• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best rci points for the buck

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, landed a deal for $250 all-in on a 98K contract. I figured if we decided we didn't like it, we could at least not be hurt unloading it. So far it's been a great value for us.
I can't wait to start using mine! Just sent the RCI documents in, waiting to get my points account up and running!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Agreed. Some of the 98,000 contracts sell for $1500+ Without current year's use. But sometimes you can get them almost free. I was recently able to get a week through ebay for $1000 total including all closing/transfer/rci transfer fees that included 2018 points (which would have been $804 in maintenance fees.) So basically it was $200. It's not as good as a 122,000 contract, but the upfront cost was almost nothing. However, over 5 years, the 122,000 contract will get an additional 110,000 points. That's worth half the cost of a 122,000 point contract. It seems the 122,000 point contracts hold their resale value, so if you have the cash available, it seems to make better sense to get a 122,000 contract at Grandview (assuming you need 122,000 points a year.)

When I bought our first Grandview week a few years ago I watched the eBay listings for months before I bought. For a 98,000 point week I paid a little less than one third of what the 122,000 point weeks were regularly selling for. When I ran the numbers it would take about 9.4 years to break even on the higher cost to get those extra 24,000 annual points. Five years or less to break even I would have considered acceptable. However I should add that if we were 10-15 years younger I would have paid more to get the 122,000 point week. The 98,000 point week I bought was 4th of July week which should be helpful when the time comes that I want to get rid of the week.

needgeech

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit 4BR, Grandview and Woodstone points
Keep an eye out for Woodstone Points. They are rare at this point, but are not on everybody's radar and alert list like "Grandview 122k points" are. In fact many people still have the "Don't look at Woodstone" effect since they converted to points and killed off great PFD's. We grabbed a Fixed week 26 4BR converted to 137k RCI points biennial, which equates to 68.5K yearly for $440 annual MF. Bought it for "$400" after subtracting free usage + RCI membership. Long term this works out better for us than 122k or 137k points annually. We can always borrow from next years points for a big trip, but honestly most of our vacations are last minute, and down at the beach for 6500-7500 points or so. I like gambling for the deal! When we tried to plan out an Orlando trip in advance, it was cheaper to buy a rental off ebay at the same place with cash than with full points + transaction fee (i.e. silver lake 154,000 points + $239 vs. same for $1000 cash). Of course that situatuion is due to the gluttony that is Disney/Orlando.

SharonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grandview is in the Vacation Village group. They all have pretty good points value for the MF you pay. I got 92,500 points for $150 with an extra 92,500 in the bank. The MF was $880. That was two years ago and the MF has gone up to $1,000 in two years which is a pretty big increase.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many years ago when I wanted to get into RCI Points I found a resort, Peregrine (near Galveston, TX) that gave me a Points Week for like $100 just to cover their expenses. I think they just wanted someone to pay the MFs. I suspect you can find a Resort today to do the same thing just by calling around.

George

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grandview is in the Vacation Village group. They all have pretty good points value for the MF you pay. I got 92,500 points for $150 with an extra 92,500 in the bank. The MF was $880. That was two years ago and the MF has gone up to $1,000 in two years which is a pretty big increase.
Are you sure this is Grandview? Grandview fees are $804. Presidential Villas at Plantation Resorts is $880 for the year.

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure 92.5k means it's the one in Orlando - Parkway, maybe? But I think the basic point was that many of the VV properties for a pretty sweet points valuation.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes 'more' isn't necessarily better. I own a nice 2BR 2BA TS in Arizona. It gives me almost 60,000 RCI points a year for around $800. There are better deals around, but also some not so good. The important thing is that timesharing is not the only way we vacation. I have found that I usually 'spend' around 35K for a week in a nice 1 BR unit. So That means I get easily 2 weeks for that $800 MF. PLUS $500 in RCI Exchange fees AND $100 RCI membership.

Imagine having 122K to spend every year. If you just need 1BR units, You'd have roughly 4 a year, pay RCI $1100 + your MF+ transportation. It may nbe exactly what you want, but if the idea of timesharing is to vacation on the cheap, this seems to defeat the purpose.

Jim

I am confused by your analogy. I get 122,000 RCI points with my Grandview Las Vegas. It cost me $845 a year in total for MFs and taxes. If I don't use the full 122,000 points I don't pay exchange fees on them. They simply fall off.

