• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPG Marriott Unification

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting - we had a thread going. Now I guess the 5* wait with baited breathe to ensure that Platinum for Life is a continued perk and one that we know the developers pay for us to have to entice us to buy more. If that is the case we come out pretty decent.

Big changes on the Amex Card - devalued by 33% from what I read....but the important benefits seem to be intact......

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMG-marriott-new-elite-benefits-chart2-e1523907600652.png

The new elite tiers strongly favor Platinum members and higher — the fact that suites are included in best-available room upgrades is a major bonus. But you’ll also be able to choose to receive five Suite Night Awards at the Platinum level and an additional five Suite Night Awards at the Platinum Premier level. Marriott has informed us that members who achieved Platinum status prior to the launch of the combined program in August and chose Suite Night Awards for their choice option will receive 10 Suite Night Awards for this year.

Also, according to Marriott, the breakfast offering for Platinum and Platinum Premier members will be available at 23 of the 29 participating brands, as well as all resorts.

The new program will also be keeping the SPG transfer bonus that offered an extra 5,000 airline miles when converting 20,000 SPG points.

Credit to ThePointsGuy.com

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also have an email in to Thomas on behalf of the 5* members - asking about two very important items. Platinum for Life and Options to Points. Will it continue. The Platinum was always a bit watered down from the suite guarantee upgrade - if you stayed 50 nights you would get the option to lock in 10; but you got upgrades if available at checkin. We shall see.

For the most part - could have been way worse. Credit cards will be interesting to study -and one positive (slight) is the Visa option.

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
Overall, I'm very pleased. They've kept the gold and platinum benefits pretty similar to the current SPG structure, so I'd imagine the same status benefits will continue for Vistana members (all members to Gold, 5* members to Platinum). But hopefully, they will confirm that soon.

I'm also very curious as to how they will determine the new point conversion values, and I hope they announce something soon.

As it stands now, with the 3:1 conversion, it seems to work out better than before in many cases. (Ex: My current total conversion points of 84,000 will not even get me three nights at the top SPG properties. In the new program, it *should* convert to 252,000 points, which would be enough points for 4 nights at a top-tier Marriott/Starwood property.)

I assume they will officially allow the timeshare Starpoints to be converted into the main system (since they technically don't currently allow timeshare points to be converted to Marriott points)? If they don't, it would put me in a very tough spot!!

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vistana will still give 5* Elites the Platinum in new Marriott.
StarPoints will become new Marriott Points X3.
Gold will become new Marriott Gold.

Question is: Will New Platinum include the 50 Night (5 Suite Nights)? Seems it might for next year and even include 10 Suite Nights. Unsure after....

New credit cards don't cut it. Get the Chase Sapphire Reserve !

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score

Question is: Will New Platinum include the 50 Night (5 Suite Nights)? Seems it might for next year and even include 10 Suite Nights. Unsure after....

New credit cards don't cut it. Get the Chase Sapphire Reserve !

Duke - do you have an official confirmation of this, or is this your speculation or best guess. If confirmed this is outstanding news.

I agree on the card - hard to beat the Sapphire Reserve - interesting that Chase competes against itself in that arena and reduces benefits of some other cards.

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)

Did you see this info published somewhere? I couldn't find anything.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You would not believe the number of SPG points I have in my account right now. I need to transfer or do something with them that will benefit us before August 1st.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
I haven't been able to find out yet. do Vistana owners still get the automatic SPG Gold status with the new program? nothing mentions the timeshare end of it. thoughts?

Shansbox

Reaction score
Question, we're staying at the Westin villas property in October. We signed a contract for 50k SPG points, after the 90 minute sit down. We had to prepay. So.... do we get 50k SPG points = 150k Marriott points, or 50k Marriott points... or nothing? Not sure what to do, who to ask.... I appreciate any light you may be able to shed on this predicament.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Question, we're staying at the Westin villas property in October. We signed a contract for 50k SPG points, after the 90 minute sit down. We had to prepay. So.... do we get 50k SPG points = 150k Marriott points, or 50k Marriott points... or nothing? Not sure what to do, who to ask.... I appreciate any light you may be able to shed on this predicament.
We are not exactly sure what you bought? 50K SPG points would convert to 150K MR points if you link your accounts and transfer them. You need to give us more details about what you bought. Did you buy Home Options, Sheraton Flex or perhaps an Explorer Package? How much did you pay?

Shansbox

Reaction score
I believe we bought the explorer package for $2300. Yes, the 50k points would transfer to 150k Marriott points... but our trip isn't until October. They're making the conversion to this new program in august. We don't get the points until we sit down and listen to their presentation... in October. Will they still give us SPG points or will they have to give us marriott points, since SPG will no longer exist?

xbankerME

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Princeville
a follow up question. With Vistana / SO ownership, we get SPG gold status. The SPG/Marriott merger got us matching status with Marriott Rewards...so Marriott Gold status. With the new combined program, it says SPG gold converts to new Gold Elite status starting in August. But Gold Elite Marriott Rewards converts to Platinum Elite status effective August. At launch of the new program in August, are we getting Gold Elite or Platinum Elite status? And going forward at renewal periods, looks like we get downgraded to Gold Elite if we don't meet the nights/spending requirements?

Here is link to the Marriott page: https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/
and link to the SPG announcement page: https://members.marriott.com/spg/

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
a follow up question. With Vistana / SO ownership, we get SPG gold status. The SPG/Marriott merger got us matching status with Marriott Rewards...so Marriott Gold status. With the new combined program, it says SPG gold converts to new Gold Elite status starting in August. But Gold Elite Marriott Rewards converts to Platinum Elite status effective August. At launch of the new program in August, are we getting Gold Elite or Platinum Elite status? And going forward at renewal periods, looks like we get downgraded to Gold Elite if we don't meet the nights/spending requirements?

Here is link to the Marriott page: https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/
and link to the SPG announcement page: https://members.marriott.com/spg/
Until the timeshare companies announce how their integrations will work, it is anybody's guess.

dss

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting new twist. From what I've read MVC nights count towards elite status and earn full points. I wonder if there is a chance that benefit would now be extended to VSN properties since they are essentially affiliated to the same loyalty program. Would be a huge advantage if we received night credits for our VSN stays?

zerodegre

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana
The biggest mystery is how the SPG options will transfer to Marriott points. I own 81,000 options with the ability to covert to 42,000 SPG points. So my question is how many Marriott points for my ownership convert to ?? Anyone call services today and ask!!!?

If they do not offer 3 to 1 conversion it’s going to be a s$&t show.

After augustby the way our AMEXSPG for each dollar spent will give you 2 Marriott points

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have very good information that it will be 3-1 under the new program. So what you used to get in SPG - x3. They will combine all of our accounts

Also Vistana will have a detailed email in 2 days. Marriott requested they hold off for 2 days. They are ready have lots of good news and i believe most will be happy. You can’t please anyone but in my conversation today with a very high up Vistana employee you should be very happy!!! I am 5* and I am very pleased with what i heard. The rumors and panic were once again misinformation, to no ones surprise.

zerodegre

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana
Hope that part is true... but it is a big deal for those who have the AMEX SPG card .. they devalued the card by 33%

now you will get 2 marriott points per dollar after august instead of 3. It will pretty much be useless.

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
The SPG Card was never going to stay that good. But i have found Amex more and more challenging to use. Plus chase reserve is tough to beat. But having a visa option is great and 15 nights credit is way better than 5

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest mystery is how the SPG options will transfer to Marriott points. I own 81,000 options with the ability to covert to 42,000 SPG points. So my question is how many Marriott points for my ownership convert to ?? Anyone call services today and ask!!!?

If they do not offer 3 to 1 conversion it’s going to be a s$&t show.

After augustby the way our AMEXSPG for each dollar spent will give you 2 Marriott points
In the new program, all SPG points will be multiplied by 3 into the "common" points program.

zerodegre

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana
YEs I understand that .. but what happens in next year when i convert my options to Marriott points.. how many will i get ?? You got confirmation that you would get 3 marriott points from owners services? for example you are saying my 81,000 Star Options will give me 126,000 marriott points... now my 81,000 gives me 42,000 SPG??

After August SPG will no longer exist in any form

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
YEs I understand that .. but what happens in next year when i convert my options to Marriott points.. how many will i get ?? You got confirmation that you would get 3 marriott points from owners services? for example you are saying my 81,000 Star Options will give me 126,000 marriott points... now my 81,000 gives me 42,000 SPG??

No. Nothing to do with Star Options. SPG points convert to 3 in the new points system. Marriott points go straight across as 1:1. It was covered in the session. When you opt for starpoints conversion from your Vistana time, you get your 1 SPG point to become 3 points in the new system.

There is no more "Marriott" points. They have not named the new program yet. Right now the new program is simply called "points".

The part that all of us should be very concerned is that it appears that there will be major devaluation of the points system again. See below.

I have been converting all my timeshare every other year into Starpoints and MRPs. Unless Vistana and MVC both increase the points conversion, I will never convert my timeshare into hotel points ever again.

Free Night Award Chart

Category Standard Effective August / Off-Peak Coming 2019 / Peak Coming 2019
1 7,500 5,000 10,000
2 12,500 10,000 15,000
3 17,500 15,000 20,000
4 25,000 20,000 30,000
5 35,000 30,000 40,000
6 50,000 40,000 60,000
7 60,000 50,000 70,000
8 Coming 2019 85,000 70,000 100,000

zerodegre

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana
Right but after August there will never be SPG points again... How do you know what star options will convert to is my question.. I understand that our current SPG points will go to 3 marriott in August.. but the session does not discuss ownership in Vistana. After august there will never ever be an SPG again created only Marriott points..

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

When you convert your week to SPG points, you get 42,000 SPG points. In the future you should get 126,000 MR points instead.