• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How Long for New RCI Points Account

MelissaI

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am acquiring a resale timeshare that is a fixed week in RCI points. In 2019, I would like to use the fixed week. The resort does not handle reservations if the unit is in RCI points, so my understanding is that I need to confirm the fixed week with RCI before 12 months from the date of the fixed week. This would be week 25. That gives me about 8 weeks. Once the deed is recorded and the resort makes the transfer, how long for RCI to set up the points account?

beachgurl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VV Weston
I have a new weeks account - my new RCI account showed up 1 month after the purchase. We were told it would be 30-45 days....

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I agree with the 4-5 week estimate. If it does take longer the fee to reserve at 12-11 months at your home resort is $50. I know you would rather avoid that but at least it wouldn't be the regular exchange cost.

MelissaI

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok. So if I can't reserve it as my fixed week, I could probably still get my week by making a home resort reservation and paying the $50?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
It will depend on your home resort. I have a fixed week in points at Woodstone (Massanutten) and can still make a June 2018 home week reservation today if I want. Some other resorts don’t allow that, and would consider it to be a home resort reservation for the $50, as noted by tschwa. (That would be subject to availability as well.). You might check with someone that owns at whatever resort you’re getting to see how it works there; I don’t think you had mentioned which one it is in your posted questions.

MelissaI

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It will depend on your home resort. I have a fixed week in points at Woodstone (Massanutten) and can still make a June 2018 home week reservation today if I want. Some other resorts don’t allow that, and would consider it to be a home resort reservation for the $50, as noted by tschwa. (That would be subject to availability as well.). You might check with someone that owns at whatever resort you’re getting to see how it works there; I don’t think you had mentioned which one it is in your posted questions.

It's Oakmont Resort in Pigeon Forge, TN. I contacted the resort and since the week is in RCI points, they defer all questions as well as the reservation process to RCI. They don't handle the RCI points weeks at all.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's Oakmont Resort in Pigeon Forge, TN. I contacted the resort and since the week is in RCI points, they defer all questions as well as the reservation process to RCI. They don't handle the RCI points weeks at all.
Can't you ask the current owner to reserve the use for 2019? And then the week can transfer with the purchase.

MelissaI

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't you ask the current owner to reserve the use for 2019? And then the week can transfer with the purchase.
The transfer is through SumDay Vacations and they said that they do not have contact with the owners. I asked the same question. I contacted SumDay again today (they are very responsive). I was told that "the seller has already signed the RCI MTA Forms releasing the points to a new owner for the 2018 use year, once the deed is recorded, the original recorded deed along with the RCI forms and a check for $98.00 will be mailed out to you to complete and submit to RCI. If you do not already have an RCI account, you will be required to set one up and send $124 to RCI as well."

I contacted RCI and they told me that the resort has to handle the creation of the RCI points account. So now I'm confused.

Last edited:

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I purchased an RCI points account, it was done the way SumDay vacations explained. I was sent the information and mailed it to RCI myself. After sending in my check and the paperwork to RCI, it took about 3 days to get the account set up with RCI. You will likely have the account setup with RCI before week 25 so shouldn't have a problem reserving your own use week.

MelissaI

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I purchased an RCI points account, it was done the way SumDay vacations explained. I was sent the information and mailed it to RCI myself. After sending in my check and the paperwork to RCI, it took about 3 days to get the account set up with RCI. You will likely have the account setup with RCI before week 25 so shouldn't have a problem reserving your own use week.

Thanks so much. That makes me feel so much better. I am excited to use the week, but also happy it comes with the flexibility of points.

MelissaI

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

So I contacted RCI today and asked about this. I was told by the representative that if the current owner confirmed use of the 2019 fixed week, that it would be confirmed on their account and wouldn't transfer to mine when my account is created.

MelissaI

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to update, I submitted my transfer application on Friday, May 11 and I received notification that the account had been created on Friday, May 18. So, it only took one week for the account. The only hold-up now is that it shows that I have an outstanding balance of the $98 transfer fee and the $124 fee for the new membership. Checks were submitted along with the transfer documentation, so I guess it just hasn't been applied to the account. I can't book my home week until they apply my payments.