• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Valdoro Questions

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I was looking at the Valdoro resells and I have some questions.

1. There are some resell packages that are ski and summer double points. Am I right in thinking that the summer points are only used for non ski season or club reservations?
  2. Can the ski points be used for club reservations at other resorts?
  3. Are the ski and summer packages considered one deed with one transfer fee or would it be two with double the fee? I’m assuming the MF’s are doubled.
Valdoro looks like an awesome resort that I want to learn a little bit more on. The thought of owning a ski week in Breckenridge is enticing to me. Throwing in the summer points is something we might want to do anyway, so we would be killing two bird with one stone.

Sorry I’m asking so many questions. I want all the facts before we start the purchasing process and this community has so much information and advice that I want to take advantage of. Thanks to all that have helped and replied so far!

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
There are some resell packages that are ski and summer double points. Am I right in thinking that the summer points are only used for non ski season or club reservations?
The summer week will only have Home Week reservation for the summer. Valdoro has 4 seasons, platinum, gold, silver and bronze. But it also divides the platinum seasons into ski and summer. But of course, you can book anything in a club reservation.

Can the ski points be used for club reservations at other resorts?

Yes, points are points. Some of the ski weeks are fixed and some are float. So if you have a fix, you will need to release the fix week.

Are the ski and summer packages considered one deed with one transfer fee or would it be two with double the fee? I’m assuming the MF’s are doubled.

I am not sure on the answer to the first question. I would ask the broker (@Sapper might also know the answer to this question), but I think that since there are two weeks, you will have two transfer fees. On the second, you will have double the MFs because you will own two weeks.

Last edited:

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The summer week will only have Home Week reservation for the summer. Valdoro has 4 seasons, platinum, gold, silver and bronze. But it also divides the platinum seasons into ski and summer. But of course, you can book anything in a club reservation.

Yes, points are points. Some of the ski weeks are fixed and some are float. So if you have a fix, you will need to release the fix week.

I am not sure on the answer to the first question. I would ask the broker (@Sapper might also know the answer to this question), but I think that since there are two weeks, you will have two transfer fees. On the second, you will have double the MFs because you will own two weeks.

I have not reached the point where HGVC wants $$$$ for the transfer/activation fee, so not 100% on this, but I was told by the seller that they will want two fees because it is two unit/weeks... so $1200 for the third party transfer/activation fee.

dayooper, the reason I ended up purchasing at Valdoro as opposed to a Vegas property (with cheaper maintenance fee to point ratio) is I wanted to make sure I would be able to get a ski week here (buy where you want to go). With my son starting school next fall, being able to book a specific week will become important for the next decade and a half. When I researched Valdoro, I found that it can be tough to get the exact week you may want in club booking season. They have "fixed week ski" units, but I am not sure which week will be best for us in the future (week 7 for Presidents day, week 12/13 for spring break, or a different week if the school calendar changes down the road), so ended up with a couple of "float" weeks.

I am curious about something... in all of the other HGVC properties, the reservation window starts 12 months prior to the use week check out day (or something close), with club booking starting nine months prior. With Valdoro, I will have one "float" ski week and one "float" summer week. It does not have a fixed week on the estoppel (literally says "float ski" "float summer"). SO, how do I know when the home booking or club booking window opens? Is it something like 12 months prior to the winter solstice and summer is 12 months prior to the summer solstice? Or 12 months prior to the week the lifts start running? Or 12 months prior to the "Lungbuster" ultimate Frisbee competition?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
but I was told by the seller that they will want two fees because it is two unit/weeks...

That is what I would think too.

the reservation window starts 12 months prior to the use week check out day (or something close),

It is 12-months before the check-in date for Home Week reservations. This is true for the summer and winter ski weeks too. So looking at the calendar for Valdoro, winter ski weeks are 1-15 & 47-52. (I don't see event weeks for Valdoro) Summer platinum weeks are 26-36.

So, if you wanted to book 2019 week 1 ski week (Jan 5-12), you would be able to make that reservation at midnight EST on Jan 5, 2018.

I hope that helps.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
btw, Home week reservations are non-changeable. There isn't a fee to book. So, if you want to change, you can cancel and then book a new Home Week reservation. The only issue is if you need to change the reservation at 30-days are less, you will be subject to the loss of points depending upon when it is made:

30-15 days - forfeiture of 25% of points used
14-6 days - forfeiture of 50% of points used
5-0 days - forfeiture of 100% of points used

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is what I would think too.

It is 12-months before the check-in date for Home Week reservations. This is true for the summer and winter ski weeks too. So looking at the calendar for Valdoro, winter ski weeks are 1-15 & 47-52. (I don't see event weeks for Valdoro) Summer platinum weeks are 26-36.

So, if you wanted to book 2019 week 1 ski week (Jan 5-12), you would be able to make that reservation at midnight EST on Jan 5, 2018.

I hope that helps.

Makes so much more sense than the winter solstice! Thanks!

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
btw, Home week reservations are non-changeable. There isn't a fee to book. So, if you want to change, you can cancel and then book a new Home Week reservation. The only issue is if you need to change the reservation at 30-days are less, you will be subject to the loss of points depending upon when it is made:

30-15 days - forfeiture of 25% of points used
14-6 days - forfeiture of 50% of points used
5-0 days - forfeiture of 100% of points used

OK, so because the home week reservation is non-changeable, the trick of just changing the use date to more than thirty days out and then cancelling will not work. My future frustrated self is thanking you for that bit of information now. :)

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, so because the home week reservation is non-changeable, the trick of just changing the use date to more than thirty days out and then cancelling will not work. My future frustrated self is thanking you for that bit of information now. :)

Yes, MF's are double but activation isn't. The title company charged me double and then refunded half when Hilton processed the sale/transfer.

