• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II/ All Inclusive Meal Plans

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing annoys me more than the resorts that it is mandatory to purchase the all inclusive meal plan. If I wanted that type of vacation I would not have purchased a timeshare property...anyway it is what it is. Is there anyway of knowing what the additional cost is for the all inclusive meal plan locations? or do you have to book first prior to being told what the cost is?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You have to start to book. It is on the 2nd page as you click though in fairly small print under important advisements. Prices listed are usually per person per day based on two per bedroom (or 2 in a studio) based on 7 nights. Most are at least $100 pp/pd. Some are more than double that. There are a few in the DR that are in the $40-$80 range.

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I wonder if I am alone in my feelings about this?

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

No, I don't think you are. We learned early on (in the '80's) that using our RCI week (& later our points) to go to an AI resort was not good value, especially when you add in the airfare to get there. You will most likely find a package deal for a lot less. We have even investigated non AI mandatory RCI resorts in MX and the Caribbean and when we add in airfare (we don't have many/enough FF miles) it is beyond our budget.

We stick with booking AI packages separately and then using our timeshare time on places we can drive or fly cheaply to.

~Diane

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My wife is a travel agent and we have looked at a lot of AI packages. You can certainly get 6 nights in an AI with air for about the same, if not less than just the AI fee of these exchanges. Not even counting the MFs on your underlying deposit. I have only read a very few situations where you can come out ahead, I think that happens if you are traveling with a larger group.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
I have never chosen AI for the same reasons. Seems pretty pricey when you factor in airfare and Timeshare MF. But there are those who prefer not to hurt their head on meal ,alcohol or activity fees. I have family members who only vacation that way. For my budget it's too pricey which is why I have not gone to Punta Cana.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The AI prices via an II exchange are not a good deal for most people. (Just because II offers it, doesn't make it a good deal.) Those who have compared II's prices to vacation packages (airfare + hotel w/ AI) find that the package is usually the better deal.

The good news is, there are very few AI resorts in II - but some Caribbean islands are full of AI. Once you figure out which islands to skip in II, it is less frustrating.
Aruba, Grand Cayman, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, St. Thomas all have resorts which do not require the all-inclusive meal plans.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

Listen to dioxide45 and do not book an AI resort through II. You can get a better deal for the very same resort for far, far less.

Also if you drink liquor it is not a good idea and I had strong feelings about this long before the media coverage. I would never touch all you can drink liquor no matter where it is. There are thousands of places in the US that put low price liquor in premium bottles and what they do in other places is even worse.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Nothing annoys me more than the resorts that it is mandatory to purchase the all inclusive meal plan. If I wanted that type of vacation I would not have purchased a timeshare property...anyway it is what it is. Is there anyway of knowing what the additional cost is for the all inclusive meal plan locations? or do you have to book first prior to being told what the cost is?

I see you are from Ontario, I think that you will find that booking AI through one of the "charters" (ie sunwing) out of Toronto will be less money that via an AI with II. I've added up the numbers, charters always win by hundreds of dollars, even if I fly through DTW, which is closer to me than YYZ.

Personally, I feel like AI's herd you like sheep...buffet times, Al la carte bookings, activities, all of those scheduled event so I mostly avoid them. Food service typically sub-par, drinks average, always line ups, towels on chairs all of that can be routinely found with AI's. Certainly are a few exceptions, but very few.

I'm just back from Roatan, been to Belize, St.Lucia and a other Caribbean locations, and very much prefer the "on your own" property, you just need to understand whats near by before selecting.