• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flooding on Kauai [Merged]

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Scary stuff! Stay safe, everyone!

Dave

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Yes I heard From my cousin who lives in Hawaii. Scary weather!

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I heard at one point it was 27 inches of rain in 24 hours. Things can get very bad quickly with numbers like that.

They are working on the roads with mudslides and hope to have them ready by the time they reopen the Hanalei bridge.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our friends just got home 2 nights ago after spending a week in Princeville followed by a 2nd week at Lihue. Even when they were there weather was so bad that they stayed mostly indoors towards the end of their stay.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Yikes. That sounds awful. Those poor people.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We’re here on Kauai, staying at the Marriott Kauai Beach Resort. Weather report this evening said Hanalei has had 20.7 inches (!!) of rain in the past 24 hours. We were planning to enjoy dinner up at the St. Regis in Princeville last night, but decided to stay close. It was a good decision. The Wailua Bridge (the bridge just south of Kapa’a near the Coco Palms) was closed and remains closed at this writing.

More rain is on the way tonight, but forecast is for clearing beginning tomorrow.

We’re headed home tomorrow and do not anticipate problems getting out.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Letter from Kauai Beach Villas Mgr:

Hi Denise,

You may have been reading about some localized flooding on the island of Kauai due to heavier than normal rainfall in the past few days.

We wanted to let you know that Kauai Beach Villas is open and we have some minor clean-up underway now that the rain has subsided.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call us at (888) 477-6967. You can also find updates on our website and on Facebook.

Warm regards,
Clinton Owen
General Manager

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I’ve been watching some videos on YouTube. Waters are starting to recede. I’m sure we’ll see some damage while we’re there in 17 days.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Did you notice the sand piled up out by the far end of the pier? You can walk around out there right now. Incredible video.

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I saw video of the buffalo that got loose walking around out there, unreal.

Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was pretty bad in Hanalei, which is like the bottom of the geographical bowl on the North Shore of Kauai. Here's the story:
Record-Breaking Rains Devastated Kauai's Hanalei Bay This Weekend

It rained more than 28 inches within 24 hours in the popular vacation spot.

1c732beb-b2e6-4452-9419-116ad83c592a_1472047406.jpg

by LYNDSEY MATTHEWS
APR 16, 2018
hanalei-bay-flooding-1523891697.jpg

GETTY IMAGESINSTAGRAM
Record-breaking rains in Hawaii caused widespread devastation on the north shore of Kauai over the weekend, damaging property and stranding tourists in the Hanalei Bay and Princeville areas of the island.

With over 28 inches of rain in 24 hours in Hanalei, Hawaii Governor David Ige issued an emergency proclamation for the region. Flash flood warnings were also issued throughout Kauai on Sunday, April 15.

View image on Twitter

NWSHonolulu

✔@NWSHonolulu

https://twitter.com/NWSHonolulu/status/985707524811784193

Flash Flood Warning continues for Lihu'e HI, Kalaheo HI, Hanama'ulu HI until 7:45 PM HST

7:32 PM - Apr 15, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Take a look at these before and after scenes from Kauai.

BEFORE
hanalei-bay-floods-534034335-1523891925.jpg

GETTY IMAGES
AFTER
View image on Twitter

Barry Taylor@eminiwatch

https://twitter.com/eminiwatch/status/985589457163177984

Hanalei Kauai 8am 15Apr18. Flooded after 28 inches of rain in 24 hours. #Kauai #Hanalei

11:43 AM - Apr 15, 2018

BEFORE
hanalei-bay-floods-145160358-1523891954.jpg

GETTY IMAGES
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
AFTER

BEFORE
hanalei-bay-floods-97001713-1523891986.jpg

GETTY IMAGES
AFTER

Hawaii DOT@DOTHawaii

https://twitter.com/DOTHawaii/status/985686851557052416

Kauai #hitraffic update: This is new video of Hanalei Bridge. The water level has reached 14.6 feet. Kuhio Hwy remains closed in the both directions. Avoid the area.

6:10 PM - Apr 15, 2018

According to the Hawaii DOT, the water level this weekend reached 14.6 feet at one point underneath the Hanalei Bridge. Because of this and multiple landslides, the Kuhio Highway—the main road into Princeville and Hanalei—will remain closeduntil the Kauai Emergency Management Agency can declare it safe, effectively cutting off the region from the rest of the island until further notice.

There have been no injuries reported yet, but a herd of buffalo from a local farm were swept out into the bay after their paddock flooded. Luckily, several locals herded at least one of the frightened animals back to shore.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
People’s homes weren’t as lucky, however. Dozens of houses were damaged or flooded by the rains.

So far, the Red Cross has opened three shelters to accommodate victims who have been displaced by the flood. Forty people, who were mostly tourists, were stranded at the Red Cross shelter at Hanalei Elementary School on Sunday, where they ran out of food and water during the storm.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a CNN report on the rainfall, damage. For those familiar with Hanalei, scroll down to look at the overhead shot of the shopping center in the middle of Hanalei.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I know at least one Tugger (WalnutBaron) was on Kauai during the storm. Anybody else? Are you ok?

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This looks like Opeakaka falls.

It is. I wonder what Wailua Falls looked like during all this? Like a baby Niagara, I'll bet.

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is. I wonder what Wailua Falls looked like during all this? Like a baby Niagara, I'll bet.

Dave

It did. I saw some video on that one too.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Very sad.

Here's a tip for anyone watching the video or in a similar situation.

See the downed powerlines and underground cables? That means danger. Walking and standing on wet ground next to exposed cables and downed powerlines is always dangerous. Yes, they are off (you think) but what happens if power is restored unintentionally or by damage? Poof.

Also, flood waters around such destruction are often teeming with bacteria and harmful toxins. Really stay away from the flood waters.

Be careful out there in HI!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
This looks like Opeakaka falls.

Yes, it looks like it. I had the river right but the waterfall wrong I guess.

Bill

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers go out to all on Kauai who have lost their homes and those who had to evacuate. What a dreadful situation. My granddaughter is heading to Maui at the end of this month. Has anyone heard what the situation is on Maui in regard to rain or flooding? Please let me know if you are there or if you heard anything. Thank you.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I'm not in Hawaii now, but to the best of my knowledge, the flooding on Maui is insignificant compared to Kauai. I think a few roads in Kihei are still washed out/closed, but nothing significant. I think 30 is closed 3 miles east of Lahaina, but there's a detour.

I'm sure that some north shore/Hana Highway roads/bridges are interesting, but Maui did ok.

God bless the people on north shore Kauai though.... they are suffering.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Michael Coley is on Kauai right now. He said there were a few days of rain, so probably not as bad as the last floods were. He posted a picture on FB of his family enjoying shave ice yesterday. I will ask him about the flooding.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's the latest on the flooding, road closures, brown water warnings, and other highlights from the torrential rain of last weekend on the North Shore of Kauai.