• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Snorkeling on Maui?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You were all great offering tips about snorkeling at Two Step. Now I'm curious about snorkeling on Maui. We're staying at Ka'anapali Beach Club, and will have a car. Where is the best snorkeling from shore on Maui? I don't want to have to ride a boat to do this. Ideally, setting up at a nice beach for the day, and having periodic forays out into the water to see the fish and such would be great. Any suggestions?

Dave

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I recall Shark’s cove was a drive to destination.

Molokini requires a boat but it’s worth it.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Airport Beach (about a half mile south of KBC and immediately south of WKORV) has a good reef; it is frequently used by diving companies for beach-access scuba dives. It is the beach WKORV/N owners rave about because it is a "walk to" from there. It is a public park with lawns and facilities.

Kapalua Beach (immediately north of Merriman's; 2-3 miles north of KBC) is also good; we have been approached by turtles there. But parking can be difficult.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My favorite spot is right in front of WKORV. There is a park there called Kahekili Park (since you won't be able to use the WKORV facilities) that has bathrooms and showers. I just saw Robert's response pop up - Kahekili=Airport Beach. The reef is quite good. Black Rock is nearby and while it isn't the greatest snorkeling, it is a bit more protected from currents - at least before you get out to the end - and it is a good back up on surgey days. There is usually a turtle hanging out there, and we even saw an octopus last year. Black Rock is my go-to for beginners because it is a very easy sandy entry and because so far, we have seen a turtle every time. It is very crowded though.

Down south, there are very nice reefs at Ulua Beach. It is my favorite when we are staying in that area. Lots of fish (saw a manta there once) and beautiful coral, but since you are staying in the Lahaina area, I wouldn't make the drive unless you want to see different areas while you are on the island.

Honolua Bay is another popular area. We went there on a boat so I can't comment on parking or shore access, but I know it can be done. It was a beautiful area.

We've been to Molokini 4 or 5 times. We used to take one of the boats that did a 7:00 trip, back by 9:00, before our return flights, lol. I love being out on the water and it was fun to go, but as far as fish count, I was always disappointed. YMMV.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
While we have not snorkeled at Black Rock Beach many people recommend it. There are also several locations along Hwy 30 between Lahaina and Maalaea. I believe our favorite is Mile Post 19. May have MP# wrong so check at dive shops. We also like La Perouse Bay.

One thing I have found about snorkeling on Maui is you want to be in the water NLT 8am. No crowds, no waves, little wind, clear water. We are usually done by 11am. Well this is actually true where ever we go.

Sactownhammer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali Beach Club, Sands of Kahana, Kona Coast, Kahana Falls, Grandview.
My favorite spot is right in front of WKORV. There is a park there as well called Kahekili Park (since you won't be able to use the WKORV facilities) that has bathrooms and showers. I just saw Robert's response pop up - Kahekili=Airport Beach. The reef is quite good. Black Rock is nearby and while it isn't the greatest snorkeling, it is a bit more protected from currents - at least before you get out to the end - and it is a good back up on surgey days. There is usually a turtle hanging out there, and we even saw an octopus last year. Black Rock is my go-to for beginners because it is a very easy sandy entry and because so far, we have seen a turtle every time. It is very crowded though.

Down south, there are very nice reefs at Ulua Beach. It is my favorite when we are staying in that area. Lots of fish (saw a manta there once) and beautiful coral, but since you are staying in the Lahaina area, I wouldn't make the drive unless you want to see different areas while you are on the island.

Honolua Bay is another popular area. We went there on a boat so I can't comment on parking or shore access, but I know it can be done. It was a beautiful area.

We've been to Molokini 4 or 5 times. We used to take one of the boats that did a 7:00 trip, back by 9:00, before our return flights, lol. I love being out on the water and it was fun to go, but as far as fish count, I was always disappointed. YMMV.
Honoloa Bay does have shore access. You have to find parking on the side of the road, or just past the entrance in a shaded area. You have a short hike through a rain forest. Entering the water is a little tricky. You have to sit on ricks and drop yourself into the water. It’s worth it. You could pay for a snorkeling cruise. Most catamarans go there. It’s sheltered during the summer. Winter it becomes a surfing spot.

