• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Check your car rental rates

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We're heading to Hawaii soon. As always, I'm checking my car rental rates often, looking for a lower rate, hoping to score a hidden deal. Costco continues to be my go-to for that.

Just a head's up that rates are lower than they've been for awhile. The Big Island volcano activity likely has something to do with that. But today, on Costco.com I scored a Standard SUV for $200, all in, for a week over the Memorial Day holiday period. This was $15 cheaper than the lower rate I found yesterday on a smaller car. Not bad. :thumbup:

Go check your reservations. You may also find a deal you didn't know was there.

Dave

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We're heading to Hawaii soon. As always, I'm checking my car rental rates often, looking for a lower rate, hoping to score a hidden deal. Costco continues to be my go-to for that.

Just a head's up that rates are lower than they've been for awhile. The Big Island volcano activity likely has something to do with that. But today, on Costco.com I scored a Standard SUV for $200, all in, for a week over the Memorial day holiday period. This was $15 cheaper than the lower rate I found yesterday on a smaller car. Not bad. :thumbup:

Go check your reservations. You may also find a deal you didn't know was there.

Dave
Good reminder. Even though I have my reservations entered into AutoSlash, which is supposed to be checking for me, it never hurts to double check. Our next reservation is in Vancouver BC and that rate dropped a bit a couple of weeks ago. Trip is a little over two weeks away, hope it will drop again.

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas,
HGVC MAX, Worldmark, Wyndham CWA
Thanks for the heads up! Just redid my Costco reservation and saved about $50 on our reservation on the Big Island in June. Will keeping checking back on the rates between now and when we go in mid-June to see if it goes down any more. Now just hoping that the three day reservation we have in Hilo (after a week at the Bay Club at Wailiola) so we could do the Chain of Craters drive is not a bust (have already done the NP and Kīlauea Ike trail hike) but it looks like it may be. If so, I am sure we can find other things to do on that side of the Island!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for the heads up! Just redid my Costco reservation and saved about $50 on our reservation on the Big Island in June. Will keeping checking back on the rates between now and when we go in mid-June to see if it goes down any more. Now just hoping that the three day reservation we have in Hilo (after a week at the Bay Club at Wailiola) so we could do the Chain of Craters drive is not a bust (have already done the NP and Kīlauea Ike trail hike) but it looks like it may be. If so, I am sure we can find other things to do on that side of the Island!

Happy to help. Good luck! And check those rates often - I found rates lower today than they were yesterday. Different class of car, but a lower price on a better vehicle.

Be sure to check the Volcano NP website for details on open/closed roads inside the Park. Last I'd heard, Chain of Craters Road was closed. The Visitors Center is open, and Crater Rim Drive is only open between the entrance and the Jagger Museum. Thurston Lava Tube was closed, too. https://www.nps.gov/havo/learn/news/20180507_pr_updates.htm

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, it was worth looking, but I already had the low cost spread. Again, Costco, 30% off Budget's price, one free day, size upgrade and free second driver. Woo-Hoo!
Jim

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas,
HGVC MAX, Worldmark, Wyndham CWA
Prices down another $15 today, canceled and rebooked... going to look a bit crazy in the reservation system I think when all is said and done at this rate! Ideally would like to reserve a mini-van so we only have one car (six adults), but at the moment renting two cars is cheaper than one mini-van (and by quite a bit) for the same period, but will keep watching those a well.

I saw that the Chain of Craters road was closed so will just need to keep an eye out on the NPS site to see if it reopens before we go in June.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Thank you for this reminder Dave - I just saved about $300 on two future reservations!
Cancel and rebook those lower rates!
We don't often rent cars so I am a bit surprised by seeing such a price drop in summer in Boston and Vancouver. But I like it!

Thank you, Dave.
I may have to break out my HAL-9000 avatar.....

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thank you for this reminder Dave - I just saved about $300 on two future reservations!
Cancel and rebook those lower rates!
We don't often rent cars so I am a bit surprised by seeing such a price drop in summer in Boston and Vancouver. But I like it!

Thank you, Dave.
I may have to break out my HAL-9000 avatar.....

That's amazing! My $15 savings might be a fast food burger. Yours is a full-on fancy dinner! ;)

Dave