• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Re-qualifying Mandatory Weeks

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
We're pondering an offer from Vistana.

We own:
Direct purchase (before we found y'all)
- WKORV EOY odd (1 Bed OV, 81K SOs)
- Sheraton Flex EOY even (81K HOs/SOs)

Resale (free + title fee)
- Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella Annual (2 bed, Gold Plus, 67.5K SOs)

We still owe roughly $12K on the Flex purchase. We were offered to upgrade the EOY to Annual, plus re-qualifying the Bella week for what amounts to an additional purchase amount of $13K

Is it worth it for the additional 81K SOs EOY odd, plus re-qualifying the Bella?

We're considering this due to the Marriott take-over of ILG, and how they deal with resale ownership in their system, wondering if Bella would become a burden we can't get rid of. Re-qualifying would also give us 3* status - that and 3 bucks gets a cup of coffee, I know.

It also seems as if using Flex in II is far more advantageous than using week deposits. And finally, with Sheraton Kauai going into Flex, that raises that value considerably. (Our two most visited destinations are Orlando and Hawaii. We've pondered trying to get a WPORV resale, but the MFs are prohibitive there.)

Thoughts from the wisdom of TUG??

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
With Marriott taking over Vistana, I would not make any moves right now, because we have no idea how they are going to change the system.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're going to do a requal, I would give away the Bella week and get a 148k staroption week first. That would maximize the value of your developer spend.

But I agree it makes sense to wait until the merger shakes out, because otherwise in 3 years they'll be offering you a chance to give them more money to requalify for a combined program.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It doesn't really make sense to re-qualify the 67,100 Bella Mandatory week because you already get StarOptions out of that. They can't take that away from you post merger unless they take it away from every owner there. Buying a better voluntary week to re-qualify is a much better option. Though I agree with others, don't make any big moves right now because we have no idea how things will shake out.

KevSki

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought a Bella and Key West for cheap separately ( $1 and $300). We then bought two voluntary resorts which had 148,100 options. We traded the SVV timeshares back to Vistana (they give you 80% of the original purchase price, one was $22,000 back to us, the other was 13,000). We then bought the cheapest developer timeshares, used the money from the sell back to defray the developer buy in and retroed the 148,100 units. Hope that helps

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, we did a requalification of resale, trade in and purchase all with one transaction. We are now 4* Elite and really happy with how it all worked out. The sales team member we worked with stated he believes the requalification and trade-in policies may tighten up once the merger is completed. If you are going to do something, I would do it before rules potentially change.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
For what it's worth, we did a requalification of resale, trade in and purchase all with one transaction. We are now 4* Elite and really happy with how it all worked out. The sales team member we worked with stated he believes the requalification and trade-in policies may tighten up once the merger is completed. If you are going to do something, I would do it before rules potentially change.

Suuuuure. Like anything sales says which is intended to close a sale sooner has any truth to it at all. Yeah, right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Why 4*? Trying to get to 5*, or are you planning to use the 4* benefit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
Suuuuure. Like anything sales says which is intended to close a sale sooner has any truth to it at all. Yeah, right.

We were told this too, that Vistana was ending the policy of giving credit for resales, and the new money requirement to re-qualify will be increasing. This was before the Marriott-ILG buy out was announced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We were told this too, that Vistana was ending the policy of giving credit for resales, and the new money requirement to re-qualify will be increasing. This was before the Marriott-ILG buy out was announced.

Perhaps I was being too subtle. I don’t believe anything told by a sales employee who is directly compensated for closing deals. I don’t care if they tell me the sun rises in the east, I won’t believe it unless I can verify it independently.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

Last time I talked to direct sales (announcement day) there was no mention of this.

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why 4*? Trying to get to 5*, or are you planning to use the 4* benefit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David,

We didn't really need the 4* (Already Plat SPG and Marriott), but it came with the purchase. We wanted to requalify our Nanea 3 bedroom to do this, so while we were at it we purchased a cheap week and traded it in for a credit for a developer purchase. I wouldn't even go for 5* right now, even if I wanted to after Platinum since the new SPG credit card gives you Platinum with 75K annual spend and would make it super easy to obtain if not already there.

Darius

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score

Exactly Ken, that's why I said for what it's worth :).

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Exactly Ken, that's why I said for what it's worth :).

Then why did you suggest making a purchase before the rules change?

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Credit card is NOT THE SAME - Vistana 5*Elite gets SPG Platinum AND 50 NIGHT CREDIT each year = 5 SUITE NIGHT AWARDS.

See https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/5-elite-platinum-in-new-program.273774/
and Vistana FAQ's.

That would be very different than what we've been getting all these years -- 5* Elite got us SPG Platinum each year, but the same version as the Lifetime Platinums. You still had to stay 50 nights to get the additional benefit of 10x SNAs, stay 75 nights to get the additional benefits of extra point/Your24, and stay 100 nights to get the additional benefits of an Ambassador. None of these are included in base Platinum, they are all additional benefits you get as you cross a threshold to the next level up.

My understanding is that 5* Elite will get Platinum status in the new system (same as the Lifetime Platinums), but would still have to stay 50 nights to get the first 5x SNAs, 75 nights to get the second 5x SNAs, etc. just as before.

The online notes at Marriot say:

Annual Choice Benefit (5 Suite Night AwardsTM or Gift Option)
*Awarded with 50 qualifying nights

Additional Choice Benefit (5 Suite Night AwardsTM or Gift Option)
*Awarded with 75 qualifying nights​

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
That would be very different than what we've been getting all these years -- 5* Elite got us SPG Platinum each year, but the same version as the Lifetime Platinums. You still had to stay 50 nights to get the additional benefit of 10x SNAs, stay 75 nights to get the additional benefits of extra point/Your24, and stay 100 nights to get the additional benefits of an Ambassador. None of these are included in base Platinum, they are all additional benefits you get as you cross a threshold to the next level up.