Sactownhammer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali Beach Club, Sands of Kahana, Kona Coast, Kahana Falls, Grandview.
You were all great offering tips about snorkeling at Two Step. Now I'm curious about snorkeling on Maui. We're staying at Ka'anapali Beach Club, and will have a car. Where is the best snorkeling from shore on Maui? I don't want to have to ride a boat to do this. Ideally, setting up at a nice beach for the day, and having periodic forays out into the water to see the fish and such would be great. Any suggestions?

Dave
I own 3 weeks at KBC. The snorkeling in front of the resort is decent if the water is calm. You will see diving companies use that area.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
My favorite spot is right in front of WKORV. There is a park there called Kahekili Park (since you won't be able to use the WKORV facilities) that has bathrooms and showers. I just saw Robert's response pop up - Kahekili=Airport Beach. The reef is quite good.

I second this recommendation. We've been amazed at what we've seen in this location.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Some great ideas, everyone. Thanks! I'm getting excited to be there. :)

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Our first trip to La Perouse Bay finally convinced Patti to get Booties. You walk across lava rock to get to the water. No problem with a good set of Booties. Patti had on her normal flip flops. So when she got to the water she sat down and then tossed her flip flops as far as she could on the rocks to make sure any waves did not wash them a way. Then I had to retrieve them for her when we were done. Now she has and wears Booties. They are also great for walking and swimming in waterfalls pools, which quite often have sharp rocks such as Hanakapiai Falls on Kauai or any of the numerous waterfalls on the Road to Hana.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We usually stay at the Valley Isle on Lower Honoapillani Road and for snorkeling we always go to Kapulua Beach. There is free parking with restrooms and showers here. Merriman's restaurant is on the east end of the beach and is a good place to hangout for sunset. There are always plenty of people to chat with and so many turtles here. It has never been over crowded when I am there. This is also a good place to park to walk the coastal trail.

I like to do a snorkel loop around the bay. Its all good.

Bill

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that the snorkeling conditions in West Maui where you're staying can be wildly different than the conditions in South Maui at any given moment. On one trip to Maui, the snorkeling was remarkable in front of WKORV the whole week and everything in Wailea and Makena was unswimmable. It was just the opposite for our last trip - I tried at least three different times in front of WKORV and the water was consistently murky and the waves were probably strong enough that I shouldn't have been swimming in there. The flip side of that is Kihei/Wailea/Makena were all dead calm and visibility was amazing.

In West Maui, I have found the best snorkeling to be in front of WKORV as others have mentioned. Parking is readily available there and there are showers. If conditions are bad there and you need a quick snorkeling fix, Black Rock is pretty much always swimmable even if conditions aren't pretty on the other side of the rock. The reef is not at all exciting there, but it's kind of the McDonald's of snorkeling - you'll always see something there, even quite a few turtles.

In South Maui, my favorite spot is right in front of the Makena Surf condos. Parking there is fairly limited and access is somewhat hidden, but it's rare to see more than three or four families on that beach. There are always turtles there and I saw all sorts of creatures I hadn't seen elsewhere. The HOA there provides a nice shower. Another really good spot is the beach on the extreme south end of Kihei. If you dip in there, you can easily swim up to the beach in front of the Andaz hotel. The reef is huge and very interesting.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another really good spot is the beach on the extreme south end of Kihei. If you dip in there, you can easily swim up to the beach in front of the Andaz hotel. The reef is huge and very interesting.
I'm pretty sure that you are describing Ulua Beach which is between the Andaz and the Marriott. It is an awesome reef.

slabeaume

Reaction score
There are so many great places to snorkel from the beach on Maui! Honolua is great, but about a 10 minute walk to the water and a very rocky shoreline. Kapalua is fantastic---easy entrance and since it's in a bay, it's often calm. Kahakili is great---fairly easy entrance, but does usually have a pretty good drop off in the sand as you enter the water. Black Rock---I wasn't that impressed. MM14---fantastic--usually calm because of the huge reef, shallow for quite a ways out, somewhat spooky because of how far out you can end up with it being so shallow over the reef. Kamaole 3 easy entrance and decent snorkeling. Makena Landing---lots of turtles, not much else. Maluaka---only place I've seen lagoon triggerfish; a great reef that runs quite a distance from the south side of the beach. Ulua---nice relatively small reef area with lots of red pencil urchins. Ahihi---in a preserve so the fish are huge and plentiful; the bay is rather small but there is so much to see in it. The Dumps---also in the Ahihi preserve; bit of a walk over a path in the lava to a rocky beach; coral and fish are abundant---possibly my favorite place to snorkel, but also a bit scary for how open it is to the ocean and the large fish that lurk out there. As an avid snorkeler, I have tons of snorkeling pictures in my blogs. Here's my blog from our 2018 Maui trip in Feb. You should be able to get a good idea of what the beaches look like and what you might find there:
http://livingthealohahi.blogspot.com/2018/01/2018-maui.html

taffy19

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that you are describing Ulua Beach which is between the Andaz and the Marriott. It is an awesome reef.
It is and used to be one of our favorite spots but best early in the morning when ocean is calm. Parking is better now than other years. It is a favorite spot for beginner diving lessons.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Agree about going early. I try to be out no later than 9 no matter where we go. After that the winds kick up and mess with the visibility.

taffy19

Reaction score
There are so many great places to snorkel from the beach on Maui! Honolua is great, but about a 10 minute walk to the water and a very rocky shoreline. Kapalua is fantastic---easy entrance and since it's in a bay, it's often calm. Kahakili is great---fairly easy entrance, but does usually have a pretty good drop off in the sand as you enter the water. Black Rock---I wasn't that impressed. MM14---fantastic--usually calm because of the huge reef, shallow for quite a ways out, somewhat spooky because of how far out you can end up with it being so shallow over the reef. Kamaole 3 easy entrance and decent snorkeling. Makena Landing---lots of turtles, not much else. Maluaka---only place I've seen lagoon triggerfish; a great reef that runs quite a distance from the south side of the beach. Ulua---nice relatively small reef area with lots of red pencil urchins. Ahihi---in a preserve so the fish are huge and plentiful; the bay is rather small but there is so much to see in it. The Dumps---also in the Ahihi preserve; bit of a walk over a path in the lava to a rocky beach; coral and fish are abundant---possibly my favorite place to snorkel, but also a bit scary for how open it is to the ocean and the large fish that lurk out there. As an avid snorkeler, I have tons of snorkeling pictures in my blogs. Here's my blog from our 2018 Maui trip in Feb. You should be able to get a good idea of what the beaches look like and what you might find there:
Your pictures are beautiful! :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

@slabeaume Great pictures. Love the blog. Thanks for the info!

May I offer a piece of info for you? The birds in the first picture of your Kahekili Beach snorkel section - those are Java Rice Birds, also called Java Finches. Very cool to see them in flocks. Very industrious little critters. :) https://www.thesprucepets.com/java-finches-as-pets-390633

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
All this talk about snorkeling makes me wish August could come faster for our 2 week stay on Maui. It also reminds me of our first trip to Maui 15 years ago. We agreed to meet Patti's Sister and BIL at MP19(¿?) on Hwy 30 in the early afternoon for snorkeling. We arrived but they never did (it turned out they went back to the Condo for some alone time). We had been told there are 3 times never to snorkel - never snorkel where fresh water meets the ocean (sharks have learned that animals or animal bodies are washed into the sea); never snorkel when the water is murky (sharks tend to come closer to shore); and, I do not remember the third.

The water was murky that day but we decided to try and make it out. Patti was wearing an anklet. As we were swimming out Patti felt a tugging on her anklet. Then a little puffer fish would swim from her ankle to right in front of her mask. We would change our direction from out to parallel to the Beach. After a bit we would turn out. In a few moments Patti would once again fell a tugging on her anklet and the little puffer fish would swim right in front of her mask. This happened 3 times and we gave up and returned to the Beach. We learned sharks had been spotted in the area we were trying to snorkel.

