• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest and United Airlines: This 1 Simple Quote Explains the Huge Difference

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Southwest and United Airlines: This 1 Simple Quote Explains the Huge Difference
By Bill Murphy Jr./ Executive Editor of Operations, Spider/ Inc/ inc.com

"It's not really about what either of them did last month, or the month before. It's about what they've done over the years.

There's a big difference between United Airlines and Southwest Airlines, and it comes down to a quote from Maya Angelou:

"People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel."

Both airlines have put passengers through some horrible experiences so far this year. Yet I'm struck by the overall reaction--the feelings, to put it directly--that many people seem to have had about them after these events.

Let's recap:..."

Richard

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interesting article. and certainly rings true to me. I am a loyal Southwest passenger- Their passenger friendly rules have won me over big time! (Free bags, no change fees, refund fare difference if the price drops, etc)

I also have a personal experience on a SWA flight I always remember (have no such memory of any United flight even though I have taken several of them as well.)

MY wife and I were on a SWA flight from Denver to Cabo San Lucas for our honeymoon. This was in the days before they relaxed the use of electronics rules during take off and landing and my wife was trying to take a picture of us and I saw the flight attendant walking towards us- assuming he was going to scold her for having electronics out while we were preparing to take-off. Instead he grabbed one of the life vests they use for the safety demonstration and joined our picture wearing it with a big smile! Its a funny picture and reminds me why I always choose Southwest if its an option.

Reaction score
I've flown both Delta and Southwest over the last 18 months, and yes, SWA has been the best. Not only do you get 2 free checked luggage and 2 free carry-on, but the attitudes of the staff have been great! Delta does their best, but they rely on the "rah rah rah" videos to do the safety, but if they have to do it, they always miss one or more important points. With respect to the tragedy, SWA has been doing more than required, while United and others have done just the bare minimum.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I will say one thing, I would rather have a poor customer service experience than a poor experience with a mechanical issue with an aircraft in flight. That said while we have four flights booked this year with Southwest.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
But Southwest has a lot of planes in the air at once, and mechanical issues do happen.

It was Delta our daughter flew on 3/31, when the birds hit the engine and the plane had to return to JFK. That was scary for our daughter, but the kids thought it was all very exciting, and so did our son-in-law. They gave the passengers some sandwiches. I am glad they didn't have to walk on the wing in the Hudson River. Our granddaughter was disappointed they didn't have to walk on the wing to get on waiting boats. :) They received no additional compensation.

Two weeks before, SW had a problem with a plane and didn't let us off of the ground, which delayed us about 3 hours in the airport, and we didn't complain, just ate some lunch at a restaurant and relaxed a bit. We were glad they didn't put us on the plane and make us sit on the tarmac. A few days after our flight, we received $100 each in travel vouchers. The flight didn't even cost us $100 each. That was amazing. I think our flights out of SFO that day were $95.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
But Southwest has a lot of planes in the air at once, and mechanical issues do happen.
So do other airlines. Southwest is the fourth largest airline. It seems that Southwest has had more than their share of mechanical issues recently. Another one was just reported today. All that and the fuss over Allegiant earlier on these forums. Should the FAA be looking at Southwest with some more scrutiny?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Just back from a Florida to California trip on SWA. The cattle-herd seating and lack of back-seat video was mildly annoying... But the free-luggage compensated for that, as the TSA Precheck status.

Also, they held our connecting flight at the gate when our initial segment arrived late enuff that we would'a otherwise missed it. So...

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Just back from a Florida to California trip on SWA. The cattle-herd seating and lack of back-seat video was mildly annoying...
I would rather have "cattle-herd seating", as you call it, vs. what the majors do any day. First off, there is no "gate lice" with Southwest with the boarding number you are given. I can relax at the gate in my seat and walk to my boarding location 30 seconds before I board. I hate when I am in an earlier boarding group on the majors and have to push and shove my way just to get to the jetway. Second, with the majors everyone is trying to carry on as much as they can to avoid the checked luggage fees. That slows down the boarding process big time. If you do happen to board early and sit in an aisle, you are constantly being assaulted by people carrying huge "personal item" bags while wheeling their over-stuffed carry-on bags.

As for the back-seat video systems -- who actually likes those screens??? My phone and iPad have way, way, WAY better resolution, brigtness and clarity, not to mention sound that is an order of magnitude better. Not sure why anyone would use that pathetic screen these days when pretty much everyone has a much better system available to them in the form of a phone or tablet. And you don't have the annoyance of the person behind you adjusting or touching the screen in your seat back.

Kurt

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I would rather have "cattle-herd seating", as you call it, vs. what the majors do any day. First off, there is no "gate lice" with Southwest with the boarding number you are given. I can relax at the gate in my seat and walk to my boarding location 30 seconds before I board. I hate when I am in an earlier boarding group on the majors and have to push and shove my way just to get to the jetway. Second, with the majors everyone is trying to carry on as much as they can to avoid the checked luggage fees. That slows down the boarding process big time. If you do happen to board early and sit in an aisle, you are constantly being assaulted by people carrying huge "personal item" bags while wheeling their over-stuffed carry-on bags.

As for the back-seat video systems -- who actually likes those screens??? My phone and iPad have way, way, WAY better resolution, brigtness and clarity, not to mention sound that is an order of magnitude better. Not sure why anyone would use that pathetic screen these days when pretty much everyone has a much better system available to them in the form of a phone or tablet. And you don't have the annoyance of the person behind you adjusting or touching the screen in your seat back.

Kurt

I’m just the opposite. I much prefer the boarding by group. I am always group two on United so I don’t have to worry about carry on space and I get the seat I want.
I always bring a tablet with something loaded on it so not having the seat tv’s
Doesn’t bother me.