My understanding is that 5* Elite will get Platinum status in the new system (same as the Lifetime Platinums), but would still have to stay 50 nights to get the first 5x SNAs, 75 nights to get the second 5x SNAs, etc. just as before.

The online notes at Marriot say:

Annual Choice Benefit (5 Suite Night AwardsTM or Gift Option)
*Awarded with 50 qualifying nights

Additional Choice Benefit (5 Suite Night AwardsTM or Gift Option)
*Awarded with 75 qualifying nights​

@YYJMSP -- the Vistana literature which promotes Gold and Platinum level status specifically states that the Platinum level will include Suite Night Awards as part of an "Annual Choice Benefit." It's possible that this is a mistake, but there is no mention of a minimum stay requirement. See the linked thread here: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/5-elite-platinum-in-new-program.273774/

In addition, the Vistana FAQ specifically states that the "stay qualifier [is] waived for 5 Star Elite VSN Members" here: https://www.vistana.com/news-faq#faq201804

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
@YYJMSP -- the Vistana literature which promotes Gold and Platinum level status specifically states that the Platinum level will include Suite Night Awards as part of an "Annual Choice Benefit." It's possible that this is a mistake, but there is no mention of a minimum stay requirement. See the linked thread here: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/5-elite-platinum-in-new-program.273774/

In addition, the Vistana FAQ specifically states that the "stay qualifier [is] waived for 5 Star Elite VSN Members" here: https://www.vistana.com/news-faq#faq201804

both of those statements are in lone with how it works now.

the SNAs item has a little dot that points back to the footnote that it only applies after 50 nights in the regular literature.

the nights waiver means we dont have to stay the 50 nights to get Platinum status, but doesnt mean we get benefits associated with min nights stayed.

regardless, we'll have to wait and see what actually happens in Aug and the new year.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
both of those statements are in lone with how it works now.

the SNAs item has a little dot that points back to the footnote that it only applies after 50 nights in the regular literature.

the nights waiver means we dont have to stay the 50 nights to get Platinum status, but doesnt mean we get benefits associated with min nights stayed.

regardless, we'll have to wait and see what actually happens in Aug and the new year.

The difference is that currently the "base" Platinum is Platinum with less than 50 nights. The new "base" Platinum starts at 50 nights with the 5 SNAs. There is no Platinum below the 50-night Platinum. The Vistana literature specifically states the benefit of 5 SNAs.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
The difference is that currently the "base" Platinum is Platinum with less than 50 nights. The new "base" Platinum starts at 50 nights with the 5 SNAs. There is no Platinum below the 50-night Platinum. The Vistana literature specifically states the benefit of 5 SNAs.

This is clearly correct.
AND there is some logic to "increasing" the benefits for base Platinum for 5*Elite.
1. Seems that new Marriott is removing the SPG benefit of "upgrade to any available suite at check in" and replacing with the Marriott benefit of "upgraded" room at check in. Upgraded room can include some "select" suites but mostly will be corner room, larger room, or better view.
2. New Marriott has created the 5 or 10 Suite Night Awards (which currently don't exist) to cover the reduced benefit but you only get it with 50 or 75 night stays.
3. Vistana Sales needs to have something to offer to get multiple weeks sold to same Owner so they are paying more for the annual 50 night credit to be included with Platinum for 5*Elite.

The scanned brochure and Vistana FAQs confirm this.

For me, I am much better off with the new increased Platinum benefits because I would rather have the Suite upgrades confirmed at time of reservation.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is clearly correct.
AND there is some logic to "increasing" the benefits for base Platinum for 5*Elite.
1. Seems that new Marriott is removing the SPG benefit of "upgrade to any available suite at check in" and replacing with the Marriott benefit of "upgraded" room at check in. Upgraded room can include some "select" suites but mostly will be corner room, larger room, or better view.
2. New Marriott has created the 5 or 10 Suite Night Awards (which currently don't exist) to cover the reduced benefit but you only get it with 50 or 75 night stays.
3. Vistana Sales needs to have something to offer to get multiple weeks sold to same Owner so they are paying more for the annual 50 night credit to be included with Platinum for 5*Elite.

The scanned brochure and Vistana FAQs confirm this.

For me, I am much better off with the new increased Platinum benefits because I would rather have the Suite upgrades confirmed at time of reservation.
The issue with Suite Nights Certificates is that the suite nights are not confirmed at the time of reservation, but instead they are asigned 5 nights before arrival until 2pm of check in day. If nothing is svailable, the suite certificates are returned. In addition, the number of nights in the reservation must match number of suite night certificates used to redeem.

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then why did you suggest making a purchase before the rules change?

Hi Ken - If you read my post above it says "potentially". I don't work for Vistana, but it would make sense to me as someone who has done several mergers that things could absolutely change - and could very likely will. Therefore, my suggestion is that if someone is considering doing something non-standard (i.e. requalification, trade-in, etc) I would recommend doing it BEFORE any POTENTIAL change.

To some people, resale without any qualification ever is no problem. To others, there are real benefits to having all the developer features available.

youknowthenight

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought a Bella and Key West for cheap separately ( $1 and $300). We then bought two voluntary resorts which had 148,100 options. We traded the SVV timeshares back to Vistana (they give you 80% of the original purchase price, one was $22,000 back to us, the other was 13,000). We then bought the cheapest developer timeshares, used the money from the sell back to defray the developer buy in and retroed the 148,100 units. Hope that helps
Am I reading this right that you can trade-in resale weeks and get 80% of developer value if you buy a new unit?