Another day we did snorkel this beach early in the morning (8am). It was beautiful. No wind, no waves, and almost no people. We shared the whole beach with one local and the water with a pregnant Monk Seal.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The water was murky that day but we decided to try and make it out. Patti was wearing an anklet. As we were swimming out Patti felt a tugging on her anklet. Then a little puffer fish would swim from her ankle to right in front of her mask. We would change our direction from out to parallel to the Beach. After a bit we would turn out. In a few moments Patti would once again fell a tugging on her anklet and the little puffer fish would swim right in front of her mask. This happened 3 times and we gave up and returned to the Beach. We learned sharks had been spotted in the area we were trying to snorkel.

If the anklet was shiny, that would certainly explain it. Sunlight flashing on shiny things looks to other fish like the reflected scales of smaller, potentially edible-sized fish. So the puffer probably thought the anklet, on a moving ankle in a swim fin, looked like a snack. I'm told barracuda will strike on shiny things in the water. Fishing lures with spoons are intended to reflect the light the same way, to attract a fish into biting on it. In some areas of the world, pearl divers will wear gloves to cover the lighter skin on the palms of their hands, so as not to attract predator fish. When I first moved to Oahu as a teenager, a neighbor kid kept calling me "Shark Bait." I thought it was a nickname, until he explained it was because I was so pale. After I got a good tan, he stopped calling me that. :)

Dave

Reactions: Xan

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If the anklet was shiny, that would certainly explain it. Sunlight flashing on shiny things looks to other fish like the reflected scales of smaller, potentially edible-sized fish. So the puffer probably thought the anklet, on a moving ankle in a swim fin, looked like a snack. I'm told barracuda will strike on shiny things in the water. Fishing lures with spoons are intended to reflect the light the same way, to attract a fish into biting on it. In some areas of the world, pearl divers will wear gloves to cover the lighter skin on the palms of their hands, so as not to attract predator fish. When I first moved to Oahu as a teenager, a neighbor kid kept calling me "Shark Bait." I thought it was a nickname, until he explained it was because I was so pale. After I got a good tan, he stopped calling me that. :)

Dave
Just back from Cozumel. I got my vacation manicure just before we left and picked a delightful bright pink nail polish (the opposite of the neutral that is work appropriate). But the fish loved it and kept trying to nibble on my fingers. I was a little creeped out!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500

Dave

I would agree except after tugging on the anklet the little puffer fish would swim around and get right in front of Patti's Mask preventing her from swimming out and it did this 3 times. Also each time we stopped swimming out it would swim away until we again turned and headed out.

The locals said it was probably Namaka looking after the stupid haole.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
I remember as a kid living in the Military Housing in Ewa Beach. We lived at 5293 Iroquois Drive right next to channel into Pearl Harbour and there was a lagoon at the end of the Road. One day we (myself and 2 brothers) would be swimming in Pearl Harbour or the Lagoon. The next day we would be fishing for Barracuda, small sharks, whatever we could catch. Some times we would jump the Military Launch over to Hickham. It was a great place for a kid to spend ages 6 to 10.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I remember as a kid living in the Military Housing in Ewa Beach. We lived at 5293 Iroquois Drive right next to channel into Pearl Harbour and there was a lagoon at the end of the Road. One day we (myself and 2 brothers) would be swimming in Pearl Harbour or the Lagoon. The next day we would be fishing for Barracuda, small sharks, whatever we could catch. Some times we would jump the Military Launch over to Hickham. It was a great place for a kid to spend ages 6 to 10.

I lived in Kailua as a teenager. Moved there at 14. Left when I joined the Navy a year after graduating high school. I spent a lot of time snorkeling a d body surfing in Kailua Bay, at Makapuu, or out at the Twin Islands. It was an amazing place to be a teenager.

Dave