• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elara - an HGV Resort in Las Vegas

BarCol

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club (#D400) in Las Vegas - there are no reviews on RCI and it appears to be a new property?

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of threads about it in the HGVC forum. It was Westgate originally and HGVC bought it. There are still weeks owners in the Westgate system and new owners who are buying from HGVC.

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be staying there beginning on 8/16, for the first time. I will post when we return home.
Sue

islandguy

Reaction score
I own there and stay quite often. Since hilton took over the check in is much better. This is a great resort. 1br has hugh screen for TV projector. Love being on the strip with parking attached to resort. Don't like the european washer/dryer combo. This is a class resort. Hard to upgrade to larger units than what you own because of the westgate transition and hilton inflexable system. Their studios are large. Had good wifi.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
hilton inflexable system.

This makes no sense to me. HGVC is perhaps the most flexible timeshare system out there. You can rent any unit, any size, any season; as long as you have the points to do so. You can rent anywhere from 3 days (2 for open season) to as many as you have points for.

-Bob

islandguy

Reaction score
This makes no sense to me. HGVC is perhaps the most flexible timeshare system out there. You can rent any unit, any size, any season; as long as you have the points to do so. You can rent anywhere from 3 days (2 for open season) to as many as you have points for.

-Bob

Not when you own HGVC thru Westgate. You are managed by HGVC but are a second class citizen when using this property. You have what you own and nothing more. You cannot use the HGVC flexibility.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Not when you own HGVC thru Westgate. You are managed by HGVC but are a second class citizen when using this property. You have what you own and nothing more. You cannot use the HGVC flexibility.

You aren't paying the $125 / year HGVC club fees to use the flexible system, and likely won't be invited to join. You are stuck in Westgate hell, sorry about that.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave has it right. You're not an HGVC owner, you're a Westgate owner. Don't fault HGVC for the shortcomings of Westgate.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Dave has it right. You're not an HGVC owner, you're a Westgate owner. Don't fault HGVC for the shortcomings of Westgate.

So may of those that got suckered into the nightmare of Wastegate Tower of Terror want so badly to be a part of Hilton now but don't understand Hilton just manages those original weeks for Wastegate now. They aren't part of and haven't been offered any chance to be made part of Hilton. The Hilton operation is separate from those original owners and seems it always will be. They do get to utilize the upgraded amenities and overall operation of the resort but not the newer units or any of the Hilton perks. Just another case of Wastegate raking owners over the coals as usual.

schiff1997

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I have an RCI exchange at the Hilton Elara Resort (D400) in a 2 bedroom next fall. Will we get a "Hilton unit" or "Westgate" Unit?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I have an RCI exchange at the Hilton Elara Resort (D400) in a 2 bedroom next fall. Will we get a "Hilton unit" or "Westgate" Unit?

You should get a Hilton. Westgate trades with II.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going to Vegas, Barb? We're headed there the week of September 22-29, but staying at The Grandview.

Dori

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
stayed there in april on a trade. it is one of the most beautiful rooms we ever had at any timeshare resort. 33rd floor overlooking the strip. great location. would stay there again in a heartbeat if i went back to vegas.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
stayed there in april on a trade. it is one of the most beautiful rooms we ever had at any timeshare resort. 33rd floor overlooking the strip. great location. would stay there again in a heartbeat if i went back to vegas.

Did you get a Hilton/RCI unit or an II/Wastegate one?

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
We just returned this past Friday, and I agree this is the nicest time share unit we have stayed in since we bought our first time share week 10 years ago. We exchanged through Interval (exchanged a Starwood week) and we were not in a newer Hilton unit, we were in the older Westgate unit which was awesome.

I would LOVE to exchange back into this resort sometime in the future, but I don't think there is much availability. I have been looking on line in both RCI and Interval and have not seen any availability when searching for any dates over the next year. The unit was great, the location can't be beat and the amenities (fitness room, pool area ) are modern and really nice.

Sue

schiff1997

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
We just returned this past Friday, and I agree this is the nicest time share unit we have stayed in since we bought our first time share week 10 years ago. We exchanged through Interval (exchanged a Starwood week) and we were not in a newer Hilton unit, we were in the older Westgate unit which was awesome.

I would LOVE to exchange back into this resort sometime in the future, but I don't think there is much availability. I have been looking on line in both RCI and Interval and have not seen any availability when searching for any dates over the next year. The unit was great, the location can't be beat and the amenities (fitness room, pool area ) are modern and really nice.

Sue

Availability in RCI right now July through Dec 2014 all 2 bedrooms

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a funny thing, but my son age 16 loved the zebra lounger. Everyone has different likes and perhaps he loved it more because of his age. In any event it was a beautiful room that we all loved.
Sue

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Our son liked the Marilyn prints so much we got him some for his room at a garage sale. My wife like the lounger, she is petite and it fit her size. I was hanging over the edges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Golfer3737

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Resort Las Vegas
So may of those that got suckered into the nightmare of Wastegate Tower of Terror want so badly to be a part of Hilton now but don't understand Hilton just manages those original weeks for Wastegate now. They aren't part of and haven't been offered any chance to be made part of Hilton. The Hilton operation is separate from those original owners and seems it always will be. They do get to utilize the upgraded amenities and overall operation of the resort but not the newer units or any of the Hilton perks. Just another case of Wastegate raking owners over the coals as usual.

Golfer3737

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Resort Las Vegas
I have seen your posts re: Wastegate. I'm new here today. I want to rent my week, and I understand it is now at Elara. You sound like Wastegate owners get substandard rooms. Would I be out of line to ask for 900 for a week? Do I get a week first and then advertise it, or do I advertise the location and try to get the renters preferred week? Thanks for you response in advance. Frank

shamus56

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 2 westgate timeshares in the Elara and for the last 2 years have been treated very well. They have put me in the remodeled rooms every time. They were cheap to buy so I have no complaints at all. They can be traded through interval international only not through RCI

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Sorry I just realized that this was a 5 year old thread.

I have stayed in a 1 BR, a 2 BR and the 4 BR unit that overlooks the strip (which is actually a 2 BR, a Studio and a 1 BR Jr Suite). So I think that I have stayed in every single type of unit available.

Hilton now manages it, and sells all the inventory that was bought out of the Westgate bankruptcy.

If you own a Westgate unit, you are an owner in Westgate owner NOT an HGVC owner, so it is hard to complain about a company that you don't own your unit with. Complaining at HGVC because Westgate had to declare bankruptcy and sold that tower to get out of it, it is hardly HGVC fault. Westgate must have some condition that made it so Hilton were NOT allowed to convert Westgate owners into HGVC. Every other place Hilton has taken over, they have allowed conversions to happen, so I suspect that was a Westgate condition, not a HGVC one. So I think frustration is directed at the wrong party.

Aside from sour grapes on the bankruptcy, the unit and management are better off in HGVC's hands. The 4 BR units are spectacular. I do like the newer HGVC decor choices over the Westgate version.

If you are a TUG member, there are 25 reviews in our Review files.

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
How hard is it for a Hilton Grand Vacation Club member to use their points to get a week 52 at the Elara for New Years?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
How hard is it for a Hilton Grand Vacation Club member to use their points to get a week 52 at the Elara for New Years?

You would probably get more responses over in the HGVC forum.

I think Elara is challenging for New Years. I just checked the HGVC site, and both Elara and Flamingo are booked up on NYE. There is still some availability at The Boulevard and Paradise locations as well as Trump Tower. Those three are bit out of thick of things, so not as popular for New Years.