• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

who has rented interval travel week deposits expiring

Domastimeshare1979

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has any one tried to rent out weeks that are not reserved for a specific location and they are going to expire in a few months

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Interval does not permit you to rent ANY of their products, and if you get caught, the consequences can be serious.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Denise is spot-on.

Heck, I'm not even sure what your question is: by "interval travel week deposits," do you mean a week you have deposited to Interval but not yet exchanged? If so, then the answer is also "No" as you may not withdraw or remove a week once deposited to Interval.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Interval does not permit you to rent ANY of their products, and if you get caught, the consequences can be serious.
Where can I find that Interval rule on renting? There is a guy on Facebook who is adamant that Interval has no problem with renting exchanges.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Suzanne - It's in Interval's published terms and conditions. There are Tuggers who have gotten caught renting exchanges, and II froze their accounts with deposits & exchanges sitting in them.

If you quietly rent to friends and family occasionally, you probably won't get caught, but if you advertise on the internet to strangers, you are much more likely to get caught.

People usually get caught because:
-Someone finds out they are renting exchanges and actually calls and turns them into II.
-The renter innocently calls II to "confirm their rental" - and inadvertantly turns them in.
-II monitors the popular rental websites and sees your Ad for an exchange that you have in your II Acct.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Suzanne - It's in Interval's published terms and conditions. There are Tuggers who have gotten caught renting exchanges, and II froze their accounts with deposits & exchanges sitting in them.

If you quietly rent to friends and family occasionally, you probably won't get caught, but if you advertise on the internet to strangers, you are much more likely to get caught.

People usually get caught because:
-Someone finds out they are renting exchanges and actually calls and turns them into II.
-The renter innocently calls II to "confirm their rental" - and inadvertantly turns them in.
-II monitors the popular rental websites and sees your Ad for an exchange that you have in your II Acct.

A poster on Facebook reported that she had just gotten off of an Interval suspension for renting an exchange. Another poster claimed he called Interval and was told that rentals were fine.I’ll check the terms and conditions. Thank you.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Others have reported that sometimes an entry level person at II will tell someone that it is OK to rent their exchange - but that lower level person does not have the authority to over-ride the published rules, nor will they be the person who handles it if you get caught.

This has been discussed and documented many, many times on TUG - there is no doubt what the rules are.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Here is the section from the II T&C.

16. The Host Accommodations may be used only for personal and noncommercial purposes. Members are expressly prohibited from exchanging or renting the Host Accommodations, including, but not limited to, offering the Host Accommodations for sale or rent to third parties through the use of a Guest Certificate or otherwise. Failure to use the Host Accommodations will not entitle Members to use the Home Resort accommodations for the period relinquished. Confirmations are issued only in the name of the Member placing the exchange request, and Host Accommodations may be used only by the Member and accompanying guests, unless a Guest Certificate is obtained from II. There is a fee for each Confirmation assigned via a Guest Certificate which must be paid, plus any applicable tax, when the certificate is requested. This Guest Certificate fee is in addition to the exchange fee required when the exchange request is placed. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Interval Platinum Members are not required to pay a Guest Certificate fee when requesting a Guest Certificate for their guests. Guest Certificates may only be obtained for personal or noncommercial purposes. Failure to secure a Guest Certificate where required for a guest of the Member when the Member does not plan to occupy the Host Accommodations (including instances where the Member has been issued Confirmations for multiple units having the same travel dates at the same Member Resort), or obtaining Guest Certificates that are used for commercial purposes may result in termination of the membership and cancellation of any existing Confirmations, including those with future travel dates. Guests of Members who arrive at a Host Resort without a Guest Certificate will be denied access to the accommodations until the Member has purchased a Guest Certificate from II.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A poster on Facebook reported that she had just gotten off of an Interval suspension for renting an exchange. Another poster claimed he called Interval and was told that rentals were fine.I’ll check the terms and conditions. Thank you.

You seeing this on one of the Aruba Marriott pages? I caught that discussion myself. He is wrong.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Let me be the first to admit it.......I'm guilty.

Yes, guilty. Guilty of turning in several commercial renters to Interval.
No, not a person who quietly tried to rent an exchange they can't use due to hardship, but hardcore commercial renters with the name, address, email and phone number for their TRAVEL agency posted in the ad with numerous exchange listings.

Yup, I turn in people who try to turn exchanging into profit.

At least one of those businesses was operating here on TUG and has been warned multiple times and may have been delisted recently.
So, you can freely tell folks that some people who personally use and rely on exchanges for their personal vacations.....work to bust those try to turn exchanging into a business for profit.

And yes, before you ask, most of those who I've caught are flagrant and openly advertise what they are doing, perhaps because they think they won't get caught. Not a 'one time thing,' but advertising multiple weeks, resorts and even extolling the 'Interval guest certificate' with the renters' names on it.

