• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I need 200K MR points [Lifetime MR status - MERGED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Assuming the new Platinum is equal to the old Gold status. Looks like perks are equal.

I am currently a little short of reaching Marriott LT Gold with about 600 nights but only 1.4mil LT points. I was planning on reaching LT Gold next January by turning 2 timeshares into MR Points. Question now is will I achieve LT Gold or LT Platinum at the end of the year? Or neither?

Any suggestions on getting the 200K MR Points before August?
I have a Marriott Rewards Premier card currently.
I think I can purchase 50K MR points and maybe due the same for my wife and roll them over. Will they count?
Can I purchase points in SPG and roll over or purchase and hope they automatically combine in August?
Can I close my Chase card now and reapply? How long in between?
Can I convert timeshares now and hope the MR points show up soon? I've never done it this early and thought the MR points won't be there until January anyway.

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
Terry,
You can close existing Marriott Rewards card and apply for a new one, provided your existing card is > 24 months old (ie. to earn the bonus, there must be a 24 month gap between new card open and last time you earned a bonus). Suggest waiting 30 days or so between closure of existing account and opening new one (I did this last year with only about a 2 week gap, application was initially declined with reason "you already have this card", so had to work with Chase application reconsider team to get it reprocessed and approved. *** Current bonus I see is 75k points, if someone has a link for 80k or 100k, please post the link here.

You can have both a Chase MR personal and a Chase MR business card. Do you have a small business that this might apply to? You can earn the current 75k bonus for BOTH cards.

Amex has an SPG card with 25k SPG Points incentive. 25k SPG points converts to 75k MR points, I think these would get combined in August and count for LT status provided earned and in SPG account by then.

Any chance to do an MVCI presentation, with 25k or 30k incentive? They never seem to offer me a presentation when I need one!

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be at Imperial Palms in 3 weeks. I will check into the presentation. I also already have an AMEX card, not sure how that will affect my ability for the AMEX SPG card. They have been sending me incentive emails to upgrade to platinum so maybe they'll offer a similar incentive to go to SPG.

I'll be running out of time to meet the spending requirements as well.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to prepay 2019 maintenance fees in order to get MR Points early for timeshare conversions?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Does anyone know if it is possible to prepay 2019 maintenance fees in order to get MR Points early for timeshare conversions?
You can convert your 2019 weeks to MR points now, the points will post in September if all goes as history shows. You don't need to prepay your MFs to do this.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Buy an encore package when you do a presentation on your upcoming timeshare trip. Depending on the price you could get over 100k points with the encore plus 25k for going.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Assuming the new Platinum is equal to the old Gold status. Looks like perks are equal.

I am currently a little short of reaching Marriott LT Gold with about 600 nights but only 1.4mil LT points. I was planning on reaching LT Gold next January by turning 2 timeshares into MR Points. Question now is will I achieve LT Gold or LT Platinum at the end of the year? Or neither?

I think I can purchase 50K MR points and maybe due the same for my wife and roll them over. Will they count?
Can I purchase points in SPG and roll over or purchase and hope they automatically combine in August?
Can I convert timeshares now and hope the MR points show up soon? I've never done it this early and thought the MR points won't be there until January anyway.
Points transferred from spg do not count
Points transferred from your wife (note that more than 50k can be transferred, as long as it's once per year and in order to complete a (potentially-cancellable) reservation.

So theoretically you could buy 50k Mr, so could your wife, you could buy 30k spg and transfer them to your wife's spg, and your wife could buy 4k spg herself., Your wife would then transfer 34k spg to her Mr account (=102k) add the 50k she has purchased and transfer the 152k to you.... Add 50k you purchase yourself and you have just legitimately added 202k points to your MR account.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, assuming you mean to get points for the Marriott purchase by using an MR rewards credit card?

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With the new system, it looks like the number of points does not matter for lifetime status? Was there anything that said timeshare stay nights will/won't count toward lifetime status. Also for the 50 nights for suite upgrades is that 50 paid nights or do timeshare nights, credit card nights, free stays count? I am Lifetime Gold now and was trying to get to Lifetime Platinum before the end of this year. I think I would have the number of points but not nights. I will be given LIfetime Platinum Status in the new program, so I don't think there is any need to try and chase Lifetime Platinum Status now.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Points transferred from spg do not count
Points transferred from your wife (note that more than 50k can be transferred, as long as it's once per year and in order to complete a (potentially-cancellable) reservation.

So theoretically you could buy 50k Mr, so could your wife, you could buy 30k spg and transfer them to your wife's spg, and your wife could buy 4k spg herself., Your wife would then transfer 34k spg to her Mr account (=102k) add the 50k she has purchased and transfer the 152k to you.... Add 50k you purchase yourself and you have just legitimately added 202k points to your MR account.

Interesting. So I could theoretically make a 180K point reservation by calling Marriott and asking them to rollover 152K of her points to my account and those points would all count toward my LT status?

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. So I could theoretically make a 180K point reservation by calling Marriott and asking them to rollover 152K of her points to my account and those points would all count toward my LT status?
Yes 100% ... BUT needs a little organising as they can only transfer EXACTLY the points required to complete the reservation (to the nearest 1000) ... This annual one time exception is explicitly defined in writing in the MR Ts&Cs but I'm on a mobile device so don't have the link easily to hand.

Not for this purpose but in order to purchase a travel package before they disappear I transferred 162000 points to my wife's account last night. Transfer process finished a few hours ago. .... Perhaps took 18 hours total to complete.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With the new system, it looks like the number of points does not matter for lifetime status? Was there anything that said timeshare stay nights will/won't count toward lifetime status. Also for the 50 nights for suite upgrades is that 50 paid nights or do timeshare nights, credit card nights, free stays count? I am Lifetime Gold now and was trying to get to Lifetime Platinum before the end of this year. I think I would have the number of points but not nights. I will be given LIfetime Platinum Status in the new program, so I don't think there is any need to try and chase Lifetime Platinum Status now.

I don't know what the requirements will be at the end of the year. I do not want to be LT Gold in the new system. I want to be LT Gold in the current system before August. Then I would be LT Platinum in the new system. Basically I would keep the same perks as I have now.

If I do not get 200K MR Points before August, there is a chance I will not have the ability to be LT Platinum in the new system and would end up LT Gold, which has no value to me. That would be equal to today's LT Silver.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes 100% ... BUT needs a little organising as they can only transfer EXACTLY the points required to complete the reservation (to the nearest 1000) ... This annual one time exception is explicitly defined in writing in the MR Ts&Cs but I'm on a mobile device so don't have the link easily to hand.

Not for this purpose but in order to purchase a travel package before they disappear I transferred 162000 points to my wife's account last night. Transfer process finished a few hours ago. .... Perhaps took 18 hours total to complete.

Great! And the 162K showed up in her lifetime stats?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the requirements will be at the end of the year. I do not want to be LT Gold in the new system. I want to be LT Gold in the current system before August. Then I would be LT Platinum in the new system. Basically I would keep the same perks as I have now.

If I do not get 200K MR Points before August, there is a chance I will not have the ability to be LT Platinum in the new system and would end up LT Gold, which has no value to me. That would be equal to today's LT Silver.
You have up until Dec 31st 2018 to gain lifetime status under the old criteria. By converting your 2 2019 Marriott timeshare now, you will get the credit in Oct or so. You will make lifetime Gold under current criteria. The new program will then make it lifetime platinum.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have up until Dec 31st 2018 to gain lifetime status under the old criteria. By converting your 2 2019 Marriott timeshare now, you will get the credit in Oct or so. You will make lifetime Gold under current criteria. The new program will then make it lifetime platinum.

I believe this new program (and the 12/31/2018 deadline) is deliberately designed to indirectly force people into turning their weeks into Marriott Reward Points (which they otherwise wouldn't have done).

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great! And the 162K showed up in her lifetime stats?
I haven't checked but they are normal transferred points so no reason why not.

Assume unless I edit that I will check this evening and that they did count towards her lifetime total

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

This would be the best possible news. I never saw the 12/31/18 date mentioned for LT status. Can you tell me where you read this?

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked but they are normal transferred points so no reason why not.

Assume unless I edit that I will check this evening and that they did count towards her lifetime total

So the news is mixed.

1. The CSR messed up and only transferred 59k points so I will have to call back and get someone competent

2. My wife's lifetime total went up by 50k

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I pasted that paragraph in one of the posts. Here it is again.
Here is the verbiage on the new lifetime elite program and grandfathering.

In August, we’ll have three Lifetime Elite tiers, each with its own nights and Elite tenure thresholds. Once you achieve a Lifetime Elite tier, you’ll never go below it, and your points will never expire. If you have previously achieved Lifetime Elite status in Rewards or SPG, we will honor that Lifetime Elite status in the new program (see below). In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program. Members will have until year-end 2018 to complete stays in order to achieve the Lifetime Elite status thresholds to be grandfathered in at the previous thresholds for Rewards or SPG.

Existing Lifetime Elite members will receive the following status in August:

SPG:
  • Lifetime Gold members receive Lifetime Gold Elite status
  • Lifetime Platinum members receive Lifetime Platinum Elite status.
MARRIOTT REWARDS/THE RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS:
  • Lifetime Silver Elite members receive Lifetime Silver Elite status.
  • Lifetime Gold Elite members receive Lifetime Platinum Elite status.
  • Lifetime Platinum Elite members are grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes you can prepay your maintenance fees. I saw a place to do that last year when I paid my MF for 2018. And yes, you can deposit your weeks for MRP now as well.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott takes their time to deposit the points, which is independent of whether you prepay MF or not. I have been putting in my MRP conversion in March but they will only show up around Oct. But timing should not be a problem as you have until year end to achieve the current Lifetime Gold Elite.

I am in a similar boat. I have 2M points but short on nights. By Dec 31st, I have been tracking to 498 nights. We just took out our Marriott Visa and plan to put 6K spending on it for the next couple of months to get the 2 nights.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score

Please see my new thread New Chase Bank Marriott credit card . Sign up bonus is 100,000 points. My thread is in this Marriott forum. And yes, the purchase of 50,000 points directly from Marriott count towards lifetime.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so happy I completed the necessary nights for LT Platinum Elite status at the end of 2017.

Most of my earned nights were from timeshare stays but a lot were from using Rewards for stays.

I wonder if that will change in August. I hope timeshare nights and reward nights will still count toward elite status.

Here's another wrinkle, and it may have been covered already (sorry:shrug:),but will the Chairman's Club MVCI Elite Level still equate to Platinum Elite---soon to be Marriott Platinum Premier Elite Status??

Status
Not open for further replies.