If you have a fixed week at Valdoro you have to release it and then those points will show up in your account and you can do whatever you want with them. If you have a "float" week you can book it 12 months out from the date you want to check-in. You can use your summer week for the winter/ski but would only be able to book it 9-months out.

Valdoro is awesome. If you're going to use it then owning there is a must to secure whatever dates you want/need based on school breaks and such.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, MF's are double but activation isn't. The title company charged me double and then refunded half when Hilton processed the sale/transfer.

If you have a fixed week at Valdoro you have to release it and then those points will show up in your account and you can do whatever you want with them. If you have a "float" week you can book it 12 months out from the date you want to check-in. You can use your summer week for the winter/ski but would only be able to book it 9-months out.

Valdoro is awesome. If you're going to use it then owning there is a must to secure whatever dates you want/need based on school breaks and such.

Thank you for the info. I will watch the activation fee to see what happens.

Assuming you have a float ski week, what kind of availability is there during home week booking for high demand weeks (52, 7, 12)?

I'm looking forward to using it!

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Year-end (week 52) - impossible. :( Sorry. I've tried and tried and never been able to get it and never even seen that week open up temporarily through someone cancelling.
February (week 7) - really not too bad as long as you're on there right at 9 months.
March (week 12) - pretty tough, if you're not on at 9 months you won't get it initially but may get lucky by checking back frequently. Earlier March is easier than later March.

What unit did you get? We have a 1BR+ and a 2BR+.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Not that I am looking to buy this to rent, but is a two bedroom pretty easy to rent? I know the holiday weeks are, but what about a week like 2, 3 or even a 14? Would the rates be able to cover the maintenance fees? I'm not looking to buy it to rent, but would like to know in case we can't travel that particular week that year.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Year-end (week 52) - impossible. :( Sorry. I've tried and tried and never been able to get it and never even seen that week open up temporarily through someone cancelling.
February (week 7) - really not too bad as long as you're on there right at 9 months.
March (week 12) - pretty tough, if you're not on at 9 months you won't get it initially but may get lucky by checking back frequently. Earlier March is easier than later March.

What about at the 12 month out point as opposed to the 9 month out point?

2BR+ for both ski and summer, both are listed as "float"

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What about at the 12 month out point as opposed to the 9 month out point?

2BR+ for both ski and summer, both are listed as "float"

I use my "home week" (12 month window) for March dates. As long as you are on there the day it opens up you'll be fine for Jan/Feb/Mar. I've never seen anything open for week 52. The people with the fixed weeks apparently never release them.

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not that I am looking to buy this to rent, but is a two bedroom pretty easy to rent? I know the holiday weeks are, but what about a week like 2, 3 or even a 14? Would the rates be able to cover the maintenance fees? I'm not looking to buy it to rent, but would like to know in case we can't travel that particular week that year.

If you sign up for TUG we can message each other and perhaps I can help answer this question. :rolleyes:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
If you sign up for TUG we can message each other and perhaps I can help answer this question.

I think that you can have a conversation with a guest TUG.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use my "home week" (12 month window) for March dates. As long as you are on there the day it opens up you'll be fine for Jan/Feb/Mar. I've never seen anything open for week 52. The people with the fixed weeks apparently never release them.

Ok, thank you for the info.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think that you can have a conversation with a guest TUG.
I was trying to recruit a new member. :cheer:

You had me at vacation.

It's something that I will do. When I do something, I go all out in the research department and this was one aspect I had planned.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
OK, so because the home week reservation is non-changeable, the trick of just changing the use date to more than thirty days out and then cancelling will not work.

You can purchase cancellation protection for $62 when you initially make your Home Week reservation.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch

I've booked week 52 at Valdoro. This past ski season in fact. It's not impossible, but it does require an understanding of how fixed week owners release their week for points. The 9 month thing doesn't really apply to Valdoro because fixed week owners don't lose their week at the 9 month mark. They lose it if/when they give it up. I use my points almost exclusively at Valdoro during ski season, stretched across 6 trips last season. I'm not that lucky, and I have yet to find any reason to own at Valdoro for ski season availability. I'm also not convinced 7 days is a great way to approach ski trips, but to each their own.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've booked week 52 at Valdoro. This past ski season in fact. It's not impossible, but it does require an understanding of how fixed week owners release their week for points. The 9 month thing doesn't really apply to Valdoro because fixed week owners don't lose their week at the 9 month mark. They lose it if/when they give it up. I use my points almost exclusively at Valdoro during ski season, stretched across 6 trips last season. I'm not that lucky, and I have yet to find any reason to own at Valdoro for ski season availability. I'm also not convinced 7 days is a great way to approach ski trips, but to each their own.

When do fixed weeks owners release their units then?

I figure the first three days is just going to be adjusting from sea level. I'm not 19 in the Army running 12 miles a day anymore either! Haha.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
When do fixed weeks owners release their units then?

I figure the first three days is just going to be adjusting from sea level. I'm not 19 in the Army running 12 miles a day anymore either! Haha.

When they decide to go somewhere else. Digging through my email, I booked Xmas week on 7/26/17.

We have the luxury of driving slowly up to 9k feet, so my 7 day comment is cheerfully withdrawn.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you reserve a home ski week other than your fixed week? Example: if we had week 1 and wanted week 11, can I do that at 12 months prior or do I need to wait until the 9 month mark?