Sorry if you think this is harsh or inappropriate, but I'm not a big fan of those who routinely and intentionally abuse the system.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can say first hand that my account was frozen just because they suspected I was renting an exchange even though I wasn't. I sometimes try and exchange into reservations I own that I will personally use and if successful I rent out the owned unit. II saw my listing on Redweek under my name and matched it up to an II reservation I had. They quickly unlocked my account when I explained that it was an owned reservation, but clearly listing the exchange for rent is prohibited. They mainly target accounts with a large number of reservations but the underlying rule applies to everyone. No public listing of any type of II reservation for rent. Forget what a level phone rep states. Knowing the rules and enforcing them is far above their list of duties and pay grade. They have restrictions within their system access just like we do in order to keep them from doing something unauthorized.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Funny, I too was 'grilled' by Interval this last year.

I had ongoing searches for multiple weeks on Kauai. I had extended family staying and we needed 2 units on 1 of 2 weeks. So, I matched one unit for one week and then continued to search for more units.... Ultimately, I was successful in booking two units for the same week at the same resort. Wonderful trip!

But, it clearly looked like I was fishing to reserve multiple weeks at multiple resorts for very peak-season weeks.
Much to their credit, Interval was quick to politely insure that I was not booking these units for prohibited purposes.

I was glad to see the policy being 'politely' enforced.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My post is getting off the main topic... It's interesting that some people have been inadvertently "caught" when they weren't even doing a rental, and yet there are these power exchange "Travel" companies that seem to get away with it. Makes me wonder if II is in cahoots with some of the people who do massive numbers of exchange rentals for profit, while enforcing the rules on what appear to be minor situations. Very strange... I often travel with 3 or 4 families on Xmas or New Years prime week trips and will get 3+ units at the same resort during bulk space bankings. I have never had II or RCI phone me to ask about whether I am renting the units.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Here is the section from the II T&C.

16. The Host Accommodations may be used only for personal and noncommercial purposes.

As I wrote before, there is a similar language prohibiting commercial activity with owned weeks, at least with the week I own, but I am sure others have something similar. If we strictly follow the rules, we should not rent our owned deeded weeks, not just exchanges.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
As I wrote before, there is a similar language prohibiting commercial activity with owned weeks, at least with the week I own, but I am sure others have something similar. If we strictly follow the rules, we should not rent our owned deeded weeks, not just exchanges.

Your point is well taken. But.

I'm laisse-faire on the ownership (weeks especially) so long as the reservations are not manipulated in such a way as to deny other owners a reasonable opportunity for the enjoyment of their ownership as well. An example: Mega-renters that book, cancel, re-book for profit (dead) or create chained reservations (also dead I think) to grab all the holidays etc.... actively deny smaller owners the enjoyment of ownership. Of course, that's just one person's opinion.

OTOH, marketing limited, discounted and leveraged exchanges to a large customer base (somebody always wants something that's available) for profit in direct contradiction to T&C's.... clearly degrades the experience of the non-commercial owner.

Frankly, I don't the major's in the timeshare industry could afford the finance tumult were they to enforce some draconian 'no rental' policy on their owners. Especially those resorts (Maui) with high resale value and massive MF's.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My 2¢: I couldn't care less if someone rents their exchange. I am not the enforcer for the exchange companies.

But I do care if a Tugger gets their account locked, or a renter loses their money, because they got the wrong info on TUG.

So my goal is to present the risks involved, so that people can make an informed decision, not to be the Interval police.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Great post Denise.

I'm not this contentious about most things, but with the increased costs and decreased availability for high-quality exchanges, I guess it just pushes my buttons.
Sort of the same way that 'pay up front' timeshare scams get others really hopped up.

In any case......the OP now knows the truth and risks.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

This depends on the resorts. Worldmark and many other resorts allow owners to rent their own weeks.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2

Difference of opinion, if I bought and paid for a deed week, have a registered deed, and if I choose to rent it for what ever reason, then that's my business. But that's a much different situation than booking a week through II and then renting that out. To that I'm too new to understand all of the in's and outs, so no comment.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Difference of opinion, if I bought and paid for a deed week, have a registered deed, and if I choose to rent it for what ever reason, then that's my business. But that's a much different situation than booking a week through II and then renting that out. To that I'm too new to understand all of the in's and outs, so no comment.
The problem is that when you acquire a deed, you agree to the provisions within the CCRs that may stipulate the no commercial activity clause. So you don't necessarily have the right you think you do since your ownership is governed by those underlying documents for the condominium.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Clearly, some folks have never lived/owned a 'no-rentals allowed' condo.

That can get ugly in a hurry! :cool: