• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DISNEY SARATOGA TREEHOUSE INFO NEEDED ASAP

gjhardt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Monarch
I have an opportunity to get a treehouse unit for upcoming trip - can anyone tell me their experiences pros and cons versus doing a two bedroom.

Will be 5 adults and 3 children.

Thanks in advance

other option is Bonnet Creek 2 bedrooms

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Never stayed since dvc-but as a teen when it was hotel and loved it. We pass them all the time on the boat and biking.
Pros. 3 br and really cute themed space. Look on allears.net for photos. One br is very small with bunk beds.
Cons. Pool is basic rectangle. No services. Most go over to ssr. If you have younger kids who like to run around outdoors then would be a good fit. If you want easy access to food themed pool etc then another dvc would be better. bc would be my 2nd choice with any dvc #1. But if you are ok to take the shuttle bus or drive to ssr-it’s just around the corner-then treehouse works fine. You also have very easy access to Disney springs. Treehouse are rare for rci. i love onsite dvc so I’d likely take that over bc. plus dvc sfoabeds are very good even for adults.
You get wdw benefits with dvc like fp at 60 days.

Last edited:

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
$24 night for parking per car if not a DVC member. You have to take a bus to get to a bus when going to the parks or even to/from Magical Express.

We've done SSR and it took a 15 minute bus ride just to see Chelonia Parkway (WBC road.)

So SSR gets you a unique experience in the treehouses, transportation, and DDP option.

WBC is really close to DS, EP, and HS. We usually have annual passes so parking at the parks is free. We are here now. While there is still lots of construction around Disney, driving is so much easier than in the past.

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a decision only you can make.

For me it would come down to extra space and the novelty of the treehouse vs. the convenience of Bonnet Creek.

The treehouses have a longer time to get to the resort bus and the resort amenities. At BC, everything is right there. It depends what you're hoping to get out of your trip.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
The treehouses are a unique experience. They are 3 bedroom and I believe two of the bedrooms had a queen bed and the 3rd bedroom had a set of bunkbeds. The living room had a sleeper chair and a pullout sofa bed.

We actually saw little round bluebirds in the trees (which I hadn't seen in years since I was a kid on my grandparents' farm). There was a shuttle to take you to the main SSR check-in building and main pool. We had a great time. I would do it again.

If the cost is close to the same, I would pick the SSR treehouse hands down over a 2 bedroom Wyndham Bonnet Creek unit. If you are staying on DVC points, there is no parking charge. Not sure on an exchange - have not heard if Disney is going to charge inbound exchangers or not for parking.

Disney does charge RCI exchangers a fee of $190 at the check-in desk which supposedly covers Magical Express, etc. (I call it "a just because they can fee").

Last edited:

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of anyone getting a Treehouse through RCI. That would be cool, though.

So looking at owner costs, a value week in September would cost 464 points, so roughly $2500 MF cost. The same week for a 3 bedroom at Bonnet Creek 140K so even at a moderately high MF of 6.50/1000, would cost $910 MF. The same week, renting through Disney would be $5710.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I haven’t stayed in treehouse villa or Bonnet Creek. I guess it depends on what you like. If your group would like the outdoor woodsy feel then treehouse villa might be a good choice.

From Disboards.com

From https://www.dvcrequest.com

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
From the SSR Lovers and Owners thread on the Disboards - https://www.disboards.com/threads/ssr-lovers-and-owners-part-3.3303265/

Will I like the Tree House Villas?

THV
Pro: Unique concept
Pro: Very relaxing / peaceful atmosphere
Pro: Great for BBQing. Your own grill and a giant deck. Each THV also has a set of BBQ utensils.
Con: There is no canopy over the deck, nor is there an umbrella on the table. In the hot sun of July and August, the deck is practically unusable.
Con: Master bedroom has a queen sized bed.
Con: There's a set of steps (or a long wheelchair ramp) that all luggage and groceries need to be carried up and down. You can call bell services to do this for you if youre willing to tip them.
Con: Bus to a bus. There's no direct service from the THV to theme parks. You need to either walk, bus, or boat to another section of the SSR resort to catch theme park buses
Con: Villas are secluded in a wooded wetland. What might be considered as relaxing and peaceful to some, may be considered spooky and isolated to others
Con: Wooded wetlands have bugs and critters. (This was never an issue for us, but others have commented that bugs were an issue. Frankly, I've encountered bugs in all sections of the resort. It's on the water. There are going to be bugs.)
Pro: There are more bedrooms. If you are traveling with a group that isn't all part of the same immediate family, there are more options for splitting up families.
Con: The THV is only slightly larger than a 2-bedroom (1074 sq ft versus 1070 sq ft), but the square footage is divided up into more rooms. Each room, therefore, is much smaller. There's not a lot of room in the bedrooms to set up the playpen/crib. If you've got long enough arms you can pretty much reach all four walls of the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms from the bed if you tried.
Con: One of the bedrooms has a bunk bed. If this bedroom is to be used by adults (especially a couple), they're not going to be comfortable. The member web site indicates the bunk beds are for individuals 5' 10" and under, and 300 lbs or less.
Pro: One of the bedrooms has a bunk bed. Kids think this is the coolest thing ever!
Pro: Living room has a sleeper chair. THV can officially sleep one more person than a 2-bedroom.
Pro: If you're in the south loop, you're reasonably close for walking to Downtown Disney West End (although not as close as Congress Park is to the Marketplace)
Con: The THV pool is very small, and theming was an afterthought.
Pro: I've never seen the THV pool crowded, and have often been the only one there.
Pro: The THV pool is under a canopy of trees. In the sweltering heat of July and August when other pools feel like a hot bath tub, the THV pool is a little cooler.
Pro: One extra TV in the THV. Each of the three bedrooms has one.
Pro: More bureau and closet space for putting away clothes in bedrooms. (All 3 bedrooms have a bureau, and the 2nd bedroom has a closet.)
Pro: Cathedral ceilings throughout.
Con: Because of the cathedral ceiling, the ceiling fan in the master bedroom is so high up you can't reach it. There's no way to change the speed, and they're set so slow they barely even move the air.
Con: If you have more than one vehicle, youre only supposed to park one of them in the THV section. Additional vehicles are to be parked in the Grandstand section.
Con: The streets through the THV section of the resort are narrow. Disney uses full-sized buses for the shuttle to the main section of the resort. If you have a very large vehicle, you wont want to park it at the THV. (We didnt have any problem with our mini-van, but Ive seen some of those monster vehicles yall have!)
Con: There are sidewalks leading to the doors of the individual THV, but there are not sidewalks along the main street. Because of the narrow streets (and especially because of the buses), you need to be mindful of traffic when youre walking to/from the bus stop, boat dock, or pool.
Pro: Some of the THV have rooms that literally look out directly at the water. You can lie in your bed and watch the boats. (Note: The 3 bedrooms face in three different directions, so each bedroom has a completely different view.)
Con: A THV will use more points than a two-bedroom.
Pro: It's more cool! Come on, admit it. You've always wanted to stay in one of Disney's tree houses.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
So looking at owner costs, a value week in September would cost 464 points, so roughly $2500 MF cost. The same week for a 3 bedroom at Bonnet Creek 140K so even at a moderately high MF of 6.50/1000, would cost $910 MF. The same week, renting through Disney would be $5710.

464 points is the grand villa. The treehouses for a week in September would take 281 DVC points.