• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

17 mos old in Hawaii, best Luau?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We will be staying at Westin Ka'anapali in June with my daughter, son in law, son and 17 mos old granddaughter. They would like to go to a Luau. Which one would be the most fun with a toddler but would also be fun for adult children? Any other not to be missed for toddlers? So grateful for TUG!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
IMNSHO, Luaus are geared for adults, and are long and boring for children, who will get tired of sitting, and will not enjoy the food. Luaus are also expensive, and it's costly to take children who won't enjoy it anyway. Personally, I would not take small children to a luau.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
To be honest when we would go and our daughters were young, their favorite thing was the pool (and we had a pool at home). They liked the beach as well, but loved the pool. The thing we had to remember was to go at their pace. That meant naps and shorter visits to many places.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be staying at Westin Ka'anapali in June with my daughter, son in law, son and 17 mos old granddaughter. They would like to go to a Luau. Which one would be the most fun with a toddler but would also be fun for adult children? Any other not to be missed for toddlers? So grateful for TUG!
My gut reaction was "ask the hotel for name of babysitter" -- there does not exist a luau geared even to preschoolers. My second thought -- perhaps one of the grandparents would be gracious enough to stay in the room rather with child so the rest of group could fully enjoy their evening. (Not to mention nearby strangers may not appreciate a sqirming child nearby.)

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did a luau last month at the Sheraton on the Big Island. It was my first one in quite some time. My teenage kids really wanted to do it.

There were a lot of families with children at this event, but not any toddlers. The age group most represented was about 6 -12. The luau did a great job of catering to them. There were some craft activities before dinner and then during the show, they asked all the kids to move up to the front of stage area so they would be more engaged.

The Sheraton luau was pretty small by luau standards. It was set up on a large grassy area of the hotel known as the "luau lawn". The tables were nicely spaced apart, and if one was seated at the back of the seating area, there was plenty of lawn area to run around on.

If bringing a very young child, I would look for a smaller luau that doesn't cram everyone together at long tables and that is set up in an expansive area with lots of nearby diversions. I wouldn't sit anywhere near the front, because during the long evening you will be getting up and down a lot with a toddler.

Most luaus don't charge for children under the age of three. Why? The child will hardly eat anything and nothing at the event is geared to their interests.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
IMNSHO, Luaus are geared for adults, and are long and boring for children, who will get tired of sitting, and will not enjoy the food. Luaus are also expensive, and it's costly to take children who won't enjoy it anyway. Personally, I would not take small children to a luau.
Actually, I agree but her mom and dad and uncle want to go and she does love music so we will hope for the best

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK so I will show all these replies to her parents and let them decide. Appreciate all the feedback!