You pay the same MFs money as I, and get less than 1/2 of my points. How is this a better deal?

You pay a Penny and a 1/3 (.013) per point. I pay 1/6 of penny per point (.006). Granted that both contracts are really bargains. I am sure we are both able to get a great use of our RCI points.

I am also RCI Platinum. I like having the ability to bank my points to the next use year using my Platinum membership.

I also like that I can get a free Vacation Village week every year for free, although I have never actually done that.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Two other options. Oakmont in Pigeon Forge, TN I get 48,000 RCI Points and pay $410 in MF. Sedona Pines in Arizona. I have two weeks. One gives 52,500 points and the other 44,000. MF on each week is $523.

I'm pretty sure Oakmont has HOA owned weeks for sale cheap.

JeffDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monarch Grand Vacations
Pardon my hijacking this thread, but how is it that identical underlying weeks get assigned differing points values at resorts like Grandview? Or aren't the underlying weeks identical?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Pardon my hijacking this thread, but how is it that identical underlying weeks get assigned differing points values at resorts like Grandview? Or aren't the underlying weeks identical?
Either the underlying week or the size is different. Grandview is a fixed week resort. The points are based on the week and the unit type 1BR or 2 BR. They also were sold as annual, Biennial, and Every third year.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Oakmont has HOA owned weeks for sale cheap.

If serious, call them. If the price is right, this could be a cheap way to get into RCI Points. As I posted earlier this is what I did with Peregrine many years ago. It cost me next to nothing.

George

MelissaI

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If serious, call them. If the price is right, this could be a cheap way to get into RCI Points. As I posted earlier this is what I did with Peregrine many years ago. It cost me next to nothing.

George

I just purchased a unit in RCI points at Oakmont. Not all of the units there are in RCI points. There are fixed weeks, flex weeks, and then fixed weeks that are in RCI points. So, you need to make sure the HOA units for sale are in RCI points. I picked mine up on Sumday Vacations for $49 all in, with use of the 2018 points.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)

I'm not 100% sure how that worked but I think it's probably seasonality.

hyperjewl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten
I get 137,000 per year with MF @ $775 for a 4BR LO at Woodstone Massanutten.

When you bought your Woodstone points, were they always points or did you convert them from weeks? Also, can you tell me how many different exchanges that allows you to get with that point value? We own 4BR LO with Summit, floating weeks, worth 24 tpu per week (48 per year). It's hard for me to justify the extra cost of adding points or converting to points without knowing if I can work the RCI points the same was as I can the trading power. We tend to only exchange into 2-3 bedroom units. I'm always trying to find out more from current owners so that if we decide to add/convert, we can make the best choices.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Bought it as points. I don’t think Summit is a Points Resort at Massanutten, so you wouldn’t be able to convert. I generally have a hard time using up the points I get from the Woodstone unit because I have other TS weeks to use as well. I do get 3-4 weeks out of them in 2 BR places.

Last edited:

hyperjewl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten
Bought it as weeks. I don’t think Summit is a Points Resort at Massanutten, so you wouldn’t be able to convert. I generally have a hard time using up the points I get from the Woodstone unit because I have other TS weeks to use as well. I do get 3-4 weeks out of them in 2 BR places.

We wouldn't be able to convert. The question would be if we were to buy a different points resort (ideally at low maintenance fees), have RCI Weeks, then be able to roll the summit into points through RCI for $49/week, if we saw the value in the points. So far, I haven't really been able to see the value add in the points for us to justify spending the extra upfront cost or the extra yearly maintenance fee. If I saw the benefits, either through greater availability, or other benefits, I would consider it.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Ahhh; I think it would get you something like 60,000 points per 2 BR week as points for deposit (PFD). In my opinion, the only thing you really gain that way is the ability to use the Summit week to book RCI Points resorts that aren’t in weeks or for stay lengths different than a week. I have a couple of TS that I could use for PFD, but haven’t in years because I’d just as soon deposit with SFX or other non-RCI exchanges or use via Wyndham as PIC weeks.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Bought it as weeks. I don’t think Summit is a Points Resort at Massanutten, so you wouldn’t be able to convert. I generally have a hard time using up the points I get from the Woodstone unit because I have other TS weeks to use as well. I do get 3-4 weeks out of them in 2 BR places.
how much did they charge you to convert?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
how much did they charge you to convert?

My mistake; meant to say I bought as points. That was before I found TUG, of course.... Fixed in the original post.