillside section. Could be noisier since it is in the main resort. Depends on what you are looking for. VGV(Hillside) comes with Star Options and that is a major attraction for most people. (Although trading WSJ to go to most other resorts is not a good trade. Hawaii would be an exception, IMNSHO.)

Thank you so much!
Jeannine

noel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gina!

I'm looking for a St John vacation in a unit that has more than 1BR or Studio that isn't a fixed week. For now at least, we don't have any interest in trading for other resorts since we love St John and do vacation elsewhere as well.

One more rookie question - how would I have know they were Home Resort Options vs Star Options as the post indicated....because it SB and not one of the other locations??

Thank you!
Jeannine

Last edited:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gina!

I'm looking for a St John vacation in a unit that has more than 1BR or Studio that isn't a fixed week. For now at least, we don't have any interest in trading for other resorts since we love St John and do vacation elsewhere as well.

One more rookie question - how would I have know they were Home Resort Options vs Star Options as the post indicated....because it SB and not one of the other locations??

Thank you!
Jeannine

Because SB section is a voluntary section at WSJ. Those type of units do not come with staroptions to use at other VSE resorts at the 8-month booking window. Only the Virgin Grand section is Manadatory and comes with staroptions when it is sold second hand.

Adventureisoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gina!

Thank you!
Jeannine

Hi Jeannine,
If you look through the sticky notes https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...g-with-ii-3-rescinding-4-flex-options.205516/. Then introduction to Starwood/vistana, it will tell you which resorts are mandatory (eligible for star options) or voluntary (only eligible for home resort stays). I’m doing this from my phone, so it might not be 100% correct.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The SB resale can only be used at SB (not other WSJ phases) - or within II.

Actually, the VGV 3Bd Plat+ has one of the cheapest (MF/SO) - if not the cheapest - in VSE.

The eBay seller of SB if essentially lying about the MFs if they are using 2018 as their reference. Red Flag!

If you are looking for a 1Bd at WSJ - only VGV has these.

Having a car right outside our villa is critical for us - we rarely get down to main resort (and we are there for 2 weeks)

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I can only speak for Westin St John Coral Villas Resale owner. Non-Mandatory. I can reserve one year out in my season. About April 1 thru December 15Ish. Weeks 17-50?

With what is called my HomeOptions, I can reserve week 51,52,1-16 at 8 months along with every other StarPoints member. Except that my HomeOptions can ONLY be used in my Coral Vista phase of WSJ. No place else.

I do not know if this rule also applies to Bay Vista and Sunset Bay.

It make it a little bit more flexible then other resale Starwood Weeks.

noel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone so much! I truly appreciate all you help and input.

Yes - he is essentially lying about the maintenance fees and someone unfamiliar would be in for an unpleasant surprise.

With the Home Options - if you have enough points, is it possible to use them for a studio but stay for longer than one week, dependent on availability?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone so much! I truly appreciate all you help and input.

With the Home Options - if you have enough points, is it possible to use them for a studio but stay for longer than one week, dependent on availability?
Yes.

Erinaadyn

Reaction score
Are Every Other Year Virgin Grand resales also mandatory? or is it only annual purchases?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are Every Other Year Virgin Grand resales also mandatory? or is it only annual purchases?
Every unit in that phase is mandatory. You pay the VSN fee every year. I think it is $155-160 for one VOI, $55 for second and beyond.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are about $3.6K We are VGV/Hill people (pool villas) but are also flat landers at Sunset Bay.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
They are about $3.6K We are VGV/Hill people (pool villas) but are also flat landers at Sunset Bay.

This quote from me is from 2018 based on a incorrect info in a eBay auction.
Our VGV MFs are around $2800 now.
Plus PropTax (~$160) plus the BS $25/nite ‘Environmental’ Fee plus the VSN fee (if applicable).